Ooch! Poor Kurt!

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by bluefooted »

MileHighComics has the whole issue of Ultimate X-Men #55 up if ya wanna have a looksy. It features Kurt prominently and he gets a little bit... hurt. Poor guy :( Here's the issue:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstlook ... ultxmen55/

Anyway, I know some of you are going to disagree with me, but I like how this artist has drawn Kurt. I really can't stand 'overly muscled' Kurt, and that's how Ultimate Kurt was being drawn for a while there. His arms are a little bit stick-like in the last few panels, but it's still a nice change from tiny-headed, giant-armed superheros.

Also, really like how Kurt's inexperience gets him in trouble. It's nice to be reminded that he's still new to all this, after all.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by HoodedMan »

Actually, I like Kurt in this one as well. I didn't read enough into it to constitute a spoiler, but I like his figure and I like the character traits you mentioned.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by Nandireya »

Yes...it makes more sense for Kurt to be more slender...he's an acrobat not a weight-lifter.

And even though he is somewhat inexperienced, he still held his own as well as anyone else...he DOES have Weapon X training after all...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by DoomInABox »

[spoiler]YAY ULTIMATE SPIRAL!!!! Spiral is one of my all-time favourite non-major characters ... she's just so darn spiffin' ...

Oh no! Kurt got stabbed! ARCADE YOU !!!!
That aside, I like the Murderworld feel to the whole thing ... this is starting to gear as one of my fav story arcs.[/spoiler]

I agree with you, Blue and Nandy, I prefer slender, lithe Kurt, the like of which has been drawn in Ultimate lately. I went through this exercise phase a while ago where I studied a bunch of different regimes for muscle toning versus building, and that included regimes for gymnasts/acrobats. Huge, bulky muscles can get in the way of momentum ... they also restrict movements that are crucial and put a massive reduction on flexibility. Plus they add a buttload of extra weight that's totally not needed.

So there you have it: indisputable evidence that Kurt, as an acrobat, should be lithe and slender instead of overly muscled. That, and it just looks much better on him.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
DeeJay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by DeeJay »

He should get bigger as the series goes on, considering he is 14-15 at the moment.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Any clue why Mojo looks like that, I like the yellow, spineless Mojo... Also I like how Arcade looks here, he looks dweeby in the regular universe, here he actually looks like a killer
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by Bamf Bunny
I couldn't get past the text description of the issue. Ultimate Krakoa? Ultimate Longshot? Ultimate Arcade? Wasn't the whole Ultimate line all about, y'know, stripping away all the stupid ideas that had barnacled onto the X-Men over the last forty years?
In part. Marvel started the Ultimate line to re-invent all their old beloved characters and give them new orgins, etc. Don't be surprised Bunny that the writers are using old and familiar names in the Ultimate line. Fans like to see the alternate versions of their favorite characters. Damn it! Beast is still dead! :cry

One of my other favorite characters is being introduced soon. [spoiler]Mystique. I'm hoping they do her right. Make her a bitch pleaze!![/spoiler] :D
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by HoodedMan »

I agree; I certainly do hope they do her character right. She'd be a lovely addition.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by DoomInABox »

I couldn't get past the text description of the issue. Ultimate Krakoa? Ultimate Longshot? Ultimate Arcade? Wasn't the whole Ultimate line all about, y'know, stripping away all the stupid ideas that had barnacled onto the X-Men over the last forty years?
Hmm ... maybe not so much 'stripping them away' as 'de-stupidizing' them. You'll notice, for instance, that Arcade is not a crazy guy with a huge polka-dot bow-tie anymore ... he's now a gamer-gone-Rambo with a real reason for hating mutants. That's kinda what I took to be the reason for Ultimate ... taking all the stupid stuff and trying to make it good, or at least interesting.

And I believe 'Krakoa' is just a pulled name ... I don't think we'll see it developping its own self-awareness or anything this go around. Least, I hope not. :P
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by kurtlover »

I've never understood quite right what's the entire purpose of the Ultimate titles, specially X-Men, i think some stories are good, but why reinventing the whole thing again?
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

I always thought it was just an attempt to freshen-up some out dated concepts and characters by putting them in a modern context.
It was a shrewd business strategy by Marvel; I gather they re-invent their titles quite regularly. Keeping the kids who were hooked by the films interested by giving them something they could claim as of 'their own' (As opposed to the original Xmen which already had too much history for some new fans - I guess it became too much like homework every time someone mentioned the age of apocalypse or something like that.). One word: accessible.
I am a fan of the ultimate series, always have been, so for clarity I will add that I am not dissing it.

Oh and I agree about Kurt needing to be supple and therefore thin; he would need some muscle in order to be a good acrobat, I think they have the balance just about right.
I'm the best there is at what I do...
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

*ANYTHING STATED IN THE ABOVE POST IS MERELY THE OPINION OF MYSELF: UNLESS SUPPORTED BY FACTS/SOURCES ETC*
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Aw, I kinda liked the old bow-tie wearing Arcade. Although I appreciate that "ultimate' generally means "meaner" ...maybe a bow-wearing Rambo?:LOL
"You've got it allright. Now keep it to yourself"

http://shadowscrawl.tripod.com/
Home of Lil' Kurt
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Ooch! Poor Kurt!

Post by Shadowscrawl »

I made the above bad joke last week for no reason, but it got me thinking…
This version of Mojo is close to what Arcade used to be. Couldn’t have two Arcades, so change one to Rambo. Let’s hope that the character is developed past that later on.
Interesting coincidence, the old Arcade gave Nightcrawler a hard time way back in the late eighties (sorry my old comics are buried in the basement and I can’t get a search party together in time to give you the exact reference) and now he is doing so again.
I haven’t followed the “ultimate” X-men much but, is it me, or the few times we get to see Nightcrawler he gets tortured?
Ah,the S&M joy of comics!
"You've got it allright. Now keep it to yourself"

http://shadowscrawl.tripod.com/
Home of Lil' Kurt