Unable to Bamf

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Unable to Bamf

Post by Gaz »

In the scene when Jean leaves the jet and lifts it while holding the water off, Scott yells at Kurt to go get her. You can see him trying to bamf and it looks like his image is just shaken a bit... because Jean isn't letting him. How would that work? Would it look the same if he were to bamf into place or what? It's a cool looking little effect though. I just don't see how Jean could keep him from bamfing but he would still do a little bamf-in-place thing....
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Unable to Bamf

Post by BamfChyck »

I think she's using her powers to keep him in place, so he tries to BAMF but can't leave where he's starting from. He can't enter the portal, in a way.
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Unable to Bamf

Post by Bamf Bunny »

And it seems to be established earlier that Jean can do this (albeit without the effect). She does announce "He's not going anywhere" when she telekinetically grabs him in the church.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Unable to Bamf

Post by kladyelf »

a combo of telepathy - supressing the "switch" that is flipped to teleport
and telekinesis - holding him on the plane :)
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Unable to Bamf

Post by Gaz »

But it appeared that he bamfed in place. So did she shut him out the dimention he goes through completely or keep him from getting any closer to her than he already was? Also, in the church, he didn't try to bamf away once she had him in midair. Probably just scared of triggering anything since he had no idea what was going on.

I analize movies way too much.

rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Unable to Bamf

Post by rockstar »

He didn't actually teleport on the plane. He tried, but he didn't.
In the church scene, just as Storm is saying "We don't wanna hurt you," we see him teleport. A split-second before he actually vanishes, we see smoke coming from his body. We can see smoke before he actually teleports.
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
- Alan Cumming (Interview with Wizard Magazine)
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Unable to Bamf

Post by SheCat »

True, and a small wisp of smoke can be seen in that whole "She's not letting me" part.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Unable to Bamf

Post by Gaz »

Oh yeah, I forgot about how you could see the smoke before he bamfed completely int he church scene.....
so how was she keeping him away from her? seems like she would have to know about the portal he travels through in order to prevent him from using it.....

rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Unable to Bamf

Post by rockstar »

Well, she has the ablilty to enter his mind and control what he does.
Kinda makes you feel sorry for Kurt. Just when he was finished being mind-controled by Stryker, Jean has to keep him from teleporting. He's being mind-controled by everyone!
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
- Alan Cumming (Interview with Wizard Magazine)
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Unable to Bamf

Post by Siona »

It might have even been some kind of telekinetic force field either around Kurt or Jean.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Unable to Bamf

Post by Gaz »

most likely around herself, i would think. That's a lot of work to do! Hold back millions fo gallons of water, raise a jet off the ground while controlling its electronics, putting a force feild around yourself.....what a workout.

White Lady
Lubber
Lubber

Unable to Bamf

Post by White Lady »

Gaz, I'm so glad you posted about this! The little-wisp-of-smoke-when-trying-to-bamf-to-Jean was my favorite "God is in the details" moment of the movie. I kept meaning to comment on it here, but, well, I was either lurking, or lazy, or ... you know what they say about the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

(Cliches now out of my system for one night ...)
BlueAvenger9
Lubber
Lubber

Bamfing in Place

Post by BlueAvenger9 »

Maybe she wasnt keeping him from goin to the other dimension, or making him bamf in place: Jean probably just stopped him from doin ne thing big, like he didnt even get started, like paralysis:?

" But in the german circus I vas za da amazing Nightcrawler!" - Kurt Wagner
BlueAvenger9
Lubber
Lubber

but.....

Post by BlueAvenger9 »

yo, Siona! If Jean made a forcefield around herself, wouldnt have Kurt ended up outside?:bamf

"Please do' kill me. I didnt mean to harm anyvone."- Kurt Wagner X2