Cajun Spice, aired 10/04/2003 **SPOILERS**

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Yann Solo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Yann Solo »

I create this topic now so you'll be able to reply during the show :)

This episode was written by Michael Merton and Greg Johnson
"Faut pas prendre les gens pour des cons, mais faut pas perdre de vue qu'ils le sont." :gambit
"You mustn't tell people they're stupid, but never forget they are." :D
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

OMG THAT WAS SO FRIKIN AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!
I WAS SO HAPPY I WANTED TO CRY!!!!!!!!!

[spoiler]ROGUE AND GAMBIT! TOO SWEET!!!!! NIGHTCRAWLER FORGIVING ROGUE!!! EVEN SWEETER!!!!!!!!!!

we get to see gambit's kick ass action! for being rogue's first episode in a while, this was a GREAT return!!!!!! i'm glad they finally got to confrontation b/t rogue and kurt.

New Orleans was awesome! It was so cool to see it animated. I gotta admit, the cajun accents werent as bad as i expected. and when they showed that guy in the nurse costume, i immediately thought "They must be on Bourbon Street" Lol.

one thing i didnt get though was that Mardi Gras takes place in febuary or march. The x-kids just started school!
they have a confusing time period.

the Pyro bit was hilarious!!!! i laughed so hard i woke my sister up.

and when that guy commented on Nightcrawler's "costume" that was great!

NIGHTCRAWLER! COME DOWN HERE! YOU CAN BE IN PUBLIC WITHOUT YOUR INDUCER!!!!

i do wish Gambit would've gone back with the X-men, though. He and Rogue were just starting to get nice and fluffy![/spoiler]
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
- Alan Cumming (Interview with Wizard Magazine)
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

....24 minutes, 99% of which were all Gambit-y goodness...

Tatu is teh happy bunny! :toothy

'nuff said... :gambit

*sits back and awaits for Sevati, his Equally Crazed Gambit buddy, to come post too*
Call me King!
Nightchamber
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightchamber »

I liked it...buuuut,
[spoiler]is it me or is Kurt just way too passive? I was expecting a real angstfest between him & Rouge, but he seemed to forgive & forget way too easily...

oh well, anyway, Gambit , I meam wow, the guy is just hot! I love that one bit where they had his eyes glowing red...cooool!

And the Pyro INSANITY! That was the highlite for me I think...that was priceless!

But it looks like we wont be seeing any more of Colossus. :( [/spoiler]
...I am the ELLIPSES Queen...

:chamber POPTOPIA FAN :stacy
Yann Solo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Yann Solo »

I'm now waiting for sevati to summerize it :D
I hope I'll see it soon!
"Faut pas prendre les gens pour des cons, mais faut pas perdre de vue qu'ils le sont." :gambit
"You mustn't tell people they're stupid, but never forget they are." :D
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

This thread is marked spoilers, but I think I'll use spoiler marks anyway.

[spoiler]Gambit...could it get any better? That, and we FIIIIINALLY saw some Kurt and Rogue action, even it if was only for around five seconds.

The animation, especially with Gambit's powers, was beautiful; the only thing I didn't really like about it was the fireflies. Didn't fit well.

And am I the only one who was sitting on the edge of their seat at the end screaming, "KISS ALREADY!!"? :LOL[/spoiler]

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

We missed it! So sad. My kidlets are waaaay ticked, but we had kick-boxing and basketball all morning. Eagerly awaiting someone's summary. Hope we didn't miss too much Kurt, it's hard to tell how much he showed up this ep from what everyone's said so far. The idea of him walking the streets during Mardi Gras sounds great though!
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

I thought it was very well written especially [spoiler]the Nighty Rogue thing. I wonder what happened to Mystique though... Did Kurt just leave her crushed body there or not. Time will tell[/spoiler]
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

I hate my neighbors.. I went out today so I set the vcr to tape in and the neighbors were ahving trees cut down apparent'y to took down the lines like right after it started taping.. I am so pissed at my neighbors
blauliebeself
Lubber
Lubber

Post by blauliebeself »

WOW!! The Rouge/Gambit thing was practically off the charts! And I totally loved the loving bro/sis action b/w NC and Rouge. Overall, great show! Makes me wonder what exactly i've missed these past two weekends. Now I'm really wondering if they're going to bring up the Bella Donna thing, since they brought up the thieves guild.... Points to ponder.
" Love makes you want to stab people? That's not love! That's brain damage!" -Kurt, of course
:poke
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

I enjoyed it, except....

[spoiler]I totally agree with Nightchamber that Kurt was WAY too forgiving of Rogue. The start of the ep was really promising for some delving into the whole Kurt/Rogue/Mystique relationship (I especially liked Kurt’s line “There’s only one reason to push someone off a cliff, Rogue” :(), but it never really came to a head and that was disappointing. To go from “you killed our mother” to “the thought of losing you makes me totally forgive you” kinda seems too unbelievable, even if Kurt is the forgiving type. Granted it was nice to see that at least Rogue feels haunted by what she did to Mystique, as well she should!, but to think helping to save Gambit’s father clears her of all wrong doing feels like a copout to me. Plus we still have NO idea where Mystique is?! What? Did they even bother to pickup the pieces on the beach? It's looking more and more likly that it's going to be one of those "she lives in you....(mystical music)" type of things, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Overall though I really liked the episode, it was kinda hard for any Gambit fan not too. :D There was as lot of good action, everyone was running around using their powers a LOT which is always a plus (*Man do I ever wish I was Jamie! To be able to study three different things at once....Can you say multi-tasking?!*), Rogue had some great dialog, we got to see EVO Storm really kickin’ ass for once (why is it she’s always around when they have to fight the weaker villains? :P), we got to find out what happened to Magneto’s gang FINALLY (Pyro was too too funny! The way he kept watching Magneto’s death over and over. :LOL He should join the Brotherhood, he would fit right in), the animators really seemed to outdo themselves this ep too getting to draw the swamps and some really nice detail on the New Orleans backgrounds, and the Gambit/Rogue stuff was indeed great. I would say that the only thing I really had a problem with was Rogue. She can’t forgive Mystique for using her but she forgives Gambit just like that (snaps fingers)? Kay, whatever you say Ms. My-Time-Of-The-Month. :rolleyes [/spoiler]
###Dracadancer's Lair### ---> Your all purpose website

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
This year’s winner of the Foot in the Mouth award Donald Rumsfeld
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

kurt did seem to forgive rogue rather easily. but a lot of time has passed (three weeks in our time. I dunno how much time has passed in the Evo-World). He's had time to cool down, a bit.
Also, maybe he learned that he really didn't need mystique around to feel better (personally, i think he also wanted to find out about his past). He must've realized something like "My mother's gone, but I still have my sister."

Also, in the episode "Impact," Kurt's very own words were "Anger and hate destroyed her. If you don't get rid of yours, it will destroy you too."
If he didn't forgive his own sister, he would be kind of a hypocrite.

Rogue is haunted by what she didto Mystique. She seemed genuinly sorry about it and she showed it.

She probably forgave Gambit really quick because
A.) She likes him.
B.) She didn't want to do the same thing to him or his father that she did to Mystique.
C.) She likes him.

So Kurt forgave Rogue, Rogue forgave Gambit, and Pyro is hilarious. OK, i think I'm done.
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

Here’s a really brief summary of the ep for those who missed it. Sorry but I don’t have time for a really detailed one at the moment, so forgive spelling errors and such. Some of it may not be in the exact right order since I don’t have the ep in front of me, this really is an exercise in memory recall for me, but it all happened at some point or another I promise.

[spoiler]The show starts off with Rogue having a dream about hands grabbing for her then she’s standing on a huge statue of guess who? That’s right Mystique! The statue starts to crack and Rogue suddenly comes out of the dream-scape and we she she’s actually standing on the SAME gazebo where she pushed Mystique off the cliff, now seems to be fully repaired btw, with Prof. X. The Prof. says something like Rogue needs to come to terms with what Mystique did to her (what Mystique did to HER?) But Rogue doesn’t want to think about it and runs off.

Later Rogue is looking at Bayville High from an alley when Kurt runs into her from behind. He’s cold to her at first and Rogue apologizes for pushing Mystique off the cliff. Rogue says she didn’t know why she did it and Kurt replies “There’s only one reason to push someone off a cliff, Rogue.” Kurt starts to go to school, which btw he’s still wearing him image inducer it seems, when he turns back to Rogue and asks her, rather sadly “Is it true you’re thinking of leaving?” She’s more or less says “maybe.” Kurt leaves and Rogue is getting ready to go when someone grabs her and pulls her into the back of the alley. That would be Gambit, and before Rogue can touch him he uses some kind of knockout gas on her that comes out of his quaterstaff.

Sometime later, all the kids are coming home from school and Kurt is teleporting around asking if anyone has seen the Prof. There’s some cute cameos of the new kids using their powers, Bobby makes an ice bridge into his room from outside, Jamie multiplies into three so he can read three books at once and Ray uses a spark from his finger to power up the low battery on his laptop. Kurt finds the Prof and a few others and tells them that Rogue didn’t come to school and hasn’t been seen since that morning.

At some unknown location on a moving train, Rogue wakes up to find herself hogtied and Gambit watching over her. Rogue basically tells Gambit to untie her, not so nicely, and asks why he’s doing this. Gambit says he’s been watching her for a few weeks and she hasn’t been happy so he’s getting her away from all that. He unties her by touching his finger and igniting her ropes. But as soon as Rogue's free she immediately attacks him, knocking him almost outside the open boxcar door. Gambit catches himself with his quaterstaff and starts to ignite the boxcar with kinetic energy. Gambit says if she doesn’t pull him in he’ll blow the boxcar up and Rogue says he’s probably crazy enough to do it, and helps him back in the boxcar. She asks where the train is going and Gambit tells her it’s going to New Orleans. Rogue gets sentimental about her former home state.

Logan’s out looking for Rogue. He finds her backpack in the alley across from the school that she dropped when Gambit grabbed her and sniffs it. He then says “Gambit.”

Gambit and Rogue are walking around New Orleans while Mardi Gras going on. They’re talking about stuff and Gambit says that he’s always working when he’s in this town. They pass a guy and Gambit shows Rogue the guy's wallet. Rogue grabs the wallet and runs back to guy and says he dropped it, giving it back to him. Gambit says he knows a great jazz club to get some jambalaya so they stop and go into the club.

Change scene to a big metal dome that is apparently one of Magneto’s old bases. Pyro is sitting at a control panel with a remote watching Magneto blowing up then rewinding it and watching it again while laughing his ass off. Logan comes in behind him and grabs him. He wants to know where the others are, particularly Gambit. Pyro attacks him with a giant fire dragon but Logan jumps behind him and cuts the cords from his fuel pack to his arms and the dragon dissolves. He slams Pyro against a wall and Pyro tells him he doesn’t know where the others are. He says Colossus bailed and went back to Russia, Sabertooth is out somewhere playing with a ball of yarn and Gambit didn’t leave a note on the fridge. Logan lets him go and stalks out. Pyro says he knows how to cheer himself up after that and starts watching Magneto’s video again.

Back in New Orleans, Rogue and Gambit are having a little dinner date. They’re talking about Gambit being a thief when a guy walks up with some others and confronts them. His name is Julian and he also has a quarterstaff. Well needless to say they all get in a bit of a brawl. Gambit’s blowing things up and Rogue helps him out by knocking out a few people, including Julian. They run out of the club and into the street.

Back at the institute, the Prof. has used Cerebo to locate Gambit and tells them that he knows where they are since both Gambit and Rogue have been using their powers. Logan makes the comment that if Rogue is using her powers then things can’t be good. There’s a couple of shots of the Blackbird taking off.

Rogue asks Gambit about being in the Thieves Guild and why he didn’t tell her his father had apparently been kidnaped by a rival family. Gambit says she had enough to worry about as it is and he would take care of it himself. He starts to walk away but stalls behind a corner to give time for Rogue to catch up with him. She catches up with him and tells him that she wants to help and knows where they’re keeping his father. He says great then notices Cyclops on the street and quickly hurries Rogue away. The other X-men are examining the scene of the club fight and someone walks by Kurt and says to him, “Great costumes!” and he replies “Thanks! Their one of a kind.” Logan’s sniffing around and notes that, "they had definitely been there.”

Later Gambit and Rogue are in a boat somewhere in the middle of a swamp. They’re talking about how similar they are in the fact that their adoptive parents both used them for their powers. Rogue says how she had the chance to help once and she didn’t so she’s going to this time. Rogue directs them to a large southern style mansion in the middle of the swamp.

On the top of the mansion a couple of guys, one of them Julian from the club, says they’ve got some company and Julian pulls out a rocket launcher and fires it at Gambit and Rogue’s boat, blowing it to pieces.

In another part of the swamp, the X-men are standing around in the swamp. Kurt teleports in with a package and says “I’ve got the raft from the Blackbird. We can take turns blowing it up.” Cyclops says, “Okay, I’ll go first.” and presses a button on the package that makes it blow up on top of Kurt.

At the dock of the mansion in the swamp, an inflatable raft that Gambit and Rogue had been pulling with their boat docks with them silently rowing it. They clime on to the dock and Rogue suddenly has a memory flash of something dangerous and tells Gambit to get down grabbing him and pulling him to the ground. They roll down a hill on top of one another in a very "whoops I fell over, whoops I fell over again" type of way and Rogue accidently touches Gambit. Gambit comes to finally and Rogue yells at him "How DARE you?!" and he replies with this goofy grin, "What happened?” He admits that he needed her to help find his father and she gets mad then turns and walks off into the fog, she’s getting good at that. Gambit goes on alone and enters the mansion. Inside the kitchen of the mansion he grabs a pop can and charges it. Two guards outside a door see the can rolling toward them and one stops it with his foot just before it explodes, knocking both the guards out. Gambit then blows the door and inside is a man tied to a chair. The man says something like “Remy, I can’t believe you came.” And Gambit replies with “Don’t think this changes anything between us Jean-Luc.” Gambit unties him and tells his father that they need to get out of there. Jean-Luc tells him to wait, they’re in the middle of the Reever’s compound, all Gambit would have to do is use his powers and they could wipe out their rivels. Gambit says, “Nothing really has changed.” and continues to say they need to get out of there. They start down the hall when they’re stopped by Julian, with rocket launcher and his father Martin. They make a comment about a father son get together and get ready to blast Gambit and J-L with the rocket launcher.

Ack! I’m running out of time so the quick quick finish.

As they’re about to be blown up Rogue enters behind Julian and his father and makes them pass out. Using their memories she tells Gambit and J-L to follow her and leads them to a room where guys with guns start firing on them. Outside the mansion a waterspout forms, provided by Storm, and it blows the door off the mansion. The guys with the guys are blown out the door so Rogue, Gambit and J-L can escape. With the X-men helping out, Kurt teleports to the roof and grabs a guy's gun, Logan trashes the dock with a couple guys on it, and Cyclops is somewhere in the swamp taking out people from a distance. They get on a boat and a big boat chase scene ensues, with the X-men in one boat and Gambit, Rogue, J-L in another and everybody being chased though the swamp, filled with land-mines in the water, by the Reeevers. Gambit stops the Reevers by charging their boat but Gambit’s boat gets blown up and Kurt ports in the water to rescue Rogue. Gambit and J-L make it out of the water but Logan grabs Gambit as soon as he's on dry land. Rogue tells him to leave Gambit alone, "It’s alright" she says. Logan lets him go and there’s a touching scene with Rogue and Gambit where he gives her the queen of hearts card, they disscus the meaning of this while they were on the train eariler, and she basically tells him that the X-men are her family. Gambit tells her she’ll always have someone looking out for her. Kurt puts his arm around Rogue and they are apparently all buddy buddy now. The end.[/spoiler]

Again, sorry for the quick ending. If someone wants to type a more detailed one I’d be much obliged. Hope this will do ya all for now though.

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
EileenK98
Lubber
Lubber

Post by EileenK98 »

Uh, one question . . . wasn't Rogue from Mississippi? :huh
"And when I reach the other side,
I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can.
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again.
Or I may simply be a single drop of rain,
But I'll be back again . . ."

RIP Johnny Cash
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

yeah. i think she was. Gambit said it was "her neck of the woods." I don't think she was from louisiana. She's probably visited a few times, but isn't from there.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

I am ignoring this thread until I get to see the episode, then I'll come back and edit my thoughts into this post. I slept in until 12:30pm today, missing evo by an hour. Bad bad sev :cry

Here's to hoping it gets reruns pronto! I've already been told by TATU just how cool it is.. but I was wondering. How badly did they mangle the Cajun accents? Thank you Yann for starting this (I try to if I'm online at the time), and I hope someone wrote Yann up a full description of the ep (still ignoring the thread!).
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightmare »

My hubby pointed out... "You know dear, they only give those necklaces to ladies who flash them..." so you think Rogue did?
Don't hate me because I scare you...
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

Well here's an even better question, they just started back at school for fall semester a few eps ago right? Well in this ep Rogue and Gambit were suppose to be in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, but Mardi Gras isn't until spring! Is the state of Louisiana in a time warp or something? :?

Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

Mardi Gras is in Feb( i think its a week or so before Lent(whenever lent is(to us Christians)- think about it, whats New Orleans(or Louisana) most famous for, what do you think of-mardi gras,Bourbon Str, jazz, cajun food, swamps- basically this ep showed all of those.
i liked this ep- the Remy/Rogue action was GREAT- the thing about Rogue-i remember reading the series bible & it said she liked cajun food & miss. is very close to la.
plus we see Kurt in it-i loved the great costume line :D
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

http://www.mardigrasday.com/mardigras/mgfaq.php
Mardi Gras Day is anywhere between the middle of Febuary to the middle of March, it kinda changes each year. It's set 46 days before Easter, I think (and you know how that changes every year as well). Mardi Gras Day 2004 is March 4th, and has two weeks of parades leading up to it. Mardi Gras itself always starts 12 days after Christmas (on Jan. 6th).

This does bring in the Time Warp question like someone brought up. I wonder if Dr. Frank 'N Furter will show up too. Think about it, outrageous makeup, fishnets and platform boots... he'd fit right in!
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

the days that i remember are Fat tue & ash wed (thats the last day)-then i think lent season sets in.but ok.
all i care about is that we get time off from school.
lets just go with the time warp theory-
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

I think it just put into the ep for

A) prettiness! *stares at the floats like an idiot*

B) Like Dark Rose Siren said, to show where they are; kinda like, if they're in Russa, you're GONNA see the fur coats and funny hats. If they're in Germany, you're GONNA hear somebody scream "DEMON!" ;)

C) Good cover-up for the X-Men to run around in their costumes.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Post by rockstar »

Mardi Gras is always on Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. But Carnival starts on January 6.

and to answer Nightmare's question. No, girls who don't flash get Mardi Gras beads. Once again, the damn Girls Gone Wild video gives us a bad rep. Yes, there are girls who do flash people to get beads, and they usually hang around Burbon Street. But everyone else gets them too. That what you do at a parade -- you catch beads... And you can do it without showing your chest to all of Downtown New Orleans.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Thank you to everyone who used the spoiler tags, good call. Let's continue doing that for new episodes.

As for me, I was in the kitchen making breakfast burritos for me and hubby and by the time I looked at the clock the show was almost over. I hollered "Oh &*$##$, I missed X-Men!" And hubby just rolled his eyes and asked for his burrito. I get no respect. :p
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

You know Slarti, that's the same exact reaction I got from my dog :cry

What rockstar said Re: beads. Traditionally, the most respected way to get beads is standing in the crowd doing your best to catch them from the passing floats. You can do this by standing up front, on someone else's shoulders, on a ladder, etc. You can, and its enouraged, to yell out the phrase "Hey Mista! Throw me sumthin'!" to get a passing krewe member's attention. It's my understanding the locals abso-frelling-lutely HATE all the flashers.. most of them are tourists. Flashing is illegal in ALL parts of New Orleans no matter what some drunked frat boy tries convinving you otherwise, and the cops will arrest you. Granted, they're stretched to the limit preventing looting and mass public drunkeness/mobs, but given the right circumstances, you flash and your ass is going to jail!