Question about Bamfing....

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Mr. Me
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Mr. Me »

I may just be butting in, but it seems he can push aside anything with less density or mass than his body. Therefore, the line is drawn by anything of equal or greater mass/density.

And, by what I've seen, he can't 'port things to him, he can only port himself (and passengers) to other places.
swordwhalewalking
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by swordwhalewalking »

Bamf question:

I had a brainfart about one of my own characters being able to track/teleport; that is: pick up an object once carried by someone, and teleport to that person (the way a tracking dog could find someone by scenting a piece of their clothing).

Has Nighty ever done anything like this? Could he simply pick up an object and 'port to a person who had used it? He'd have to have a very clear image of a specific person who had touched it, or a specific time or place, I'd guess, because the object could have been many places and in many hands.

Where's that darn Science of X-men Encyclopedia, anyway???
"What a ship is...is freedom"
(Captain Jack Sparrow, swashbuckler at large)

Ar im padathon vi eryn endor vain hen, i na idh far." ("And I will walk in the woods of this fair land which is rest enough." Legolas, Return of the King)

all the best men are married, dead, gay or fictional
swordwhalewalking
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by swordwhalewalking »

Originally posted by Gaz
Oh yah, could he bamf into water and all of it be pushed aside? if he were underwater, could he bamf pockets of air towards his nose or mouth to help him breathe? If he can bamf into gases and liquids, where is the line drawn between liquid and solid? Could he bamf into jello painlessly? :lick....uh oh..........*head explodes again*
But every 33 feet you get another atmosphere of pressure and the air is denser and takes up less space. At at 99 feet you are in four atmospheres and your lungful of air is four times as dense and takes up 1/4th the space and....uh...oh nevermind. If he bamfs to the deck of the Titanic the pressure would still kill him. (375 atmospheres, 2 1/2 miles down)
"What a ship is...is freedom"
(Captain Jack Sparrow, swashbuckler at large)

Ar im padathon vi eryn endor vain hen, i na idh far." ("And I will walk in the woods of this fair land which is rest enough." Legolas, Return of the King)

all the best men are married, dead, gay or fictional
Gambit
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Gambit »

i dont think he can teleport with his eyes closed,mon ami.He needs to see where he is goin:eek
Family Tree
Now known as Metlord. >.>

Hello, everyone.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

Originally posted by Gambit
i dont think he can teleport with his eyes closed,mon ami.He needs to see where he is goin
Nope, he can with his eyes closed. He can port back to his room at the mansion without having it in his line-of-sight. So that means it wouldn't matter whether or not his eyes were open or closed. Now if he was porting to somewhere he's never been before but is in his field of vision, he would need to have his eyes open and be aware of all his surroundings.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

That's why it would be dangerous though, because he might port back to his room because he remembers what it looks like but there could be someone there and he could bamf into them. That's why i think bamfing at the ceiling and landing would be the smartest thing to do.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Born Blue »

That's why it would be dangerous though, because he might port back to his room because he remembers what it looks like but there could be someone there and he could bamf into them. That's why i think bamfing at the ceiling and landing would be the smartest thing to do.
Although my spelling might be off, he has something called "spatial awareness" to help him deal with it. Don't worry if you've never heard the term before, Marvel has only given a loose definition of what the term means. But basically he has a slight form of protection when it comes to porting into objects.
------ The Man who used to be Man of Letters ------
Well wadda know, I got a Nightcrawler fansite too!
------ http://respect-the-elf.freeservers.com/ -------
Sock Munkey
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Sock Munkey »

I always wondered if it were possible for him to let go of someone or something mid 'port and leave it in that other dimension he uses. That would be like the ultimate weapon since he could just dump anyone there and leave them to choke on the sulpher fumes, even someone like Juggernaut.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

well, someone left there wouldn't die. atleast, not from the atmosphere. i suppose they could fall to their death or be killed by thedenizens there, but... the X-Men seem perfectly fine breathing the air there right now in Uncanny :p

i doubt he has the awareness or reflexes to be able to do that, though. he's normally only in that dimension for a short while, a fraction of a second. to use his teleportation as a deadly weapon, it would be more effective for him to do as heid in AoA, ad teleport away with a portion of his enemy, like, oh, say... their head :p death would be instantaneous.

but Kurt's personality would not allow for that, even if he is technically capable of it.
Sock Munkey
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Sock Munkey »

See, it's the fact that he won't 'port somones head off that would make dumping them in another dimension appeal to him since it's a pretty decisive yet non-violent way to deal with a threat.
Yann Solo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Yann Solo »

Originally posted by Bamfette
the X-Men seem perfectly fine breathing the air there right now in Uncanny :p
What? :shocked What are the x-men doing in the bamf dimention? What the heck is happenning in the Uncanny comic? :eek
"Faut pas prendre les gens pour des cons, mais faut pas perdre de vue qu'ils le sont." :gambit
"You mustn't tell people they're stupid, but never forget they are." :D
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

Originally posted by Yann Solo
What? :shocked What are the x-men doing in the bamf dimention? What the heck is happenning in the Uncanny comic? :eek
Yann- viewthread.php?tid=2512 it's being discussed in detail right now. Spoilers ahead!

Basically [spoiler]Kurt's father is in the process of being revealed (ok, he's revealed, we know his name and what he looks like, but we don't know HIS backstory yet). Anywho, Daddykins and/or his army of minions controlled Kurt and Abyss, to name a few, into summoning Daddykins and his aforementioned minions back onto earth (they had been stuck in a dimension for several thousand(?) years). However, and I forgot how this part happens, everyone ends up in the BAMF dimension, where Angel's blood burns Kurt and Abyss doesn't suck things into his body, but things fly out- including Mystique![/spoiler]
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Originally posted by Sock Munkey
See, it's the fact that he won't 'port somones head off that would make dumping them in another dimension appeal to him since it's a pretty decisive yet non-violent way to deal with a threat.
may be technically non-violent we realize now but i still don't think Kurt would do it.

1. up until now, (and probably even now he doesn't realize where he is) he had NO IDEA what the dimension he ported through was really like. he had no way of knowing if it was deadly or not. i believe he would err on the side of caution.

2. they may not die instantly over there, but they are as good as dead. they are stuck there in a hostile landscape (it is exceptionally hot and dry there. kinda like being stuck in the middle of the desert, except there is no end EVER to the desert) with a hostile war-like group of beings, and no way to get back. If Kurt was to teleport someone a few miles away than return to the fight. hey, no problem. the person teleported away may be inconvenienced, but not dramatically so. if teleported to his Bamfing dimension, they are in effect exiled form the earth for the rest of their lives. while this may be something he would be willing to do for a REALLY nasty bad guy, in very EXTREME situations, most people he fights, i don't believe he would be willig to play judge and jury for them by sending tem to a completely alien dimension forever.
Originally posted by sevati

Basically [spoiler]Kurt's father is in the process of being revealed (ok, he's revealed, we know his name and what he looks like, but we don't know HIS backstory yet). Anywho, Daddykins and/or his army of minions controlled Kurt and Abyss, to name a few, into summoning Daddykins and his aforementioned minions back onto earth (they had been stuck in a dimension for several thousand(?) years). However, and I forgot how this part happens, everyone ends up in the BAMF dimension, where Angel's blood burns Kurt and Abyss doesn't suck things into his body, but things fly out- including Mystique![/spoiler]
to clarify how they got there: [spoiler]The X-Men had tracked Kurt to the Isla Des Demonas in the Carribean, where in 428, Azazel had said he was the ruler, and in 423, Kurt and Alex had gone and witnessed the discovery of mutant/demon skeletons from a pre-egyptian civilization. anyway. Kurt and several other were forming a circle and were involved in a ritual to open a portal. the X-Men werent too pleased with this, and a fight ensued between them and the dudes coming out of the portal. in the process, Bobby exploded and was left as nothing more than an ice head with moving eyes and mouth, and the portal imploded, taking the X-Men and a poor archaeologist with it. so now they are there, and tho it actually hasn't been revealed, i realize now, it really is the dimension that Kurt teleports thru, tho Azzy implies that it is Hell. which actually isn't inaccurate. [/spoiler]
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

I had another thought/question..

If there were two identical rooms (Room A and Room B) and Kurt had only seen the inside of Room A, would he be able to bamf into Room B, knowing they were identical.....

I guess Algebra did come in handy.......
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
CuteLittleBamf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by CuteLittleBamf »

I don't think so because doesn’t he work more on places in space, that’s why he is more directionally aware of his surroundings. And the rooms wouldn't be in the same space. Than again I'm just guessing.
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

That's kind of an interesting topic Gaz. I think he might be able to do that but then again, I'm not the writer, so I wouldn't know... at least not yet.
Nightgamer
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Nightgamer »

well, in the game, next dimension, ure in what appears to be the bamfing dimension (if u use his most special move) and its black with purple fumes, and u move in slow mo and the other guy is motionless, then u port out and do a # of attacks depending what u did to him in there, except they are 2 fast 2 see....but its a video game, so....
:icey acolyte of iceman :icey
:kiwi acolyte of kiwi :kiwi
:avalanche avalanche is cool too :avalanche

Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass :bamf(CCCC) Member #35 :bamf
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Originally posted by Gaz
I had another thought/question..

If there were two identical rooms (Room A and Room B) and Kurt had only seen the inside of Room A, would he be able to bamf into Room B, knowing they were identical.....

I guess Algebra did come in handy.......
He would so long as he knew where the room was... Like if he were standing outside the door.

Remember that his only teleporting to places he can see or knows about is not a physical limitation of his power, but more of a psychological limitation. Kurt has never teleported into solid matter and has no idea what would happen, so he is very careful not to teleport someplace where there is a chance he will apear in already occupied space.
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Ooh, the physics of bamfing. I agree with whomever mentioned that he couldn't displace anything with a greater mass than himself. I don't know about density, though, I mean, a pebble's got greater density than me, but I can definately kick it around.

What about displacing people, though? I was just thinking... What if Kurt teleported to right next to a person? They're not firmly anchored down, and, especially if they're smaller than him, he could probably knock them down instead of bamfing inside of them... He kinda does this when he bamfs up to punch someone.

But, what if the person was, say, Colossus? Kurt would definately not be able to displace him, so would kurt end up half- inside Colossus, or kinda bounce off him, like he was displaced instead?

Er, I guess what I'm wondering about is how 'anchored' Kurt's destination is. To take other people out of the equation, what if Kurt tried to teleport to a place where his shoulder and arm would end up inside a metal wall. Kurt can't move the metal wall so that his arm would be outside of it, but the wall can 'move' Kurt away from it, so that he stays whole.

I guess this is kind of like his spatial awareness, why he doesn't teleport his feet below the floor. As long as it's only a minor part of his body, and he's got enough room to, his teleport destination will be unconciously 'moved' to where it wouldn't hurt him.

I wonder how much of his fear of solid objects is unfounded? we know he has this spacial awareness, I wonder how hard it would be for him to actually teleport himself into something?
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

I'

what are these marks wich people are saying all the time? :smirk
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

The way I'd look at it, his dimensional portal opens, and as it opens large enough to fit him, it pushes against anything it hits, moving the object or the portal. If the dead center of the portal was inside the object, it would be messy. otherwise, there's enough force to keep him from fusing to his destination.
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Originally posted by Nightcrawler ZERO
The way I'd look at it, his dimensional portal opens, and as it opens large enough to fit him, it pushes against anything it hits, moving the object or the portal. If the dead center of the portal was inside the object, it would be messy. otherwise, there's enough force to keep him from fusing to his destination.
*g* That's what I thought... Although, now I have an interesting physics problem running through my head; If Nightcrawler bamfs while having a velocity of 10 m/s (muahah) and teleports to 5mm away from a steel wall... how far will he bounce? (or squish, whichever)