Uprising, originally aired 9/27/03 **SPOILERS**

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

Please use spoiler tags for those Scrawlers who don't want the episode to be ruined until they have a chance to see it in their country. I can't summarize for Yann Solo the entire episode since I missed parts (breakfast and caffeine were so much more important).

This episode was written by Bob Forward.

[spoiler]I REALLY like Spike's character development, though I'd like an explaination for the flaming-ness as much as Logan would. I'm guessing it's the Power-8 whatever. Is the owner of that going to show up? He didn't.

AH! It's LEECH!!!!! That sickly kid is Leech. I like how they had Spike confronting people's prejudices (he did mention hate-crime) and how he saved Mrs. Leech and Leech. Though, do you think she was saying that the mob were monsters or Spike/mutants were?

Who was it who said Magma and Bezerker might get together? It looks more like Magma and Cannonball (though I must say I got back to the TV when they were trapped against a wall).[/spoiler]
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

Whoa! [spoiler] I liked it! It was a real all encompassing episode with everything that's been going on in the show up to this point. Really setting up for a Poccy fight it looks like and basically it was just all around good. But oh man, Spike! He’s become one powerful mutant! Flaming bone spikes? You got me as to how that works but it looks cool so I’ll go with it I guess. I’ll bet he could take on just about anybody with a strong physical type mutation now. I kinda miss old fun-loving-Kurt’s-best-friend type Evan, but everyone has changed quite a bit since he left the team and he was bound to change also. It’s rather funny to see him being so protective of the other Morlocks though, cute kinda but funny.

One question though, was the kid that suppressed everyone’s powers based on anybody from the comics? His mutation really comes in handy though. All they have to do now is take that kid down to Mexico and they could have the thing with Poccy done in like five minuets flat! The writing for the show was really good this episode too, especially Logan’s lines. He’s really getting to be a more focal character in season 4 it seems. It's like he's become the unofficial "father figure" of the show instead of Xavier for once, and surprisingly enough it's working for him! The Xavier / Storm talk was touching without going into the chessy range and all in all it was a very well written ep. Only down side to the show, no Kurt of course. But I guess we can't have all Kurt all the time. (looks around at where she is) Scrach that, I guess we can. :P
[/spoiler]
Things are really starting to heat up. Can’t wait for next week’s episode now. REALLY want to see how they're going to handle Rogue. Cajun Spice baby! Bring it on!

Edit: [spoiler] LEECH! [/spoiler] Ah, that's right! Kudos sevati. :) And remember that other thread is just "rumors". Looks like some of those rumors are going to turn out to be fact and some are going to end up being pure fiction. :smirk It was wrong about the Power8 guy but right about Evan being completly different and [spoiler] covered in armor. Plus he didn't die either, which I'm glad about. By the end of the ep I was really starting to like the "new" Evan. Wouldn't mind seeing him and the Morlocks more often in the future in fact. And BTW was it just me or did anyone else think that all the store owner had to say was "no shirt, no service" and he could have avoided the big raceist fight that trashed a large part of his store?[/spoiler]
###Dracadancer's Lair### ---> Your all purpose website

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
This year’s winner of the Foot in the Mouth award Donald Rumsfeld
Nightchamber
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightchamber »

THIS WAS GOOOOD! Um, I really have no other comments that havent already been said. And yes [spoiler] that kid was Leech, though for some odd reason here hes named Dorian, & its his mom who has his name as her last name. Anyway, it was cool how when Leech nulled everyones powers, Scott was able to take off his visor...we got to see his normal eyes! it was...wierd.[/spoiler]
...I am the ELLIPSES Queen...

:chamber POPTOPIA FAN :stacy
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

i really liked this ep[spoiler]i like what they did with Spyke- it looked like he did some growing up-he doesnt seem that iresponble like he was in earilier seasons-like he has something to protect & fight for[/spoiler]
[spoiler]the little green skin kid was Leech-i didnt know who he was until he used his powers to block mutant powers (i was sure when i saw Cyclops)- but the ending left no doubt- i like Evo Leech- i remember TAS Leech he looked like a lizard- i got angry when those people attacked him & his mom-they should feel REAL PROUD of themselves for attacking a small kid[/spoiler]
[spoiler]we got to see what a "winner" Duncan Matthews was (what a jerk-he looked nuts) glad they got arrested - i never understood why normal humans would want to attack a mutant-they have powers & could really hurt you [/spoiler]
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

[spoiler]Ok. No Kurt, so that was a bummer, but you win some, you lose some. (Hopefully, next week will make up for that.

Anywho, EVAN ROCKS!!!!! He grew up big time! The flaming spikes was a nice touch. He's matured so much. When I was watching it, I kept thinking "Is this really Evan? The same Evan that complained about being a 'city kid'?" It's hard to think of him as that skate-boarding kid. He's now a powerful ass-kicking man. Like I said, he grew up big time.

As for releasing Trask: WHATTHEFLUFFWERETHEYTHINKING?!?!?!? They honestly think that was a good idea. They don't need Trask. Like Dracadancer said, they could use Leech!

Speaking of which Leech was a clever touch to the story. He showed that mutant children have an innocence, just like every other child (cept me).

I'm soooo happy Duncan got arrested. It's about frikin time! They should put Duncan and Trask in the same prison. That way, Duncan can be Trask's bitch. heehee

By the way, where the hell did Duncan and his band of douchebags get those guns from?[/spoiler]
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
- Alan Cumming (Interview with Wizard Magazine)
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

[spoiler]LEEEEEECH! How cool was he? But I have two questions concerning the pipsqeak cutie:

1. So PALE. Wasn't he originally green? Also, it made me wonder if his mum and Caliban had been aquainted...:naughty

2. I heard that his power was to cancel out mutant powers...never heard anything about stuff like electricity and stuff. :?

I'm no Spike fan, but I LOVED this episode! We finally saw Poccy doing something, got a new sig. from Hank, and my all-time favorite team outside of the Exiles was featured! :die

Before I go, did anyone notice a difference in Spike's voice?[/spoiler]

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Yann Solo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Yann Solo »

Originally posted by sevati
I can't summarize for Yann Solo the entire episode since I missed parts
I'm still glad to see that you remembered me :D

So, does anyone else can briefly explain what happens? (I had an idea reading your posts, but I really miss the chronological order of the events...)
"Faut pas prendre les gens pour des cons, mais faut pas perdre de vue qu'ils le sont." :gambit
"You mustn't tell people they're stupid, but never forget they are." :D
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

Originally posted by Siona
[spoiler]Before I go, did anyone notice a difference in Spike's voice?[/spoiler]

~Siona
[spoiler]yeah, i noticed it too. Spike (as well as the actor who plays him) have probably grown a great deal since we last saw Spike. He's had plenty of time for his voice to get deeper.[/spoiler]
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

WOW! I loved that episode! Especially because of [spoiler]Leech. I love that guy! Probably because he used to be green. I love green! And his outift in the comics! he looked cool back then! And his powers! I wonder if they'll extend that character a bit more... and I did notice that Spyke's voice was bit different. I wonder what happened to him.[/spoiler]
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

Ok, I know this next question is a tad bit :offtopic but if someone could answer this question, I'd be most grateful:

What are the names of the Morlocks and what are their powers?

the answer will come in handy for any future episodes with the Morlocks
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

The ones in the comics were:

Leaders: Callisto, Storm, Masque, and Mikhail

Members: Leech (so cool!), Plague (oh taken in by :poccy later), Caliban, Feral, Thornn, Sunder, Skids, and Sarah.

But I don't know if those are the ones in EVO
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

thanks!

ok, the morlocks are mutants who look different. Callisto don't look that abnormal to me.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

A good episode message and plot-wise.

[spoiler] The "flaming bone" bit from Spyke was unusual, to say the least, but they did a good job making him "harder and colder", and yet still keeping him 16 with his inability to see the repurcussions of his actions. It was just strange to see Callisto (!) being the one to try and tone him down, tho. The Callisto I know, from the comic verse, would be happy to kill any flatscan she found doing anti-mutant mischeif. I know they had to tone it down for a cartoon. It just feels odd, that's all.

I very much like seeing the mess in China. Oh, yeah: who couldn't see THAT coming? The communist gov't would have surely reacted in that way. The only thing that seemed slightly unbelievable in that entire news broadcast was the fact that there was a broadcast at all. The Chinese are notorious for sweeping things under the rug. I guess, in an age of Tiennamen Square and Falum Gong protests, it's getting harder and harder for them to step on important news stories....

Trask getting freed? Hell, I was waiting for that, too. You can tell Nick didn't want to do that, but he's a soldier, and he dutifully follows his orders. We all know that this is a deal with the devil, but we also know that Poccy is a "clear and present danger", and the US gov't is gonna do everything in their power to try and arrest it (literally and figuratively). Since Trask had the ability to make something that big, nasty, and effective as a weapon, it makes sense they'd try to use it for themselves. With a leash, of course.... :naughty (yeah, like he won't chew through that leash at the first opportunity....)

In fact, the only problem I had with this episode, really, was of a technical nature. Did anyone besides me think that the animation had slipped? It seemed jerkier, more static. Nothing moved with the same grace, and the faces didn't show the emotions as well.

Questions I had, which will likely be resolved in future episodes:

1) Yessss... where did Duncan and his homies get those high-tech, military grade guns and explosives, hmmmm? :smirk Could someone have... supplied them? The way they were introduced, I'm pretty sure that Duncan is going to be seen talking to a secret "benefactor" in the future. This may be the infancy of F.O.H.

2) Leech was intriguing. At first, I thought it was a youthful Caliban. (I forgot he'd been introduced in previous episode.) He's been changed a lot from the original, who was a butt-ugly, green kid with an elongated head, who had to either touch you or be in close proximity to cancel your powers, and that ability was always on. He was a living "dampening field" generator, but had no range past the first ten or so feet. Also, he had no ability to affect non-organic life, so the "power wave" was a new one on us. Can anyone besides me see him joining and becoming Rogue's very favorite kid in the school? After all, he doesn't look much younger than Jamie.[/spoiler]
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
LoneWolf21
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LoneWolf21 »

Originally posted by Maelstrom[spoiler] 1) Yessss... where did Duncan and his homies get those high-tech, military grade guns and explosives, hmmmm? :smirk Could someone have... supplied them? The way they were introduced, I'm pretty sure that Duncan is going to be seen talking to a secret "benefactor" in the future. This may be the infancy of F.O.H.[/spoiler]
Actually, we saw Duncan in the opening pre-theme segment, [spoiler] he was the guy getting interviewed in the mine. In fact, you can see the electric stuff in that sgement, sopresmaly,that's where he got th bombs and appers, he swiped them from is work.[/spoiler]
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

I thought the miner being interviewed was some other anonymous former class-mate, especially after we saw Duncan being interviewed later wearing his letterman's jacket and ranting about taking care of the mutants.

I pretty much agree with Maelstrom about the rest of it. It was a really well done episode but the animation was a bit iffy, especially compared to how much better I thought the previous eps from this season had been. I'm a little surprised that Kurt didn't show up in this one because he and Evan always seemed to be particularly close.

One thing though. What was with Sam and Amara and the school work. Jean and Scott graduated what, 2 or 3 episodes ago? How fast are they moving the time line along? Is it the next school year already or are they paying no attention to their own continuity?
I've always had trouble figuring out just how much time has supposedly passed. It has seemed like all 4 seasons are supposed to have taken place during the course of one school year but they seem to jump around from fall to spring to winter to...whatever without much regard to what should actually be happening season-wise. I'm so confused. Maybe it's just me though.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Since this thread's been declared *SPOILERS*, I'm not gonna use spoiler HTML.

I have to wonder that now that we have Leech, are we gonna see Artie? If so, will he be pink or that kinda cement-grey like Leech? :ugh

~Siona

-- SheCat.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by taekwondodo
One thing though. What was with Sam and Amara and the school work. Jean and Scott graduated what, 2 or 3 episodes ago? How fast are they moving the time line along? Is it the next school year already or are they paying no attention to their own continuity?

Maybe it was work Xavier gave them? They are suposed to be going to a school-prep or mutant-and it would make sense for him (and other teachers) to give them work outside normal school work. Or maybe I'm just covering plot holes...
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Before I forget, did anyone else realise that this is like the first episode that there was no Kurt?!?! :faint

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Originally posted by taekwondodo

I've always had trouble figuring out just how much time has supposedly passed. It has seemed like all 4 seasons are supposed to have taken place during the course of one school year but they seem to jump around from fall to spring to winter to...whatever without much regard to what should actually be happening season-wise. I'm so confused. Maybe it's just me though.
Well, when I graduated from High School, it was about two weeks before the underclassmen got out of school.......
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by Siona
Before I forget, did anyone else realise that this is like the first episode that there was no Kurt?!?! :faint

~Siona
Well, no, the episode two back (the one with X23, Logan, and Hydra) didn't have him, either....
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Wow...that's odd...I have a feeling that he's gonna have another Kurt-centered episode (most likely about Mystique) and such, no?

~Siona

-- SheCat.
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

seriously wouldnt doubt it. Rumor has it that they might show him confronting Rogue about the whole Mystique thing in the episode "cajun spice".
i'm curious if they're gonna have an apisode where he goes in public without his inducer for a while.

anywho, back the the topic.
i've come to a conclusion: anyone (such as duncan) who tries to mess with mutants has a serious problem. they could kill him even if they are ten feet away from him. how crazy are they!

oh yeah, and when i watched it again, i saw the duncan was going to actually try to shoot Leech!!!! LEECH DID NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF IS DUNCAN'S PROBLEM?!??!?!?! *hyperventilates*

ok i'm good.
i said something earlier about duncan and trask being put in the same prison and Duncan could be Trask's bitch (heehee). What the hell. let's throw Mr. Kelly in there while we're at it.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Now that you mention Saint Kelly, I wonder where he is? Probably pointing at the domes and screaming in a Mr. Crocker (Fairly Odd Parents...:smirk) fashion: "SEE! I WAS RIIIIIIIGHT!"

~Siona

-- SheCat.