X3, Storm-free?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by bluefooted »

First post here (Hello, all!)... can't believe I'm de-lurking to defend Halle, but...

I don't think the X-films can survive the changing of characters the way that the Bond films can. Audiences expect Bond to be kind of immortal and also slightly unrealistic - so changing the actor and all the other unbelievable things that occur in those films are expected (and are part of the fun). On the other hand, Bryan Singer (Sp?) has really tried and I think, succeeded in making the X movies as realistic as possible - considering that they're about mutant superheroes. Suddenly switching a major character would, at least for me, make things really unrealistic and also draw attention away from the story to this one character (Wow, she suddenly looks a lot different...). Just my feelings on that.

I also don't think Halle was that terrible - I mean how much can you do with, like, 10 lines of dialogue? I was actually not planning on seeing X2 - I was really scared they were going to screw up Nighty - but then I saw an interview with Halle on some morning talk show. She seemed into it. They showed the scene where she blasts poor Nighty out of the rafters. Afterwords, she said something like 'It's okay, I don't hurt him too much, and later he becomes, like, my boy! :naughty'. I thought, hmmm, that's interesting... Long story short (too late), I went to see it, enjoyed it very much, and part of that was due to Halle!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Siona »

Must agree with bluefooted. Just how many lines DID she have in X1 or X2!?!?

I'm not saying I love Halle as Storm (I DON'T), but give her a break, people!

It's like saying the guy who played Cyclops sucked in X2 when we barely even saw him!

But, personally, I've come to see Halle as Storm. I can't see another actress portraying our beloved weather witch. That, and she makes Kurt/Ororo look good! NC totally scored!!

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X3, Storm-free?

Post by SheCat »

I must afmit that they need her back, even if only for a small part. True, I hated Berry as Storm, but if she's just gone then people won't pay attention to the movie because they will think "Where's Storm?". And just saying "She's in Africa." or something like that will kill the story. I was hoping they could have her die in X2 but she didnt. She's not a very useful character in the movies.
They could have a seen where she says bye-bye to them all and flies off to Africa that would disappoint some major Storm fans but save the script. But that means Halle would have to be back which she said she didn't want.

Last thing, what was that accent in X-Men 1? It was so...weird.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Maelstrom »

That was supposed to be a Kenyan accent. She was close, but it wasn't quite right. And, yes, the African accents do sound a little "British", because guess who originally went over there and colonized it within an inch of its life?
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by Phoebe Mittens
Well, I don't think he'll be getting back into the spandex any time soon, I'm afraid. And you can't expect the people who own the right to Superman to just give up on squeezing more cash out of the franchise - the world doesn't work like that.

The new Superman film will be a new film, not following on from the last ones. If we've got that many Alternate Universes out there I don't have a problem with actors changing in a new film.

I totally agree with you PM. But it will be strange to see a new incarnation of Superman. Poor CR. I wonder how he is doing.
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

I never found Halle's performance on-screen to be dreadful, merely uninspiring. Again, it's mostly her physical presence (soft, gentle) that runs counter to my perceptions of Storm (badass, queenly). Add that to her desire to Be A Star in a group film, and I am primed and ready to say, "NEXT!"

Seriously, naysayers, since it really looks like they won't pay her fee, you'll have to get used to the idea of a different Storm. And for all your reticence, I bet it'll take you five minutes and a glimpse of whichever new actress in costume before you say, "woo, there's my girl."
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Tatu »

you know, i was never huge on Halle as storm, coz i like you thought storm should be a bad ass (you know the punk rock mohawk chick?) .. but i just cant really figure out who else could have been a good storm.
Call me King!
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

X3, Storm-free?

Post by NightPoofer »

I didn't like Halle as storm because her accent was sometimes inconsistent, which makes me really mad. I like it when actors keep the accent throughout the entire movie and not just on and off. If Storm were to leave or they replaced her with another actor, I wouldn't mind in the least... Unless they got an even worse actor who couldn't even do the accent!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Maelstrom »

I think they bit off more than they could chew with insisting on the accent in X1. Storm could easily have been in America long enough to lose the accent (and in X2, that magically happened). After a few rehearsals they should have realized that Halle wasn't anywhere near as good at accents as Hugh or Panquin, and just cut it entirely.

Kind of reminds me of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, where Kevin C. kept his accent for only the first part of the movie.... :yech
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Tatu »

you know, the accent always kind of reminded me of me cleo, im not sure why, but it did..i dont worry that much about accent details, you know technically Pitor should have had a russian accent, but he didnt in the movie did he? ( i cant remember..i dont think he did)
Call me King!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Maelstrom »

He did have that Russian accent, but how many lines did he have to prove it? He did okay with it. It's just unless he uses specific words, his accent won't be all that obvious, and he was busy getting the kids out. I think he had maybe four words in the whole movie.
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Tatu »

ok thanks for that MS, i couldnt remember...
its prolly for the best ive heard some bad fake russian accents in my time (most of them done my me :P )
Call me King!
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

Funny, I never noticed her accent much either way. It was just sort of... a crispness to some of her words.
lonewolf
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

X3, Storm-free?

Post by lonewolf »

they better not get rid of storm. She is wicked!!! :bawl
Today i didn't fell like crying because i realised that life is just to short.

People got killed. Bad things happened. But at the end of the day, life was only another ride, like it or not, I'd been given a ticket, so what else could I do but hang on and enjoy it and save the tears for when it was time to get off.

Both quotes from 'Sex and the City'.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by sevati »

I look foward to Storm being replaced and I agree with MWP that Aisha Taylor is a nifty possibilty. First off, Aisha is infinitely cool because she hosted Talk Soup AND is obsessed with Queens of the Stone Age. She's tall, she has better proportions (tall and skinny with normal looking breasts).

Halle was ok as Storm. I want to stress I didn't hate HER. The magical ever-changing accent was bad, the fact that she was so tiny was bad. She was too damn timid, whether it was written that way or it was Halle's fault.. comicStorm just isn't what X1 and X2 turned out to be.

Hey, changing Pyro and Kitty's thespians worked perfectly. I'm up to one member in an ensemble cast being changed, it won't take anything away from the vibe of the group as long as they get the right actress.

MWP- funny thing, Angela Basset turned down 'Monster's Ball' because she found it too demeaning for a proud African-American woman to play...

As to the junkets and promotions, they say Halle was busy-busy doing Gothika or something. Sometime after X2 was released, she broke her arm on set. She had it in a soft-cast at that comic convention. I have to point out, her marriage has been having problems, and she's now got a pre-teen daughter to raise, maybe she thought it would be better for her daughter to stay in one place and skip the press all together. That is, if her daughter is with her when she's filming. I don't know, there are lotsa 'ifs' out there.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

Originally posted by sevati
MWP- funny thing, Angela Basset turned down 'Monster's Ball' because she found it too demeaning for a proud African-American woman to play...
Holy craps, are you joking? That is simply too rich.

Speaking of Angela Bassett, who is another favourite potential Storm... did anyone else know she was so tiny?? Berry is 5'7", but Bassett is 5'4". That's ultra-weensy. And yet in all the roles I've seen her play, I've remembered her as regal, tall, statuesque.

I wonder if they have her stand on boxes like Tom Cruise?!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X3, Storm-free?

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Mad With Power
People, come on now. Ororo "leaving for Africa" would be infinitely worse than Storm being replaced.
....why? I mean, am I missing something?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

Infinitely worse as regards plausability. It would be such an obvious "o look, this actress' temper forced us to change the plot to suit her."

Just having a new actress and going along as though nothing happened means that one person's temper tantrum doesn't spoil everything for Storm fans or film continuity.

I know you don't like her, Draz, but imagine the same thing happening to Nighty -- Alan flipping out about the makeup, say, refusing to come back, and having the entire character phase out instead of a new actor phase in.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X3, Storm-free?

Post by taekwondodo »

Just having a new actress and going along as though nothing happened means that one person's temper tantrum doesn't spoil everything for Storm fans or film continuity.

I know you don't like her, Draz, but imagine the same thing happening to Nighty -- Alan flipping out about the makeup, say, refusing to come back, and having the entire character phase out instead of a new actor phase in.
I'm with MWP here, a more imposing Storm would be a big improvement, someone with some real presence. It would *not* be good to lose the character over one actress's temper tantrum. It would be *positively tragic* to lose Nightcrawler so I can definitely see Storm fans being miffed if that were to happen.

On an entirely different note, I seem to be one of the only people around who actually *wouldn't* mind if Alan Cumming blew off the make-up job and got replaced. His acting was great as far as it went (he didn't get all that much in the way of dialogue either, after all), but he just doesn't *look* like Nightcrawler to me. Does anyone really believe the man could make it as an acrobat with that physique - or lack thereof? Please, at least have him work out for a few months before shooting.

Sorry if this sounds snarky as I know a lot of folks around here liked him in the role, and he's awesome in other things, but...

Back on topic - a new Storm would be a good thing, Halle would be tolerable, no Storm would be *very bad*. No love interest for Nighty.

TKD
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

TKD, I think you just made a friend in Drastic. She's been hating on Alan's puddy paunch since the movie came out. :D

I do agree, but it's not something that I notice so much. If he was buff'er, that would be great, but if not, it doesn't bother me.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Maelstrom »

I never saw Alan as having a "paunch". When we saw him in the church, he looked like a normal, lean guy, just not a very muscular one. So Alan doesn't have six-pack abs. Neither did Hugh (at first). And Alan did work out with the Cirque de Solet (spelling?) for a year to get in shape for the harness work.

I never expected anyone to have the same physique as their comic coutnerparts. It just isn't reasonable. The women won't have the incredible bustlines, and the men won't have the steroid-laced musculature. I'm happy with a "close" build and good acting. :)
Orangatan64
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Orangatan64 »

Preach it! I just don't want to see the "Batman Accident" Happen here and ruin the whole thing, know what I mean? :shame Please don't tell me anyone here enjoyed George Clooney (sp?) as Batman, other than as for laughing at how bad it was. Val Kilmer wasn't that bad, he just wasn't Michael Keaton. Apples and Oranges, DC and Marvel. Heh.

-Sorry if I offenfed anyone. Just one BAMF's opinion.:halogrin
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams.
"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with." - Marty Feldman.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" - Steven Wright.
Steff Wagner
Lubber
Lubber

No way

Post by Steff Wagner »

I was hoping they would get rid of her sooner or later :D
Kurt: you know outside of the circus most people were afraid of me but I didnt hate them I pitied them, do you know why?
Because most people will never know anything beyond what they see with their own two eyes!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X3, Storm-free?

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Infinitely worse as regards plausability. It would be such an obvious "o look, this actress' temper forced us to change the plot to suit her."

At least they wouldn't have to change the plot too much seeing as how she's barely involved in it anyway.

I... wouldn't complain. I'd rather have no Nightcrawler than more Alan. Don't kill me. I can't see how the character will have much to do in X3 anyway. It's going to be the Jean/Scott/Pyro (with the occasional appearance from Wolverine) movie. I hope. No, really, don't kill me. It's not nice. :P

*imagines X3*

:icey: Hey, where did :storm go?
:jill: She's gone to Africa to brood over :jean's death.
:lifeguard: And :)?
:phoenix: Oh, he went with her.
:icey: Cool.
:vader: Who wants to go for pizza?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
My Immortal Elf
Lubber
Lubber

X3, Storm-free?

Post by My Immortal Elf »

In my opinion, I'd rather see a new Storm than no Storm at all. I know, that as a great of job Alan did I would hate to see Kurt leave the movies because he decided he didn't want to do them anymore.

If Storm left, especially with the poor excuse of going to Africa (which doesn't seem in character for her with what I've read of the old comics) not only would it cut out on the Storm/Kurt goodness but I'm sure alot of fans would be angry not to mention leave other people very confused. Those who don't read the comics may not know she was once a weather goddess in Egypt was it? 'Gone back to Africa' would then sound a bit racist maybe? Or just plain unbelievable? In which case they would say it was them covering up for Halle leaving.
"I've been having these weird thoughts lately...like is any of this for real or not?" -Sora, Kingdom Hearts