Just wondering

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
plick
Lubber
Lubber

Just wondering

Post by plick »

Okay I'll admit I've been playing EQ rather than read all the back posts so this may be something y'all already discussed but I'm just wondering...

am I the only person I know that is slightly aggitated that they carved a bunch of crap all over Kurt's fuzzy face for the movie?
/ooc Paying good for KEI and Virtue
TheSpike
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Just wondering

Post by TheSpike »

Oh yeah didn't like it either...

I mean, how could he tatoo thos perfect markings on his back, or other hard places to tattoo:naughty

Besides Tatoos=No fuzz

And No Fuzz= :shakeno
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power, Green Lantern's light! "
--Green Lantern's Oath

Inferno (on TV): "BUUUURRRRRRRRN!"
Butt-head: "Hey, Beavis, he said 'burn'."
Beavis: "Yeah! Yeah! 'Burn' is cool! Fire, fire, fire!"
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Just wondering

Post by kurtlover »

He's not fuzzy in the movie..and i like his tattoos :D they make him even more interesting than he is.
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Just wondering

Post by BamfChyck »

I missed his fuzz. I have spent years imagining his fuzz, and it's a staple of who he is for me.
But movie Nightcrawler wasn't my Kurt for a lot of reasons, so when I'm able to think of him as an alternative instead of THE nightcrawler, his tattoos are okay.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Just wondering

Post by taekwondodo »

I don't like the lack of fur, but I can see how it was just untenable make-up wise. Really hated the scars though. Don't like how they look and hate the idea of the Elf carving them on himself. Just can't picture the Kurt I love being into self-mutilation for any reason. Tattoss would have been bad enough, but those puppies are raised welts, as in carved into the flesh. No like.
Waiting on instalments in a couple of very promising looking fics which purport to give reasons for their existence. I'm very interested to see if the author's can reconcile them realistically w/the kind of personality you expect from Kurt.
I'm with BamfChyck, I've got to think of him as an alternate (a *very* alternate, alternate), not 'the real thing.' Even when reading X2 fics I still tend to envision him fuzzy and gloss over most mentions/descriptions of the scars.

TKD
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Just wondering

Post by Maelstrom »

I still think the main reason they did the ritual scarification thing was because his short, velvety fuzz would be impossible to pull off on-screen. However, they still wanted some sort of interesting texture, to keep him from just being a guy with blue skin, so they went with the scars. It isn't really 100% canon 'Crawler, but his personality is a little different, too, so I think TKD and BamfChyck have the right ideas: keep comic and movie 'Crawler's separate.

I find the idea of the scars interesting, adding texture to his personality in more ways than one. They give an added bit of depth. After all, what he did is hardly part of the Roman Catholic belief set. It surely had something to do with his Romani upbringing. But are the scars, "one for each sin", something he has done as penance, out of sheer guilt? Or are they supposed to be protective symbols, to keep him from repeating the same sin, which would very much mesh with some of the Roma beliefs?

You can have a lot of fun with this one.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Just wondering

Post by Siona »

Agreeing with Maelstrom, fuzzy on Kurt (and Alan, for that matter! :LOL) would look odd on screen. LIke he'd forgotten to shave or something.

Also, I think that the tattoos were Alan's idea; I read something somewhere about someone coming up with it and Alan agreeing with it, not knowing how long the process would take and very little about the elf himself.

Ah, the Roma theory rears its head again! :evil Also, many Roma ARE Catholic or Christain, mixed in with their own belief system, so I can believe this very well.

And think about it: Movies are trying damned hard to be connected to the comics, but not so closely that fans are going "YAWN! Nothing new there!" So the no fur, icky yellow fingernails, and, yes, the tattoos contribute to surprising even the X-fans that have been with the series longer.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
NightFlight
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Just wondering

Post by NightFlight »

I wasn't very familiar with Nightcrawler previous to the movie, so I went in with no expectations of how Kurt was supposed to be. I've since gone through a bit of a crash course in Nightcrawler 101 :) I have to say, I prefer the look of Moviecrawler to ComicKurt, although I would like to see his personality develop more along the lines of the comic.

As someone who has a bit of familiarity with the subject of body mod, I have a different attitude to the scarification. Some see it as mutilation, but then again some regard tattooing and piercing as mutilation too. It's a way to personalize your body, bring it more into line with what you feel inside. We are not really our bodies, we just live in them. In movie Kurt's case, his body is the one thing in his life he has any control over, and no one is going to tell him, "You can't do that, you'll ruin your looks!" Coming from a circus background in which heavily tattooed people have long been a staple, his scars would only make him that much more interesting.

In many African cultures, scarification is done as part of a coming of age ceremony, to mark the entrance into adulthood. I wonder if Kurt started working on himself back in his teen years. I also guess he started somewhere like his torso or legs, saving his face for last as his expertise improved.

BTW I'm considering getting a Nightcrawler tat, if I can just find the right one.:D
And though they tell you I am lost
and their words report my death is come
the fates have left me breathing still
very much alive
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Just wondering

Post by Beboots »

Well, don't kill me, but... I quite liked the scars... I thought they looked pretty interesting... :X

I've read fics with some pretty good explainations about them... One of them was that they're not pennance, persay (as in, he carved the symbols into his flesh to feel the pain, for punnishment, because, well, I believe that there's a mental disease where people mutilate themselves for pleasure?) but remembrance, so he wouldn't repeat his mistakes. I quite liked that one....made sense....
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Just wondering

Post by Siona »

Originally posted by Beboots
Well, don't kill me, but... I quite liked the scars... I thought they looked pretty interesting... :X
Naw, you ain't the only one; they didn't look exactly drop-dead-handsome like they do on some other people, but they made him more interestin'.

Also, where would the Kuroro fans be without...

"What...are they...?"

"Angelic symbols..."

:LOL

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Just wondering

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Originally posted by Taekwondodo
don't like the lack of fur, but I can see how it was just untenable make-up wise. Really hated the scars though. Don't like how they look and hate the idea of the Elf carving them on himself. Just can't picture the Kurt I love being into self-mutilation for any reason.
It just isn't in Kurt's character to do that to himself. He would have a rather disturbing character to me if he could. I do understand why they might have done it. To give him fur, they would have had to use a CGed character like Jarjar Binks and then we wouldn't have been treated to Alan's wonderful eyes. They can lose the teeth however, and I really don't understand why they had to mess with those. :D
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Just wondering

Post by Siona »

They made him intimidating and more demonic-looking, I guess. I like them.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Just wondering

Post by kurtlover »

The tattoos weren't Alan's idea but Singer's idea, he thought he might look cool with those..on the make up tests he decided to try both styles: a guy with blue make up and another one with blue make up and the tattoos.. he thought the second option looked cooler than just being a blue guy ;)
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Just wondering

Post by Beboots »

...It all makes sense now!

You know, the Movie was actually how I was first hooked on X-men, and Kurt in particular... For some reason, I believe I first loved his tail... The litteral one... (you know, blue, spaded tip...) It's the only thing that never really changes, no matter what version of Kurt it is...

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Just wondering

Post by taekwondodo »

Originally posted by Shadow_Dancer
They can lose the teeth however, and I really don't understand why they had to mess with those. :D
I'm w/you. You lose his famous smile w/those nasty things. Makes him not just look more intimidating, but like he has dental hygeine issues. A set of really nice, long incisors would've been good.

TKD
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Just wondering

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by taekwondodo
Originally posted by Shadow_Dancer
They can lose the teeth however, and I really don't understand why they had to mess with those. :D
I'm w/you. You lose his famous smile w/those nasty things. Makes him not just look more intimidating, but like he has dental hygeine issues. A set of really nice, long incisors would've been good.

TKD
I, also, am unsure as to why they went with shark-like teeth, as opposed to elongated canines. Perhaps they wanted something really, really different from everything out there. I know it made some of Alan's lines a bit difficult. He tried to make sure he didn't have many "s" sounds, because those teeth gave him a bit of a lisp. Of course, fangs give one a bit of a lisp, too. (I know: I have a cool pair of teeth caps I got done for me :D .)

However, I wouldn't say that MovieKurt has "dental hygene issues". After all; those teeth, as oversized as they might seem, were as dazzling and pearly white as you could get.

Bet he'd scare the shit out of dentists, tho... :LOL
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Just wondering

Post by Beboots »

Originally posted by Maelstrom 'Bet he'd scare the shit out of dentists, tho... :LOL
Ach, I remember Kurt saying in 'Talons',

"I was known as Herr 'Your-Teeth-Are-Fine-Get-Out-of-My-Office.'"

...Oh, wait, you wrote that, didn't you, Maelstrom? :blush

...I really love all your fics! :D ...'specially 'Talons' 'n what happened after and before. :D

taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Just wondering

Post by taekwondodo »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
However, I wouldn't say that MovieKurt has "dental hygene issues". After all; those teeth, as oversized as they might seem, were as dazzling and pearly white as you could get.

Bet he'd scare the shit out of dentists, tho... :LOL

I don't know, maybe it's just the quality of the scans, but I've seen a few pictures on the net where they look almost as yellowed as his horny old finger and toenails - something else I didn't really care for.

TKD
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Just wondering

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by Beboots
Originally posted by Maelstrom 'Bet he'd scare the shit out of dentists, tho... :LOL
Ach, I remember Kurt saying in 'Talons',

"I was known as Herr 'Your-Teeth-Are-Fine-Get-Out-of-My-Office.'"

...Oh, wait, you wrote that, didn't you, Maelstrom? :blush

...I really love all your fics! :D ...'specially 'Talons' 'n what happened after and before. :D
:blush Thank you, Beboots. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Personally, I'd have to figure the poor guy would give dentists such fits once they realize that his teeth aren't filed or capped. I'm just going to assume, for the sake of the argument, that he never had to worry about stuff like wisdom teeth removal...

Oh, and in case you're interested, I've got another piece being posted on Thunder and Brimstone in the next couple of days. It's called Mentors, and it's a pretty brutal drama piece. Deals with a nasty divorce and ensuing custody battle, and the institute, especially Kurt, winds up caught in the middle....
Originally posted by taekwondodo
I don't know, maybe it's just the quality of the scans, but I've seen a few pictures on the net where they look almost as yellowed as his horny old finger and toenails - something else I didn't really care for.

TKD
Yellow teeth?? :urg No way. Those are bad scans. In the Art of X2 book I have, as well as the other (good) scans, and in the movie (which I've seen too many times in the theatres, I'm afraid :oops ), his teeth are so clean and white you could read by them. Only the nails are yellow, and since they're uniformly yellow, I would have to assume it isn't a fungus infection: they're just naturally that way. Probably for filming reasons: nails the same color as his skin wouldn't photograph right, so they made them yellow to stand out.
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Just wondering

Post by Beboots »

Originally posted by Maelstrom

Oh, and in case you're interested, I've got another piece being posted on Thunder and Brimstone in the next couple of days. It's called Mentors, and it's a pretty brutal drama piece. Deals with a nasty divorce and ensuing custody battle, and the institute, especially Kurt, winds up caught in the middle....
Oh, I just read it... Man, now I have a new favorite Movie-verse fic. :D I loved it! ...'Specially the bit were Kurt breaks off a bit of his bed with his tail, when protecting Regis from a verbal assault... Very intimidating. :evil ....Are you going to do another sequel to it? Please? Please?!:bamf

Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Just wondering

Post by Siona »

WHOO-HOO, new Maelstrom fic! *runs off to T&B to investigate*

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Just wondering

Post by Beboots »

*pokes everyone* Go and read it! It's so good! ... If Maelstrom's whole series wasn't fanfiction, I would swear it was novel material. :D

crow
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Just wondering

Post by crow »

I missed the fuzz. I wish that he sould have been his normal fuzzy self........but I also didn't mind the tattoos....So I gusee I don't really have an openion.
~CROW~
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Just wondering

Post by NightPoofer »

I dunno, I think it helps to make him a bit more unique like his mommy not having any clothes. But fur still is unique! I think they just didn't want to make some CG looking crap supposed to pass as fur.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Just wondering

Post by Siona »

Ah!! Nightpoofer, your Sanosuke avatar is too precious! :love :love :love

~Siona

-- SheCat.