How high/far can Nightcrawler jump?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Born Blue »

I remember when Marvel.com bio used to say he could jump a total of 8 feet. But I just recently went back there, and apparently they took it down. I'm personally not complaining since I always thought 8 feet seemed a bit low. But does anyone have an idea of how high Nightcrawler can jump?
------ The Man who used to be Man of Letters ------
Well wadda know, I got a Nightcrawler fansite too!
------ http://respect-the-elf.freeservers.com/ -------
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

I already answered this once recently, but maybe it was over at X-Fan. When I did the character designs I specified that Nightcrawler could do a thirty foot standing broadjump and nearly that vertically as well. If you look back at some of my issues you'll see him airborne in chaotic fight scenes. He jumped a lot in those days. :D

:bamf:
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Yeah, well- Limits change. During Casey's run, Kurt 'ported from Paris to Bavaria- with a passenger!
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Originally posted by Dark Bamf
I already answered this once recently, but maybe it was over at X-Fan. When I did the character designs I specified that Nightcrawler could do a thirty foot standing broadjump and nearly that vertically as well. If you look back at some of my issues you'll see him airborne in chaotic fight scenes. He jumped a lot in those days. :D

that's right! i remember particular scenes, when he fought the sentinels and the Ani men, that was pure gold hehe :D now i think many writers underestimate him very much :( i know there's more powerful mutants but he's not that weak :( and specially in X-men evolution he's more weak than my grandma trying to go to the second floor using the stairs.:yell:
Frumious Bandersnatch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Frumious Bandersnatch »

In the comics he's an adult, in Evo he's a 15yr old teenager. There's a diffrence.
Ayee! Look! Its a Boggie...and his frumious Bandersnitch!
Shouldnt that be Bandersnatch?
Nope...Too small

Never double date with a buddy who can teleport. He will vanish as soon as the bill arrives. Damn elf
~Wolverine

I am C.o.C.Ker #15
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

And in Evolution he's out-leaped Toad and Beast....
Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Born Blue »

I already answered this once recently, but maybe it was over at X-Fan. When I did the character designs I specified that Nightcrawler could do a thirty foot standing broadjump and nearly that vertically as well. If you look back at some of my issues you'll see him airborne in chaotic fight scenes. He jumped a lot in those days.
I noticed that in issue 2 of his limited series where he was jumping around those stone snakes. Those were indeed some giant leaps. The last time I can recall Nightcrawler making a really big leap is the issues of Excalibur where he fights the troll leader. Now THOSE were some huge leaps. But I also noticed that on Marvel's site was that in Spider-Man's bio he can leap 32 feet (although I haven't recently checked to see if it still says that). So if they made Spider-Man 32 feet, I don't even want to imagine how badly they dropped Kurt's stats. Then again, Marvel.com hasn't been right thus far, so who cares? :)
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

There was editorial tampering with Kurt even during my first run on the book. Shooter decreed that Kurt had too many powers, and something had to go. He decided that we had to lose either the teleportation or the disappearing in shadows. I wasn't willing to let the bamfing go, so for a long time there were no shadow powers at all. They did get re-introduced later, thank goodness.

'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

Depends on whats chasin' him...heeheehee!
sorry I couldnt resist.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
bepalin
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by bepalin »

In regards to what Dark Bamf said about them taking away Kurts powers because he had "too many", I think he deserved more powers!
HES FREAKY LOOKING!! Just about everyones scared of him! Its just cosmic compensation that his other mutations kick butt! Well at least thats my take on it. *shrug* ;) LOL
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Is the vanishing power back? Last I knew, it was retconned as "He has Dark Fur." Well- with the secondary mutation craze, it could be re-introduced, and fixed in place.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Yeah, in this age of super-super-powered mutants, you'd think he could at least get his original powers back. The last time I remember seeing a run-down of his powers was in Excalibur, with Alan Davis. Davis went to pains to catalog and explain Kurt's powers, including the shadow-vanishing. But that was, what, mid-90's?
silvermouse
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by silvermouse »

I like the vanishing bit, gives the cool idea of the glowing eyes peering from shadows.
"We don't need another hero, we don't need to know the way home. All we want is life beyond the thunderdome." "Words fail, buildings tumble, the ground opens wide. Light beams down from heaven, she stands before my eyes. She's actual size but she seems much bigger to me."
Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Born Blue »

There was editorial tampering with Kurt even during my first run on the book. Shooter decreed that Kurt had too many powers, and something had to go. He decided that we had to lose either the teleportation or the disappearing in shadows. I wasn't willing to let the bamfing go, so for a long time there were no shadow powers at all. They did get re-introduced later, thank goodness.
Really, I don't get the idea of constantly changing and re-arranging a person's powers. Is it really so hard for an editor to look back on continuity and make a half way decent assumption as to what a character's power level is based on what he's done? Nightcrawler's powers/abilities have been written and re-written so many times it's not even funny anymore. I'm still kinda scared to see what he's currently like in X-Men.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

hmm. The last time I saw the shadow vanishing thing was in CC's X-men #101.

“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Born Blue »

It's also apparently where he learned to see in the dark as well. :)
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

Those were always to me two things that were really awesome about Nighty (the blending and seeing in the dark)!
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.