Two toes or three?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Abyss
Lubber
Lubber

Two toes or three?

Post by Abyss »

My very first exposure to Nightcrawler was in Excalibur. I thought his powers and physical attributes were fascinating, and that even as a mutant, he was somehow of a different species.

Aside from my initial impressions, I noticed his hands, and feet. In Excalibur, his feet have three very distinct, articulate toes, complete with toenails. The reverse toe from his heel resembles a thumb. :)

Other artistic representations I've seen, show him with two toes and no toe at all from the back of his heel, and two toes and a vestigal-looking "toe" where his heel is.

Which is official, and which do you prefer?

I like the fully three-toed version of his feet.

For the artists out there, what do you think Nightcrawler's feet (and the rest of him) would look like, if he were X-Rayed/drawn as an anatomic skeleton?
John Doe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Two toes or three?

Post by John Doe »

I think the classic one is the two-toed, but has the vestigal toe you describe. Then again, I'm not an Excalibur expert. I prefer that version, in any case.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Two toes or three?

Post by Garble »

I love his feet. I think the "thumb-toe" on the back is great.

I don't know what Marvel considers official (as they change their minds very often), but different artists draw it in different ways.

I personally prefer the 2 toes and a heel-thumb look because it's functional for helping him climb, and it's more symetric to have the same number of digits on his hands and feet.
Dark Stalker
Lubber
Lubber

Two toes or three?

Post by Dark Stalker »

I suppose the 2 toes with the back toe is the official one but I prefer the 2 toes only
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Two toes or three?

Post by little Blue Lucy »

Originally posted by John Doe
I think the classic one is the two-toed, but has the vestigal toe you describe. Then again, I'm not an Excalibur expert. I prefer that version, in any case.
Actually, the three toed Nighty is the original, and in my opinion, best.
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
fuzzymutant26
Lubber
Lubber

Two toes or three?

Post by fuzzymutant26 »

hey...i did a topic on this... check it out...i'll do a poll soon...
"Idol hands spend time at the genitals." --'ol drippy--Aqua Teen Hunger Force

fuzzymutant26@yahoo.com

CREATORS ARE PEOPLE
TOO!!

:bamf Ich bin bamfengel!!! ;pant

"Our masks aren't any kind of gimmick, this is our way of...becoming the music that we play. So ugly, yet, beutiful."--Corey Taylor--Lead Vocals--SlipKnot

"Yeah."--Paul Gray--Bass--SlipKnot

"Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it, but, only you can feel the warmth"--Some dude I don't know...

:gir :zim :austen :*) :yuck :offtopic :engarde :dance
shakspear
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Two toes or three?

Post by shakspear »

I tend to be a classicist and go for the original version; although, Alan Davis did draw a delicious version for Excalibur!:lick:naughty
As much or more we should ourselves complain.

Assume a virtue, if you have it not.
Be great in act, as you have been in thought.

William Shakespeare

"Stealing from one person is called plagiarism; stealing from a bunch of people is called research." -Alfred E. Newman.
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Two toes or three?

Post by Lauren »

Alan Davis took away his back toe in UXM 445! awww, that toe was useful! *sniffles over lost toe*
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
fuzzymutant26
Lubber
Lubber

Post by fuzzymutant26 »

well, personally, I always draw the two-toed foot, with more of a "felxable, slight extention of the heel" than a useful apendage.

I don't particularly care for the back toe...

However usefull it may be...I hate it when they draw him crouching, and that back toe looks like a deflated balloon...lol

o well, that's my 2 cents,
"Idol hands spend time at the genitals." --'ol drippy--Aqua Teen Hunger Force

fuzzymutant26@yahoo.com

CREATORS ARE PEOPLE
TOO!!

:bamf Ich bin bamfengel!!! ;pant

"Our masks aren't any kind of gimmick, this is our way of...becoming the music that we play. So ugly, yet, beutiful."--Corey Taylor--Lead Vocals--SlipKnot

"Yeah."--Paul Gray--Bass--SlipKnot

"Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it, but, only you can feel the warmth"--Some dude I don't know...

:gir :zim :austen :*) :yuck :offtopic :engarde :dance
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Two toes or three?

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I usually draw him with the extended, slightly flexible appendage on his heel, however, I do draw the third toe on Lightning Squad Nightcrawler with the claws,cause although he is evil, claws are hot!

I'd have to say three toes is better than two.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Two toes or three?

Post by Mistress D »

Originally posted by fuzzymutant26
well, personally, I always draw the two-toed foot, with more of a "felxable, slight extention of the heel" than a useful apendage.

I don't particularly care for the back toe...

However usefull it may be...I hate it when they draw him crouching, and that back toe looks like a deflated balloon...lol

o well, that's my 2 cents,
Yeah, I agree. And I usually draw him with two toes and an "extended heel" kinda thing. Actually, I need to work on how I draw his feet anyway...
"I am Phil, Prince of Insufficient light! I darn you to Heck!!" :devil

"Quick, get the video camera! The Professor's sloshed and he's doing wheelies in the rose garden!"

"It's just a flesh wound!"

I AM THE VIRUS SIGNITURE. PUT ME INTO YOUR SIGNITURE BOX SO I MAY REPLICATE!
SmoothBamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Two toes or three?

Post by SmoothBamf »

I prefer the three toes instead of the two when ever I draw him I give him the third toe and it looks awesome if I do say so my self
Captain Bamfsalot
Lubber
Lubber

Two toes or three?

Post by Captain Bamfsalot »

Hmm....I'd say that in the original it looked more like two toes because he stood up straighter. I think this makes a difference... When he stands like that it just looks like the back part of his foot is freakishly long...I never really though about it like a toe... In the Evo version, he is more hunched over he WALKS on his toes and I think that his "third toe" is just, as many of you have said, an extension of the heel...of course I could be wrong...It all depends on your point of view. I like the extended heel idea better because he looks a lot more acrobatic and cat-like...and he's much more fun to draw. I guess he always DOES have that heel or so called "third toe" just sometimes it's on the ground with the rest of his foot and sometimes he stands on his toes and it's in the air....I'll shut up now because I think I'm trying to make my theory make sense to me and it's not really working...oh well, maybe you guys will get me better than I do...I'll just say two toes and move on.
What REALLY happened after Riku slammed the door:
Take care of her! ~slam~ Suckers...Hey Mick, they fell for it!

What is going to happen at the end of InuYasha:
Kagome: InuYasha, I love you!
InuYasha: ~snicker~ Yeah...whatever...can I see the Shikon no Tama...just want to polish it...
Kagome: Why not! ~give~
InuYasha: WHEEEE! I'M A SEXY DEMON AND NO ONE CAN STOP ME!

Why I love Nightcrawler: ~shows various sexy pictures of Nightie~ 'Nuf Said.
Nachtcrawler
Lubber
Lubber

Two toes or three?

Post by Nachtcrawler »

Maybe he can "morph" the third toe into his heel? :D
That's why sometimes he has two toes and sometimes three! :LOL
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Two toes or three?

Post by Garble »

We shouldn't make too big an issue out of this, or someone at Marvel will demand that Kurt reveal his back toe is retractable...

;)
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Two toes or three?

Post by Panz »

Originally posted by Garble
We shouldn't make too big an issue out of this, or someone at Marvel will demand that Kurt reveal his back toe is retractable...

;)
:LOL:LOL:LOL That is too funny. When the retractable tail thing came out I kept thinking of my little vacuume cleaner with a retractable cord and wondered if Nocturne had to give her tail a slight pull before it retracted :P

Okie-dokey, on topic , while I always thought that the two-toe with a long narrow heel was more attractive and some how more alien/less mammilian (sp?) I think that as a mutation the three toed version is a lot more likely and yes, more useful.

For me, it really depends on who is penciling and inking him, as to which foot style I like better.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama