Finally got around to reading the Draco

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

I dunno, with what people around here were saying, I was expecting something god-awful.

I didn't think it was quite as absolutely terrible as everyone said even though it's nothing to write home about. I don't think they totally destroyed Nighty's character or did anything blasphemous in that regard. I think the fact that his father's a total evil jerk just makes our sweet Nighty all that more special. Frankly, he wasn't much of an actor in the plot anyhow.

My biggest complaint would be the rather hackneyed storytelling, but that's pretty much to be expected these days; nobody knows how to spin a good solid character-driven tale anymore, unfortunatly. Not just in comics either, same goes for television and movies, it's all whistles and bells and action shots. A shame, but what are you going to do about it? What sells sells.

C'est la vie, I guess.

At least the baby Kurt pictures were cute. :D
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Your ass will be laminated.
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

I hated the story. It was pretty low quality, and that part about having sex in a church was offensive in my view. The whole thing stunk.
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

The church thing didn't really bother me, but fiction rarely squicks me unless you get into really creepy stuff, pedophilia and whatnot.

The plot itself wasn't especially "stinky" but the way it was written and drawn out left much to be desired. I dunno if it's the fault of the editors or the writers or what, though I'm inclined to blame all of them. I'm not saying I think it's great, it certainly leaves much to be desired, but I didn't think it was complete utter crap either.

However, I very much didn't like the ones that came after it either, the juggernaught trial thing, or that awful "she lies with angels" garbage.

*shrugs*

I hope the upcoming "reload" will fix the rather lackluster nature of Uncanny X-Men lately. I remember really loving the comics when I was in middle and high school, I was reading some of the old X-Men ones this weekend from around 98ish and they were so cool. It's sad to see them get so scrummy like this. :(
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Kinda sad thing is the most people don't think 98ish was anything much special except in comparison to the current state.

The Draco was just... ugh. Coulda been cool, if they'd done it completely differently. And maybe gave KURT some actual screen time in his own goddamn origin story.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

Well 98ish is when I started reading comics, so I guess they just sorta have sentimental value for me. :p

But yea, I think the whole thing could've been done so much better. They had some good ideas, it's just that the execution of it was very sloppy. They seemed almost afraid of nailing down any particular themes or morals, they merely hinted rather than expounded. They had the chance to really say something along the lines of the fact that who you are isn't merely a result of ancestry or ability. Kind of like the end of Chamber of Secrets where Dumbledor tells Harry that it is his choices, not his abilities, that determines who he is, just because he can speak parseltongue doesn't mean he'll be the next Voldemort. Just because Kurt's father is pure evil doesn't mean he has to be. Just because you have so-and-so ancestry or parents or childhood or background doesn't mean you have to be buried by it.

Oh well. Maybe they'll do better next time...
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

OK, my biggest gripe with Draco, is that I kept getting the feeling that I was missing something. I haven't been reading the comic long (mostly getting back issues when I can afford it), but I got in with the Hope arc, and I felt lost in some parts. Like, who the heck is Kiwi? It seemed like everyone knew him. And Abyss, when did he come in? I dunno, it felt like the arc "revealed" a lot of info, without really explaining everything.
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Kiwi never showed up (to my knowledge) before Draco. Abyss had shown up before, as the bodyguard of this scientist lady I can't remember the name of, then he was tested on by X-force. He was also a major bad guy in the AOA, but is good in the 616 universe.

And he normally doesn't look blue&fuzzy... Someone around here has a Abyss site that has a lot of good info & pics...