Tail Spade

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
TheSpike
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Tail Spade

Post by TheSpike »

Hey Scrawlers, Im new here!
even tho Ive been lurking for awhile, Ive finally decided to reveal myself... anyway, this is my question:

What is the spade on Kurts tail made of?

I used to think it was bone, but it would be impossible for it to be so flexible if it was bone-ish, so, what do you guys think?
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power, Green Lantern's light! "
--Green Lantern's Oath

Inferno (on TV): "BUUUURRRRRRRRN!"
Butt-head: "Hey, Beavis, he said 'burn'."
Beavis: "Yeah! Yeah! 'Burn' is cool! Fire, fire, fire!"
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Tail Spade

Post by Garble »

Well the center of it probably has bone like the rest of his tail, but I always assumed the bulk of it was muscle. Like your tounge.

as I was typing that I knew where this thread would eventually go...

I guess it's possible there might be some sort of bone structure in the spade itself.
This seems like a good question for Dave.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Tail Spade

Post by Bamfette »

cartelige. like in your ear or nose. soft enough to be flexible, rigid enough to keep the shape.
TheSpike
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Tail Spade

Post by TheSpike »

Well, th movie one surely is bone...

However, it could be just like very little bones connected by muscle...

And, if it was cartillage, i dont think he would be able to bend it and do such stuff...
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power, Green Lantern's light! "
--Green Lantern's Oath

Inferno (on TV): "BUUUURRRRRRRRN!"
Butt-head: "Hey, Beavis, he said 'burn'."
Beavis: "Yeah! Yeah! 'Burn' is cool! Fire, fire, fire!"
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Tail Spade

Post by Garble »

I was thinking about that too. But it couldn't be solid cartilage like your ear or nose or he wouldn't be able to operate it like a hand the way he does. I can wiggle my ears and nose a little but I don't think I could hold and fire a pistol with them. ;)

Could be a system of tendons connected to muscles elsewhere in the tail. Like the way your fingers are operated by muscles in your forearm...
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Tail Spade

Post by LadyErin »

Maybe cartilage with tendons and muscles connected? But yes, this is defintely a Dave question. *Yells: Dave, We need you!!!!!!* *Crosses fingers and hopes he hears*

PS: I think I'm getting slap-happy at this point....need :Z
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Tail Spade

Post by Elwing »

My personal pet theory is that it is a tuft of hair. Maybe he cuts it onto shape himself. After all, nothing like it is seen in the animal kingdom... But it probably is cartiledge, like jill said...
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Tail Spade

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

Yeah, cartiledge it what I thought immediatley. the center of it is prolly bone and muscle like the rest of the tail, but the spade itself is cartiledge.
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Tail Spade

Post by Bamfette »

nononono.... you guys arent getting what i was saying. when has he EVER bent the lillte triangley bit at the end, just by thinking about it? bones along the length of it, yes. of course, that has to be. (though an elephants trunk has not a single bone NOR cartelidge, it is entirely tendons and muscle, and can lift tree trunks, but we wont go there. tails on the whole are made up of bone.) but think of the spade tip as TWO small triangles of cartelidge on either side of the bone.

Cartelidge DOES come in varying degrees of hardness. don't forget, a shark's skeleton is nearly entirely made up of cartelidge, and sharks are far from weak.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Tail Spade

Post by sevati »

*laughs and tries to figure out how much shark week Jill has seen*

I agree with the idea his spade/tail muscles are located higher up like fingers are controlled in our arms, and that the tail-spade itself is cartilage. Practically unmoveable, but shark-hard cartilage. Still, even that strong, if it were to get caught on anything, I think it would rip sorta like your ear would. Has anyone ever seen a scar from 'some girl's earring getting caught on something and whoops, that'll need stitches'? Say the earring ripped straight down. From that trauma, the earlobe tears apart and stretches a little bit(?), sometimes a jagged tear, sometimes clean-cut. I knew a girl in my photo class that happened to, she had a tiny red scar, but her ears were roughly the same size and shape. Do you think Kurt worries about this?
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Rine Wagner
Lubber
Lubber

Tail Spade

Post by Rine Wagner »

That probably wouldn't be too much of a problem unless he gets his tail pierced or something. If someone's ear gets ripped like that it's almost certain to have been caused by an earring getting snagged or pulled. One of the reasons I never want my ears pieced actually. :)
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Tail Spade

Post by Maelstrom »

I'm assuming we're talking Canon Nightcrawler, here, who has a relatively small and delicate spade at the tip of his tail. MovieCrawler's spade is really big, and it does curl around and grab stuff, in a similar manner as an elephant's trunk.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Tail Spade

Post by Siona »

image.php?iid=1402

On the cover of Wolverine #6, it looks like he's bending the tip slightly.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Tail Spade

Post by Maelstrom »

Yeah, and it also looks MUCH more like MovieCrawler's tail than CanonCrawler's, though without those bumpy ridges halfway up. Maybe the artist used a synthesis of both for their inspiration.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Tail Spade

Post by Siona »

Why does Wolvie look so pissed? Ah, well, we all know he's just hiding his inner joy of seeing Fuzzy nekkid. :cracked

I kinda liked the ridges on M. 'crawler's tail, made him a little more...demonic.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Tail Spade

Post by Gaz »

I've always thought of Kurt's tail being either almost hairless or with really short fur, and the spade being flexible but firm, like the skin of a dolphin (or shark). I imagine the spade being made of muscle, and could move and wiggle, but, like a finger, could only bend in one direction.... that's just my opinion though........:tail
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Tail Spade

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

ooo.......skin of a shark? Very abrasive. I don't think he could have that type of skin. T'ain't a reason for it...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Tail Spade

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
ooo.......skin of a shark? Very abrasive. I don't think he could have that type of skin. T'ain't a reason for it...
I agree. The shark's tough, abrasive denticles (which look kind of like "scales" under a microscope) are that way to create a micro-turbulence in the water, which makes its swimming that much more smooth, silent, and fast. Not much call for that in a medium as thin as air, especially when you've got fur to worry about as well. After all, they used sharkskin in China, Japan, and other sea-faring countries as sandpaper, and as a hilt wrapping, for hundreds of years.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Tail Spade

Post by Siona »

Man, Maelstrom, just WHERE doyou get this kind of info?!

You some kind of super genius? :computer

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Tail Spade

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by Siona
Man, Maelstrom, just WHERE doyou get this kind of info?!

You some kind of super genius? :computer

~Siona
I watch a LOT of Discovery, TLC, PBS, and the History Channel :D. It's incredible the stuff you can find on there. Also, I constantly web surf for information for my stories, and it's proven invaluable for research material. That's how I get the medical aspects of my fiction so close.

I just did some research on the actual Romani for an idea about Nighty's past and upbringing, and it's been a real eye-opener. :shocked Put bluntly, if the Rom were anything in the Marvel universe like they are in real life, Margali Szardos would have left Kurt to die of exposure. He was obviously full of bad spirits, and as unclean (marime) as you could possibly get. He'd be an outcast among outcasts.

I'm going to try and be "real life" with this background story, so I'm going to have an interesting time explaining why he was allowed to live among the Rom. I think I have it worked out, but it needs some fine tuning. :computer

(Oh, and in case you're intersted, I had my IQ tested at 147-154 :D) (*BAD MAELSTROM! NO BLOWING YOUR OWN HORN!*) (Huh? How did you get in here-- *smack!.... ow.....)
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Tail Spade

Post by Siona »

Originally posted by MaelstromI watch a LOT of Discovery, TLC, PBS, and the History Channel :D. It's incredible the stuff you can find on there. Also, I constantly web surf for information for my stories, and it's proven invaluable for research material. That's how I get the medical aspects of my fiction so close.
Ah-HA! Proof I need to watch more TV!! :eeevil
I just did some research on the actual Romani for an idea about Nighty's past and upbringing, and it's been a real eye-opener. :shocked Put bluntly, if the Rom were anything in the Marvel universe like they are in real life, Margali Szardos would have left Kurt to die of exposure. He was obviously full of bad spirits, and as unclean (marime) as you could possibly get. He'd be an outcast among outcasts.

I'm going to try and be "real life" with this background story, so I'm going to have an interesting time explaining why he was allowed to live among the Rom. I think I have it worked out, but it needs some fine tuning. :computer
Yes...*wringing hands*...I can see it now! Raised by this one accepting woman...but shunned by the others!! *runs off to write fic, all the while cackling* :cracked

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Tail Spade

Post by Maelstrom »

Yes...*wringing hands*...I can see it now! Raised by this one accepting woman...but shunned by the others!! *runs off to write fic, all the while cackling* :cracked

~Siona
:shocked MY GOD! What have I done?! The horror... the horror...:shocked

....and make sure to share it with us when you finish, eh? :D
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Tail Spade

Post by Siona »

I will!...if I ever finish it. I STILL haven't finished my first Kurt/Ororo fic "Shadows of the Past" and two fluffy one-pieces, also Kuroro.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Tail Spade

Post by Maelstrom »

I will!...if I ever finish it. I STILL haven't finished my first Kurt/Ororo fic "Shadows of the Past".
Yeah... I NOTICED THAT. :yell Don't you be leavin us hangin', girl! Don't you make me start pouting and doin' the "puppy dog eyes" thing.... :puppy

(Oh, dammit, NOW see what you started?)
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Tail Spade

Post by Siona »

Noooooo!! Not the puppy eyes!! I can't take the puppy eyes!! :bawl

I WOULD get on it...but I'm stuck between this scene of introducing Beast and Gambit or another...eeeeeevil scheme. :eeevil

~Siona

-- SheCat.