X-Force General Discussion Thread

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:How is he the most likely candidate? I thought the person had white skin and a watch?
No, that's another body. One of the New Mutants is supposed to get injured, which is probably why Sam is there watching the operation and musing about leadership. I don't think it's an autopsy, because I don't see a reason for Sam to overlook one.

I posted a list of hints on another board for why Kurt seems the most likely to die:

- He's one of the few X-men that haven't had a "notable" death yet.
- He's one of the few X-men Logan would mourn like he does in the Second Coming Prepare issue. Further, when interviewed about Logan's role in Second Coming in IGN's Days of Second Coming special, Yost talked about a strain in the Cyclops/Logan relationship, saying "things will get as personal as they have ever gotten". Yet another indication that it's someone very close to Logan.
- He has sentimental value to a lot of fans.
- Fraction has declared it to be a "fan-favorite" and one of his favorites. While he certainly hasn't used the character much, he has gone on record as saying that he really likes Kurt and even considers him his alter ego in the X-men.
- It's said to be a "beloved" X-man and the death is supposed to have a big emotional impact on the X-men. Kurt has always been depicted as well-loved by many.
- He is suddenly popping up all over the place, including somewhat gratuitous appearances in Wolverine: Weapon X and Wolverine: Origins.
- Jason Aaron has stated that Wolverine: Weapon X #16 will be a requiem issue.
- Process of elimination. The other possible candidates are accounted for after X-Force #26.
- The X-men Origins: Nightcrawler issue was solicited as a "Second Coming prelude", when it had nothing to do with Second Coming.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I just read this theory by a poster on Marvel:

But it is not about killing a character. It is not like they thought "This would be really great for the story and something the fans would not expect" or anything like that. This is about getting sales up, bottom line.
If that is true then I think they are a bunch of dumb bunnies at Marvel and I hope they lose money out the wazoo with this tactic.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I am pretty sure the entire thing is nonsense if they kill smoeone who doesn't actually further the plot.

Cable is a waste-of-space right now, and though we all have a secret place in our heart for Warpath, he too is not exactly dustless on that shelf.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

love_of_bob wrote: I posted a list of hints on another board for why Kurt seems the most likely to die:

- He's one of the few X-men that haven't had a "notable" death yet.
- He's one of the few X-men Logan would mourn like he does in the Second Coming Prepare issue. Further, when interviewed about Logan's role in Second Coming in IGN's Days of Second Coming special, Yost talked about a strain in the Cyclops/Logan relationship, saying "things will get as personal as they have ever gotten". Yet another indication that it's someone very close to Logan.
- He has sentimental value to a lot of fans.
- Fraction has declared it to be a "fan-favorite" and one of his favorites. While he certainly hasn't used the character much, he has gone on record as saying that he really likes Kurt and even considers him his alter ego in the X-men.
- It's said to be a "beloved" X-man and the death is supposed to have a big emotional impact on the X-men. Kurt has always been depicted as well-loved by many.
- He is suddenly popping up all over the place, including somewhat gratuitous appearances in Wolverine: Weapon X and Wolverine: Origins.
- Jason Aaron has stated that Wolverine: Weapon X #16 will be a requiem issue.
- Process of elimination. The other possible candidates are accounted for after X-Force #26.
- The X-men Origins: Nightcrawler issue was solicited as a "Second Coming prelude", when it had nothing to do with Second Coming.
GREAT detective work and i'd have to concur with pretty much EVERY one of your reasons. Why else make such a big to-do about Kurt finding out about X-Force and what Scott has had them doing? Also... (kinda spoiler!!)
That one panel in Uncanny 523 where after finding out about X-Force Kurt says...

"Hank was right. I QUIT. I don't know WHO it is we've become but I don't..."

And it looks as if Piotr talks him OUT of it by saying...

"Surely the LONGER the Girl is out in the World UNPROTECTED by us...the MORE blood will be spilled..."

The irony of course being that despite his outrage, Kurt's heroic nature leads him to stay, @ least for this mission, and then he DIES protecting the child because of it. ( :( )
I absolutely HATE to say it... but in the context of the 2nd coming storyline all of the "clues" add up and it goes without saying that I am BEYOND pissed off and my blood is BOILING at even the THOUGHT of it ... :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad!!!!!

BAMF!
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

love_of_bob wrote: - Jason Aaron has stated that Wolverine: Weapon X #16 will be a requiem issue.
Do you have a link to where he says this? Thanks!

DreadPirateBluetail
Lubber
Lubber

Post by DreadPirateBluetail »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I am pretty sure the entire thing is nonsense if they kill smoeone who doesn't actually further the plot.

Cable is a waste-of-space right now, and though we all have a secret place in our heart for Warpath, he too is not exactly dustless on that shelf.
I do agree that Cable will die, but I think he will be the One who Sacrifices.
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

neling4 wrote:
love_of_bob wrote: - Jason Aaron has stated that Wolverine: Weapon X #16 will be a requiem issue.
Do you have a link to where he says this? Thanks!
Here.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Thanks again, love_of_bob! :)

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

B A M F ! wrote: That one panel in Uncanny 523 where after finding out about X-Force Kurt says...

"Hank was right. I QUIT. I don't know WHO it is we've become but I don't..."
Pssht, whiner.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Ugh, trollllllll.

Kurt's totally justified in being upset about that. His entire character past permits that.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Upset okay yes, but announcing your resignation in the middle of a mission is not exactly the moral high ground, especially if you take it back after some coaxing. I guess I just want him to grow up a little. He's been backsliding. Excalibur Kurt wouldn't have been such a fool. Hopefully being resurrected will take care of that.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Nobody seems to have posted here for quite a while, so I'm going to take a stab at it. I've spent most of the time since Kurt's death reading Nightcrawler fanfiction, plus searching out more of the older X-Men comics in which Kurt plays a large part. As a result, I find that my interest in him has not died, as has often happened to me when a character is killed off, but rather increased. In fact, I'm now writing Kurt fanfic myself. But more on that later.

I got the trade paperback collection of the entire Second Coming arc and it makes more sense to me now about how, why, and what Kurt died for. The follow-up issues dealing with his funeral and what Logan did in response to Kurt's Will were handled very well, for the most part. (Sure, I have some criticisms of certain aspects of those stories, but nothing's perfect and nothing pleases everyone.) While I still hope that he will one day be brought back to life, I'm not holding my breath.

If anyone would like to read my (fairly short) story about Kurt's death that includes a few scenes I thought should have happened, it's at http://xmen.adultfanfiction.net/story.php?no=600090809 Fair warning: It is told from Hope's point of view and includes the assumption that Kurt and Logan were lovers, not just good friends. No sex portrayed in this story however.

Yes, I've gotten involved with Kurt/Logan slash. I realize not everyone cares for that sort of thing, but if you do, or think you might, contact me and I can give you info on where to find it, all the way from purely romantic to graphically explicit stories. Other than the story I mention above, my stories are very hard-core and I love it. :D

So what are the rest of you doing in Kurt's absence? Has anyone found comics that have him in it in the other X-Men comics set in different universes that they'd like to recommend?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I am absolutely loving The Walking Dead right now. Planetary has also garnered my attention as have a host of other indy works. Unfortunately, time and budget constraints have not helped me expand my pull list.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

It occurred to me that Kurt likely won't be appearing in any ongoing title, other than in flashbacks, once X-Men Forever ends. He hasn't had his own mutation in that title for months and really hasn't had much focus. I miss the fuzzy blue elf. :(

As far as comics go, I still read quite the pile. Currently, I'm rather enjoying Dungeons & Dragons. It's got the fun a lot of bigger titles have been missing lately.

I, too, have been writing a story that largely features Kurt. The primary idea was to write something with an old character of mine, and she fits well enough within the mutant context that throwing her in with the X-Men works. Obviously, I stuck her with Kurt because he's awesome. That story's about 90 pages long now. :oops:
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Wahnsinn,
Glad to hear that someone else is writing Kurt stories! I figure that's the best we can do to keep him alive. (Well, that along with other creative endeavours, such as fan artwork and YouTube videos. Yes, there are YouTube videos out there of varying quality, some about the comics, some about the animated series, and some about X-2.)
Will you be posting your story somewhere when it's done? If so, please let me know. I'm always looking for more fanfic to read. I used to write predominantly original character stories in my previous fanfics, but somehow I'm now writing first person, Kurt's POV, something I thought I'd never be able to do.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Post it? I won't even let my husband read it! :LOL
I didn't start with any kind of plot in mind, so it just keeps getting longer and has structural problems. It's also in dire need of editing to smooth out some stylistic inconsistencies. The dialogue sequences are probably far too long in places and often don't advance the non-plot, but they amuse my warped mind. Honestly, I could probably write (terrible) dialogue for days. It must be the years of online role-playing combined with reading comics and memorizing scripts. It's given me an urge to write even though I think I suck at it.

What I should do is take another shot at completing the digital painting of Kurt saving a damsel. I would post that if the results were sufficiently pretty. :)
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Wahnsinn,
In that case, I encourage you to finish the painting of Kurt and the damsel, since that's where you seem to feel you have the most creative talent. I can draw worth a darn, but I've often wished I could.
Once upon a time, I wrote stories only for myself to read, but once I found out about fanfiction way back in the 70's and read some of it, I decided I could write at least as well as much of the fanfic folks did, so I gave it a try. Since then, I've written stories in many different universes. Until just recently, I thought I had run out of inspiration and ideas -- and then Nightcrawler came along.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

I'm definitely more of an artist than a writer. I've done more sculpting and painting with acrylics than digital work so far, but I'm learning. I'm debating over fleshing out the sketch a bit more before taking a second go at the Kurt image. Winging the face was resulting in him looking a bit like my husband. :LOL

Even if I can do as well as the average fanfic writer (which I wouldn't know because I've really never read any outside of encountering a few online role-players), I'm a horrible perfectionist. The idea that I might not have the personalities of characters not of my own creation bothers me to an extent that I normally don't deal with anything other than my own creations. This story is the lone exception. There are some small sections that I rather like, but I'm too chicken to show them to anyone.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, what do you know?
(possible spoilers for Wolverine 7 and 8)

Kurt made a pretty substantial appearance in Wolverine 7. Whether he's a memory, a hallucination, or his actual spirit, it looks like he may save the day, too. :D

[Edited on 1/4/2011 by Angelique]
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Is that the one where he's dressed like a pirate, with a sword and all? I haven't gotten it yet, but I saw a scan of one of the panels on another CBR Forum.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Karl wrote:Is that the one where he's dressed like a pirate, with a sword and all? I haven't gotten it yet, but I saw a scan of one of the panels on another CBR Forum.
Spoilerific!!!

No. I think that scan's from Wolverine 8.

Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

That's even better, if it means that Kurt's in both issues. I'll have to get them and see.
I recently subscribed to Wolverine, since I read a description of the story arc they are getting into and it sounded interesting, but the sub won't start for another month or so. Next to Kurt, he's my favorite character.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Possible spoilers for Wolverine 8......

Sometimes I love being right! Nightcrawler has a big role in it!

Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Hurrah! Is he real or a hallucination or what? (Haven't gotten the book yet, since the only comic store is a longish drive away and I'm not sure what issue will be the start of my subscription.)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So far he seems to be a jimminy-cricket type hallucination. A conscience on Logan's behalf I suppose.

However; Kurt is officially on the cover (in AoA form) for Uncanny X-Force.

Their job is to kill things, so I imagine he's not gonna make it out of that fight alive.