Anyone going to WW Chicago

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
AndyB
Lubber
Lubber

Post by AndyB »

I think anyone that does need to be vocal in there support for Nightcrawler, it's the best book by Marvel that no one seems to know about. Talk to Joe, Dan or the editors there and let them know Kurt has fans. I might even start my Save Nightcrawler gummi worn campaign a bit prematurely.

I'll be stalking the Cup o'Joe and X-men panels to ask NC related questions.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Cool. I might join you.

I often attend these things in costume though last year at Chicago Wizard World I had my only costuming... I don't even know what you'd call it... "incident?" while dressed as Nightcrawler. I got really manhandled by people wanting pictures and I don't know if it was that or just all the flashes or something else but I had a seizure. Never had one before. It's very strange waking up in an ambulance dressed as nightcrawler and not knowing why. Kind of made for a strange convention experience.

But I like gummi worms and I like the solo series... I could be convinced...

-e
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by zamweasel
It's very strange waking up in an ambulance dressed as nightcrawler and not knowing why. Kind of made for a strange convention experience.
I bet. That's when you wonder what bad drugs were in the convention's party punch, zam. ;)
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

So I'm going to Wizard World. Last night I had this sudden realization that I should go.

I'm going to bring business cards with nightscrawlers address on them. They're being printed right now. (Sometimes Kinkos is very useful you know...) Now that I'm not on the fence about the convention, I'm still not sure about wearing my costume. It's that 3 hour makeup job... It's brutal. Not to sound like the actor or anything.

Either way I'll be there. I'm leaving on the train tomorrow night and as we all know what happened to Nightscrawlers the last time I took the train, I just wanted everyone to be prepared.

If you're at WizardWorld Chicago and someone hands you a Nightscrawlers business card like this:

It's me.

-e

(Artwork courtesy of Darick Robertson and used with permission.)
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Awesome! The card looks great, and I wish I could attend! All I would need is a paycheck and for that I would need to work during the summer instead of just volunteer... ah well, autumn comes soon! :P
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Originally posted by zamweasel
I often attend these things in costume though last year at Chicago Wizard World I had my only costuming... I don't even know what you'd call it... "incident?" while dressed as Nightcrawler. I got really manhandled by people wanting pictures and I don't know if it was that or just all the flashes or something else but I had a seizure. Never had one before. It's very strange waking up in an ambulance dressed as nightcrawler and not knowing why. Kind of made for a strange convention experience.
-e
I know this is off topic, but I can help you there Zam.

Some people have a medical condition where normally they don't have a seizure disorder unless the person is subjected to rapid flashing light. Strobe lights and sometimes fast-paced arcade games or similar stimulus can set off a chemical reaction in that person's brain, resulting in a seizure. My cousin has this condition, and could never play video games as a kid. At his wedding recently they begged people not to take flash pictures. It might have been the rapid flash that set you off. Do be careful so you don't have a repeat experience.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Originally posted by Shadow_Dancer

Some people have a medical condition where normally they don't have a seizure disorder unless the person is subjected to rapid flashing light. Strobe lights and sometimes fast-paced arcade games or similar stimulus can set off a chemical reaction in that person's brain, resulting in a seizure. My cousin has this condition, and could never play video games as a kid. At his wedding recently they begged people not to take flash pictures. It might have been the rapid flash that set you off. Do be careful so you don't have a repeat experience.
The doctor in the emergency room suggested this as an explanation as well and for a long time afterwards I was worried about being in situations where I was being subjected to a lot of flash photos. Though - I used to work in costume a lot and it was not unusual to have a paparazzi style crowd of 50 to 60 photographers all photographing me and it never happened before. After the thing at Wizard World though I started posing in ways that faced me away from the cameras (which was fairly easy as Nightcrawler).

The only thing that complicates this is that I have really severe migraines that if left untreated can result in seizures as well. I wasn't having a migraine that day though so it's hard to know they were related.

The cool thing is that it hasn't happened again. I competed in a few costume contests with Nightcrawler and won best in show in a very large one. Afterwards all the winners were to go on stage to pose for photos. I went last and was there for nearly half an hour. All my friends were like "we were waiting for you to hit the ground and start twitching again!". (Thanks for the support guys :)) But I was fine.

It remains a mystery to this day.

Unfortunately my train broke down on the way to Chicago and I didn't even make it to Wizard World this year. I was very bummed. :(

-e