NIGHTCRAWLER's best friend....

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Waaaay back when I used to think that these two were an odd choice for best friends. After a while though their close friendship just seemed natural. LOGAN's inherently violent nature sometimes makes him just as much of an outcast from society as KURT's physical appearance.

It's funny... but there was a time in my comic-collecting, X-Men obsessive youth, that I actually hated Wolverine. Just could NOT stand the character. Looking back ( and considering how much I like the character now ) I wonder if maybe it was because whenever the subject of "Who's the coolest X-man?" would come up among my comic-collecting peers, a good 90% of em would be screaming:
"What are you stupid?! WOLVERINE of course!!"
I'd yell out 'NIGHTCRAWLER' and get barraged by comments like... "He sucks!" ..."He's always getting his a@@ kicked!" ...."All he does is teleport around" etc. :mad
I'd be seething as I walked away.... and all I could think about was blaming it on that "scene stealing, spotlight hogging, yellow-costume-wearing, cliche...!"
Looking back now it seems kinda silly that I was sooo angry at the old canuckle head for seemingly taking popularity and 'screen time' away from my Fuzzy Elf. :LOL
WOLVERINE is truly a great character in his own right.

(Even if he does continue to be waaaaay overexposed :P)

BAMF!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

The "who's your favorite X-man?" question reminds me of something that used to always happen when I was playing Nightcrawler at the museum. (I'm just going to link to the topic right now: viewthread.php?tid=4714)

Kids were always excited to see the costumed characters there. Usually the focus was on Darth Vader and all the Stormtroopers, but occassionally a kid would be a big X-men fan and would be totally jazzed about meeting Nightcrawler.

When this rare event occurred I always asked them who their favorite X-man was expecting them to say Nightcrawler since I was standing right there. (And I rarely spoke while in the costume since the voice was so off. I have a naturally low voice, but even dropping it down an octave and speaking with Alan Cumming's weird fake German accent I'm not going to pass for male.)

But still... The answer was Wolverine every single time. It was like they'd been programmed or something. The irony was that I have a friend with a beautiful custom made X2 Wolvie uniform that I could never convince to join me on a Saturday morning.

So I told the kids the truth: that Wolverine was home watching cartoons.

-e
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Wolverine freaking rules, maaaan!

I know I'd rather be Wolverine than Nightcrawler. Traveling around, kicking ass, constantly tormented about how important you are with everyone seeking revenge on you for things you don't remember or the secrets contained within your body! Life of excitement!! Healing factor!! CLAWS!!! Fuck yeah!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

I'd rather be Wolverine than Nightcrawler. Healing factor, claws, all very good.

But mostly, it's because I want to have sex with Nightcrawler.

Fuck yeah!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Even since I've been a little kid, I've totally dug Nightcrawler more. Favorite X-Man Ever.

One of my old managers even gave me a bunch of NC themed stuff for my birthday a couple years back. He made a little card with a photoshopped pic of Wolvie and NC hanging out, both wishing me a happy birthday. It was pretty cute. He also gave me a few of his old Nightcrawler and Excalibur trading cards from those old sets, and the NC action figure with the little suction cups.

I have pictures of me in costume as Nightcrawler, and I have a season ticket to this year's ren fest, so I expect there will be more pics of me as The Dread Pirate Crawler this year!

So yeah, cast my vote as 'I'd rather be Nightcrawler than Wolverine.' Seriously, who wants to have to kill that many ninja per year? It's like he has a quota or something. I can just see it, come December he catches a flight to Japan just to keep his contract.

-idsunki, much ado about nothing.

-edit- "Fuck yeah!" -/edit-
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
bepalin
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by bepalin »

Originally posted by BamfChyck
I'd rather be Wolverine than Nightcrawler. Healing factor, claws, all very good.

But mostly, it's because I want to have sex with Nightcrawler.

Fuck yeah!
Oh that just opens up a whole new barrel of monkeys..
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by bepalin
Oh that just opens up a whole new barrel of monkeys..
Ha! At least that's one area that I think comic Kurt has Logan beaten in.... ;)

Originally posted by zamweasel
... would be totally jazzed about meeting Nightcrawler.

When this rare event occurred I always asked them who their favorite X-man was expecting them to say Nightcrawler since I was standing right there. (And I rarely spoke while in the costume since the voice was so off. I have a naturally low voice, but even dropping it down an octave and speaking with Alan Cumming's weird fake German accent I'm not going to pass for male.)

But still... The answer was Wolverine every single time.
LOL! The poor elf cant catch a break.....sheesh! It seems like everybody relates to the obvious bada@@. The 3rd time that I saw X2 I took a friend that wasnt into the comic at all and really wasnt that familiar with the characters. Wanted her to get an idea of why I liked "The funny looking blue guy" so much. Of course when the scene came where WOLVERINE 1st impales one of Strykers' soldiers in the X-kithcen, she leans over to me and whispers..."Oooooooh..now that guy's cool"...:mad :mad :mad!!!

Originally posted by zamweasel
So I told the kids the truth: that Wolverine was home watching cartoons.
:LMAO !!
Loving Tears
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Loving Tears »

Awww lol, though I have to agree that Nightcrawler is by far my favorite X-man (obviously not because I think he's adorable ;) ) lol. Oh yea, sexy blueness, two toes, funny claw things, skin tatoo-scary things and yellowy eyes with funny teeth :D ;) (Sorry, I've had a clot of chocolate and I'm on a lovely sugar rush! But he is very cute! :) )
No one is good at everything, but everyone is good at something. :)
Arcane-angel
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Arcane-angel »

Oh definatly I'd rather be Kurt.

I in no way wanna be immotal like wolvie. And sharp pointy claws slicing through my skin so I could slice ppls skin, uh, no. I think I'll pass.

now. Teleporting, having cool pointy ears a tail and knowing German. BINGO.

One reason I think Nightcrawler gets under appreciated was because of his role in the Old Cartoon Series. He had like three eps. If he would have been a regular on that he would pobably be as popular as storm or rogue or maybe even wolvie himself.
"I've got a dungeon masters guide
I've gotta twelve sided dice
I've got kitty pryde
and nightcrawler too
waiting there for me
yes I do"
~"In the garage" Weezer
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by InterNutter »

The first time I laid eyes on Nightcrawler, I fell in love ^_^ He was just so... entrancing. Hypnotic, even. And then I found out he had a sense of humour and he apparently didn't give a rat's arse how he looked, etc. I just loved him.

It helped, naturally, that he *thought* about his problems and innovated solutions with what he had to hand - rather than shooting everything and asking questions later.

I guess I'm freaky that way. I like my heroes with brains in their heads ^_^
The one and only InterNutter (as seen on FFN and NFN)
http://www.internutter.org
http://www.nutfiction.net <---Nutfiction.net! *THE* place to host fanfic [Now back online! Huzzah!]
Arcane-angel
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Arcane-angel »

unlike wolverine who would rather have someone elses brain in his claws.

or someone elses heart

or spleen.
"I've got a dungeon masters guide
I've gotta twelve sided dice
I've got kitty pryde
and nightcrawler too
waiting there for me
yes I do"
~"In the garage" Weezer
Loving Tears
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Loving Tears »

Hmm ... and going out with an immortal would kinda be spooky ....
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

I'd much rarther be Kurt, when I first started buying back issue sof comics, I started off by selecting ones with Kurt on the front. I always thought Wolvie was cool, but as for being him....No way would I want the mental baggage that would come with the package!

Wolvie has claws...big deal! Kurt has a tail :D
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

There is a saying about popular males...whether they are real or fictional...

'Men want to BE him...women want to be WITH him...'

With Wolverine, the first is at least true...but I don't know many lady comic readers wanting to be involved with him physically...maybe because he's a bit of a man-slut (and for me the fact that he needs to comb his back is a major turn-off) and the surly demeanour...there's certainly no long-term prospects with him.

But Kurt...well...in Groundhog Day Andie MacDowell described her perfect guy, and Kurt fit it perfectly (with the exception of playing a musical instrument and loving his mother...and his has very good reasons for not doing so).

It's interesting that these two are best friends...they're so very different...but the complement each other so well...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Nandireya
It's interesting that these two are best friends...they're so very different...but they complement each other so well...
Ssooo true!

Thinking waaaaaay back to when the new team was 1st brought together it really does seem like an unlikely pairing.
Early on Kurt always seemed to go out of his way to address the well being of his teammates. (His early interactions with CYCLOPS right after 'JEAN' became PHOENIX are a good example. )
Pardon my french but for the most part in the early days of the ALL new ALL different X-MEN Logan was pretty much a pr*ck. Very protective, yes, but there were also many times where he popped his claws and was deadly serious about threatening his fellow X-Men. ( I remember him actually attacking Kurt one time for just laughing at him...!)

Makes it all the more amazing that they'd eventually become this tight....:)

Would really enjoy seeing a good limited series with these two...

BAMF!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Would really enjoy seeing a good limited series with these two...
Most definately!!! :D

Nightcrawler is hands-down by far my all-time favorite X-Men character. Not because I want to be him or anything, but because I really respect him.

I have liked Nightcrawler ever since I first saw him on that old X-Men cartoon that used to play on Saturday mornings. I was very little at the time and, like was said before, he only appeared in, like, three episodes, but his words made an instant and lasting impression on me. He said "Would it be so hard to see the world through different eyes" or something close to that. I just identified with him and his world-view so deeply that, from that point on I was a hopeless Nightcrawler fan. Especially once I found out he was a fencer and liked old swashbucker movies! :D

My favorite version of him is from the Excalibur series (the early ones...near the end they got bad). I think my most thrilling Nightcrawler moment was in Michael Jan Friedman's cross-over book Star Trek: The Next Generation--Planet X when Nightcrawler had to teleport Data (my all-time favorite Star Trek character) across space to another starship. That was a tricky maneuver! :D

If you want to know how much of a Nightcrawler nerd I really am, I once wrote a short paper for one of my political science classes in which I included him and his role in the X-Men universe. (got an A) ;)

:D

:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Rowena
I think my most thrilling Nightcrawler moment was in Michael Jan Friedman's cross-over book Star Trek: The Next Generation--Planet X when Nightcrawler had to teleport Data (my all-time favorite Star Trek character) across space to another starship. That was a tricky maneuver! :D

HHEEYYY!!! I remember that :D :D :D!!
That was my absolute favorite moment from that book!! It was a great story and i'd been hoping that Nightcrawler would get a chance to do something spectacular. Then when it finally came and DATA was inlvolved.....awesome! I remember being almost giddy as I was reading that scene!

BAMF!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

It's interesting to see how Wolverine has changed, become more complex than just a killing machine, since his inception. The character was originally a bit shallow, probably because comics were more kid-oriented then (or at least, believed to be so). You had archetypes; the shiny leader, the practical joker and wisecracker, the (sometimes unstable) warrior, the brooding presence with the mysterious past, the cute female that often needed rescuing. Someone as complex as Spiderman or Batman was pretty impressive. (And let's not talk about the "campy" Batman of the 60s, here.... :whistle) Depth could be rather limited, because, of course, "kids wouldn't get that". Had to keep it simple, after all, so they knew exactly who to identify with.

In the very early days, Kurt was cast as the brooding-presence-with-the-mysterious-past, and Logan was cast as the unstable warrior. But after a really short amount of time, it was decided that they had enough brooding presences, so they put Kurt into a wisecracker variant. That, in itself, opened up a whole new can-o-worms. Kurt didn't look remotely human, and the lightheartedness came off differently because of it. It made it look like he was compensating for something, even making himself look more harmless to be acceptable to the world at large. You couldn't help but make the comparison, and it's a rather complex set of assumptions, motives, and emotions for a "kid" to untangle.

I think it would take a bit longer for Logan to "mature" because his archetype gave the illusion of depth on its own. You have to look a little harder to see that the "battered warrior" bit needs more than a bunch of clichés (wife murdered, sole survivor of a firefight, etc.) to make work. IMHO, Miller was one of the first ones to really, really do something about this.

Ironically, for me Kurt wound up being a more complex, mature character before Logan because he took life less seriously. And just as ironically, when he went into "brooding Priest" mode, he *lost* some of that depth and became as flat as the paper he was printed on.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

WoW, great observations MAELSTROM! Very true about how quite often a lot of those early team books would simplify the cast of characters into archetypes. Brings to mind GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1 . With SUNFIRE, THUNDERBIRD and WOLVERINE you sort of had 3 different 'new' X-Men with a variation of the 'unstable/volatile warrior' archetype.

Ironically it seemed to me that NIGHTCRAWLER's gradual transformation from 'mysterious past/brooding' mode into 'lighthearted, comic relief' mode coincided with the arrival of artist JOHN BYRNE and his apparent luv of WOLVERINE.
Which brings to mind one of the few things I dont like about the legendary CLAREMONT/BYRNE/AUSTIN run on Uncanny....

Nightcrawler's gradual degeneration into "Mascot-Mode". :mad

BAMF!
Loving Tears
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Loving Tears »

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Data from Star Trek and Nightcrawler from X-Men ... only my two favorite charatcers ever at the moment and I haven't a clue what this thing is with both of them in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o (Don't move, any movement might set me off and I'll explode...) ;)
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Can I move to type the answer or should I simply call the Nightscrawlers bomb squad?
Originally posted by Rowena

Michael Jan Friedman's cross-over book Star Trek: The Next Generation--Planet X
Well, it looks like Data and Nightcrawler are in a book together called... Planet X. Written by... Micheal Jan Friedman.

hmmm. Let's see... http://www.amazon.com...

Ah. Here it is!

Wheew. Explosion averted. And thank God for that. Does Nightscrawlers even have a bomb squad? I'm still kind of new.

-e
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

OMG!! You are not freakin' serious!... This Trekkie needs that!!!

Thank you, almighty Zamweasel. :bow:bow:bow
one name: Bruce Campbell
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

... haha! On the one hand, I have never heard of the book, but I've heard of the author. The man's a genius, so I really should look into checking out that book sometime. Thanks for the tip, zam!
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Cibo »

Sorry to ask, from wich X-Men issue was this page taken? Oh, I sure ike it. :naughty
To be honest I can hardly stand Wolverine anymore. He seems to be part of every team-up or crossover, plays an important role in every alternate universe/timeline and shows up on almost every cover. I guess it is just a matter of time until people will have had enough of him.
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Cibo
Sorry to ask, from wich X-Men issue was this page taken? Oh, I sure ike it. :naughty
CIBO those panels are from the fairly recent UNCANNY X-MEN #453. :)

Traditionally Wolverine has always been overexposed for the simple fact that his popularity sells books.
You just have to weed out the mediocre stuff from the exceptionally good stuff. DEFINITELY pick up GREG RUCKA and DARICK ROBERTSON's excellent recent run on WOLVERINE. Issue # 6 in particular is a must have for all NIGHTCRAWLER fans. It's a great self contained story that illustrates just how tight LOGAN and KURT are.

Another good example of what a great character WOLVERINE is when in the right hands is the classic CLAREMONT/ FRANK MILLER limited series. (available as a collected edition) Reading that is what made me start really getting into the character after years of having a distaste for him.

If youre a TREKKIE as well as an X-junkie you guys HAVE to read FRIEDMAN's 'PLANET X'! (Thanks for the link ZAMWEASEL!)
There was also a comic book UNCANNY X-MEN/NEXT GENERATION crossover one-shot that preceded the Novel. (If I can dig it up i'll post the cover!)

BAMF!