X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

The Story:
Two exciting stories, starring NIGHTCRAWLER and KITTY PRYDE! In the first, Arvid Nelson and Lewis Larosa weave a tale of Nightcrawler’s unique encounter…with a girl who has no idea he’s a mutant. In "The Boy Who Wasn’t There" by Mike Raicht and Carlo Pagulayan, Kitty Pryde tries to help a boy very much like herself… but he might be beyond her help.
In Stores: 02-02-2005

Purdy cover

Just thought it would be nice to know that it was out there.:)
one name: Bruce Campbell
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by HoodedMan »

That cover really is quite nice. Rather mysterious and beckoning at the same time; I like it. The plot sounds good too. :D
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by kurtlover »

Wow, i like this cover very much, i am not thrilled by the idea of the hat, but the coloring, the background, the eyes!!
I am deffinitively looking forward for this issue, thanks for sharing this info with us :)
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by kladyelf »

Dude! its Nighty as an early 1900's Dockworker! :D Seriously thats what i thought when i saw the piccy, i think i am going to save up for this 'un *rubs hands and cackles madly*
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Shadowscrawl »

I just bought and read that issue. What a waste of money that was. It's nothing but cliches. Once you take those out there is nothing left. The art was nice but that can't save the complete lack of story. At least it was kid-friendly. I can let my boys read it.
Oh, allright, one good thing :I love the cover and it's excellent colour treatment.
"You've got it allright. Now keep it to yourself"

http://shadowscrawl.tripod.com/
Home of Lil' Kurt
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Diablo »

Yep, the cover is great...
but it seems NOBODY is able to write an interesting Kurt solo story these days :( ... except for Roberto Aguirre -Saccasa.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Josh Whedon.
I demand Josh Whedon.
I love the way he write and he hasn't used Nightcrawler yet. C'mon Josh, you are worthy.

Home of Lil' Kurt
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Diablo »

I think Whedon asked for Kurt but didn't get him. :(
According to Bamfette (correct me if I'm wrong !), during the "Reloaded" start, everyone (Claremont, Davis, Austen, Whedon,...) was fighting for the elf.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Wha-a-at?:o
Okay, what's their excuse now?
To go back on topic, another reason I found 'Unlimited' #7 so irritating is because the cover had nothing to do with the content. It's always a guessing game whether the cover reflects the inside story.
Are you looking at a gorgeous evocative cover to attract you to a story of the same quality, or to fool you into paying for substandard work?
You lay down your money, you take your chances!

Home of Lil' Kurt
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Maelstrom »

That's why I take a quick flip through new comics before I pay for them now. I was annoyed enough way back in the day with New Mutants, when they had this "everybody is happy" cover right after Doug Ramsey got killed; the cover had NOTHING to do with the overly angsty story within (where they said "It's all [my, your] fault" no less than ten times :yuck). Now it seems every cover is that way. Just pretty pin-up art, with nothing to do with the inside at all. Probably because it's cheaper to have a bunch of the damn things in the background to paste as you wish, instead of having to key them to specific episodes.

And, everyone? Thanks for putting up this thread, so I know not to waste my time or money with this thing :). Too bad: it looked so promising......
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by bluefooted »

I, too, have been a victim of the 'Misleading Cover' :surprise

Remember a certain cover that happened to feature a naked elf and an angry looking Wolverine drinking a beer??? Man, I had high hopes for that one. What a disappointment :mad

But, since I'm a mindless comic sheep, I went ahead and bought #7 anyway. I just can't listen to good advice ;)
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Diablo
I think Whedon asked for Kurt but didn't get him. :(
According to Bamfette (correct me if I'm wrong !), during the "Reloaded" start, everyone (Claremont, Davis, Austen, Whedon,...) was fighting for the elf.
No, if Whedon had wanted him he would have gotten him.

And yes, the story is terrible. But I could have told you that just by looking at the cover. Note the logo: X-MEN UNLIMITED. Dead giveaway.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I haven't read it yet, and unless it falls into my lap, chances are I won't. My money has other places to go right now.

At least this thread inssures that I wont waste $3.99

This should be "The Deceptive Cover Thread".
one name: Bruce Campbell
nghtcrwlr
Lubber
Lubber

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by nghtcrwlr »

Ok, I was planning on buying this issue (especially because I don't know much of what it is about so I am intrigued) but now I'm not so sure. What exactly was bad about it? The plot? The characterization? The art? How would you describe the art? ... In other words, is there anything salvageable? I am a student ... on a very, very tight budget ... so the detailed input would be much appreciated :)
Keep your distance, my love... I bite.
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Okay, it’s only worth your while if you have never read “blind girl sees your true self” or the “how tragic that this boy must die” chestnuts in your life before. No insights, revelations, interesting twists. The earth-shattering conclusion of both non-stories is that Kurt and Kitty are really good people. That’s it.
The better drawn of the two was the Kitty story especially if you are into hyper slick finish.
The drawing on the Kurt one is not bad but there’s something flat and uneven about the way it was finished. A case of using too much live reference I think. You can see where the artist left holes for the inker to finish but he didn’t and left it to the colourist who did his best, poor lamb, but it was already too late.

Home of Lil' Kurt
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Entropy »

anybody else notice something missing in this issue?

i'll give you a hint, it's relates to Kurt and is a part of who he is.

psss...his tail is missing (or stuck down his pants, which i would bet is very uncomfortable).
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by HoodedMan »

Heh. Seems to me that plot malfunctions and clichés can be ignored... but how would someone not notice that Kurt has no tail? I might have to pick this up at a store to check. I haven't looked at it yet (and it seems like that's good, judging by the reviews ;))
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Saint Kurt »

psss...his tail is missing
Maybe part of his "homeboy" disguise that he chose to wear to the Lower East Side of Manhattan (which was disguised as New Orleans) that night involved jamming his tail down his baggy jeans when he donned his high tops and hoodie?

Still, it was an improvement over the always popular "pimp" disguise from his Excalibur days.

-e
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Entropy »

That would be the only explanation for the lack of tail that i could think of.

i always wondered what the heck Davis was smoking when he made Kurt look like a pimp, i mean Davis likes Kurt and normally dresses him quiet well.
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Ryuu-chan
Lubber
Lubber

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Ryuu-chan »

Pimp disguise? I've read most of Excalibur, yet I have no clue what you're talking about. Any chance there's a picture floating around somewhere you could point me to?
Older, smarter, and more sane than before.

Hopefully, anyway.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Maelstrom »

The infamous "pimp Wagner" shot was from the end of issue 2 of the original Excalibur, right after the Warwolves had been taken care of. Everyone from Excalibur was mixed in with a crowd watching the Warwolves in their new environment: the London Zoo. :LOL Kurt had on these HUGE sunglasses that covered a good 60% of his face, and a furred lavendar jacket, and one of those broad-rimmed hats. Damned if he didn't look like a pimp! Bunny did an avatar of him once.
Originally posted by Entropy
i always wondered what the heck Davis was smoking when he made Kurt look like a pimp, i mean Davis likes Kurt and normally dresses him quiet well.
Maybe Kurt lost a Superbowl bet with Kitty? :whistle
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Saint Kurt »

You mean this look?

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
Maybe Kurt lost a Superbowl bet with Kitty? :whistle
:smirk
Originally posted by zamweasel
[image removed]
THAT'S HILARIOUS! :LOL
When did you do that, zam? ;)

And getting on-topic again:
Originally posted by zamweasel
Maybe part of his "homeboy" disguise that he chose to wear to the Lower East Side of Manhattan (which was disguised as New Orleans) that night involved jamming his tail down his baggy jeans when he donned his high tops and hoodie?
I suppose that could very well be. It still looks quite odd, but I suppose there could be any number of explanations. :p
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Saint Kurt »

THAT'S HILARIOUS!
When did you do that, zam?
At the risk of sounding like a broken record... :)

I worked at a museum this summer where I played Nightcrawler every Saturday. Since my makeup took so long, I had to get ready well before everyone else. I was also the driver of the carpool. It was very sunny during the summer and yellow contacts do nothing to block out the glare. So I would wear sunglasses.

That is a picture of me in the green room probably about a minute or two after walking in. (Actually, the sunglasses/Excalibur connection became a big thing with the group and accessorizing me became sort of an 'in' joke. I will search for pictures.)

-e
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X-MEN UNLIMITED #7

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I know this is way off topic, but here it is if anyone has never seen it:

"Pimp" Kurt

What WERE Claremont and Davis thinking. :shocked

Kurt's usually the dapper swashbuckler when out of uniform. Might have been an inside joke. You never know about those things LOL.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image