xmen Days of Future Past

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

xmen Days of Future Past

Post by steyn »

So, very excited about tis movie, didnt find a thread for it though, which was weird. Could have sworn there should haveen one.

Anyway, the latest trailer we see quicksilver in the movie. I thought hw was going to be with scarlet witch in the avengers 2 movieverse, not this one. Frankly I am glad about this, this only means one thing. They dont mind sharing movie rights on characters between production houses.

Fyi i am posting this with my phone, reason for spelling mistakes and lack of youtube links to trailers. If someone would be kind enough to add those in here, I would appreciate it greatly. Or muchly.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Re: xmen Days of Future Past

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

There definitely was one but I've been noticing threads disappearing lately... not sure what's up with that. Is there a time on stuff and if it doesn't get posted on in that time it goes away?
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Well...I'll be sitting in the dark waiting for it to begin in about an hour...

I'll let you all know if there's an itty, bitty, baby Nighty to watch for...unless you don't want me to...? I'll let you know if there's a post-credit scene at least.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Feel free to post spoilers in a different color font so we can't read it without highlighting! Then only if we are weak to temptation, one with the dark side of the Force, will we succumb to your spoilerific spoils.

:toothy :vader
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

I will confirm that there is a post-credit scene. Not an important one. It's just a tease for the next movie and we already know what that's about. Though I did hear someone behind me ask "Who's that?"

I actually liked their take on Quicksilver. He himself alludes to his paternity...directly to that pater in question...but they don't out and out say it.. He's a lot of fun.

There's heaps of cameos of former X-People, even a few formerly dead ones...ripple effect of Logan changing the past I guess. No Nighty in any way shape or form though.
Last edited by Nandireya on Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

WE CAN SEE IT WE CAN SEE IT!! IT'S DARKER BLUE THAN THE BACKGROUND!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

What the hell colour do you use? I've tried a dozen and they can still be seen!

Though...I didn't say much...
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

Seriously Fuck the Fox films

Constantly acting like Nightcrawler doesn't exist at all and even worse they killed off Azazel.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Nandireya wrote:What the hell colour do you use? I've tried a dozen and they can still be seen!

Though...I didn't say much...

I usually use some sort of green... vomity color usually...
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

FuzzyBlueElf wrote:Seriously Fuck the Fox films

Constantly acting like Nightcrawler doesn't exist at all and even worse they killed off Azazel.
How do you kill an immortal?

though...Raven had a tear rolling down her cheek right after she looked at his photo in Trask's slaughter file...so...maybe that meant something. Of course she could have just been crying due to all those mutant lives snuffed out...

The Honest Trailers guys agree with us... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cvkCv5cCD5Y ...around the one minute mark...
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Alright, first of all, wow. What an epic film. Singer knocks it out of the park! The use of many characters in a cohesive film with heart, humor, and hunks (Wolverine has a nice little scene for the ladies). I'm writing this on my phone as a quick reply, so warning you now, slight spoilers, but nothing we can't reference in promotional material. The way Wolverine handles and reacts to time travel is unique and fun to watch. Quicksilver is as cool as people have claimed, stealing the show, among other things. Just like Wade Wilson in Origins, he adds action and humor to the mix, except they neither botched the character, nor the movie in this one... I look forward to seeing him in the next film. Wonderful action sequences with sentinels and mutants alike. Mystique, Charles, Erik, and even Wolverine grow a lot as characters.

Now for a critique with, as I mentioned, some SPOILERY TYPE STUFF! First of all, New future mutants. Blink is pretty badass, and so is Bishop. I would not expect his final scene to end how it did, but then again, I felt the same way about Darwin in First Class. Sunspot was cool for effects and as a foil for Iceman, but Warpath seemed... what's the word... pointless? No... he just seemed that way in battle next to the likes of the other X-Men. He came in handy at times though...

Also, Anna Paquin deserves more than she got, especially since she is one of the first names in the credits. Here's to hoping she has a nice section in the bluray extras, and I'm no Rogue fan.

The idea of Hank developing a mutation suppressing drug is somewhat foreshadowing X3, but hey... everyone experimented in the seventies, right? Hank actually takes some action on the movie than reminded me of X3. Fun stuff...

As far as Azazel, Mystique, and Magneto go, my wife had some questions and I think I have the storyline straight. Raven and Erik are close, some may even say romantic, in this universe. However, Erik is arrested after assassination charges are brought against him (and, btw, how about that twist!) In 1963 or 64. This leaves Mystique vulnerable without her leader. She can't go back to Charles... she's changed! He's hurting but she is in this new group now. Who can understand her better than Azazel? The only other obviously different mutant in the group, he can be there for her. Say things get romantic mid-sixties, she makes a little blue bundle of joy which somehow ends up in the Munich Circus, and voila! This makes Nightcrawler about 20 in 1985 and 38 in 2003, when X2 came out. Good timeline. We don't need an on screen romance. Implied is fine with me. I agree with Nan in her first assumption as to why Raven is upset, however the latter is a contributing factor.

Another thing... stadium scene... awesome stuff. Necessary? Probably not... but Magneto does cover all bases, so to speak. Also, how the Hell are they going to fix the mess he made? I'd hate to be on that clean up crew!

End spoilers.

Despite all the criticism, this rivals all other X-films as the best installment. Opens up a world of new possibilities and storylines to be told, which I am head over heels to see. In awe of how well my expectations were met. Also, assuming Nightcrawler is in Apocalypse, I'm cosplaying the premiere of that thing!
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

Hey! Mystique ages slower so maybe her Pregnancy takes longer :P

Quicksilver's outfit still looks like a piece of crap just like how Deadpool looked so I would kind of say they are on the same level. Were those goggles only for the Prison break? Really cannot get past what they done to the character in terms of looks I guess that's the price I pay for liking underused Mutants.

Also I would like to tell everyone about that little girl in the Maximoff house is not Wanda

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/05/20/x- ... cut-scene/

I'm hoping for Polaris!
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

The little sister probably isn't Magneto's, at least from a chronological standpoint. Consider his arrest in November 1963. Even if he impregnated "Peter's" mom the day before the JFK assassination, she would be 9 years old at the youngest. She looks maybe that old, but I suspect Erik wasn't a solid figure in that family structure...
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

I agree that Quicksilver's look was crap...but his character was several shades of awesome...and I'm not usually a fan of the arrogant prick.
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

It most likely is Polaris.

Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Okay, so I was not expecting to like this movie as much as I did, so exercising the old geek-muscles made me want to post here about it.

From the previews and rumors I was afraid this movie would be too bogged down with characters and too convoluted to follow. I also was annoyed that there was once again no Nightcrawler even though First Class had completely teed up the ball for another appearance by him. But I have to admit, this movie blew away all my expectations. It was a perfect blend of bad-ass action and good character drama. It even managed to jump back and forth between dystopian future and retro alt-history without feeling like it was jumping movies.

Quicksilver's look from the stills was awful, especially the jacket and goggles. But in the film the jacket wasn't that tinfoily and he only wore the goggles once, in an incredibly well done scene where it actually made sense. (I liked the way the air moved against his face as he was running during that sequence.) His big action moment was a show stealer second only to Nightcrawler's white house scene, IMHO.

The time travel was handle pretty well. As far as time travel can be handled anyway.

Nitpicks with love:
  • Kitty having time travel powers was a little weird. The logical connection between traveling through walls and traveling through time seems a little thin to me. Though I did appreciate it thematically, as in the original comics version of DOFP it was Kitty that went back in time, so giving her a significant role in this plot was sort of appropo. I also liked that it was Bishop that kept going back in time to warn his team, as that was a nod to his origin in the comics.
  • Once again everything must revolve around Wolverine. He is the universal Mary-Sue, the Poochie of X-Men. But I did like that this whole story offers an alternate explanation of his memory loss.
  • Mystique's DNA is kind of a fix-all for everything isn't it? It will turn Hank blue then cure his blueness, let Charles walk somehow, and also make the Dyson brand Sentinels become a scaley version of The Destroyer from Thor. They were really cool though.
  • Trask's movies got muddied along the way. When the first batch of Sentinels were being shipped out he made it sound like he actually though Mutants were awesome, but then the rest of the movie he acts like mutants are a plague.
  • I thought this movie was going to completely ignore X3, but then it had scenes from it sliced in. That makes it confusing as to why Professor X was alive and apparently in his own crippled body in the future. Though I suppose it could be an alternate timeline (where Jean never got around to killing the professor but still needed to be killed by disolve-resistant Logan). And all this timetravel does open up the possibilities for future movies.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Kitty having time travel powers was a little weird. The logical connection between traveling through walls and traveling through time seems a little thin to me. Though I did appreciate it thematically, as in the original comics version of DOFP it was Kitty that went back in time, so giving her a significant role in this plot was sort of appropo. I also liked that it was Bishop that kept going back in time to warn his team, as that was a nod to his origin in the comics.
Once again everything must revolve around Wolverine. He is the universal Mary-Sue, the Poochie of X-Men. But I did like that this whole story offers an alternate explanation of his memory loss.

Yes/No. I thought Mystique was the centerpiece of this film and it was far less of a Wolverine-Fest than I had anticipated. Yes, it was frustrating it wasn't Kitty, but as an audience member and not just a fan of the comics, they did a great job focusing on a much-needed female character. Mystique is a mover and shaker in the comics, the actress portraying her is one of the strongest actors in hollywood, and thus it makes sense that Mystique was given the amount of responsibility she had. Emotionally, Lawrence is perfect for the job and ideally, Mystique is the ultimate assassin and ideal person to have in the scenario she was put in.

I think Hugh Jackman & James Macavoy both pulled all the stops and Fassbender was far more terrifying this time around as Magneto than previous.

Thankfully the films set up a nice reboot, pitting Magneto where he should be, in the forefront as a villain and not just a person the X-Men need to win over as an ally. I'm glad they've separated the group as much as they have. I would be disappointed if the next film involves the oldies from the first film and not a new cast... all that reboot for nothing, it would feel like.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Yes/No. I thought Mystique was the centerpiece of this film and it was far less of a Wolverine-Fest than I had anticipated.

Yes that's true. To give credit where it's due, Singer has a way of using Wolverine so he seems like the focus of the film when he's not. And Mystique really was terrific in this. In the first movies the character was a super bad-ass and in First Contact she got to be a sympathetic character. In DOFP, she gets to be both kick-ass and sympathetic.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Logan was all but useless in this film too... really the best part of the film for me. Far less of a Logan-centric flick...

I'm confused how the timeline is going to be set now but... hey at least it's been reset. Now we just sit back patiently & wait for APOCALYPSE!!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Logan was all but useless in this film too... really the best part of the film for me. Far less of a Logan-centric flick...

I'm confused how the timeline is going to be set now but... hey at least it's been reset. Now we just sit back patiently & wait for APOCALYPSE!!
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Logan was all but useless in this film too... really the best part of the film for me. Far less of a Logan-centric flick...

Agreed! Loved it when Magneto threw him into the Water.

As for Quicksilver I liked him, he wasn't in the movie enough and there was no reason for the costume his scene was good because that's how Pietro looks at the world.

I personally think nothing from the original movies has happened for one thing X2's ending cannot have happened if Jean is still alive and another thing is that Magneto and Charles now personally knew Logan so they wouldn't be wondering about who he is.

Also if Fox (And that's a big If) uses Nightcrawler in the 80s as a member of the X-men then it's safe to say the original timeline was completely wiped out.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

FBE, I'm not a mod, but as an experienced member and notorious accidental spoiler, you should try to put some spoiler warnings in your post. I mean,... anyone looking at this thread should expect spoilers. Der. (I mean, c'mon), but just incase, y'never know.

I think we can safely assume from here on out they get to pick the best parts of the timeline they want to preserve/keep. Like a buffet.

Hence the person who you noted should be dead who is not now. I'm hoping rumors (accidental or proposed by Singer himself) are correct and the first film's original cast is being RECAST as younger peeps in the 80's. That would be sweet... and Kurt would be a treat to have.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

We could see the REAL first teams. The original five plus the all new, all different. But...I guess the characters stated to be dead will still be dead so one all new, all different can't be there...
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

Nandireya wrote:We could see the REAL first teams. The original five plus the all new, all different. But...I guess the characters stated to be dead will still be dead so one all new, all different can't be there...
4 characters died, there's 4 Horsemen if Fox are clever they will use them

I do still wish they hadn't killed Banshee or Azazel why not have just said Banshee went to Ireland and Azazel's location was unknown? They did the latter for Riptude but who gives a damn about him?
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

You know my sister ruined my day when she pointed out that he dystopian future might as well have been the alternate future, and the normal timeline that the previous movies were is the timeline that was fixed, and the end of the movie is just before X2. Her proof is the fact that the sentinels were never mentioned in the previous movies. How do you explain that unless they were stopped before they went into production.