The Darick is spelled with one R thread

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Nightcrawler Artist!

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by B A M F !

I have a good theory as to where DARRICK and ROBERTO are going with this arc.
*Sigh*...

Why do people alway spell my name with 2 R's? It's not like it isn't written down...:?
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Could be a "keyboard stutter". Or maybe for the same reason they spell my married name, Dickinson, as:

Dickenson
Dickinsen
Dickensen

(I won't even go into what the title company did, even when we sent them the correct spelling of my name. Let's just say we had to initial over 100 changes in the document to put the misspelling aright. :rolleyes)

After doing my own looking into Vermin, it seems that the sources neglect to mention Vermin's disease carrying habits or venemous nature. Not sure if he's gotten another mutation, it's a different Vermin entirely, or he's been wallowing in filth, and poor Kurt has got himself a raging case of septicemia. Any of these are perfectly likely.

It's damned hard to wait these months between issues....
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

Originally posted by Darick
*Sigh*...

Why do people alway spell my name with 2 R's? It's not like it isn't written down...:?
The same reason it is impossible for anyone to spell my name right. They don't care enough to double check :P

Did I ever mention I love Kurt's hair in this issue. ;)
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by InterNutter »

It's the syllable rule!

Usually, when you have a new syllable on a 'soft consonant' [F, L, R, M, N, and sometimes T...] you double the letters.

I know when I read your name, I 'hear' "Dar-rik"... but I swear I'm gonna make an effort to spell you properly.

I know what a pain in the arse it is to be misspelled ^_^
The one and only InterNutter (as seen on FFN and NFN)
http://www.internutter.org
http://www.nutfiction.net <---Nutfiction.net! *THE* place to host fanfic [Now back online! Huzzah!]
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by Kaileighblue
*Sigh*...

The same reason it is impossible for anyone to spell my name right. They don't care enough to double check :P
The difference being that I am only known by 99% of you by my printed name!
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

The difference being that I am only known by 99% of you by my printed name!
And even fans of Weird Al can't spell Weird. It's a fact of life that some people just aren't that observant.

Look you made me derail your topic!
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Kaileighblue
Look you made me derail your topic!
:doh! Double DOH! The derailing would be my fault KAILEIGHBLUE as I was the 'Scrawler guilty of adding tha extra 'R' to DARICK's name in that post and for that I apologize :(
I've been a fan of DARICK's ever since a friend introduced me to his incredible work with WARREN ELLIS on TRANSMETROPOLITAN. It was never my intention to offend.
I've got a buddy named SEAN who tells me that it annoys him to no end when people spell his name "SHAUN" or "SHAWN" so I can definitely empathise.

It wasnt intentional on my part though, and I can honestly say it wasnt a case of "not caring" or "not being observant". Case in point:
Kick a@@ cover DARICK!
Got it right in that post...
...in those preview pages. Not to mention that DARICK is really hitting his stride! I've always said that you can tell when an artist is a HUGE fan of a character because it comes through in their artwork...

Spelled it correctly again...
we will have to add DARICK ROBERTSON's - NIGHTCRAWLER to that list!
..and got it right there too.

When i'm excited about what i'm writing I tend to type fast and I honestly hadnt noticed that i'd added the extra 'R'.
It was just a case of typing too quickly and not catching my mistake. No disrespect and no offense DARICK but i'm pretty sure it was the same thing in this instance with series writer ROBERTO SACASA's name...
Well, here's a bit of trivia for you. Robertop originally created her for that and then because of tall the complicated stuff going on with Kurt in Uncanny we were sort of asked to drop her from the romantic interest category.

Once again apologies to all for throwing the thread off course and apologies to DARICK for that misspelling!

BAMF!
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Once again apologies to all for throwing the thread off course and apologies to DARICK for that misspelling!
BAMF!
That's OK, I didn't intend to make a mountain out of a mole hill. It's just a pet peeve. Even Marvel, after years of loyal service to them, with and editor I'd worked extensively with, spelled my name with 2 "R"s in Fury #1. :rolleyes

I'm baffled how it happens when, as I said, my name is read more than spoken, don'tchaknow...

Anyway, I am belabouring the point and derailing the thread....
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I think everyone has experienced name misspelling or misuse at sometime or another, though it must be especially frustrating when it's your real first name.

For me the name "zamweasel" replaces the name "jedillore", a screen name I had for nearly 8 years without issue until the new star wars films came out. After the Phantom Menace, people zeroed in on the "jedi" in there (which was a complete coincedence - the name was created by pulling scrabble letters out of a bag - I wanted something random and genderless, but still pronouncable) at the expense of everything else. It was shocking the number of people who left out the second "i" or simply called me "lore" as though Jedi were my title. It bugged the hell out of me and like you Darick, it was super frustrating because "jedillore" was the sum total of my existance to most of these people. In the end I changed it.

In your case Darick, I wouldn't advise the same. :) Darick is a cool name, "jedillore" isn't.

As for the derailment of the thread... Haven't you heard? We live for that here. ;)

-e
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

I have trouble with my surname a lot...people spell it wrong...pronounce it wrong...think it's been spelt wrong and spell it they way they think it should be spelt...

I picked my screen-name in a similar way to zamweasel...but I used an Australian Aboriginal dictionary...I wanted something that fit with nightcrawler so I combined 'nandir' meaning 'night' and 'eya' meaning 'fur'...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Heh, I have the same problem with my surname, except that some people can spell it (the literate people). The others, I have to spell it out ("No, D as in DOG! No, not B!"). And everyone pronounces it wrong. ;)

It's interesting how everyone comes up with their names. With some people it's so subtle you wouldn't notice that it's anything other than random. I like your name now that it's been explained, Nandireya. :p
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Same here.
Excellent idea, Nandireya ! :)
I didn't know.

I had some mispelling problems, too.
My first name is "Maxime". But I don't use it on the Internet, because american people always understand "Maxine".
So they think I'm a girl, which is sometimes quite embarassing.
I go by "Max", ...or "Diablo".
Never got a problem with these ones !:)
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Even Marvel, after years of loyal service to them, with an editor I'd worked extensively with, spelled my name with 2 "R"s in Fury #1. :rolleyes

That has got to be annoying! I had a supervisor at one time that for some inexplicable reason kept calling me "DANNY". The only problem? My name is DAVE! It got to the point where I just got tired of correcting him.
And of course everytime he'd call me Danny my co-workers would just giggle their @sses off.... :LOL

BAMF!
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

As for incorrectly spelled names goes, my English teacher added an 'N' in my name and I never bothered to correct her:LOL:LOL:LOL so in her grade book it was the wrong name, but I think she caught on towards the end, because when she'd call out names to give back tests, she'd not say my last name (only kid too, everyone else was called out by first and last name)
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Cibo »

My last name is "de Millas" which is French ("of Millas") which leads to the following problems:
1.) I always have to dictate the name.
2.) It is mispelled most of the time.
3.) You can never know if you end up under "D" instead of "M" in a list.
4.) The "d" is written in capital letters.
5.) People keep asking me annoying questions where the name comes from (there is a town called Millas in the South of France), how it is pronounced (the way it is written) or whether I'm French or Spanish (I'm not, my father's not, my whole family is not.)

And my nick... I love the character but hardly anyone knows the manga she appears in (Blame! by Tsutomu Nihei). For some reason whereever I post on the internet people keep mistaking me for a boy... :bawl
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I had a supervisor at one time that for some inexplicable reason kept calling me "DANNY". The only problem? My name is DAVE!
Dave! It's been bugging me the last several times I visit Scrawlers that I could not remember your real name to save my soul! Whew!

When I got married I kept my maiden name, partially because my husband's French last name seems to be not only unspellable but also inpronounceable. My first name, Jeanette, has given me enough grief over the years without tacking another exotic onto it. :rolleyes

My Internet names are hard to spell and say. :D My original 'net name, Rhiannon Saille, which was my Society for Creative Anachronism name, was shortened to Saille, which some folks still know me by. Slarti, the short form of Slartibartfast, came of course from the Hitchhiker's Guide, and I'm more known by that name nowadays. In fact, when I went to a Halloween haunters convention last month, I spent three days being called "Slarti" instead of my real name, which is unnerving to hear out loud. :ooh:
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Hiya SLARTI! :)
Originally posted by Slarti
... I spent three days being called "Slarti" instead of my real name, which is unnerving to hear out loud. :ooh:
LMAO! I've always luved your posting name and its origin SLARTI. (Its also fun to type :P) I imagine though it would be kinda wierd hearing yourself constantly referred to by it out loud in the 'real' world ... :LOL

BAMF!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

My first name is Eryn. imagine all the ways to spell that! :X People always write the male version "AARON" or the othe female version "ERIN" as well as some pretty bizzarro ones. Can I help that I have a completely Irish name through and through? It's always the Y that throws people off. Even my parents spell it wrong at times :shrug.

My screen name came from my friends on me old softball team. I was called CurlyHairGirl alot during the first week of softball on that team because the coach insisted on nicknames. Eventually people started calling me Curly. We had a Moe on our team but no Larry. LOL
I just added the extra Y because it haunts me so.
I get called Curly by my teachers at school, it spread like a disease. Either Curly or (by my dearest friends) Freak. Yup, my freinds call me freak, I answer to it too:LOLthey don't mean harm by it, it's because I'm a little out of control when it comes to being happy. I'm rather fond of that one.:D feel free to use it here, I take no offense.:nodyes

as far as double letters like Darick being spelled w/ two r's I get messed up with names like Jenniffer and jeniffer and jenifer, etc (yup, too many spellings)
one name: Bruce Campbell
luvnightcrawler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by luvnightcrawler »

Ugh, my name is Cory. Most of my friends and even my own father sometimes spells my name Corey. Its not that big of a deal, but it drives me insane. So I have to sympathize with all of you. Having your name spelled wrong sucks.
And my username is not that creative, I know. I was kind of at a loss as to what to make my name, and luvnightcrawler just was the most simple and to the point name I thought of. I am luvnightcrawler everywhere now-on my site, when I sign guestbooks...
:pokeThe Realm of the Stripey Pants :poke

I apologize for any spelling mistakes. It's kinda hard to type in a straight jacket......