Nightcrawler #5 & 6 Ghosts on the Tracks

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

Whee, preview for #5 is up:

http://www.popcultureshock.com/viewer.p ... d=3737&p=1

I really love all the references to 'Boy from Oz' that are popping up around the various X-titles :LOL
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

OooOOOOooooOOOOOHOhoohohohhohoooooooo....

:content

The last couple issues had lost me a bit but this is nice.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
OooOOOOooooOOOOOHOhoohohohhohoooooooo....
:content
My sentiments exactly.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

The Drastic Spastic wrote :
The last couple issues had lost me
Exactly NOT my sentiments. ;)
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

Well, I really enjoyed issue 5. We didn't quite get another shower scene, but we did get a "walking around in a towel after a shower" scene, and that's just as good. Maybe even better.
Nice art there, Darick.

But poor Christine! A hint for you guys--if you want to have a "we're just friends" talk with a woman you suspect likes you more than you like her--put on some effing pants first! In her bedroom, wearing a towel, is NOT good timing.
Kurt is usually more considerate.

I did like the way he dealt with the conductor's widow. Sometimes greiving people just need to talk.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Another awesome issue !

I liked the way you and Roberto used the X-men there.
They're Kurt's family so they're at the beginning. But after that, it's Kurt-the-detective, "Alone in the Dark".

And I just love those kind of ghosts stories !! :)

I won't repeat all the good things I've said in your forum, Darick. You already know I'm a big fan of this series.
(and my letter got printed ! Printed !! :bamf)
www.atlantys.biz

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by BamfChyck
Well, I really enjoyed issue 5. We didn't quite get another shower scene, but we did get a "walking around in a towel after a shower" scene, and that's just as good. Maybe even better.
No one minds those, now do we? :smirk
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Good issue, with great artwork.

One thing, though. I commute from Westchester to Manhattan every single day. So I can safely tell you that you do not need to go to 125th Street to get the Metro North Railroad back to Westchester. You can catch it at Grand Central on 42nd Street, which is much more convenient.

If Kurt and Co were taking in a Broadway show, and they were on the A Train line afterwards, I would assume that they must have gotten it at the West 50th Street stop. All they would need to do is take the A Train one stop downtown to 42nd Street, transfer to the Shuttle, and take that right to Grand Central, where they would be able to hop right on the next Metro North train back to Salem Center (not sure which line it would be, since Salem Center is a fictional town, but I'd guess it's the Hudson Line, since I know Xavier's mansion is near the Hudson River).

So, anyway, no need for them to go all the way up to East 125th Street to get Metro North. They were much closer to 42nd Street Grand Central.

Just saying, y'know. Thought I'd provide some of my authentic Noo Yawk experience :P
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Nightcrawler Artist!

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by BH123
Good issue, with great artwork.

One thing, though. I commute from Westchester to Manhattan every single day. So I can safely tell you that you do not need to go to 125th Street to get the Metro North Railroad back to Westchester. You can catch it at Grand Central on 42nd Street, which is much more convenient.

Just saying, y'know. Thought I'd provide some of my authentic Noo Yawk experience :P
Roberto is also a New Yorker. As a former New Yorker myself, I need to remind you that this is the Marvel Universe, not ours. How many times has the subway been destroyed by a super battle? Where is the Baxter Buidling or Avengers Mansion, or the Daily Bugle building? What subway do you take to get there?

Also, as a New Yorker you should know better than most how often the trains are not running on their correct tracks or schedules due to maintenece. In the Marvel U that maintenece would be working OVERTIME!

;)
ElfSpam
Lubber
Lubber

Post by ElfSpam »

I loved the fifth issue of Nightcrawler! I've been looking forward to this one for a while now, ever since the summary was posted on the Marvel website. Beautiful art as always, and the writing is just great! I particularly like the inner dialogue, as it's a fresh way to give the reader insight into Kurt's character.
My favorite moment had to be at the end, when he was walking around in the dark and you couldn't see anything but his eyes. That was an awesome way to illustrate Nightcrawler's unease as he walked around talking to himself in the dark. It became increasingly terrifying with every panel. Brilliantly executed. Just like the shower scene. ;)
This is a haiku;
Now I'm killing syllables;
I like fuzzy elves.
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

That second-to-last page was probably the easiest thing Darick has ever had to draw.

And yes, muchas gracias for more gratuitous Nighty in a towel. "Why, Kurt can shower at YOUR house, Christine!" ... Storm can be such a little vixen when she wants to.

I really do love the idea of setting Kurt up as the unwilling paranormal investigator ... there's a different take here on the usual 'superhero coincidence' thing, where no matter where a hero goes, something weird happens. Kurt's little incident with the demons got his name out there, and now people are going to come to him about stuff like that whether he likes it or not. It's a good push-off for the series.

And unbelievable freakiness with the ghosts and the dead train driver and then the flashlight coming on all of a sudden and BOOM! scary stuff. Darick really brought all the dark, spooky creepiness that was emanating from the story. That very last page made me jump like a foot ... as if *I* had just turned on the flashlight to find ... that.

Oh, and I adore Ororo's "yucky" expression when she sees all the rats ... as well as [spoiler]Logan's "send a mutie to college" line[/spoiler] ... absolutely priceless.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by Darick

Roberto is also a New Yorker. As a former New Yorker myself, I need to remind you that this is the Marvel Universe, not ours. How many times has the subway been destroyed by a super battle? Where is the Baxter Buidling or Avengers Mansion, or the Daily Bugle building? What subway do you take to get there?

Also, as a New Yorker you should know better than most how often the trains are not running on their correct tracks or schedules due to maintenece. In the Marvel U that maintenece would be working OVERTIME!

;)
If Stan Lee was on these boards, i'm sure he'd be posting to let you know that your No prize is in the mail :P
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

My no prize or to the guy I was responding to?
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

#5 is the best issue so far.

I'm starting to really like Christine Palmer. Kurt is being such a dork about her. Liked Storm's snarky comment. And of course he's getting phone numbers with that stunning bone structure. :D [spoiler]I find it interesting that in his internal monologue he tells himself he's leading Christine on, but then later when he gets the phone numbers she is the one he's thinking about. Why would he think he's leading her on? If he were really into Storm or Amanda, wouldn't he be thinking about one of them? Lovely.[/spoiler]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by ElfSpam
into Kurt's character.
My favorite moment had to be at the end, when he was walking around in the dark and you couldn't see anything but his eyes.
DITTO! Something else I liked about that sequence of panels? How slowly but surely you guys are showcasing all of Nightcrawlers 'amazing gifts'!
Teleportation...
Wallcrawling...
shadow-blending/invisibility...
fencing...

and now his not oft-referred to ability to see in almost complete darkness!

Can a display of his almost superhuman agility and considerable (& often underestimated) fighting skills be far behind? ;)

Also the characterization is spot on.
Compassion, self-doubt, resignation,determination,humor,bravery...vintage Kurt Wagner!

Eagerly awaiting ish # 6....:D!!

B A M F!
SmoothBamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by SmoothBamf »

all I have to say is that I have not been thriled with the writeing thus far I hope it will get better

Darick your art is still great

thank you :bamf
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Well, I think it's got room to grow, but thanks for giving it a shot.
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

Bah, everyone says they've got room to grow. You've just grown several meters taller than some, that's all.

fuzzybluelogic
Lubber
Lubber

Post by fuzzybluelogic »

The Solo series is cooler then a pile of Fonzies.

The art makes me happy. The writin' makes me happy.

So, go you guys!
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

Originally posted by fuzzybluelogic
The Solo series is cooler then a pile of Fonzies.
Great expression ... my sentiments exactly ... LOL

The solo series is one of my favourite reasons to go to the comic store now ... in fact, I think I specifically time my visits for the days when it comes out, and then pick up whatever else is there ... I think one time I came in and they hadn't unpacked everything yet ... I hung around the store, casting shifty eyes at the New Releases shelf, for about half an hour until they finally got it up. I was almost late for class ... that's how much it's worth to me. :)

Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

DoomInaBox wrote :
I think one time I came in and they hadn't unpacked everything yet ... I hung around the store, casting shifty eyes at the New Releases shelf, for about half an hour until they finally got it up. I was almost late for class ... that's how much it's worth to me.
You remind me of myself... ten years ago ! LOL

But you know, with the Nightcrawler series, I'm back in my teens : the owner of the comic shop just KNOWS I'll be among his first customers the week the series is out.
He always welcomes me with an ironic smile and says "I just knew you'd come today." LOL
www.atlantys.biz

Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

this is the only book I go to the store for, the other books I just pick up after looking around for a while. I think Astonishing X-Men is a close second, except I'm missing two issues... but I'm making it my mission t find them.... anyway, this series is great and hopefully Marvel keeps it, because if it wasn't for this book, I probably wouldn't buy any new stuff
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

Originally posted by Diablo
You remind me of myself... ten years ago ! LOL
Sometimes, I remind me of me ten years ago ... I don't seem to have mentally aged beyond eleven sometimes.

Maybe that's one of the reasons I'll risk the lateness of class to pick up comic books ... the latter is more important to me than ten more minutes of lecture. I've so far never snuck a comic book into my college classes like I used to in high school ... but I like to think it's because I have interesting classes and not because I'm growing up.

And my comic book store guy saved the first ish of Nightcrawler without me having to ask ... he said it was selling out and he KNEW I'd want it, so he tucked one away. He's my hero. :)

Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

What a fascinating conversation about the solo series! :P;)
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

Sorry, I was just on a tangent about how much I like the series ... I've already drained the praise reservoir on the first issue of "Ghosts" and am eagerly awaiting the sequel. Not much else to say except I'm starting to go batty from the thus-far unresolved cliffhanger ...