Priest Kurt: Why I saw it coming

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
fuzzy dice
Lubber
Lubber

Post by fuzzy dice »

kurt is great as a priest.
sure he could do better but everyone thinks that as soon as he leaves the priesthood he will be all funny and cool again!
nah....he could do alot worse like errrrrrrrrrrrr
a hermit or a really mean old bloke who never does anything............
what now?i have to make a siggy? ok lets see.........
err.....how about...um......
i like pie??
hey i like that! i like that alot!

Keep the colar kurt #3

an annoing purpel haired oik who starts fires you say?? oh you mean fuzzy!

who 8 all the pie?
who 8 all the pie?
i think thats fairly clear......
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

but he WILL be funny and cool again! he's getting a girlfriend, he's getting swords! he'll be great. trust me, Chuck is with us on this one, he wants Kurt fun and swashbuckly again.
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

yes, it is finally time for Kurt to be Kurt again. welcome home old friend...
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Abbatoir
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Abbatoir »

Swords, I'm fine with. Girlfriends, I'm fine with (let's see some breaking of the priesthood rules!). But what I really is the fact that even though Chuck is going to write Kurt as a funny swashbuckler leaving the priesthood does not mean he'll be funny again. If this were real life (it isn't, so don't point it out. Someone will, it doesn't matter who it is.) losing the collar would probably make him more moody than ever.
Abbatoir: professional lurker for hire. Now taking contracts. :D
:bamf: :deadpool: :agentx: :lifeguard: :slippy: :chamber: :phoenix: :bets: :tb3: :ghostrider:
"Keep the Collar, Kurt!" club #1 U2U me to join!
The "Losers" have won! The collar will be lost in the new year! But we will not let this happen!
"Get the Collar Back!" club #1 U2U me to join!
Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#2
Defender of Decency (hah!) in the C.O.C.K
Hug Fiend #1
Teen Scrawlers Leader
Pick your nickname! I am now known as Abbatoir, Abs, Abby, Abba, and Abb!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I really don't see how. under some circumstances, sure. but people leave the priesthood all the time and no all of them become depressed and moody. sometimes you jsut want a change, so you do. and if that's the case, why be moody? you'd just be doing what you want.
Abbatoir
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Abbatoir »

Whatever, Jill. I'm going to try to end the debate here (at least I'll try to stop arguing). I can't wait to see what Chuck's loophole in the priesthood rules is.
:bamf: :deadpool: :agentx: :lifeguard: :slippy: :chamber: :phoenix: :bets: :tb3: :ghostrider:
The "Losers" have won! The collar will be lost in the new year! But we will not let this happen!
Hug Fiend #1
Teen Scrawlers Leader
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Originally posted by Bamfette
I really don't see how. under some circumstances, sure. but people leave the priesthood all the time and no all of them become depressed and moody. sometimes you jsut want a change, so you do. and if that's the case, why be moody? you'd just be doing what you want.
That's right and i also think he might be dropping the whole thing before he was ordained because, why he should quit something he was just starting? i don't see any logic in that.
And also i'm pretty sure Chuck is gonna do an excelent job explaining what happened.
And i never found any logic in the whole priesthood issue, that's a plot i think it needs a lot of research and information, and time for being completed.
Betablue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Betablue »

Could probably play it one of two ways:

1. Chuck gives the question of getting Kurt out of the priesthood exactly as much thought as Claremont gave to getting him into the priesthood. That is to say, *zero*. So Kurt wakes up one day and goes back to being, well, Kurt.

2. The "dramatic" route (or, GO FOR THE OSCAR, KURT!). Kurt suffers that old chestnut, the "crisis of faith." This leaves him cynical and a bit sardonic, prone to jokes and moodiness in equal measure. I'm voting for this one, since they can always use ME (HA!) for research material if they need an old cynical recovering Catholic who's moderately quick with the quips.

As long as they don't stick a ciggy in his mitt and start calling him Pete, it should be alright.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Could be he doesn't like what's happening inside the Church...there's been a lot of bad press lately...

And the 'recently ordained' bit can be explained away with Kurt just trying to weigh the scales while talking to Cardinal Hammond...it sounded more impressive than saying 'I am Kurt Wagner, preist in training, I have come here for an explanation'.
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
LoneWolf21
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LoneWolf21 »

Originally posted by Betablue
1. Chuck gives the question of getting Kurt out of the priesthood exactly as much thought as Claremont gave to getting him into the priesthood. That is to say, *zero*. So Kurt wakes up one day and goes back to being, well, Kurt
It waqs Casey who put Kurt in the priesthood, not Claremont.
Abbatoir
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Abbatoir »

But Claremont started it didn't he? X-Men #100?
Hug Fiend #1
Teen Scrawlers Leader
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Claremont started it, Casey continue it.

**2. The "dramatic" route (or, GO FOR THE OSCAR, KURT!). Kurt suffers that old chestnut, the "crisis of faith." This leaves him cynical and a bit sardonic, prone to jokes and moodiness in equal measure. I'm voting for this one, since they can always use ME (HA!) for research material if they need an old cynical recovering Catholic who's moderately quick with the quips. **
:laugh::laugh::laugh: @ Betablue!
go for the oscar Kurt!!!
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

of course there is always the traditional 3rd way to get out if this...it's not Kurt but a clone/imposter/skrull/evil twin/shapeshifter/etc

not likely, but always possible in a comic
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
LoneWolf21
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LoneWolf21 »

Originally posted by Entropy
of course there is always the traditional 3rd way to get out if this...it's not Kurt but a clone/imposter/skrull/evil twin/shapeshifter/etc
Gasp! It was Lyja the entire time! And she's been using Kurt as her loveslave in the meantime!

:LOL:
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

"Kurt it was me!! Your Evil Twin FRANZ!!!! *evil twin laugh* and i took your place after you entered into a coma in that car accident when i cut the brakes off!!!!!"
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Erynne »

What cracks me up is that parents get on companies backs for quote, "promoting demonic worship", but then everyone else gets upset that Christianity is being emphasized. There's no pleasing anyone I tell ya!
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

yeah the devil this the heaven that yadda yadda yadda bleh!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I wanna have Austen's babies like I'm a lover of his. I cannot cannot cannot WAIT to see this end!
Originally posted by kurtlover
"Kurt it was me!! Your Evil Twin FRANZ!!!! *evil twin laugh* and i took your place after you entered into a coma in that car accident when i cut the brakes off!!!!!"
lmfao!!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
ChastMastr
Lubber
Lubber

Post by ChastMastr »

Originally posted by InterNutter
What gets me is that nobody's really latched on to the 'Gypsy' thing...

Aught to be fun to watch if anyone decides to overenhance *that*.
Eee, I hope not. The last thing we need in comics is more stereotyping...

I wouldn't say that Kurt-as-a-priest is the total "opposite" of the way he's been (he's had overt religious faith for at least twenty-two years now), but I do agree it's kind of hard to see.
Originally posted by kurtloveractually it started since X-men #100, when Claremont returned to the x-books
Scarily, the first thing in my head when you said this was that scene where Jean is rising out of the ocean (wait, that was 101, I think). Then I remembered this is probably one of the more recent X-series.
Originally posted by Bamfetteso he shall be leaving the priesthood very shortly, actually... and in a way that will 'shock and anger people with any deep-seated religious convictions.' iiiinteresting.... so who's up for some speculation on what that means? :smirk:
Probably some assumed stereotypes about what "people with any deep-seated religious convictions" are like would be my guess. Speaking as a person with some d.s.r.c's, I'd be hard-pressed to find much out there that really "shocks and angers" me in the realm of fiction. In the world of fact, people leaving the church doesn't shock and anger me nearly as much as the inexcusable behavior and attitudes of people inside the church, or who claim to speak for it.
Originally posted by Betablue
2. The "dramatic" route (or, GO FOR THE OSCAR, KURT!). Kurt suffers that old chestnut, the "crisis of faith."
As Douglas Adams had a bowl of doomed petunias say once, "Oh no, not again." Old chestnut indeed. And if it has to do with the "Church of Humanity" then haven't we seen all that in "God Loves, Man Kills"?

This is admittedly a problem with long-term continuity when characters don't age, or age very slowly, and old readers drop away and new ones come on board...