high quality image files of nighty?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

Does anybody know where I can find some high quality images (aka not crappy jpegs) of Kurt suitable for printing out and not looking like ass on paper? I don't care if it's comic-kurt or movie-kurt as long as it looks cool. :)
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Your ass will be laminated.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

There's some here on NS. In the Image Gallery on your above Nav bar. Ask Bamfette if it would be ok to copy a few.
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

I already looked through the image gallery here, and they all seem to be jpegs. Jpegs are too low a resolution to be fit for decent printing. I'm looking for things like pdf files that have a high resolution.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

*Puts on Graphic Designer hat*

Actually the reason PDF's are better for printing isn't because they have a higher resolution, it's because they can contain vector art (graphics made from line coordinates, like text).

Any image of Nightcrawler taken from a comic, a screen capture, or a photo is likely to be a Jpegs or some other kind of pixel art. (Images made of little squares)

The best way to get the best quality from Jpegs is to find some some that are really big on your screen (jpgs on screen are usually displayed at 100%, and so the bigger it appears on your computer, the better it will look when you print it out.)

Usually the reason why Jpegs (and other kinds of pixel images) look bad when printed out is because people try to stretch the image to make it bigger and the computer has to fill in the missing information by making the pixels (tiny squares) look bigger too.
As a rule of thumb, pixel art should be twice as big onscreen as you want them printed out. So if you found an image that looks 6 inches tall on your monitor, you should print it out at 3 inches tall.
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

well then where are some of these really big jpegs? All the ones I've seen are pretty small, at most they're 1024x768 for wallpaper. :-
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

Wallpaper size is as large as a lot of web admins will go for loading pictures. When the pixel count starts getting to high, the image file size also increases. The largest pixel width/height count I host on my own site is out to 800. And for viewing a picture over the internet it is a very decent size.

For print quality as garble has said you need much larger images, but I don't know of any sites where you can find said huge files. I have not run into admins who wish to host 3 meg or larger files.

Why exactly are you trying to print out Nightcrawler images? To adorn your room?
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

Yes, my room, as well as the hall outside. Some of the girls on the other floors of this dorm have made hugeass collages of various images (most of them of flavor-of-the-week actors cut out of YM type magazines, how very bleh) and I thought I'd make a collage of something less predictable.