Nightcrawler Solo Series Speculations and Comments

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Nightcrawler Artist!

Post by Darick »

I think we're both looking to stay for a while, but we're committed to the first year.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Great news ! :D
September seems so far away !! :rolleyes

On one hand, I don't want the holidays to end, on the other hand, September will be Kurt's month...:smirk

Off-topic : i got the Nightcrawler statue by Neca today ! It's just perfect ! Yiiiha ! :bamf:bamf
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by Diablo
Off-topic : i got the Nightcrawler statue by Neca today ! It's just perfect ! Yiiiha ! :bamf:bamf
Ooh! Pictures please? I haven't seen that statue!
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

Originally posted by Darick
Ooh! Pictures please? I haven't seen that statue!
FRom Wizard World Texas 2003 Img1

FRom Wizard World Texas 2003 Img2

FRom Wizard World Texas 2003 Img3

Info on my site... which isn't much.

Can also find some info off of Marvel's new online catalog.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

oh, i got that for my birthday, it's even better in person :D
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by Darick
I think we're both looking to stay for a while, but we're committed to the first year.
Well, since Nightcrawler is one of my favorite characters, I will be giving it a chance.

Besides, I have always liked your work. And I thought you did a good job drawing Kurt in Wolverine #6.

So, who will be inking your pencils?
Jenni
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jenni »

Yes! It rules! He get neked!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

because i am waiting for the trade, i don't check this thread as often as I should, and it gets off topic, and i don't find out about it until too late. so I made Zamweasel a moderator of this forum, and her special task is to oversee this thread and other threads about the solo series. listen to her, please, and stay on topic.
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

Yay! Congrats to Zam! :D

Actually, I DO have a question for Darick about the first issue of "Ghosts" ... did you guys use any references for ideas on the plot? Because I could have sworn I read something in a ghost book somewhere about the subways of New York being haunted. It's probably just rumour schlock because they're so old and all ... but I was just wondering.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

I think marvel is making a mistake in putting Nightcrawler on delay. While i and many others will continue to purchase NC, i feel that for others interest will wain and some will just decide to start something else (and may lack the money once NC comes back). There will also be those who think the book is canceled. i don't want a fill in artist or writer but i worry about the break, as there is a momentum that has been built up.
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

It has nothing to do with the creative team. We are all on schedule.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I wish the date would be sooner though, maybe April or even mid-may I'd settle for, but June is going to drive me insane:evil:bamf
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

The only thing we can do is tell other people how much we like the series... and perhap's write (again) to Marvel and explain that the wait is too damn long !!

Anyway, it seems the future story-arc will deal with Kurt's past as a circus artist. That's just great. That's the kind of story I've always wanted to read !
Darick, will the action occur in the past, in the "here and now", or on both times ?
www.atlantys.biz

Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

I appologize, I made the mistake of thinking that with the other project that I've heard you have coming up that perhaps they had decided to do what they did with Larroca a few years ago with Extreme (the title took a little break until Larroca got back). This is something i would approve of (since that would mean a continuation of quality material) except for the fact that this is a bit early in the run to do such things (to make sure we continue getting good stuff marvel has to know there is def. a demand). Far to many good titles get canceled before they really get going.

This makes little sense to me (of course i'm not in the know). If both Darick and Roberto are on schedule then why would marvel halt the title for so long? I'm guessing that Darick cannot say so i'm curious as to what other people think.

Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Yeah, I'm not allowed to really elaborate, which has been as frustrating for me as it has been for you all. I'd like to tell what's going on and the thinking behind it, but I'm under contract and part of that contract is company confidentiality. These things they have chosen to do are beyond my input or control.

I can tell you that I'm drawing issue 7 right now and working on cover sketches for issue 8, so we're still in production and on schedule. We're going to be way ahead by the time 7 comes out. I am simultaneously drawing the Toxin mini series. I often do two books at once.

The good news is that despite the wait, the book is coming back.
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

Darick,
thanks for the reply. I cannot imagine how fustrating it must be for you. listening to us complain, knowing the why but unable to say. i guess we should just be patient (the wait, while annoying, is worth it since the quality is top notch).

slightly off topic, how long does it normally take you to complete a book? I'm sure that there are a great deal that factors into, research etc., but how do you normally go about things, prelims, research etc.?

Thanks

Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

On the average it takes me about 3 to 4 weeks to pencil an issue and about 2 to 3 weeks for it to be inked, but often while I'm penciling the second half, the inker is inking the first half , ect...
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

I confess to being more than just a little dissapointed about the hiatus. Considering that i've pretty much waited my entire comic-collecting life for a NIGHTCRAWLER solo series I guess sucking it up for a few months wont kill me. As long as you guys are coming back!

That said A few comments about ish #6...

1st off I loved the artwork. Artistically this was definitely my favorite ish so far. You are really hitting your stride DARICK! Kudos as well to WAYNE FAUCHER on inks and MATT MILLA on colors for contributing to the spooky/eerie feeling of the ish as well. The dark, creepy tone set by the art and colors was reminiscient of the movie SEVEN and succesfully contributed to the 'creepiness' of the story. Oh and speaking of creepy, kudos as well to GREG LAND for that cover :eek !

The story ended pretty neatly although I must confess to being a little bummed that Kurt wasnt romantically interested in Christine. I can imagine though that with some of the things being hinted at over in UNCANNY his plate is pretty full in that department! Which brings me to my favorite part of ish #6.....the interaction between NIGHTCRAWLER and the BEAST!

"I'm covered in blue fur and cant get a date. you're covered in blue fur and are forever extricating yourself from one or more romantic entanglements."

Oh, man I loved that line! :D Poor HANK. :( He shouldnt feel to badly though, 'cause there arent too many X-guys who can hold a candle to Kurt in that department :naughty Although I do sorta remember I time waaay back in his pre-feline, bouncing blue-furred AVENGER days when Hank was no slouch with the ladies himself. (I miss that BEAST)

Just a very enjoyable issue for me overall. Looking forward to (and waiting patiently for) issue #7......

B A M F !
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightmare »

Darick, you're a God.

... Okay, at least a demi-god.

I've been reading about the series and today I went to my (not-so) local comic shop and picked up 1 thru 6. Mind you, I haven't bought a comic in about ten years, except for the recent Green Lantern / Hal Jordan revival.

The art is fantastic, the writing is wonderful, and you really should commend your colorist, who so well compliments the penciled and inked art with the wonderfully subtle tones of blue fur and golden eyes.

You got this reformed comic-buyer back to the store again.
Don't hate me because I scare you...
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Is Marvel abandoning the first trade or what? First my order was delayed because the publisher postponed the release and I was told it would be shipped seperately, and now I get (from Barnes & Noble):
Despite our efforts, we were unable to fulfill some or all of the items in your order, as noted below. We have canceled this portion of your order.

We are sorry we were unable to complete your order and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

We hope you will return to http://www.bn.com at a later date to see if this merchandise is back in stock.

[snip]

This part of your order has been canceled:

QTY TITLE
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 X-Men: Nightcrawler
ISBN:0785116834
------------------------------------------------------------------------
.... :(!
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

The trade will come out this May. :)
www.atlantys.biz