Can Kurt bamf in and out of water?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Sussi
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Sussi »

...Just a thought... What do you think?:?
I want a Blueberry-Muffin!!!:lick (Read Uncanny Xmen Nr 423...).

Wana see my art? Go to DeviantART. (You know you want to :toothy)
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Darkholme »

My theory is that he could teleport out of it, but he could only teleport into it if it was shallow.

The problem with teleporting into solid matter is that there's no way to force the matter to displace. Air can be displaced. Theoretrically, if he was to teleport into like the upper 20 ft of water (like a swimming pool, or a lake), it should be able to be displaced as well.

A deep sea teleportation probably wouldn't work, as the pressure would keep the water from being displaced. Plus the sudden change in pressure might cause his lungs to collapse anyway.

Hmph. Guess all those college science courses DID have a purpose...
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

If he were underwater in a shallow place he could possibly bamf out without too much danger, but it would dangerous to try.
You see, when you descend underwater, your lungs compress because the pressure is compacting the air in your lungs. So if Kurt were very deep underwater and he bamfed to the surface, his lungs could collapse because of the sudden release in pressure.

If he were to bamf from above water to underwater, supposing that somehow the water doesn't immediatly fill his body and somehow is displaced, the air in his lungs would take up too much room and his lungs could break, as if you filled a balloon with too much air.

So basically, it would be dangerous for him to try, and I would expect that because of his fear of bamfing into a wall or some solid object, he would not want to try to bamf into or out of water.

It pays to be a scuba diver. :D
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

He has teleported into water and out of water many times in the comics.

As for teleporting into deep water, both Darkholme and Gaz make good points above...

Although, I think the explosive bamf effect actually serves to help displace any matter that might get in the way.

But you really have to ask yourself why he'd want to teleport to the bottom of the ocean without a pressure suit or any protection (not to menion air in the first place... :smirk
thewildeman
Lubber
Lubber

Post by thewildeman »

I have to agree with many of the points made here. I think under certain circumstances he could do either, but the danger of teleporting into water of any depth of more than a couple feet could be dangerous for him. Yet, he has teleported in the rain before and managed to displace rain drops so water in shallows may not be too different eh? I do know of one thing other than solid matter that he definitley CANNOT bamf through..... anybody remember? Here is a hint..... Dr Doom.
DeeJay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DeeJay »

Doesn't Nightcrawler disperse all liquids and gasses when he teleports somewhere? I think if he teleports in water, all the water would get pushed away and kinda make an air pocket.

Not in dead sea water though, too much pressure like said before.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

Well, it really depends on when a substance becomes too dense or heavy for him to displace. For instance, if he can displace water, why not soup, or jello, or solid things. I really think that he can only disperse gasses because they are so much lighter than the rest of his body.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Nighton
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Nighton »

:) I'm gonna teleport into that lake!

:jean Are you sure you can do that?

:LOL Of course I can!

:cyke I don't think it's safe.

:) It's perfectly safe.

:bamf Here we go!

10 minutes later

:cyke I guess that's the end of Kurt.

I think he wouldn't make it. He might survive a teleport a few meters down, but not any more. Then he would "trilla av pinn", or as you would say, go meet Elvis.
The greatest X-team possible:
:) :wolvie :emma :gambit and :icey

Just so you know, some words in my posts are in Swedish.

"Yes." -Einstein, Aristoletes, Alan Cumming, David Prowse, Bruce Springsteen, Tori Amos and many more

I AM THE VIRUS SIGNITURE! PUT ME IN YOUR SIGNITURE BOX SO I MAY REPLICATE!
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Kurt can displace liquids when he teleports. He has bamfed in and out of water several times in both UXM and Excalibur. I don't know what would happen if he teleported into very deep water, but why would he want to?:?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
BlueAvenger9
Lubber
Lubber

Post by BlueAvenger9 »

I dont think he would ahve trouble gettin air before bamfing in and out of water because remember he travels to another dimension be fore showing up anywhere. But then again anythings possible, he could die?:dead
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Unless they changed this, he passes though the other dimension too quickly to even realize it, much less breathe. And I agree with Gable, Gaz, and Darkholme. The change of preesure could hurt, if not kill, him. So in and out of shallow water, sure. And even air pressure could, under the right condishions, do the same.
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.