The Winding Way (Nightcrawler #7-11) SPOILERS on last 2 page

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Nightcrawler Artist!

Post by Darick »

I know that June's a long way off, so perhaps you'd like to see the cover to #7 while you're waiting. :kiss

This is all me, pencils and inks, with Matt Milla's awesome coloring.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Nightcrawler #7 and beyond

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

That's the best cover so far:D Poor Kurt... didn't your mother ever tell you to take an umbrella... he's missing I can see.. anything to do with the plot... also by any chance can you tell us the name of the next arc?:bamf
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Wow. That's just ... yeah.

Nightcrawler definitely looks the best he has in some time in this series, and this cover is just amazing. Good design (leaving plenty of room up top for the logo, even keeping the upper left corner all black for the issue #, price, etc). I really don't like covers that are not designed to take into account the logo, barcode, and all those other things that need room on the front too, but it looks like your cover will stay virtually intact.

I have to confess that I would vastly prefer Kurt to have a relationship with Christine over the ... stuff ... happening in Uncanny. It's an odd dichotomy to see Kurt dealing with Christine in a very upfront, mature sort of way, getting his feelings and intent out in the open, then to look at Uncanny and watch him fall back into junior high-level "Does she like me, or her, or do I really like *like* her, or just like her?" sort of 'thing.'

And one final little thing... does this cover remind anyone else of the cover to Heathen Sent #1? I guess it's just the brick walls with the main character standing/sitting (in the case of Loki) with some band/show announcements tacked up on the wall. They're very different, of course. The Nightcrawler one is much darker with the protagonist not in the best of straights, while HS's Loki is on a much brighter color with that ... look on his face.

It's Loki - he's not evil, he's complicated.

-idsunki, writing funny songs about the mob.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Darick, do you ever slip little notes or stuff in your art, like on The Simpsons, which they slip something in like every episode (I haven't caught one yet) I so would if I was an artist.. a little shout out to someone on the cover:LOL:bamf
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Awww…poor Kurti needs a hug…poor dear’s so bedraggled...must’ve been missing a while to grow that crop of hair…be interesting to see the story behind it…very nice, Darick…sombre and kinda depressing, but nice…
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

That's a fantastic cover. I do so look forward to getting it. On another note, my pre-order (of the trade) sent me one message that said (paraphrased):
We are pleased to tell you that your pre-order has been filled and will ship as soon as possible.
I got one immediately after that that said:
We have been informed by the publisher of this book that the release date has been pushed back. We will try to fill your order as soon as possible and ship it.
:(!
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
That's the best cover so far:D
Thanks!
also by any chance can you tell us the name of the next arc?:bamf
Well, if you look closely, it's there on the cover.
Originally posted by idsunki
Wow. That's just ... yeah.

Nightcrawler definitely looks the best he has in some time in this series, and this cover is just amazing. Good design
Thank you! :)
I have to confess that I would vastly prefer Kurt to have a relationship with Christine over the ... stuff ... happening in Uncanny.
Well, here's a bit of trivia for you. Robertop originally created her for that and then because of tall the complicated stuff going on with Kurt in Uncanny we were sort of asked to drop her from the romantic interest category.
And one final little thing... does this cover remind anyone else of the cover to Heathen Sent #1?

I haven't seen it, if you're wondering.

Darick, do you ever slip little notes or stuff in your art, like on The Simpsons, which they slip something in like every episode (I haven't caught one yet) I so would if I was an artist.. a little shout out to someone on the cover:LOL:bamf
Yeah, quite often, actually.

Those band posters for example. That's Roberto in the pic of The Winding Way poster and Idlechatter (which is a bit cut off) is Joe Q's band and that's a drawing of them. He used to play Kenny's Castaways in NY (and still does from time to time). Poolbeg was a pub that was the Marvel crews regular haunt until it was closed down and the block marked for demolition. I'll miss it. Many a Christmas party there. I celebrated the last issue of Transmet with Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon and John McCrea at that pub. :(
Originally posted by HoodedMan
That's a fantastic cover. I do so look forward to getting it.
Thank you!
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I guess The Winding Way has something to do with the arc, or the title, and that would involve Margali, Kurt's foster mother.

I also noticed the piece of paper on the ground with the initials. Very clever Darick, I love pics with hidden meanings :)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Didn't realize that was the title, just thought it was the bands name, my boner (sorry, I couldn't resist using my new word):LOL This arc is bound to be great, especially when Margali learns how much time Amanda and Kurt have shared together and he never even called her:LOL
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Didn't realize that was the title, just thought it was the bands name,
Actually, that was the point. I wanted it to be subtle. That's the same reason my signature is a scrap of paper on the ground.
my boner (sorry, I couldn't resist using my new word)
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

Wow.
Unkempt as that, and he is still so hot. I agree with idsunki—he looks the best he has in years. Thank you, Darick.
I just want to run my fingers through that amazing hair.
nghtcrwlr
Lubber
Lubber

Post by nghtcrwlr »

I LOVE that cover! :love ... And I am a sucker for hidden and subtle meanings ... always go looking for 'em and this was awesome! I still get the same thrill I would get as a child while easter egg hunting at home *Candy? YAY!! SWEET!* :love
Keep your distance, my love... I bite.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

OooooOOOoooh! ;pant
Dangit!!!
Now i've got drool on the screen! *big grin* - what's the plot summary if its OK to ask? why is there a lil' "Missing - Kurt Wagner" poster on the wall? and isn't the winding way the magic thingy that Margali and Amanda use?
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Shadow_Dancer wrote :
I guess The Winding Way has something to do with the arc, or the title, and that would involve Margali, Kurt's foster mother.
Yes ! It sounds really, really promising !

PLEASE people, don't forget to let Marvel know you LOVE the series.
If we want it to continue after issue#12, we must write en masse to Marvel.

I'm so, so happy with this series and this creative team I don't wanna see them escape so easily ! :)
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

We're loving this book. It's become an underdog labour of love for both Roberto and I and I think we're here to stay unless we get cancelled.

So far that's not the case.

I'm not really allowed to give away much of the next arc's plot. I got special permission from Mike Marts to share the cover early.

I will tell you this much: It's all about Kurt, and he's in serious trouble. Roberto turned in a script that reads like a Grant Morrison story. Just great, and getting better.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Great cover - I pulled the blanket up higher while looking at it before I realized that I was just feeling colder looking at the pic.
I also like the starbucks cup. Just can't escape from that place can we? :LOL
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Kick a@@ cover DARICK! Kurt really looks in a bad way... unkempt, disheveled and rail-thin....:( As I look at it i'm truly overcome by a sense of doom and gloom.
And that tell-tale Winding Way poster....why is it that whenever MARGALI enters the scene it usually spells bad news for poor Kurt? Trying to think of everything I remember about the winding way. (Wasnt the HULK banished there a loooong time ago?)

B A M F !
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Grant Morrison? Crap! I haven't read anything of his I've liked...but then...I don't think he's ever written any characters I actually like either...but I like Roberto's stuff so far...I have faith in him...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

You'll like this.
Ryuu-chan
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ryuu-chan »

Very nice cover. I like how it's subtle and thought provoking, even though it is only the cover. The hole at the knee of Kurt's pants is also a nice touch. The way everything is set up gives it a vague idea that something bad is going to happen, even though you can't pinpoint what it is.
Older, smarter, and more sane than before.

Hopefully, anyway.
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by Darick
This is all me, pencils and inks, with Matt Milla's awesome coloring.
Wow. I was complaining about the rather generic pin-up covers on the first for issues, and how they really didn't attract any attention. Issue #s 5 & 6 were an improvement. But #7... like I said, wow. See, now *that* is a cover that grabs your attention, that makes you want to snatch the issue of the shelf and read it so you can find out what has happened to poor Kurt.

After finishing issue #6, and reading that the series was going on hiatus until June, I shrugged and said, "Eh, whatever." But now, having seen the cover for #7, I am very much looking forward to it coming out.

In other words, great job, Darick.
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Thanks so much!

It has taken some convincing that story covers are dynamic too.

Some folks think that if it's not all out action in your face, it doesn't grab attention. I'm not one of them.

I think about that classic Romita Spider-man cover where you see the Spidey suit in a garbage can and Peter walking away. How powerful and dynamic was that? You HAD to read that comic, right?

I am excited about this next phase of our book. Things are starting to come into focus.
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Darick
I am excited about this next phase of our book. Things are starting to come into focus.
:) !!!

B A M F !
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Originally posted by BH123

Wow. I was complaining about the rather generic pin-up covers on the first for issues, and how they really didn't attract any attention. Issue #s 5 & 6 were an improvement.
The reason the first four covers were like that was because the cover artist did them before Darick started drawing (or something like that)
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I'm with Nandy, it doesn't please this Nightcrawler fan to hear a story arc compared to Grant Morrison's work either.

However, I haven't been disappointed yet so I trust I'll enjoy it as I have the first six issues. I just hope the angsty Kurt doesn't last long. We've had enough of that over the last couple of years.

How many issues is this story arc Darick? It might have been said already but I can't find it.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image