Dave, how strong is Kurt?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
jafabian
Lubber
Lubber

Post by jafabian »

At least when you first started? When you first drew him in X-Men, he could leap around comparable to Beast or Spider-Man. And when he appeared in Spider-Man's book, he commented he could have torn a metal door off it's hinges if he had the time to do it. But now Marvel says he's about as strong as an "Olympic level athlete of the same height and build." And he never leaps around like he used to. Hasn't for a long time. But then again, Marvel can't make up its mind if he turns invisible or not in shadows. First he can, then can't, then can, then can't, and so on.

What was your original intent as far as strength level for Kurt? I get the impression you had him at maybe at least 3 times as strong as a normal human.
Beware the Sleestak
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

you may have better luck asking this in Dave's forum, i am not sure how often he checks the Nightcrawler section of the board.
DeeJay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DeeJay »

I never thought Kurt had superhuman strength. He is basically a very strong man. Apprently he is stronger than a man of his height/weight because of the extra muscles in his body that make up his unique physical structure.

I'd like to know his real weight though, I've seen 195lbs to 175lbs. An xmen game on the snes stated he was 140lbs which is puny.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by DeeJay
I'd like to know his real weight though, I've seen 195lbs to 175lbs. An xmen game on the snes stated he was 140lbs which is puny.
That is a bit small, but really nimble acrobats are pretty much very slender and what they have is mostly muscle mass, at least as much as I've seen. It's very good exercise, apparently; that's why they're as slender as they are. A friend of mine is an acrobat and she doesn't weigh anything. :D
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
DeeJay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DeeJay »

I hope Kurt is 190lbs.
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

Lessee ... he's about six feet tall and not in any way overweight ... He's not overly built but does have a substancial amount of muscles (count the fact that muscle weighs more than fat does), plus there's the little habit comics have of inflating everything ... Yeah, I'd say 175lbs sounds about right.

195lbs seems a bit TOO much ... since 140-150lbs is standard if you're about 5'6'' with an average amount of fat/muscle (ie: you're not lazy, but you don't pump weights and run tracks). I'm talking males here ... with girls it's a little different because we have more natural fat and less natural muscle (and less ability to build muscle if we DO work out). So nobody freak out or anything ... these are just generalizations.

As for his strength (being the purpose of this thread :)) I'd say that there's no way a normal person, even if they had his height and that fetching comic-book build, could match some of his feats of strength. Jumping and lifting aside, take the wall-crawling: no way could anyone with less than super-human strength hold themselves at a vertical angle gripping with just the tips of their fingers and toes. It'd be like trying to do chin-ups holding on with just your thumb and index finger, for crying out loud. Not only would you have to have specialized muscles to deal with the strain, you'd have to have enhanced strength in ALL your muscles just to pull it off.
**by the by, that's going with the original theory that he clings to walls with "inexplicable suction-things", not the "personal gravity manipulation" theory that's been floating around for a while.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
jafabian
Lubber
Lubber

Post by jafabian »

Originally posted by Bamfette
you may have better luck asking this in Dave's forum, i am not sure how often he checks the Nightcrawler section of the board.
Oops. My bad. You're right.

However, my question is, not what Kurt's strength is currently, but what Dave's original intentions were for the character. The first few issues of X-Men he seems stronger than Wolverine. Maybe. Definitely stronger than Cyclops, IMO.
Beware the Sleestak
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Why don't you go and check the FAQs forum? his bio is there, perhaps you can search to see if you can find an answer, i guess this had been answered before.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I hope Kurt is 190lbs.
Out of curiousity, why does it matter how much a comic book character weighs?

-e
thayr
Lubber
Lubber

Post by thayr »

...and does he weigh the same amount when he displaces himself to another dimension? :bamf
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by thayr
...and does he weigh the same amount when he displaces himself to another dimension? :bamf
Mmm... why wouldn't he? :p

He'd definitely mass the same; weight is a relative term especially if he's in another dimension/planet/universe. But I think you meant mass.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
jafabian
Lubber
Lubber

Post by jafabian »

Kurt has to lose some weight each time he teleports, IMO. Basically, since he's displacing himself when he moves thru dimensions, shouldn't he also displace some of his own mass? I'd think that telportation must use quite a bit of energy and it's gotta get fuel from somewhere. Mr. Fantastic came up with a similar theory for the Human Torch in Ultimate Fantastic Four.
Beware the Sleestak
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by jafabian
Kurt has to lose some weight each time he teleports, IMO. Basically, since he's displacing himself when he moves thru dimensions, shouldn't he also displace some of his own mass? I'd think that telportation must use quite a bit of energy and it's gotta get fuel from somewhere. Mr. Fantastic came up with a similar theory for the Human Torch in Ultimate Fantastic Four.
That's possible, but I think with the energy that would be required to go to another dimension, even with the extraordinarily small amount of mass needed for a lot of energy (E=mc^2), the loss of mass would be enough to be noticable. Perhaps, like most other things in the Marvel universe, 'porting just doesn't obey the laws of physics, specifically the conservation of energy. I'd be interested in more scientific explanations, but perhaps that should split off into another thread.
DeeJay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DeeJay »

Originally posted by zamweasel
I hope Kurt is 190lbs.
Out of curiousity, why does it matter how much a comic book character weighs?

-e
I think a weight of 190lbs is more realistic as Kurt puts up quite a fight from time to time.
Nightcrawless
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Nightcrawless »

Kurt has to lose some weight each time he teleports, IMO. Basically, since he's displacing himself when he moves thru dimensions, shouldn't he also displace some of his own mass?
Well, if he did lose mass every single time he ported, he would wear away into nothing eventually, wouldn't he?

Originally posted by thayr
...and does he weigh the same amount when he displaces himself to another dimension?
Well, it would depend how strong the force of gravity is in that dimension. Isn't weight the amount of gravity pulling on the mass of an object or something? You weigh less on the moon because there is less gravity, but you still have the same mass.

Just MHO....
Jenni
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jenni »

At least when you first started? When you first drew him in X-Men, he could leap around comparable to Beast or Spider-Man. And when he appeared in Spider-Man's book, he commented he could have torn a metal door off it's hinges if he had the time to do it. But now Marvel says he's about as strong as an "Olympic level athlete of the same height and build." And he never leaps around like he used to. Hasn't for a long time. But then again, Marvel can't make up its mind if he turns invisible or not in shadows. First he can, then can't, then can, then can't, and so on.
Well He is getting slightly older in the comics I guess isn't he? I mean how old was Kitty when she first appeared?
What was your original intent as far as strength level for Kurt? I get the impression you had him at maybe at least 3 times as strong as a normal human.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Nightcrawless
Well, if he did lose mass every single time he ported, he would wear away into nothing eventually, wouldn't he?
Probably not quickly, but I would think he would eventually. How many years has he been doing this? :p
Well, it would depend how strong the force of gravity is in that dimension. Isn't weight the amount of gravity pulling on the mass of an object or something? You weigh less on the moon because there is less gravity, but you still have the same mass.
Absolutely right. W [N] = m [kg] * g [m/s^2] or:
The weight is the product of the mass and the acceleration of gravity.

The acceleration of gravity is not a constant; it depends on your location. On most places on Earth, the average is 9.81 m/s^2.

Who knows what it is in the other dimension? :D
jafabian
Lubber
Lubber

Post by jafabian »

I'm thinking Kurt is like Quicksilver and the Flash: constantly eating to replenish himself. The more he 'ports the more fuel he burns. He only puts on weight if he doesn't 'port for an extended period of time.

For that matter, I wonder if he physically has the need to 'port? If maybe his fuel cells might get backed up and it's the only way to displace the energy? Might explain the whole "fire and brimstone" effect.
Beware the Sleestak
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

For that matter, I wonder if he physically has the need to 'port? If maybe his fuel cells might get backed up and it's the only way to displace the energy? Might explain the whole "fire and brimstone" effect.
The only problem with that is it happens every time, regardless of how many times he's teleported recently. As for the other question, we just can't know. There's no way to prove any theory. ;)
muchdrama
Lubber
Lubber

Post by muchdrama »

Originally posted by HoodedMan
Originally posted by DeeJay
That is a bit small, but really nimble acrobats are pretty much very slender and what they have is mostly muscle mass, at least as much as I've seen. It's very good exercise, apparently; that's why they're as slender as they are. A friend of mine is an acrobat and she doesn't weigh anything. :D
I remember reading that Kurt was a lightweight...around a 140 pounds. He's highly acrobatic so that sounds about right.
"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it." --Mark Twain
DeeJay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DeeJay »

140lbs is unrealistic for a man of Kurt's physique. Have you seen olympic gymnasts? They're not skinny at all.
Ryuu-chan
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ryuu-chan »

I think some of the weight issue might also have to do with his height. When I looked at an older source (which I was going to use for my speech), it said that Nightcrawler weighed 195 and was 5'9. When I was browing through Target and found what looked like a tiny excerpt from the Marvel Encyclopedia, it said that he is 145 and 5'6. (My height, yay!) He would logically weigh more if he was three inches taller.
Older, smarter, and more sane than before.

Hopefully, anyway.
fuzzydude
Lubber
Lubber

Post by fuzzydude »

Originally posted by HoodedMan
Well, since he eats and therefore gains mass, presumably no. Although he might have to eat more htan usual.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own

Adam Savage

Mythbusters