Does Nightcrawler teach?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by chicory »

I remember reading the issue where :) and :chamber teleport to Paris, and being kinda bitter and depressed at the time, Kurt complains that he was never given the opportunity to be a teacher at the institute.

Since then I've read fanfiction that claims that Kurt is the school's German teacher. Though combined with his training to a priest and his duties as an X-men it doesn't seem like he would likely have the time. (And I don't think he has the experience neccessary either)

So, I just wondered if it's canon at all in any of the books that Kurt teaches at the school. (Or what is now left of it). Whether a traditional sort of class or else teleportation. It was mentioned in X-men Unlimited #10 that he had a drama class. That's the only reference I was able to find...
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Angelique »

Well, the priesthood has been effectively ruled out, freeing up more time for the X-Men and related duties.
Kind of strange that Unlimited would refer to Kurt as a drama teacher, when the solo series has him saying that musical theater makes him uncomfortable. Hrmmm.
Also would be fun if he coached the school's fencing club!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by HoodedMan »

I think Nightcrawler's involvement with the faculty is largely speculative. Different writers have different ideas on what he should be, but as far as I know, he doesn't have a concrete position, if he has one at all. Discontinuity reigns, as always.

Nandireya would be able to find more references than I, but I can't recall off the top of my head him specifically teaching any class. I would definitely not use fanfiction as a source, though. Ficcers take artistic liberties (which is good) and therefore it's not necessarily so.

And why do you say he wouldn't have the experience necessary to teach German? He grew up in Bavaria, after all; it's his native language. It's a different dialect, but I think he could teach German perfectly, provided that the Professor's school is somewhat a law unto its own, and isn't required by local laws to have teachers with a certain degree.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by chicory »

Originally posted by Angelique
Also would be fun if he coached the school's fencing club!
Definitely! (And in my world Nightcrawler :love musicals)

I get that things are rather vague about what goes on in the institute - as much as I wish all writers were required to use a canon bible when they're hired

As for Kurt not having the experience to be a German teacher - I just meant that he's not trained to be a teacher. I speak American English, but I haven't a clue how'd I'd go about teaching it to non-speakers.

It's not fair to the students for Xavier's school to not have accredited teachers. But, even if they are kind of lax, I'd think inexperienced teachers would make lots of mistakes and be tough on the students. And the teachers would get frustrated too.
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Saint Kurt »

I have a memory of Nightcrawler teaching a drama class at the institute and using his teleportation to demonstrate the importance of a good dramatic entrance. It was about a year ago.

There are so many different X books out now though that I have no idea which one it was in. :read

-e
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I believe that was Academy X, but I don't get that book so I'm not sure. I did see a preview that he was said to be the drama teacher fairly recently, but I don't remember which issue.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Nandireya »

Those who can do, do...those who can't do, teach. :D

Yeah...except for that Unlimited where Beast said he was the drama teacher there's no evidence that come to my mind about him teaching anything...though I do recall reading that he was a part-time gymnastics teacher during his Excalibur days...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
john117
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by john117 »

it would probobaly be something physical like pe or a coach
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Shadow_Dancer
I believe that was Academy X, but I don't get that book so I'm not sure. I did see a preview that he was said to be the drama teacher fairly recently, but I don't remember which issue.
Issue 7... unless there's been more. I'm about a year behind on that book. I should catch up. The writing was excellent. The relationships are more realistic and fleshed out than the ones between supposedly adult characters in other books. Every character has an opinion on every other character, and you get to see it all. And there are more than a dozen regular characters. No love triangles here, that would be too easy...

Anyway.

It looked like a throwaway appearance because one of the characters had his sister visiting and she wanted to see some freaky stuff. I guess the drama thing was so they'd have an excuse to use his powers and really up the freaky.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
john117
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by john117 »

he could teach a computer class my teacher just gives us a book and says type the page he points 2
Haver
Lubber
Lubber

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Haver »

Well, this is purely speculation, bypassing the obvious:

We've seen him work on the Blackbird and (I think) the Institute electrical systems, so I suspect he's got some technical skills to pass on.

Definately he'd make a good guidance counseler.

Learning a new language really forces someone to learn grammar rules as well. He could make a pretty decent English teacher, I suspect. Remember these are high-school level courses, nothing advanced.

If your head is bent towards the priesthood, a decent-sized part of that includes philosophical teaching.

I think he'd make a great teacher, he's definately got the patience for it.

[Edited on 1/2/06 by Haver]
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by chicory »

I absolutely agree, he has the temperment to make a great teacher. And I'm sure he has all kinds of skills and knowledge to pass on to the next generation. (So, I'd like to see more of him teaching at the school).

Maybe it's taking the comics too seriously ;), but reasons Nightcrawler might not be teacher could be : erratic and hectic schedule being an X-man; lack of interest - especially for a discipline that can be tedious and demanding; even among mutants his appearance makes the students nervous; he doesn't have a teaching license.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by HoodedMan »

Well, he doesn't have a teaching license but as I said earlier, Professor X's school is somewhat a law unto itself. I doubt that they would require a teaching license just because the local law requests it.

Plus, all the other X-Men are teachers. It's that magic aspect of comics: However much time spent fighting villains, there's twice that much time that they seem to have had behind the scenes.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by chicory »

That's true - it's not like they haven't broken the law countless times before :D And a license is such a small thing comparatively, especially when you have faith that someone will make a good teacher.

But, I don't remember seeing Storm for instance teaching a class. I know that Xavier did (and I'm trying not to confuse the movie with the comics in my mind) and that Wolverine teaches self-defense and Northstar taught a flying class. And Beast and Kitty teach and possibly Emma and definitely Xorn. But, a lot of the X-team people - they don't seem to be a part of the academic part of the school at all.
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Cibo »

I also don't really get it... the only ones who are teachers for sure are Beast, Northstar, Xavier and Kitty, aren't they?
I could really imagine NC giving drama lessons. He performed at a circus so he has some stage experience, he is a bit of a show off and a charmer.
I know it is out of continuity but in X-Men The End Kurt's an actor- so maybe this is a hint that at least Chris Claremont might picture him as a former drama teacher?
Or he could give sports or gymnastic or fencing classes, anything like that. (I think some girls might be really anxious to join his courses... :D )
What about the Ultimate institute? Who else teaches but Xavier? And who does the cleaning and the laundry and the cooking anyway, who mows the lawn? With a house as big as the institute you should see vacuum cleaners and toilet brushes more often in the hands of the students than books and pencils. (I started reading UX-Men somewhat around issue 40 so I don't know if this was explained somewhere before.)
I think X-Men Evolution had an elaborate but simple solution, the kids went to a normal high school and just got extra lessons at the institute.
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I think he could teach German.. he'd just need to be certified, because once you know a language and have the right to teach it, I'm sure it can't be too hard.. just give an intro to the language for a while (hello, goodbye, thank you, etc.) then move onto counting and spelling and such.. It probably isn't too hard to teach a language when you're bilingual and know what you're doing:bamf
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Kaileighblue »

Late, per usual But I thought people might like to see the proof.

Academny X Kurt
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by HoodedMan »

WHOA. I love it. Good point; good scan!
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Cibo »

Thanks a lot. A bit hard to read though... *_*;
I guess there are not enough students left to teach now anyway so there is also not much left to debate, is it?
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Kaileighblue »

yeah photobucket made it that small lets see if I can fix it....

edit: I think I fixed it. No it just hates me I'm putting it on another place and relinking.

New link

[Edited on 24/2/06 by Kaileighblue]
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Sorry to get off topic, but who's the artist from that book? I like how they draw Nightcrawler..:shifty

[Edited on 24/2/06 by Blue_Demon94]
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Kaileighblue »

Michael Ryan actually. They yanked him from that book to do New Excalibur. He drew the students so well ;.; like they actually looked young.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Hmmm.. New Excalibur you say? :shifty I just find it rare for an artist to draw Nightcrawler well in an X-book.. Alan Davis and Darick were the best at drawing him and now all I have left is [spoiler]Bachalo[/spoiler].. :bawl
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by chicory »

Nice scan! What issue is that from? I'm guessing that was Prodigy's little sister he was touring around - is she a mutant too?

And I agree about the artist - I like how he draws the students.

About Nightcrawler being a teacher. I have trouble trusting what what writer thought would be fun to include since other writers tend to go back on it. Though, I do think that he would make a good drama teacher.

I also wonder if he would have time to teach what with all the missions he's supposed to be going on. It's not exactly fair to the students if he disappears for weeks at a time.
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Does Nightcrawler teach?

Post by Kaileighblue »

It's issue seven like someone mentioned before. They didn't get into how they (there were others, Hank taught math etc) taught because, the book mostly focused on the group of students. They just had some that were supposedly only teachers/student aides. (Northstar, Xian, Moonstar)

I know that in my HS though we went through 3 drama teachers in less than a year heh. It was also an elective and only half a year.

And his sister, no she isn't at least it wasn't said. And probably never will be now that the new people are in charge and Prodigy is being booted.