X-Force General Discussion Thread

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Yes, Road Trip was fantastic, especially compared to what Kurt's been getting lately.

While a critic described it as an "extended conversation between Kurt and Logan with moving scenery" I think that it really works.

What I really enjoy most about the story is that it stays very true to both characters, and it brings up an issue that I personally had and I knew Nightie would have.

^-^ Asmus needs to write more, he does Kurt very well.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

I'm very new to Nightcrawler fandom, but I'm looking for info about back issues that might have had really good NC stories in them. Anyone got something to recommend, along with the tltles, issue numbers, any other info I need to find the comics?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I would recommend the first and third Nightcrawler solo series.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Agree totally with Ang (the 1985-1986 and Winding Way ones were GREAT). I did not like the drawing style, but the writing in X-men Unlimited # 49 was EXCELLENT; perfect insight into Crawler's special wit, confidence, and humility. The X-men Manfest destiny one-shot of Nightcrawler (May 2009) was great fun too. The Excalibur series has a LOT of Kurt in it, often as leader.

uncannyxmen.net has a listing of issues with summaries, if you don't mind taking the time to search that site. You might also google Nightcrawler Spider-man team-up, because any time they were together was great. (I'm a Spidey fan.)

Welcome, and be sure to check out some of the older threads here and enjoy the marvelous GALLERY! This thread from the past is also informative.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Karl wrote:I'm very new to Nightcrawler fandom, but I'm looking for info about back issues that might have had really good NC stories in them. Anyone got something to recommend, along with the tltles, issue numbers, any other info I need to find the comics?
Giant Size X-Men #1, it is a must-have for understanding Nightcrawler. The first Excalibur series, starting with "The Sword is Drawn" has a lot of good Nightcrawler stories, particularly the issues written by Alan Davis.

I also recommend Wolverine 1995, and WildC.A.T.S./X-Men: The Modern Age. Classic X-Men #4 ("The Dare"), Classic X-Men#9 ("The Gift"), Classic X-Men #23 ("Nightcrawler's High Adventure").

And as Elfdame suggested, www.uncannyxmen.net is an excellent source, with summaries. You might want to start with the Nightcrawler Spotlight under Cerebro Files and Character Glossary here: http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight ... fldAuto=70

It has an issue checklist here:

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight ... =70&page=8

I recommend you avoid the first issue, however. The Draco arc is a retcon and will, hopefully, soon be reversed.

[Edited on 1/2/10 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

heh... I oughta go find some of these, too.

I'll say thanks for the both of us! ;)
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Yeah, I love the Wild C.A.T.S. one -- great crawlage!! I need to look up several of the others; have always heard about the Dare but never read it. So glad neling showed up as I hoped she would. And I forgot to mention Nandireya's site. So, sorry for the double post.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

My thanks to everyone for the recommendations and links to other useful sites.
I've got some of the back issues, but this has added many new possibilities to my list of ones to search for.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

For multiverse purposes, the X-men 2 comic series of Nightcrawler is written by Chuck Austen and takes place right before the second movie. I liked this comic very much.

There is also a hunk of Nightcrawler a lot of people might tell yout o *avoid*, but it is important to read it. The Draco (Sins of the Father?) was also (and unfortunately) written by Chuck Austen and is a series of events in Uncanny X-men (the numbers I can't remember I'm gonna go with 4 hundred something is where it starts).

Either way, there's a lot out there, and it's all worth reading, even the crap! At least you can say you have it, right? Form your own opinions and prove your love for the blue fuzzy ball of COOL.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Nachtkriec
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Nachtkriec »

HEY EVERY ONE! i just heard that they are making a nother nightcrawler solo series! its nightcrawler origins! cant wait!
Der Unglaubliche Nachtkriec!
The Incredible Nightcrawler!
http://www.midtowncomics.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/
(those arent my websites)
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

I think that was mentioned as something to come out in March 2010. Hey, it's March now! Anyone know anything else about this?

I have two questions/comments. The first is about the photo that I've been using. It comes from a photo in the Gallery, but there's no such scene in X-2, so far as I can see. Anyone know the background for the photo? It looks to me like Kurt getting ready to teleport one of the children out of Stryker's prison. A scene that was later deleted from the movie, perhaps? If so, it doesn't appear as bonus material for X-2. I'm curious because it just happens to be my favorite photo of Kurt. I have a theory about what may have happened, but would like to know if anyone else has the facts.

The second item is for Nachtkriec. Maybe you know more German than I do, but that doesn't look like the best translation of Nightcrawler. Kriechen means to crawl or creep, and Kriecher means one who creeps, but it has some unsavory connotations also. Kriec by itself doesn't show up in my German translation program at all.
In addition, I can find one of the Circus posters in the Gallery that is all in German and that calls Kurt Der furchtlose Nachtschleicher. Schleicher is translated as skulker, sneaker, but is also another synonym listed for Kriecher, so may connote crawler also. Since he doesn't literally crawl, I rather favor the version on the poster.
BTW, Furchtlos means fearless. Appropriate for him, but not the usual Amazing or Incredible that we're used to seeing.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Nachtkriec wrote:HEY EVERY ONE! i just heard that they are making a nother nightcrawler solo series! its nightcrawler origins! cant wait!
I believe it is a one-shot rather than a series, but it is still a good thing.

Master of Chaos
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Master of Chaos »

Yay! A new solo nightcrawler comic!
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Karl wrote:I think that was mentioned as something to come out in March 2010. Hey, it's March now! Anyone know anything else about this?
It's scheduled for March 24. Marc Bernardin is writing it along with Adam Freeman. I haven't seen a single art sample other than the cover yet, and only a brief mention of it in an interview with the writers so far.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Thanks for the info. I won't start looking for it until then. My only experience in buying comic books so far is trying to locate the old ones that have been recommended to me. I don't even know if there's a good place to buy new comics in my town.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Thanks to all of the recommendations and suggested links, I've been able to find most of the issues mentioned. I do have two questions.
"Road Trip" was highly recommended, but it was given as in Nation X, #1. I can't find any listings for Nation X. Was there more to the title than just that?
I've also seen reference to Earth X597, with a Nazi version of Nightcrawler, but can't find that as a title. Anyone know more about this one?
BTW, I've gotten most of the issues from a site called NewKadia.com. Reasonable prices, plus free shipping on orders of $7.50 or more. If anyone is looking for comic books, I highly recommend these folks.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Karl wrote:Thanks to all of the recommendations and suggested links, I've been able to find most of the issues mentioned. I do have two questions.
"Road Trip" was highly recommended, but it was given as in Nation X, #1. I can't find any listings for Nation X. Was there more to the title than just that?
I've also seen reference to Earth X597, with a Nazi version of Nightcrawler, but can't find that as a title. Anyone know more about this one?
BTW, I've gotten most of the issues from a site called NewKadia.com. Reasonable prices, plus free shipping on orders of $7.50 or more. If anyone is looking for comic books, I highly recommend these folks.
Nation X #1:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... ew&id=1645

The Nazi version of Nightcrawler is probably from the Excalibur series, possibly this annual:

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/issues/sh ... dAuto=2312

Nazi Kurt is also in Excalibur (first series) #9 and #10 and #125.

[Edited on 18/3/10 by neling4]

Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

neling,
Thanks so much for the info! I've already been able to locate one of the issues on the basis of your description and the links, and now have a better idea as to what to search for on the rest.
One good thing about getting into something late, as I did, is that there's a lot of good stuff already out there in print. One bad thing is that it's not so easy to actually *find* that good stuff. The folks on this forum have been extremely helpful in pointing me in the right direction. :)
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

A review of Wolverine Origins #46:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... ew&id=2056

When he says, "Nightcrawler and Kurt head up to a secluded rooftop where they can be alone with their thoughts and their words...", I'm pretty sure he meant Wolverine and Kurt.

DreadPirateBluetail
Lubber
Lubber

Post by DreadPirateBluetail »

Well, you can't really blame him for skipping over Wolverine when Nightcrawler is involved....
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Amen!! I am so excited for that!!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Nachtkriec
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Nachtkriec »

neling4 wrote:
Karl wrote:Thanks to all of the recommendations and suggested links, I've been able to find most of the issues mentioned. I do have two questions.
Nation X #1:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... ew&id=1645

The Nazi version of Nightcrawler is probably from the Excalibur series, possibly this annual:

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/issues/sh ... dAuto=2312

Nazi Kurt is also in Excalibur (first series) #9 and #10 and #125.

[Edited on 18/3/10 by neling4]
Nazi Kurt!? what? how and why was he a nazi!? okay... how does he excpect that every one is going to be blue and yellow eyed and a tail? i have never heard that:shakeno
they really should not have done that:shakeno
Der Unglaubliche Nachtkriec!
The Incredible Nightcrawler!
http://www.midtowncomics.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/
(those arent my websites)
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

It's an alternate universe version of Kurt, not something Kurt himself ever did.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Karl wrote: The first is about the photo that I've been using. It comes from a photo in the Gallery, but there's no such scene in X-2, so far as I can see. Anyone know the background for the photo? It looks to me like Kurt getting ready to teleport one of the children out of Stryker's prison. A scene that was later deleted from the movie, perhaps? If so, it doesn't appear as bonus material for X-2. I'm curious because it just happens to be my favorite photo of Kurt. I have a theory about what may have happened, but would like to know if anyone else has the facts.
I think I've found that picture. It's from the X2 Movie trading card deck by Topps.......#55 "Rescue and Revelations". It's definitely Kurt about to teleport one of the kids (a curly haired girl) out of the pit Stryker put them in.
I can't find any pictures on the internet of that particular card, but it's definitely in the deck.