How YOU say "Nightcrawler"

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

In the recent months I have chatted with a lot of folks from around the world about Nighty.

A friend of mine in Finland just taught me to say "Painajainen", thats Nightcrawler in Finish. Others have mentioned that other X-Men have different names, not like their English/US names. Tatu, back me up on this one....:D

Anyway, Since this is truly an international forum ( and for fun of google searches and to find more Nighty pictures in other languages) my question is, other than english, how do you say (or type) Nightcrawler in your native lanuage?

NWKurt
Let us try to live our lost illusions....They're the sun at night.....If we don't, we'll never taste.....The spice of life!
~Enigma~ Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi! The Prism Of Life
Neko Cat 7
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Neko Cat 7 »

I usually say "Nighty" or "Nightcrawla"
"No matter what I do;no matter how hard I try...the ones I love will always be the ones who pay..."- Peter Parker

Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words:'With great power comes great responsibilities.' This is my gift, my curse...who am I ?...I'm Spider-Man."-Peter Parker

Being brilliant isn't enough. Intelligence is a gift, and you use it for the good of mankind.

Or blowing up New York. You know. Whatever suits your fancy. -My Doc Ock perspective

Which do I like more? Leroux, Kay, or Webber?
Leroux gave the Phantom life.
Kay gave the Phantom a soul.
Webber gave the Phantom a voice.
Consider that, and you'll see why I can't choose.

Phantom phan
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

Well, actually I was looking for any of the forgin names given to Nightcrawler.... Like said " Painajainen " in Finnish = Nightcrawler in English

Any others?
Let us try to live our lost illusions....They're the sun at night.....If we don't, we'll never taste.....The spice of life!
DeeJay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DeeJay »

According to SmaterChild, the translation of Nightcrawler into german is "Nachtgleiskette"
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I usually call him Kurt or Nighty
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
I usually call him Kurt or Nighty
as do we all, i think NW was asking about the translations around the world..

Kurtlover could tell you his name in the spanish translation, she told me once.. but i forgot and dont appear to have it in my logs.. I know Bunny has X2 in japanese.. he might could tell you that translation..
Call me King!
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

Thank you DeeJay and Tatu! I forgot about the German translation :D Thanks!!

BTW, cool new avatar Tatu!

NWKurt
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

I'm not one hundred percent sure of this (I haven't seen his name ever used) but most character names in Japanese don't get translated, they just get horribly mauled so they can be put into the language, so Nightcawler would become 'nai-to-ku-raa-ra'.

Also the Portugese and French translations on the DVDs just call him "Diablo", which means devil. Not too sure I like that.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

YAYYY!! New names for Google searches!

For the German "Nachtkriecher", that sounds and looks a bit closer to what I was thinking of for a direct translation. Yeah, all Nighty gets is Diablo? Awwww, poor guy! Not even azul diablo or démon bleu? SHAME!

Oh and for the Japaneese translation, interesting....have to try that out!

Good stuff, keep it up!

NWKurt

Oh BTW..."Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!" :LOL good eppy!! *goes to get DVD out and watches*:D
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bamf Bunny »

Originally posted by NWKurt
A friend of mine in Finland just taught me to say "Painajainen", thats Nightcrawler in Finish
Sort of, kind of. It's what the Nightcrawler character is called in Finnish, but the word by itself just means nightmare.

Originally posted by Tatu
I know Bunny has X2 in japanese.. he might could tell you that translation..
"Naitokurouaraa." (It's in katakana, which is going to get filtered out unless I set my language to Japanese, and wouldn't display correctly for most people anyway..)
Originally posted by DoomInABox
Also the Portugese and French translations on the DVDs just call him "Diablo"
On the French language tracks he's "Le Diablo Incroyable" - "The Incredible Nightcrawler" - but I think in the comics he's always just Diablo. No idea why, since it's neither a German nor a French word.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
Ghost
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ghost »

in germany we don't translate his codename but nachtkriecher would be the korreckt translation. in spain he's called rondador nocturno. and by surfing the web i found out in italy they call him diabolo (devil). well i hope that helped a little bit lol c ya
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

translated literally in my language it would be Nachtkruiper. But, in the Dutch translation he is actually called Harlekein ("Harlequin") Which I like a lot, it fits the character a lot better than being named after a worm.
just my $0.02...
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Swiss_bamf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Swiss_bamf »

I think on German it's "Nachtkrabbler" not "Nachtkriecher".But with "Nachtkrabbler" you won't find any Nightcrawler Sites on German.
You find it better under the English Name.
I'm out :bamf
Fav Comics: All with an X on it.
Fav Characters: Nightcrawler,Colossus,Kitty Pryde
Fav Quote: Nocturne: Dad!!!
Nightcrawler: Vas?Verdammter Mist,I know I
schould have been more care
full.
:LOL
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

Well... if memory serves me right... Gabi hayop is the direct translation in tagalog.
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Bamf Bunny, there is no French name for "Nightcrawler". It would translate as "rampeur de nuit" which is a mouthful. There IS a tradition of using exotic stagenames, usually from the Italian, hence "Diablo" which means "devil" but takes the edge off just calling him "diable". As a footnote the old French translation also had trouble with "Wolverine" which only translate as "glouton", meaning "glottoon" so they just called him "Serval" (small wildcat).
That's for European French. I think that in Quebec they just keep the English names.
"You've got it allright. Now keep it to yourself"

http://shadowscrawl.tripod.com/
Home of Lil' Kurt
Nightcrawless
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Nightcrawless »

:LOL Cute!
Personally, I call him Nighty, Kurt, Nightcrawler, NC, Blue-boy or The 'Crawler.

On this Chinese name generator it says his name would be
"Wang Kang rui" with the data of the name Kurt Wagner, male, born November 11, 1975 and with an essence of personal character and skill.

:D and that's only in pinyin! I can't seem to find the Chinese word for 'Nightcrawler' though....I have yet to find an online dictionary that suits my fancy.
Nighton
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Nighton »

In Swedish he was called "Nattkryparen" in the old days. But nowadays names aren't translated any more. Which is good.
Spindelmannen, Spindelmannen, kors-och-tvärs-och-vindelmannen!
The greatest X-team possible:
:) :wolvie :emma :gambit and :icey

Just so you know, some words in my posts are in Swedish.

"Yes." -Einstein, Aristoletes, Alan Cumming, David Prowse, Bruce Springsteen, Tori Amos and many more

I AM THE VIRUS SIGNITURE! PUT ME IN YOUR SIGNITURE BOX SO I MAY REPLICATE!
Nightwind
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Nightwind »

NWKurt,

above, you asked for a Japanese translation for "Nightcrawler"...
and thanks to my sister's English - Japanese dictionary, it is apparently
called:
yugata yotsunbai ni bau

It's very long... and I'm not sure if it's right, because there are many definitions of both "night" and "crawler"... (the dictionary didn't have the word "Nightcrawler", so I had to look up both halves of the word)... :oops:
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Cibo »

I have sth to add to the German translation. It took me quite long, but the animal nightcrawler (common earthworm) is a Tauwurm ("dew- worm") in German. (The normal word for earthworm is Regenwurm ("rain- worm"). Actually, it was slightly disappointed when I found out. What a dump idea to name a character after a slimy, wringing, little worm... brrrrrr

@Nighton
Same here, which led to such wierd names like "Die grüne Laterne", "Die Gruppe X" or "Wunder Girl". As far as I know there are only very, very few superheroes left that kept their German names to this day (eg. The Avengers= Die Rächer).

@Nightwind
I'm probably the worst Japanology sutdent that ever dared to set foot in an University, but this I learned:do not attempt to translate something literally into Japanese. Too many words that sound the same but mean something completely different (um.. what's the term? *_*;). That's why the can't get rid off their insane Kanji system. yoru- night (I'm sure about this one), hau- to crawl, maybe you could come up with something like "the man who crawls in the night" yoru no hito-- uh, äh... *runs of wheeping and hides behind her manga collection*
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
Art_Mage
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Art_Mage »

Hmmm.....Nightcrawler in Malaysian...let's just say it gets really awkward saying it.
Night= Malam, Crawler= Rangkak/ Perangkak...therefore the correct Malaysian term for him would be..Rangkakmalam...weird. Which is why I refer to him in Malay as Lembayang. In short, Lembaga (Form) and Bayang (Shadow) which equates to 'Shadow-form' (Lembayang). It's an odd choice of name, but a lot less brutal and easier on the ears compared to the earlier version. :D
I know Night in Arabic would be 'Laila'...but no sense to what Crawler would mean.
Tonks Kittygoth
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Tonks Kittygoth »

Ok, I know its wrong of me, but Nachtkriecher makes me think of Kreacher from Harry Potter.

I used to check my german homework on Babel fish... while it isnt always right, it pointed out that I am just plain horrible at learning languages.
Whatever doesnt kill you, makes you stronger. - Marcus Aurelius
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Alkuperäinen postittaja NWKurt
Well, actually I was looking for any of the forgin names given to Nightcrawler.... Like said " Painajainen " in Finnish = Nightcrawler in English

Any others?
you said it.

Well i still like to call him Kurt or Nightcrawler,
Painajainen... sounds moronic, maybe cause its a straight translation from Nightmare so if you see Nightmares you see Painajaisia. So nightcrawler.