Should Nightcrawler lead the Uncanny X-Men?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Malice
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Malice »

First off I'd like to say that I have been away from here for a long long time, so if this was brought up or anything in the past I truly apologize.

Should Nightcrawler lead the Uncanny X-Men? I mean, he has the experience to do so but in all honesty, in my eyes he doesn't have the presense (Please don't throw sharp objects, I bleed easily) :eek

Warren looks like he could manage it, and it looked to me like Havok was blurting out orders in the last Uncanny X-Men I read. Both seem very sutable to me. Anyway, its just an opinion. I still love the fuzzy dude! :D
Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#4

"Are you ever wrong?"
"I thought I was once ...but it turned out I was wrong."
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Kurt in UC #423 told Scott that he was sharing leadership of the team with Warren. But as of UC #425 it seems Havok has taken responsibility over for Warren by inviting Juggernaut to be part of the team. Kurt as a leader? He can lead, but Kurt tends to play a little as well. I'd rather see him as a team member than a leader. And, yes, I love the blue fuzzy elf too!:tail
NightFlight
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NightFlight »

I don't think Kurt wants the responsibility of leadership, although he leads effectively when he has to. He became team leader in Excalibur because Brian had his problems and was unreliable, and everyone else looked to him anyway. It wasn't really something he chose.
And though they tell you I am lost
and their words report my death is come
the fates have left me breathing still
very much alive
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Kurt IS leading the team.... after Holy War, he and Havok are co-leading... and i think he'll fo a fine job.
msgt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Warren

Post by msgt »

I still think Warren should lead the team. He's an original X-man. I don't see why Alex and Kurt should be the leaders. Sure they got experience, but still Warren has been at the game longer and is a founding member.

mike
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

so is Bobby, doesn't mean i want him him leading a team...
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Kurt was the team leader of Excalibur...that means he has experience.
I think Kurt will do a good job, he was a great team leader in Excalibur. :)
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

O! Kurtlover took my point! Kurt was a lead roll in Excalibur and I thought he did very well. So why would Uncanny be any different?
Malice
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Malice »

Well, in Excalibur he sort of got forced into being the leader. Brian had his alcholic problem and the rest of the team just sort of looked at Nightcrawler for answers and leadership. I remember a brief stint as leader of the X-Men from way back before Excalibur was formed, when Storm took leave. He was very unsure of himself then, and gained more confidence when he was in Excalibur. It looks like he can do the job when needed, but I would much rather see Warren or Alex take the helm. Just my opinion. :) Nighty still RULEZ!

"Are you ever wrong?"
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bamf Bunny »

Though when Kurt led the Uncanny team back when (it's in the 190 range), he was bad at the job and always frustrated. He seemed more comfortable as a team member than wielding the authority - and the accompanying separation - that came with being the boss.

He was a good leader in Excalibur, though - maybe because Kitty'd come to look up to him over the years, and Rachel, Captain Britain, and Meggan were too screwed up to want the job.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Born Blue »

Kurt used to lead the X-Men waaaaaaay back in the day.
------ The Man who used to be Man of Letters ------
Well wadda know, I got a Nightcrawler fansite too!
------ http://respect-the-elf.freeservers.com/ -------
Yma
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Yma »

I'm not sure how good a team leader Kurt would make.
I don't think he has the right attitude, to be honest. I think that, when he's around people whom he looks up to, and I mean REALLY admires (e.g. storm, Cyclopse, Wolverine) he'd probably want to differ leadership. It think part of him wants to live up to peoples... expectations, to prove himself. He'd be uncomfortable doing that in a leadership position.
Gah, I made him sound so insecure, which he's not but.. I think he would be a little bit self concious as a leader.
I mean, take Scott. Now, Scott would never sit back and ask himself, 'would Warren/Jean/Hank... ect. do the same thing I've done? Was I a good enough leader compared to... He's secure in his own decision making process, and (with the exception of Xavier) he doesn't feel to selfconcious about his decisions.
Kurt, on the other hand, I think would feel a bit that way. We must remember, with Excalaber, most of the members were junior. I mean, Kitty's and Rachel were both fairly young, Meggan (from what little I know) did't seem to be big in the superhero buisness, and Captain Britain was drunk most of the time. So there was no one really for Kurt to look up to, to live up to, unlike his stint leading the X-men.
Now, he did a great job in Excaleber, and I think he'd do a fine job leading the X-men, but I don't think he'd like it or be comfortable, and I do think that, long term, it's better he share that responsiblity with someone, e.g. Angel.
Just my opinion, please don't hit me too hard, ok?
I currently lack a witty signature. Isn't it tragic?
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

and that is exactly why Chuck is having Kurt as CO-Leader with Havok. they are a team, think of it as good-cop bad-cop. Kurt's the good-cop.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

I think that whether Kurt is a good leader or not depends on who is writing him at the moment :)
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

When Kurt was promoted to team leader of teh X-Men way back when he kinda got the job because he was the best they had at the time...the team at that time was:

:bamf :logan :kitty :colossus :rogue

Logan didn't want it...and everyone else was too young
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

Not so much a matter of Kurt second guessing his leadership skills or comparing himself to the leaders of the other teams, the problem lies more in the fact that since Kurt is everyone’s friend the others members of the team don’t really consider him “the boss” and have issues taking orders from him sometimes. It’s much the same problem he had back when he was leader of Excalibur. He's a good leader but he'd probably be at his best as a leader if he had a team started from scrach and not one made up of people that know him well.

Alex really has the most experience leading, as leader of X-Factor, but Warren seems to have the potential to be a good team leader too since he's matured a lot lately. Kurt would probably be happier if he wasn’t leading at the moment and Alex is reasonably the best person to take the reins for the time being, especially since he seems to have gotten over worrying about being as good a leader as Scott, with Kurt and Warren helping him out. The real problem at the moment seems to be the Uncanny team in general. Who’s on the team seems to vary from issue to issue making Uncanny look like a catch all for whoever wants to go on a mission. It makes it hard to get a real team mentality going when everyone is running around doing their own thing.
###Dracadancer's Lair### ---> Your all purpose website

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
This year’s winner of the Foot in the Mouth award Donald Rumsfeld
Malice
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Malice »

I agree with you completely, Dracadancer!
Lately, the Uncanny X-Men do seem like a team of random players.
Its almost as if, and please don't get me wrong because I pretty much
like every character on the Uncanny team, that they are a team of leftover
X-Men after splitting them up with New and Xtreme. I think Chuck is great
but I hope he solidifies the team a bit more though.

"Are you ever wrong?"
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

Yeah, from what I've read lately, there is no real "team" in Uncanny. It's whoever and whenever.

I think Kurt would be a good leader as long as he has someone with him, like now, Havok. I do love kurt very much but I don't think he has the total leader potential.
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
TheSpike
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TheSpike »

We have to considerr that Nightie is in kind of a crisis rite now, having doubts and stuff, so I think Warren or Havok should do it...
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power, Green Lantern's light! "
--Green Lantern's Oath

Inferno (on TV): "BUUUURRRRRRRRN!"
Butt-head: "Hey, Beavis, he said 'burn'."
Beavis: "Yeah! Yeah! 'Burn' is cool! Fire, fire, fire!"
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

I'm guessing this whole Draco thing will be something of a growth experience for Kurt...a real kick in the pants. It'll force him to get his act together and he'll be the type of Nighty he was when he led Excalibur...

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Kurt is kinda over his crisis of faith. that was the whole point of Holy War. as was Cyke's little speech to him. knocked some sense into him abotu his recent behaviour, and he resolved to change that by stepping up to the plate.

anyway, i just want to say that just because he was an unsure leader WAAAAY back, does not mean he will be that way NOW. after he led Excalibur, he grew a great deal, nevermind his first experiences as a leader of the X-Men or the situation that led to him leading Excalibur. that doesn't matter right now. what matters is: was ultimately he good at it? towards the end, did he have the confidence he lacked early on? i say yes. he grew much more confident as a leader over his time as the leader of Excalibur to a much stronger and more confident leader than he was when he started.

and Dracdancer refer to what i said above about good-cop/bad-cop :p I even dug up an email from Chuck Austen where he explained it to me wiht almost your exact words. i had to sift through around 200 messages, better appreciate this :p
> anyway . pleeeeeeeease *big puppy eyes* will you tell me who the leader will
> be after it is resolved? this really has me thinking lately...
> pleaspleaseplease....

Kurt and Havok will share. They become good, fast friends almost instantly
upon Alex waking up, and *censored secret stuff*

Kurt comes to the realization that he wants more responsibility and respect,
but he also wants people to like him too much to be effective all the time.
Some big realizations coming in Holy War. It's in his nature to be genial
and liked, and that's why he's been "technical leader" but not actually BEEN
leader. His personality and fun-loving side tend to lead him into being more
effective as a CO-leader, which Alex also understands about himself.
Together, they are very cool. I love writing them. He and Alex agree to
run things together when *censored secret plans even tho i think they've been changed now*.

he's no Cyclops, but he's not a worthless leader either.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

I never thought Kurt was a bad leader...even when he lead the X-Men way back when he didn't do a completely crappy job. Xavier would never have given him the job if he didn't think he was up to it...Storm wasn't eager to take on the mantle when she first got it either. Kurt's teammates had more faith in him than he had in himself...that probably helped him a lot...

Magic Rabbit
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Magic Rabbit »

Kurt has the experience. He was doing the occasional team leader bit even before Excalibur. He's got the poise as well - most of the other Xmen respect him and are willing to follow him. Though the point was brought up that Kurt is "everyone's friend" and thus can cloud things over a bit.

I don't think Warren should be anywhere near a leadership role: he's a businessman who's proven that he doesn't even know what's going on within his own company. That's not a quality of leadership, that's sheer ineptness. He should take a backseat to Kurt and Alex (who has done his share of leadership as well).

Of course, I keep thinking back on Excalibur: Kurt was basically the leader from the beginning when it was obvious that Brian couldn't do the job.
"If we crash I can't win!" - Speed Racer

:bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny

:blossom :bubbles :buttercup
CuteLittleBamf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by CuteLittleBamf »

I don't think it's fair to judge his leadership right now. He can be a great leader it's just a hard time for him. I wouldn't write him off. I think maybe Alex should be leader temporarily. (I agree with Magic Rabbit, never Warren.) But then when he has things better under control Kurt can take over again.
Malice
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Malice »

I think sharing the role of leader would be best for Kurt. I kind of like the idea actually. Havok just has that presence when he leads, and Nightie is like one of the guys. I know he'll do a good job when he has to lead, but I like the idea of sharing the role. :)

"Are you ever wrong?"