X3 Director and Production

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
Everything else is right, except the female rumor is untrue. http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=2762
At least we get a Danger Room scene in this one!:bamf
Yup IGN Filmforce confirmed:
Vaughn Directing X-Men 3
Exclusive: Is the Danger Room in it?

March 22, 2005 - Variety has confirmed that Matthew Vaughn is the director of X-Men 3. The trade also says Hugh Jackman is locked to reprise his role as Wolverine, and Ian McKellen, Halle Berry and Patrick Stewart are all in talks to return as Magneto, Storm and Professor X, respectively.

Variety says most of the cast of the first two films are expected to return. Filming is still slated to begin in early summer for a May 26, 2006 release. The script is by Zak Penn and Simon Kinberg.

IGN FilmForce's secret X3 source advised us that Anna Paquin is signed to return as Rogue and that the Danger Room will finally be seen. Our insider reiterated that a male Angel will be in X3, along with Beast and Gambit. They also denied that the Sentinels will be in X3, as was reported yesterday at XMenFilms.net. Our source, however, refused to comment on the site's other claim that the film's villain will be Dr. Bolivar Trask.

Trask first appeared in 1965's X-Men #14. In the comics, Trask was the creator of the Sentinels (giant mutant-killing robots). Since our source says the Sentinels are not in X3, might Trask be altered for the film much as X2's William Stryker was from his comic book counterpart?

The Marvel Directory reminds us that anthropologist Trask "also demonstrated considerable talent in the areas of biophysics, cybernetics and robotics. When his young son, Lawrence, developed precognitive abilities, Trask embarked on a privately funded anthropological study of the rapidly increasing, worldwide emergence of genetically empowered individuals. He became convinced that these mutants, the first of a newly evolving race, would use their powers to dominate the world and enslave mankind. Trask eventually founded a small group of researchers, led by himself and his now-adult son, to compile evidence that mutants posed a threat to humanity.

"Drawing on his considerable fortune, Trask hired a large team of cyberneticists, roboticists and engineers to realize his designs for the ultimate solution to what he perceived as a global dilemma. ... Training a thought-reading probe on the ape-like X-Man called the Beast, Trask realized that not all mutants would inevitably use their powers to subjugate humanity. Finally grasping the magnitude of the evil he had wrought, the scientist sacrificed his life to destroy Master Mold."
-- Stax
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Hey.

I just realized that this belongs in the movie forum. And that the movie forum needs to be renamed... And moved back to the top!

-e
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3 DOESN'T have a director- again!!!

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Matthew Vaughn has dropped out of X3- click below.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20349
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Darkholme »

And now there are two names supposedly up to replace him. John Moore, who directed Behind Enemy Lines and Flight of the Phoenix, and Brett Ratner, who directed the Rush Hour movies and Red Dragon.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=20363
Nightcrawlis
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightcrawlis »

Damn, I was looking forward to seeing what he did with it. Oh well, guess Joss Whedon might get it now.
'To be a good designer, you have to be a very violent psychopath.' Stan Lee.
"If you've got Mystique as your girlfriend the fun you could have in bed - I've just imagined X-Men 3 might open with me in bed with Patrick Stewart." -- Sir Ian McKellen
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

I'm getting worried about a certain passage from that article.....

[quote]Well, stay tuned, because as soon as Marvel confirms their choice of director, we’ll be back with a brand-new spy and your first look at the plot of X3. And Avi Arad wasn’t kidding when he called the film “controversial,” either. Three major characters that absolutely should not die, die. Really dead, too. Not Spock Dead. And one mutant who should not lose her powers, loses her powers permanently. Really loses them, too. Not SUPERMAN II loses them. And the sex scene... when you see who does what to who... oh, boy. The entire X-MEN universe may face some incredible overhauls, and it's going to be fascinating to see what fandom does when faced with this stuff. But all that's for next week. Until then...[/quote]

EDIT: Just say this posted on another forum:

[quote]from CBR
"We received an anonymous email which alleges that the press releases Marvel made public regarding Matthew Vaughn's departure from the property were, at best, exaggerations. Our source said, "There is clear word from more than a few sources that there is still no good script for this project. And that certainly Hugh Jackman's people haven't seen anything they've approved yet. Yesterday I was told basically that there 'is not a script.' Also, during the casting process it was made clear that while Matthew Vaughn did have a slight say in casting it was being done by committee and that along with the script issue is one of the reasons he quit." Our source claims that "The 'wanting to spend more time with his family' thing is just (obviously) BS."[/quote]
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

:All of this is really starting to worry me. The problem with directors, the non existant script, and previous posts on what might be in it...:shakenoI hope to (insert higher power) that they don't screw things over.

:
one name: Bruce Campbell
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

another movie made by comitee... joy.... I mean, the other X-Men movies had some of that, i am sure, but nothing to this extent... i mean, wow.... I'm losing hope for X3...
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

God Lord!

And they just keep driving nails into the coffin...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

I know! I think if I was in charge of this XMen project I would jump on the boardroom table and yell "Everybody Stop!" And then impose a mandatory "do-over" of the entire thing starting with the director search and scripting. All dates would be reset even if it meant extra hassles with the actors' schedules. They're never going to get anyone decent on board with this mess. Who would do it? Would you?

I actually hope that's what happens. I don't understand why Avi Arad with paying lip service to all the hollywood bullshit with the "We've got it under control - we're trading up" crap when it's clear to everyone that the project is out of control. He was always such an advocate of quality. Why the change?

My only hope now is Peter Jackson. His projects are always completely and utterly out of control and yet they always turn out great.

-e
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

I'd rather not have an X3 at all over this convoluted mess.

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

I wonder what Bryan Singer thinks of this mess? I would bet he probably knows given his connections.

As for X-3, I hope its not released in another year. I'd rather wait and have a good director and script than a piece of crap that's thrown together so Hollywood can make their cash but leave the rest of use X fans with bad tastes in our mouths. :ick

They go through so many script changes. With a new director it will change yet again. I would love to get my hands on a script for X-3 once filming begins. :smirk
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

A director who comes at the very last minute... That's something we can be afraid of, yes... :(

But I'm not against the death of some X-men... as long as the blue ones stay alive. :D
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

I just got this in my mailbox:

Twentieth Century Fox and Marvel Entertainment set Brett Ratner on
Friday night to replace Matthew Vaughn as the director of "X3," the
third installment of the "X-Men" franchise.

Hiring keeps the film on track for an August start date and a
Memorial Day weekend 2006 opening date.

Vaughn dropped out less than a week ago. Official reason was that
the "Layer Cake" director didn't want to uproot his family, but it
appears the exit followed his growing apprehension about taking on
such a large assignment in his second outing.

A comicbook enthusiast, Ratner was among the helmers considered to
direct the first "X-Men"; the job went to Bryan Singer.

Ratner then spent a full year developing "Superman Returns," the
film that ultimately prompted Singer to drop out of directing "X3."

Fox had also hoped to put Ratner to work on "Josiah's Canon," a
heist movie that was all but ready to shoot when star Sean Connery
announced he was dropping out.

The "X3" budget is locked, and Fox and Marvel brass consider the
script by Zak Penn and Simon Kinberg to be at least as strong as
that of the first two installments. The original returning stars
have been signed, and the cast is bolstered by Kelsey Grammer,
Vinnie Jones and Maggie Grace ("Lost"), who just came aboard as new
mutant characters.

AS REPORTED IN VARIETY.
Nightcrawlis
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightcrawlis »

Well, at least Vinnie Jones is still in it :)
'To be a good designer, you have to be a very violent psychopath.' Stan Lee.
"If you've got Mystique as your girlfriend the fun you could have in bed - I've just imagined X-Men 3 might open with me in bed with Patrick Stewart." -- Sir Ian McKellen
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

A little less nervous about BRETT RATNER...

Post by B A M F ! »

...taking over the reigns of X3 after reading this....( just a little less... :P )

Director Brett Ratner Talks 'X3'

Author: Alan Stanley Blair
Date: 06-12-2005
Source: AllHipHop.com

When Bryan Singer jumped ship heading to Warner Bros to work on the latest Superman movie, “X-Men 3” was left without a commander-in-chief until director Matthew Vaughn stepped up to take control. Later, as the film entered the early stages of production, Vaughn also dropped out of the project. Thankfully, long-time comic book fan Brett Ratner has taken control of the mutant franchise.

"Ever since I was a small kid I read comic books," Ratner said. "Directing 'X-Men 3' is a dream come true!"

Ratner was initially one of the main candidates to take control of the comic-book adaptation when the first X-Men movie debuted in 2000, but the role was assigned to Singer.

According to reports, all of the original X-Men stars have been signed on to shoot the third installment of the film, but this time the talents of Kelsey Grammar, Vinnie Jones and Maggie Grace, will also be gracing the screens for new mutant chatacters, including fan favorites Beast, Juggernaut, Angel, Kitty Pryde and Dark Phoenix.

"Singer's set the standards very high," added Ratner. "It will be a huge challenge for me. But I am confident because of the excellent script I was given."

X-Men 3 is slated to launch in summer 2006

O.K. the fact that he says he's a long time comic fan has me feeling at least a little bit better. ( It might be of note that he didnt say whether or not he was an X-MEN fan though as I was hoping for a SAM RAIMIesque affection for his source material ) Also like the fact that he was in consideration for the job on the first flick back when SHULER/DONNER, De SANTO and co. were part of the production team.

It sucks of course that SINGER's not doing the sequel but they could do worse (much worse!) than RATNER.

We'll see....!

BAMF!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

My concern is that from all we have been hearing, he may be the director, but won't actually have much control. Vaughn left because of exessive meddling and Hollywood bullshit where everyone is adding to the pot, and I fear that will make it a jumbled mess. it could surprise me though.
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Ooooh great point!! I hadnt really thought of that...
Too many people have their hands in the cookie jar.
The scary thing is that it looks like said people *cough* -Tom Rothman-*cough* seem to have more interest in 'sticking' it to SINGER and Warner Bros. than they do in making a quality Movie.
I really and truly hope i'm wrong but i'm starting to get
BATMAN & ROBIN, SUPERMAN III flashbacks....:shocked

BAMF!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

There's a teaser poster out...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=3143

Pretty obvious really...I kinda envisioned a similar thing with a pair of blue fingers for X2...but that coulda been misconstrued...

Shashuella
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Shashuella »

I think we should put our faith in this guy. The thing I'm most worried about is the time frame.
Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes. [click] You're under!
Destiny
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Destiny »

i can't beleive this. I was pissed off before about the whole singer not directing but this takes the biscuit! :(
"Who ever said nothings imposible never tried to slam a revolving door!!
Dumbass"
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

i found an article

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-07-04/#celeb1

Ratner Spices Up 'X-Men'

Brett Ratner is spicing up the new X-Men 3 movie with the addition of his very own fantasy - a sex siren mutant who seduces her opponents rather than battles them. Ratner takes over from departing director Bryan Singer, who made the first two movies, and the Rush Hour film maker is determined to leave his mark on the comic book series. The new mutant has not yet been cast but unknowns Kate Nauta and Aya Sumika will reportedly audition. A source tells Pagesix.com the mutant will be, "An unbelievably hot and sexy hooker. Her super power is that she secretes a pheromone that helps her to seduce men. She can seduce anyone." The source adds of the auditions, "They are open to all ethnicities who are in their early-to-mid 20s."
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
Shashuella
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Shashuella »

Originally posted by Dark Rose Siren
i found an article

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-07-04/#celeb1

Ratner Spices Up 'X-Men'

Brett Ratner is spicing up the new X-Men 3 movie with the addition of his very own fantasy - a sex siren mutant who seduces her opponents rather than battles them. Ratner takes over from departing director Bryan Singer, who made the first two movies, and the Rush Hour film maker is determined to leave his mark on the comic book series. The new mutant has not yet been cast but unknowns Kate Nauta and Aya Sumika will reportedly audition. A source tells Pagesix.com the mutant will be, "An unbelievably hot and sexy hooker. Her super power is that she secretes a pheromone that helps her to seduce men. She can seduce anyone." The source adds of the auditions, "They are open to all ethnicities who are in their early-to-mid 20s."

Okay now im worried. Stacy X over Nightcrawler? Someone make this maddness stop!! :shocked
Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes. [click] You're under!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

:doh! Brilliant. They figure it's gonna bomb big time, and the fans are going to stay away, so in order to bring in the T+A bucks to take their place, they bring in Stacy X. Great going, guys....

I'm just *praying* this is another publicity stunt. But with all the garbage that has been rolling down the pipe, I'm not so sure. I'm getting awful tired of shoveling away this horse manure to uncover that elusive, buried pony....
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

I kind of liked Stacey X, but I agree that this is just a really bad move (if it's true). After the initial shock (shocks) wore off, I've come to terms with some of the potential problems that seem to be coming.

I really am not expecting much from this film at all anymore. It's almost a 180 degree turn from the way I felt upon first seeing the ending of X2, which made me crazy with anticipation for the story to continue. Now it feels like they've switched to a different story and just left that one hanging. But all's fair: fans of Angel, Gambit, Beast, and even Stacey X deserve their chance at happiness too, I guess... maybe :(