The Winding Way (Nightcrawler #7-11) SPOILERS on last 2 page

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Just came into my comic store this morning (why they get their shipment on Saturday mornings is beyond me). Its mere presence was enough to get me to put on a pair of shoes (ick) and head out in the cold (it IS winter in this part of the world) to pick it up. Tried to read it in the car on the way home but dad kept talking at me!

Nice work from our boys :D [spoiler]Wonder if it's Margali torturing him with that little voodoo dollie? I've never cared for Emma...but she got a few points from me in this issue...unless of course it turns he was SUPPOSED to open that trunk...[/spoiler]
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

That's what I was thinking, considering the arc is named after her powers I'd only see it natural that she'd be behind it:bamf
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

I thought Kurt and Margali worked out their troubles about the death of Stefan in Uncanny Annual #4- "nightcrawler's infeno". If she is behind this, it will be interesting to see what she has against him now. But, it was an exellent issue, best so far. I loved te way dream and reality float over in each other. And it's going to get worse next issue? Eek!:o
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Margali's character seems to constantly be in flux, depending on who is involved in writing her. I, too, thought things had been settled after Annual #4... then I took a break from comics and found Margali had been VERY naughty in Excalibur. Summoning up demons in London? For SHAME, woman! :smirk

I suppose it would well be her behind all this...[spoiler]But using a voodoo doll? That seems a little odd for her, seeing as how she's supposed to be Romany. I figured she'd stay away from Hatian mystical elements. Of course, that could also just be me, being sticky on details where there is nothing to stick to....[/spoiler]

A well done dream/nightmare sequence is a thing of beauty, and it all looks so organic because we've all been there at one time or another. All of the "dream" elements in here (being able to breathe underwater, having people abruptly change, having angles of vision turn 360, and all of it accepted without question) are... just so natural.

As an aside, I've gotten another friend interested in this comic. He's one of the "old schoolers", who looks specifically at the pencils and bones, past all the wonderful computer generated colors. He was extremely interested in issue 7, and I loaned him issues 1-6 for his perusal. I think I may have hooked another reader. :D
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

This is exactly the type of Nightcrawler story I've been waiting for :love Must be the secret sadist in me, but there's just something yummy about people being tortured by their inner demons.

And about the voodoo doll: Margali strikes me as the type who would use any means if it furthered her goals. Maybe good old Romany curses weren't going to cut it?
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

Originally posted by Maelstrom

I suppose it would well be her behind all this...[spoiler]But using a voodoo doll? That seems a little odd for her, seeing as how she's supposed to be Romany. I figured she'd stay away from Hatian mystical elements. Of course, that could also just be me, being sticky on details where there is nothing to stick to....[/spoiler]

Well, then you and I shall be sticky together, Mael, because voodoo just doesn't seem Margali-ish to me, either.

However, in the back of my mind, I'm thinking our voodoo doll wielding mean person could be someone from [spoiler]Azzy's influence circle. Wasn't he centered in the Caribbean somewhere? Perhaps he has added some nasty voodoo practitioners to his payroll since he “escaped” from the dimension of exile. (If he did escape, that is…I don’t think that was made very clear). But if he is in the Caribbean somewhere, he’s probably still a little angry with Kurt for lying to him and alll.[/spoiler]
It’s just an idea I had.

Could somebody fill me in on Vermin’s backstory? I don’t know much about this baddie.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Maybe it's BOTH of them? He did mention that they were...more than friends...:naughty

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

I just thought of something, here....

[spoiler]It couldn't be Margali coming after him. Why would she insist that Kurt "pay for the sins" of her son, Stephan? I mean, she was pissed off at Kurt for killing Stephan. The fact Stephan was killing something else first didn't bother her in the least. Why would she now come back and want revenge on Kurt for somehow not stopping Stephan sooner, when it was the fact he stopped him at all that raised her ire in the first place? Someone or something else is definitely in play here....[/spoiler]

*hugs BamfChyck* Sticky together! :D (insert your own stickybuns joke here)
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Point taken…but Kurt and Amanda thwarted her schemes in Excalibur and Unlimited X-Men…she could be pissed at him for a totally different reason. Or maybe…she’s trying to protect him? Maybe he needs to go through all this torment in order to face a greater challenge at the end of it?

B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

VERY interesting theories all around!!

Just from the title of the story arc i'm almost 100% convinced that Margali is involved.
I always enjoy the interaction with (and concern shown by) Kurt's fellow X-MEN in the title! It really shows just how much of a family the X-Men are and I absolutely luv that stuff!
Oh and the lines from MYSTIQUE? Awesome. Even if he didnt want to or wasnt able to teleport few people realize just how dangerous Nightcrawler is/could be if he ever let himself cut loose. Raven's taunts implied that and I found myself smiling broadly at the fact that it was acknowledged in this issue :)

As I read the ish I was overwhelmed with feelings of concern for Kurt and an impending sense of doom that I hadnt felt for the character since waaaay back in Uncanny Annual #4... :eek !!
I have a good theory as to where DARRICK and ROBERTO are going with this arc. ( It's absolutely terrifying if i'm on the mark!) I think i'm going to remain mum on it for now though so as not to spoil the fun for anyone else in case i'm on the right track....:o

I sooooo wish we could have seen the NIGHTCRAWER / VERMIN fight!!! (tempted to try and doodle some pics of that)
That must have been awesome!!
He's always creeped me out as a villian... :eek
He's been a pretty formidable opponent for the likes of CAPTAIN AMERICA and SPIDER-MAN so I know that poor Kurt must have had his hands full! Cant wait for the next ish!!

P.S.

BAMFCHYK if I remember correctly VERMIN was a poor sap who was expirimented on by one of CAP'S main villians (Cant recall exactly who...I think it may have been BARON ZEMO or ARNIM ZOLA)
He was turned basically into a WERE-RAT. (yuck!)
I'm pretty sure he has superhuman speed, strength, and healing. He also has mental control over rats who he frequently uses to attack opponents/victims. (yuck pt. II!) He's also extremely savage, psychotic and as I recall he has NO qualms about EATING PEOPLE!!! (yuck pt. III!!)

BAMF!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Thanks for the info, BAMF !
I couldn't remember this Vermin guy.

So I searched and found this.

He seems to be quite a nice fellow...
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Diablo
He seems to be quite a nice fellow...
Ha ha! Yup, up until he's eating your liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...LOL! Man, VERMIN has always given me the creeps ...:eek

The thought of a NIGHTCRAWLER/VERMIN fight was so friggin' cool to me I couldnt resist the urge to doodle.....

I bet ya Kurt gave as good as he got in that fight!

BAMF!
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

Originally posted by B A M F !

The thought of a NIGHTCRAWLER/VERMIN fight was so friggin' cool to me I couldnt resist the urge to doodle.....
Great pic! Now get into Fuzzy Visions and give us more Kurt artwork! I demand it!

I feel like a clueless noob - I had no idea who Vermin was either :?
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Darick
Why do people alway spell my name with 2 R's?
:doh! DOH!! Apologies DARICK, had it spelled correctly in my previous posts. One of the perils of a two-finger typist trying to type too quickly... :shame

Poor Kurt....catching the 'super-cooties' from VERMIN. Definitely a nasty, nasty character...makes you wonder if the attack was random or if Kurt's tormentor might have had a little something to do with it...:eek

P.S. BLUEFOOTED I'm making a beeline to Fuzzy Visions right now...:)!

BAMF!
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

BAMF!: Yay! :D We need more artists over there. That place is crawling with writers ;)

Anyway, is it just me or was that the biggest, weirdest hospital gurney you've ever seen at the end of this issue? Maybe Beast's got special beds for those extra big mutants :? Anyway, not sure why that stood out to me... Back to your discussion ;)
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Excellent drawing, BAMF ! :)

I'll be waiting for your fanart. :)

I'm wondering... will we see Vermin in the series or is it just overplotting ?
www.atlantys.biz

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Now that that dead horse has been flogged...

That overly large gurny got my attention too. When I saw it I was like,"whoa! That's big" then continued on with the book w/out a second thought as to why it was so big.

I'm really interested as to how the next issue is going to turn out. Issue 7 was awesome as Darick had said it would be. And I don't know about you guys..and gals, but my summer is going really fast and in no time I will have that coveted next issue in my groping paws. (nothing dirty intended:smirk)

I'm curious about this ..Vermin character *scratches chin* he seems shadey to me. Mrah, ya see? Mrah! I'm curious as to why he attacked NC or his whole reason for being in it...guess I'll have to wait.

And that msterious hand with the cute little Nightcrawler voodoo doll...*makes Zim grabby movements with wierd high pitched creepy noises in background*

love y'all!!!

EMO
one name: Bruce Campbell
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by CurlyyHairGirl
And that msterious hand with the cute little Nightcrawler voodoo doll...*makes Zim grabby movements with wierd high pitched creepy noises in background*
:love I'm sorry, but you were just asking for it. :P
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Originally posted by CurlyyHairGirl
And I don't know about you guys..and gals, but my summer is going really fast and in no time I will have that coveted next issue in my groping paws. (nothing dirty intended:smirk)
I really, really like the ongoing title -I think nobody who's read all threads about it could miss that... :D
But for once, I'm not in a rush being at the end of the month.
Let's enjoy the holidays, baby !!

What's bothering me is that the comic shop guy I know didn't get me a copy of the TPB. GRRRRRR ! :mad:mad
www.atlantys.biz

bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

I saw the first TPB at Barnes & Noble and Borders - you might try either of those.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Thanks, but I live in another country, so... :X

What I'm afraid of are the sales for this fine, fine ongoing title.
The solo X-books don't sell well these days, I don't know why.
Of course, I understand why the Gambit and Rogue titles bit the dust : they weren't excellent.
But I'm afraid about this one... even though I only see its great sides.

Prepare to write to Marvel, everyone ! The preview for issue#12 is coming next moth, and we know what it could mean...
I'd really like to see Darick and Roberto's run extended.

What about you all ??
www.atlantys.biz

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

#11 Added to the Arc

Post by Saint Kurt »

Another book has been added to the arc. I think that's kind of cool actually - that there was more story to tell so your editors let you tell it. (Or am I reading into what happened?)

Nightcrawler #11
"The Winding Way. The startling journey into Nightcrawler's origin continues! While Christine's life hangs in the balance, Kurt must endure one final trial: A battle royal against an enraged Wolverine that echoes the death of Kurt's brother, Stephen! Part 5 (of 5)!

I like how Christine appears to have become so pivotal. Roberto took what was basically a lost Marvel character and made her an integral part of Nightcrawler's world. That is very cool.

Thanks
-e
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Nand is looking forward to it...but Nand is dreading the November solicits…neither Rogue or Gambit made it past issue 12…Nand fears Nightcrawler will meet the same fate…Nand is such a pessimist…

AndyB
Lubber
Lubber

Post by AndyB »

Maybe we should start preparing the Save Nightcrawler Campaign. They've given the book next to no coverage or promotion and after the hiatus, how on Earth do they expect it to survive or thrive. NC is the one Marvel book that I can't wait to read the next issue a minute after finishing the current one. It'd be a shame if they drop it, especially because I can't see myself picking up another Marvel book, right now
Originally posted by Nandireya
Nand is looking forward to it...but Nand is dreading the November solicits…neither Rogue or Gambit made it past issue 12…Nand fears Nightcrawler will meet the same fate…Nand is such a pessimist…
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Hm, it may be a bit much to do a "Save" Nightcrawler campaign, but perhaps we can use our board contacts to put in as much good word as we can. I don't believe that the death of the series in Issue 12 is a foregone conclusion, but I think we can help him out a bit to make sure it doesn't happen. :P
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.