Your Favorite Nightcrawler Artist

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

BESIDES Dave Cockrum...who's your favorite artist for Nightcrawler and if you can, why?

My favorite artist, besides Dave and Jack Kirby, is Alan Davis because he gave Kurt his really cute hair style with the little ruffled bit in front, his high cheek bones, his six pack...and his smile... and...*starts to drool*
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

This topic has been absolutely done to death. But Alan Davis for ever! His Kurt was perfect... perfectly drawn AND perfectly written.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

Don't kill me, but I liked Salvador Larocca's Nighty in X-Treme #18. Sal is one of my favorites for any character, except maybe Madureira.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

some of the best pictures of nighty come from early excalibur- so i say Alan Davis
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Not an expert by any stretch - there are *huge* chunks of Uncanny that I've missed - but from what I've seen I've got to say Larocca did a *gorgeous* Kurt. Like what I've seen of Davis's Excalibur version too.
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

Yeah, the nightcrawler drawing in extreme 18 was pretty good actually...*drifts away again* mmm lol

Any nightcrawler drawing is good actually...as long as he's drawn correctly like, with no pupils and the correct digits on his hands.
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Hmmmm, thinking - and I'm too lazy to go dig up the issues and find the artist's name - that whoever did Ultimate 'Crawler in the Return to Weapon X arc did a really good job too. Liked that look a lot.
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

I really like Davis but Clayton Henry gives him such soft features. I love it. Kurt's usually drawn with a really really cut jawline, which I don't find particularly atractive. Henry still drew him cut in the face but it's not nearly as extreem. I also like that he made him more ethnicly German with his facial structure. I'm absolutely facinated with the subtelties between nationalitie's physical appearances, so I really loved that touch, especialy in the profile.
"Sweet crackers I'm blind!!!!" - Stormy
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Who is Clayton Henry, and when did he draw Kurt? Is he a fill-in artist or something? I always found Davis's interpretation to look very Tuetonic.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

Ultimate GN2 (Return to Weapon X) was penciled by Adam Kubert, I think. One of my favorite artists too. I like Kia Asamiya, Salvador Larocca, Adam Kubert, Mike Allred and Joe Madureira. :D
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

Henry penciled him in the Exiles. I don't usually read that book but I like the art, so when it's in a universe i'm into i read it. I liked what he did whith Nightcrawler when they were in the uncanny universe.
"Sweet crackers I'm blind!!!!" - Stormy
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I think most of you already know my favorite is Alan Davis, perhaps because that's the Nightcrawler that started my obsession. :love

I also like Sal Larocca's NC. The pic in the gallery with him in uniform, his hands spread out makes me weak in the knees. I like some of the Icon's miniseries covers a whole lot (Mael's avatar is the best of the four, even though it's sad). Too bad the cover artist did not do the story arc. I forget the artist name(s).
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Clayton Henry Kurt

I'll just say it's completely not to my taste and leave it at that.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

I like Alan Davis most, obviously....
My other fav Kurt artist? Jill. I love the style of her Kurts. And I'm not butt-kissing or anything! :p
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Shhhh, I'm so rarely positive. Don't ruin it by bringing up the short tail. ;)

And I know I've said it before but I really liked the good posture. He projected confidence.
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

I agree with the posture thing. It doesb't always look good when they have Kurt slouched over with his arms dangling kinda...it makes him look kinda funky.

weapon x
Lubber
Lubber

Post by weapon x »

uh.... during the phalanx covenant.

i think that was handled great.

who was that? maduiera?
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Originally posted by weapon x
uh.... during the phalanx covenant.

i think that was handled great.

who was that? maduiera?
If the entire arc was done by the same artists, it was Ken Lashley and Steve Epting. I just put a pic from Excalibur #82 in the gallery. Kurt is in body armor and reminds me more of AoA, if that was what you were thinking of. It's the only book I have from that arc. Could be different artists if it was one of the arcs that crossed into other books.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

Madureira drew for UXM #325, 330, 326 and 350 (that I know of). He had a hybrid manga style that came with it looking really comic-booky (guys arms were bigger than their heads) but the entire picture was kind of corny enough for it to work. The result looks really cool, but Madureira has no middle ground. Love him or hate him.

The X-Men Visionaries collection is all Madureira art.
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

I agree with Bamf Bunny about Davis' Kurt. Loved his face and body :naughty, but thought the tail was handled badly. Having an extra limb (probably pretty heavy) is going to effect your posture somewhat. I also just prefer a more... 'crouchy' Nighty.

Really, really did not care for the later Excaliber Kurt, shaved head, wierd outfit, almost grotesque looking crotch - don't know who the artist was. But, not my favorite. Unfortunately, he's the Kurt on my X-Men Uno cards :mad

My personal favorite has to be Adam Hughes' Kurt, from the Wildcats crossover. He's just perfect :love Love the coloring on his face also - those stark dark and light planes :D
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

Yeah, the only thing that bothered me about Alan Davis' Kurt was that the tail looked about a foot long, and it varied in hsi art, sometimes it didn't reach to his knees, sometimes it was wrapped aroudn his ankle. A long tail is a sezzy tail. The longer it is, the more he can do with it....:naughty
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Sorte Springer »

My all time favorite Marvel artist is John Romita Jr.
I think his version of Nightcrawler is extremely cute.
Of course I like Alan Davis´ Kurt too. I am also very fond of John Byrnes interpretation of the blue elf.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

Long times are very sexy, but not when the tail is made ridiculously long, then it's just weird.

little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

I really like Davis, myself as well, but I don't think the six pack is too pronounced (happilly). ;)
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Alan Davis was probably my favorite oiverall... although issues 57 and 58 of Exclibur will always be my favorite comics of all time. I think.. Joe Maudeira (sp???) drew those.
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."