Jean's prayer...

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Jean's prayer...

Post by Siona »

Can anyone tell me what the last prayer Kurt said for Jean was in X2? If I don't get it, I can't finish my trilogy-fic...and then Beboots and rockstar will hang me by my pinkies and throw bananas at me! :X

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Jean's prayer...

Post by rockstar »

Psalm 23 aka Psalm of David

The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul; He leads me in the path of righteousness for His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me. *there's more, but i'm pretty sure he stops here* Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runns over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
- Alan Cumming (Interview with Wizard Magazine)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Jean's prayer...

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I love that one. That's the prayer at almost every funeral. Very very sad, heard it twice, sad stuff. First my great grandma then my cousin. It's a nice little prayer though. Leaves you thinking. DIdn't he say it in German, and someone asks...someone else what he's saying and that someone else says "the lord is my shpepherd I shall not want..." or is that another movie... I know i sound dumb being a nighty fan and a huge X2 fan but I saw it only twice so long ago and im so tired. *yawn* :yawn
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Jean's prayer...

Post by rockstar »

i recall him saying it in English. it was a little hard to understand most of it, but i clearly heard the beginning and where he finished.

it is a beautiful prayer. but it's not meant to be sad. it's kinda meant to be saying that God is protecting you and that he is always with you. You're safe no matter what.

I think that's why Kurt was saying it to Jean. He believes she'll be with God, and that she is eternally safe. I guess it's a blessing of the soul thing.
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
firecrawler
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Jean's prayer...

Post by firecrawler »

I think the exact prayer he said in the movie was just from the first line and then cut to the 4th line.

Like this:

The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
(then cut to here)
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me.

That's it. I've watched the movie hundreds of times so I remember. :D
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Jean's prayer...

Post by Siona »

WHOO! FIRECRAWLER, ROCKSTAR, I LOVE THEE! *:kisses and :sausages for firecrawler and rockstar!*

I will now go to work on GL,MK Part 3. :D

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Jean's prayer...

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

Has anyone read the book "I Am David"? They use the prayer in the book too. It's very beautiful. That's where I first heard that psalm.
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Jean's prayer...

Post by rockstar »

really? no, i cant say that i have.

BTW Siona, thanks for the :sausage

i can eat it and save the edge for my collection.
firecrawler
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Jean's prayer...

Post by firecrawler »

Yeah LOL Siona...Thanks for the :sausage too. :LOL ;)..and no. I haven't read "I am David" either. But it sounds interesting. :D
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Jean's prayer...

Post by rockstar »

what other prayers did he say in X2? dont hurt me, i only saw it twice. i think i can remember him saying the Our Father, but that's all. i know he said more
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Jean's prayer...

Post by Siona »

In the faith scene, he says something in German, and when Xavier finds him via Cerebro, you can see him crouching, holding his rosary, and praying.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Sandy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Jean's prayer...

Post by Sandy »

The thing in German is part of the rosary prayer where Mary is praised...

Actually, I heard Psalm 23 the first time when I was just a few weeks old...they used it when I was baptised :D (in German, that is)
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Jean's prayer...

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

Hmm, part of I Am David is set in Germany, and the main character speaks German. It's a really interesting book.

And don't worrie Rockstar, I only saw it twice too. I would of seen it more...but...alas, mother said twice was enough! Grrr!
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Jean's prayer...

Post by Beboots »

Originally posted by Vee_EmmCee
And don't worrie Rockstar, I only saw it twice too. I would of seen it more...but...alas, mother said twice was enough! Grrr!
*rolls eyes* Lucky... I only saw it once! : ...And was forever hooked. :D
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
Gambit
Lubber
Lubber

Jean's prayer...

Post by Gambit »

That was a very beautiful prayer,mon ami!
That is one of the only things i recognize nightcrawler from the movie to the comic,religiousness :halogrin
Family Tree
Now known as Metlord. >.>

Hello, everyone.
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Jean's prayer...

Post by BamfChyck »

Originally posted by Vee_EmmCee
Has anyone read the book "I Am David"? They use the prayer in the book too. It's very beautiful. That's where I first heard that psalm.
I read a book called "I am David, a Boy" that was about childhood sexual abuse. I don't remember the author off hand. I think it was a a memoir, but it was written in third person. Is that the one you're talking about?

The 23rd Psalm is used at a lot of funeral services. It's used at probably 75% of the funerals I work at. I think families are just used to it, and it is especially comforting when someone is in accute grief, "the valley of the shadow of death."

All the Psalms are usually considered Psalms of David--he is the credited author of them. They are usually designated by number. There are 150 of them.

I think that when Ororo goes to talk to Kurt in the back of the Blackbird, he is saying the rosary, which consists of different prayers. He is saying the Hail Mary in German "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee etc." I'm pretty sure someone posted the complete rosary prayers in both English and German here once before, but I don't know where that thread is. I hope it wasn't sacrified in The Great Hack.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Jean's prayer...

Post by Siona »

I believe you're talking about Dave Pelzer, who wrote "A Child Called It." I've only read its sequel, though.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Jean's prayer...

Post by BamfChyck »

Originally posted by Siona
I believe you're talking about Dave Pelzer, who wrote "A Child Called It." I've only read its sequel, though.

~Siona
No, I'm not, but thanks.
I've read those books too and he certainly had a horrible chiildhood. This one was specific to sexual abuse, involved pretty much the whole family, and was not a narrative.
But I appreciate the suggestion.
firecrawler
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Jean's prayer...

Post by firecrawler »

I'm pretty sure someone posted the complete rosary prayers in both English and German here once before, but I don't know where that thread is. I hope it wasn't sacrified in The Great Hack.
Nah..it's still in here ;)
rad_666
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Jean's prayer...

Post by rad_666 »

"A child called It" made me wary of my own mother for a long time afterwards...

It's so moving that Kurt says the prayer for Jean even though he doesn't know her. Very ambassadory-godlike.
Can you hear me?
Are you near me?
Can we pretend, to leave and then
We'll meet again
When both our cars collide :dance

I AM THE LOLLY LADY! :eeevil bow to meh :worship :eeevil