Ach...If only I understood German

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
python_gumby
Lubber
Lubber

Post by python_gumby »

Anybody know what Kurt is saying to Jean and Storm in the rafters of his church. I kind of heard "get out" but the rest is uncertain. By the way, this is my first post so make me feel welcome. :D
python_gumby
Lubber
Lubber

Post by python_gumby »

Ugggg, I just saw it on the translation thread. Oops, oh well, hey at least I know. Sorry :X
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

call me crazy, but his very first line (he says it in the church) sounded almost like english.
i know he's saying something like "gehen sie raus" (my spelling's terrible), but when i first saw the movie, i coulda swore he said "get out" (in english)
i dunno i get delerious sometimes
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
- Alan Cumming (Interview with Wizard Magazine)
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mad With Power »

German is a root language of English. You're not crazy, you're just hearing truly similar words!
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

I think it's in the novelization. I could type it out but i'm no translator.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Ghost
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ghost »

why don't ya ask me next time? :smirk well ok might becourse i still have to learn alot english. :(
Sandy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Sandy »

You could also ask me! *shameless plug* :D

I seem to be the only linguist on board - :o
Actually, "gehen" is "to go"...not "to get", making the sentence not as impolite (well, it still *is* impolite but not *that* much ;)) as the English "get out"....

And German is not exactly a root of English, but belongs to the same close family. Some very early German dialects are the basis of the English language, so you still get a lot of really basic words that are essentially the same (just think of Hand=hand, Fuß=foot (the t turned into an s later on in German))
-ye gods, someone stop me or I'll start a lecture...:D

(I'm an English linguist, btw...but I'm German.)
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

woh buddy. that's a lot of info!
you're really smart, u know that?

anyway, he's saying stuff like "Get out!" and "I am the messenger of the devil" and "I am a demon!" or something along those lines.
isn't it a sin to lie?
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
Sandy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Sandy »

Buddy? Hey, I'm female ;)

Yeah, I got an IQ of about 150 :D (Honest...not that I think it's really useful a) to know it (apart from using it to make arrogant remarks) or b) to achieve something) (oh...and I like what Germans call "Schachtelsätze" - "sentences in boxes", the ones that appear to be a Russian doll...anyone still with me :LOL

Well, I studied language and literature (and Egyptology...yeah, I know, that's weird)

No, back to Kurt - he's just tried to kill the prez....he's confused, he's hurt and doesn't know what to do....what you get to know later on when Jean and Storm talk to him. I don't think it was really a proper lie :smirk
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

(my bad. when i say "woh buddy" i mean something like "wow" or "woh baby!")

yeah, i know he was confused and everything. plus he probably had a routine of saying that stuff to anyone who entered the church. i probably would too. privacy is a lovely thing and i'd wanna keep mine