Do people *know* that you're a Nightcrawler fan?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

I feel I need to elaborate on this- I'm sure my family would not understand my love for comics and the internet. My mom is 78 and thinks "chat" equals "evil brainwashing religious sect". My dad thinks I should fill my life with the proper arts, and my sister will doubtlessly consider this another of my immature money wasting hobbies.

Where I come from comics are for the kiddies...And I lack the energy to convince them of otherwise, so I just leave it at that.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Vaiyala
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Vaiyala »

(I think I'm gonna join in and rant a little, too. :evil)

Only a few of my close friends really know about my obsession but they see it as a an addiction for X-Men, and not Nightcrawler alone. (Yes, I do absolutely love the X-Men comics but I'm more interested in Kurt than I am the other characters when it comes to my favorite... Well, I do like Shadowcat and Iceman, too...) I can't really tell anyone because they have a tendency to tease. A lot. For example, I like the band Tokio Hotel, along with tons of other German bands my dad helped me get into. Whenever someone at school discovers this, they go into mocking how "gay that lead singer dude is".

They do the same thing with X-Men, no joke. They ask me why I'm into this "nerdy stuff" and they're especially curious as to why I like drawing Nightcrawler. It's not a good curiousity, by the way (everyone can't see why I don't act like a "normal girl" :rolleyes. Until I feel as if I won't get jumped or mocked because of my hobbies and interests, I think I'll keep only family and friends in the loop. :D

And in addition, my little Nighty obsession didn't even get out in my house at first. I seriously did think I was the only girl who liked this character enough to sit around and talk about him. :LOL
What is the meaning of life, my dear?
What is the meaning of all you hold near?
Why is it that you cry at night
when there's no one around you to hear?

~~Myspace~~ :computer

~~Deviantart~~ :bunny
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Vaiyalait wrote: I seriously did think I was the only girl who liked this character enough to sit around and talk about him. :LOL
Join the club, honey. I have two fellow fangirls online, one almost young enough to be my daughter and the other young enough to be a granddaughter. But we all love the Fuzzy Elf, so we turn into 14-year-olds together! We send each other our fanfics and etc etc. In my opinion, it's a harmless pasttime. My Hubby doesn't mind either, so that's cool. He's used to me talking about Nightcrawler and our Original Characters almost as if they are real.

Glad to hear you like Kitty too; I love her. And Rogue. And Beeeeeast (yum). And several others.

If you ever wanna obsess over Nightcrawler, U2U me! *giggle*
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Vaiyala wrote: They ask me why I'm into this "nerdy stuff" and they're especially curious as to why I like drawing Nightcrawler. It's not a good curiousity, by the way (everyone can't see why I don't act like a "normal girl" :rolleyes.
Pfft. Being a "normal girl" is highly overrated, as being "normal" requires missing out on a whole heckuva lot of fun. Life would be exceptionally boring if I weren't into more unusual stuff like Irish dance, comic books, and sci-fi. (In fact, I would not be married to the wonderful Mr. Ange if it weren't for my interests in those three things.) I figure "normal" people who see fit to mock us are two things that aren't really normal. They're boring and can't cope well with people who aren't.

I would so recommend getting yourself to a Comic Con. Then when Entertainment Weekly does what looks like might be another annnual article on, say, San Diego Comicon and the A list celebrities that are showing up there in increasing numbers, you can say to the "normal" people, "I was there," or better yet, "Yeah, sounds exciting. But I liked Dragon Con better."

Not to mention it feels great to be someplace where you and your "abnormal" interests are valued and shared by hundreds or even thousands of like-minded attendees.

And of course, there's this place!!!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Do people *know* that I am a Nightcrawler fan?

Only my family, my LCS, and everyone who works at his store, and all the forums I post on. I know better than to discuss him with anyone else. I would get "That is one crazy old lady." looks.

As to being nerdy, I have always been nerdy. I would rather read a good book than eat. I have a couple of obsessions, other than my family, and Nightcrawler is one of them.

Vaiyala, welcome to Nightscrawlers!

BTW I noticed in your bio that you believe the U.S is seriously lacking in it's own culture. You should go to a good powwow, or to the Oconaluftee Village and museum in Cherokee, N.C. The U.S. has a Native/ndn culture going back thousands of years.

[Edited on 23/3/09 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

All my real life friends are decidedly abnormal, but I still do not admit that I write essays about how Nightcrawler is not living up to his full potential and post them on the internet. I keep quiet about the cartoon-watching too. Someone from a message board posted on my Facebook wall about Wolverine and the X-Men and I was like... fuck, man. Don't out me!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

neling4 wrote: As to being nerdy, I have always been nerdy. I would rather read a good book than eat.
Silly girl, *some* of us do both at once! (Which is why I weigh almost twice what you do, hahahahaha!)
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Vaiyala
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Vaiyala »

Elfdame wrote:
Vaiyalait wrote: I seriously did think I was the only girl who liked this character enough to sit around and talk about him. :LOL
Join the club, honey. I have two fellow fangirls online, one almost young enough to be my daughter and the other young enough to be a granddaughter. But we all love the Fuzzy Elf, so we turn into 14-year-olds together! We send each other our fanfics and etc etc. In my opinion, it's a harmless pasttime. My Hubby doesn't mind either, so that's cool. He's used to me talking about Nightcrawler and our Original Characters almost as if they are real.

Glad to hear you like Kitty too; I love her. And Rogue. And Beeeeeast (yum). And several others.

If you ever wanna obsess over Nightcrawler, U2U me! *giggle*
Oh, I'd definitely love to obsess with you. :LOL Just be prepared for like, an hour of talking about his tail... No, his actual tail. XD
Angelique wrote:
Vaiyala wrote: They ask me why I'm into this "nerdy stuff" and they're especially curious as to why I like drawing Nightcrawler. It's not a good curiousity, by the way (everyone can't see why I don't act like a "normal girl" :rolleyes.
Pfft. Being a "normal girl" is highly overrated, as being "normal" requires missing out on a whole heckuva lot of fun. Life would be exceptionally boring if I weren't into more unusual stuff like Irish dance, comic books, and sci-fi. (In fact, I would not be married to the wonderful Mr. Ange if it weren't for my interests in those three things.) I figure "normal" people who see fit to mock us are two things that aren't really normal. They're boring and can't cope well with people who aren't.

I would so recommend getting yourself to a Comic Con. Then when Entertainment Weekly does what looks like might be another annnual article on, say, San Diego Comicon and the A list celebrities that are showing up there in increasing numbers, you can say to the "normal" people, "I was there," or better yet, "Yeah, sounds exciting. But I liked Dragon Con better."

Not to mention it feels great to be someplace where you and your "abnormal" interests are valued and shared by hundreds or even thousands of like-minded attendees.

And of course, there's this place!!!
The Hero Convention is actually coming to Charlotte sometime in June so me and my entire family (including the mom who would rather be off doing crafts somewhere) are going. I went back in 2007 and it has to be the single greatest thing that's happened to me so far. ^^ I didn't buy much (I was poor lol) but I got tons of autographs and free indie comics from some chick with blue hair.

Toxo
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Toxo »

My brother probably knew back when I drew pictures of Evo-Kurt as a kid. But I bet he's forgotten by now. I doubt anybody IRL knows. Some might guess from my msn avatar, but that's pretty much all. :smirk
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

The Drastic Spastic wrote:fuck, man. Don't out me!
I had a friend like that who I did costume stuff with.

Only it's not like the internet which is relatively anonymous we were like ... out there ... wearing costumes. She was constantly obsessing about being seen and what would she do and what would she say. It seemed very stressful. One time we ran into two of her work friends and she nearly had a heart attack, but they were like "Hey you MADE this? That's so cool. It looks like you guys are having fun. See you Monday."

In other words they sincerely didn't care what she wore on the weekends.

I've been "the girl who likes comics" since high school. Guys think it's cool. Girls don't care. And that's how it's always been. The ONLY place I've ever experienced resistance is in Vet School actually. I'll occasionally have a trade paper back I'm reading or mention that I've owned a website for comic book fans for like 5 years and people get that "huh. That's kind of dumb." look. But vet school is THE most conformist environment I've ever been in so I'm not that worried about it.

I mean if it affected my ability to practice medicine, I'd see how it could be an issue but the chances of my saying "I'm sorry. I don't know what's wrong with your dog because I like to read comic books." is very very slim. I just don't see it happening.

:)

-e
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Toxo wrote:My brother probably knew back when I drew pictures of Evo-Kurt as a kid. But I bet he's forgotten by now. I doubt anybody IRL knows. Some might guess from my msn avatar, but that's pretty much all. :smirk
OMG your avatar!! Where is it from?? I want to cuddle it and huggle it and feed it!
Toxo
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Toxo »

love_of_bob wrote: OMG your avatar!! Where is it from?? I want to cuddle it and huggle it and feed it!
Found it on deviantART. :)
http://princefala.deviantart.com/art/Ic ... t-53320071
NinjaMisha
Lubber
Lubber

Post by NinjaMisha »

All my friends know :)
My saying is " If it's something I'm going to be ashamed of, then I'm not going to bother to be into it"...it's too troublesome otherwise honestly. And my friends,family and husband are all very accepting of my fangirling over comic/cartoon/anime/manga characters ^_~.
It'd be nice know someone IRL thats as much of a Nighty fan as well :( .
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

My friends roll their eyes, but none are into comics so I think they're rolling their eyes about the whole "comic thing"....not necessarily the Nightcrawler thing.
My Dad is cool with it because he likes things my mother rolls her eyes at (like generators, radios from WWII, old WWII trucks that carry those radios, sliderules and ship clocks....) so I listen to him about his hobbies, and he listens to me rant and rave about sci-fi movies, sci-fi books...and Nightcrawler. He says that you can't help what you like. (He should know.)
My sister accepts without question because she's the only one that actually asked me why I liked Nightcrawler. When I told her, she was impressed with him.....not enough to go out and buy an actual comic....but enough that she politely listens to me when I talk about him.
My mother, however, saw one of the little evo action figures I had (for display...I want to make that clear)....and now thinks I'm a devil worshiper. (However, she also thinks that if you take a letter inside the post office instead of dropping it in the mailbox outside the post office, it'll somehow get to its destination faster...even after the mail has gone out for the day. So my Dad and I roll our eyes at her a lot.......)

There's sure a lot of eye rolling in our family. I guess that means our eyes get lots of exercise. :rolleyes
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Eye rolling is a yoga exercise.

So you're a devil worshipper, huh Jeremus?

:D
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

going off topic (hey, it's my nature)

Post by Elfdame »

Jeremus wrote:My mother ... thinks that if you take a letter inside the post office instead of dropping it in the mailbox outside the post office, it'll somehow get to its destination faster.
In point of fact, I did drop something in the outside box because I was in a hurry and didn't know when I'd have time to drop it off at my friend's house, less than 10 miles away. It took three and a half weeks to get there, arriving with no postage mark. I took another envelope inside the post office, and it arrived in another state after a couple days. I've had other problems, too, so from now on, I take the time to hand it to the human being I can actually see, rather than taking my chances. Not that it will get there *faster* (I'm with you on that one), but that it has a better chance of getting there, which in the end is faster.

Your dad sounds like a very interesting fellow. I keep trying to get my Dad to read a few of the best Nightcrawler comics -- even showed him the Excalibur cover that looked like an Edgar Rice Burroughs cover (he totally digs Burroughs), but no go. This from a guy who wore a Gollum t-shirt back in the late '70's (a gift from me).

As for mumsy dearest -- yeah, it'd be easy for her to get the wrong idea. Maybe if you'd thought quickly, you could've made up something about how it was a reference to an obscure Errol Flynn film based on a little-known Dumas volume. That would fool me.

Ya never know.

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

neling4 wrote:Eye rolling is a yoga exercise.

So you're a devil worshipper, huh Jeremus?
:D
If Marvel goes ahead with this 'Kurt-is-a-demon" thing.....I guess I'll have no choice.::
On second thought.....Marvel can't make me go that low. I'm with Nightcrawler---I reject the devil, and if Marvel goes ahead and makes the object of my hero-worship into a demon---I'll reject that too....(not the character, of course.....just the 'demon thing').

(Oh, and you're right about the eye-yoga.....my eyes can benchpress 250. ;))

To Elfdame:
Yeah....I have to confess, I have heard about some kind of vortex that exists around the post office.....so my Mom may not be entirely wrong.....(but don't tell her that!)

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Aaahh, the Evo-Kurt figure. Yeah, back when Evo was on I had my NightKiddo figure hanging from the rear view mirror in my car. He was nicely acrobatically posed with some Mardi Gras beads.

Once in the drive-thru at McDonald's I had the teenager inside start to hand me my order, pause, blink, then about fall out the window pointing and yelling "Nightcrawler! Cool!" :LOL

I also once wound up in a in-depth converation at the liquor store with a clerk who recognized Kurt on my Nightscrawlers hoodie. The really funny thing was it took me a moment to realize he was staring at my chest because of the graphic, not because I have boobies.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Slarti wrote: took me a moment to realize he was staring at my chest because of the graphic, not because I have boobies.
I would totally never have that problem. *sigh*

But I do have people cast puzzled looks at me sometimes b/c I wear a kiddie-sized Spidey ballcap. My girlfriend bought one for her first-grader son and one for me, the babysitter. Because I am very traditional and cover my head at Mass, ol' Spidey makes it to church once in a while, too, and sometimes I wonder if it distracts the nunnies -- but I doubt it.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I like to stare at the chest.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

wait, there's a nightscrawlers hoodie?
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
NinjaMisha
Lubber
Lubber

Post by NinjaMisha »

Bamfing_Bob wrote:wait, there's a nightscrawlers hoodie?
Ditto that...I want a Crawler hoodie...STAT!
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Please, would you be so kind as to post a picture of said Nightscrawlers hoodie with such awesome graphics as to make a man ignore all other.....uh...."distractions"?
Vaiyala
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Vaiyala »

Yeah, I wanna see it too. :D

Witchbrew
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Witchbrew »

Most folks know I'm a comics/cartoons fan but don't really know I'm an Nightcrawler fan. I have toys at the office and at home. If people looked around the office, they'd notice more NC stuff than anyone else. I downplay the office toys with the old "I keep stuff in my office for the boys to play with" ploy. It helps to have young kids for that one. Most of the people are pretty cool about it.

The family knows. They think I'm weird (as in "Mom, you're weird.") so it really doesn't matter to them. I'm still hoping they come out with a Mighty Muggs NC and release a new MiniMates NC. You never know.

I too would like to see the Nightscrawlers hoodie. Sounds intriguing.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." E.A. Poe