BAMF! -- Teleportation Discussion

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

allright, i had to put a lot of thought into this as i was doing the FAQ. so here goes.

though there will be a time or two in comics history that may contradict this, it's the nature of the beast, no one theory will have all the issues ever printed agree on the exact details. but the *most consistent* (imo) explanation of how his powers of teleportation work goes something like this.

We have seen that he goes through another dimension when he teleports. that would necessitate opening a dimensional portal, going through it, into this other dimension, creating ANOTHER portal and exiting through that. all this happens so fast that it's not visible to the human eye, though some atmosphere from the other dimension does escape. since it happens so fast, he does not physically move himself through the portal, like Blink does. so he must will the portal into existence, and move the portal over him. in order to avoid teleporting away portions of the ground and whatnot, he must by default open it very very closely to his body, and the outer dimensions of his clothes.

so, that is why things over a certain size but NOT density are a problem. he obviously has a limit as to how far the portal will stretch to accomidate anything besides himself. density of the material does not matter, so long as it is small enough to fit in the portal. and that's how he can teleport away parts of things. he just opens the portal wide enough to take part of the item away, but not wide enough for ALL of it. and probably why he has some difficulty doing so is that it does happen so incredibly fast, it must be largely instinctual, so he has to override instinct.

make any sense?
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

Thanks for the ish number :)
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

That's a very good explanation, makes me rethink his powers:bamf
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Bamfette
so, that is why things over a certain size but NOT density are a problem. he obviously has a limit as to how far the portal will stretch to accomidate anything besides himself. density of the material does not matter, so long as it is small enough to fit in the portal. and that's how he can teleport away parts of things. he just opens the portal wide enough to take part of the item away, but not wide enough for ALL of it. and probably why he has some difficulty doing so is that it does happen so incredibly fast, it must be largely instinctual, so he has to override instinct.

make any sense?

WoW.
'Nuff (and extremely well) said!

B A M F !