The Crappiness of X3

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Jenni
Lubber
Lubber

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Jenni »

Okay, am I the only one who has major issues with X-Men 3?

First of all, Angel. What is up with him being a wuss?!?! In the comics he was a funny, flirty confident playboy. In the movie, he's a pretty boy with no security!

Second, Shadowcat. Now I had high hopes. In X2 she was pretty good even in such a short cameo. In X3, one of my favorite sassy female characters is reduced to some who calls Juggernaut "dickhead." Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the Kitty we all know and love say something like "oh please, we all know that the biggest thing in your head are your ears, so why do you bother even trying to sound scary?"
Or summit intelligent, cutting and cool.

Thirdly, Callisto and Psylocke! PLEASE tell me why they restored Callisto's eye, gave her powers she never had and made Psylocke a baddy?!?!?

On the other hand, I loved Phoenix and Multiple Man. Spot on in the casting for him!

PLease tell me I'm not the nly one who was a lil disapointed.

[Edited on 28-5-2008 by Slarti]
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

The Crappiness of X3

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

You're not alone. I found angel to be pretty disappointing, but mainly in that he was hardly in it. Halle Berry was GOD AWFUL, as well as her hair, and that wasn't Psylocke. Because...ew...

But most of all: WHERE WAS GAMBIT?!!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

The Crappiness of X3

Post by littlebamf »

I seriously do not think that was Psylocke, there was nothing to make her Psylocke other than partly purple hair. The character didn't utilize any of her canon powers and no one give me the shadowslipping argument I've been given before, cause, where were the shadows? :P

And while Angel was verrry pretty, he was pretty useless and not in it enough at all and I was sat in the cinema the entire way through thinking 'Halle Berry sucks, Halle Berry sucks...' cause, not only was the hair a disgrace, so was her acting and characterisation. Y'know its not great when you're sat there critiquing the acting and not paying that much attention to the story.
rain360
Lubber
Lubber

The Crappiness of X3

Post by rain360 »

I agree,
the third film was pretty bad.
It was stupid that more than half of the team DIED in the end.

I agree,
they didn't really stay true to character with Castillo,
I think they edited out the eye thing.
I can't remember though.
"Don't walk in my footsteps. I walk into walls."
"Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door."
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get suked into jet engines."
"A computer beat me at chess once, but it was no match at me in kickboxing..."

FYI- I DID NOT MAKE THESE UP. THESE QUOTES ARE NOT MINE.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Originally posted by Jenni
PLease tell me I'm not the nly one who was a lil disapointed.
Its directed by Brett Ratner, how can you be disapointed? I never had any high hopes when I heard that Brett Ratner directs it.
Jenni
Lubber
Lubber

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Jenni »

Good points all.
And apparently that spaz WAS Psylocke. I got some cards for my baby sis when it came out and the cards said it was. I'll doubl check tho.
I hope I'm wrong.

And good point bout Bret Ratner.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator

The Crappiness of X3

Post by littlebamf »

I know, I think I got similar cards and went on about an hour rant about why it wasn't, or at least why I refused to agree why it was. I'm just a diehard BritBetsy fan :D.
Jenni
Lubber
Lubber

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Jenni »

http://www.psy-strike.com/x3newpics2.jpg

Ladies and gents, I give you Psylocke. She's on the right. At least it wasn't who I thought it was. But still, lame much?!?!
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator

The Crappiness of X3

Post by littlebamf »

Yeah. I saw somewhere they were calling Arclight Psylocke, which annoyed me furthur.

At least Angel was looking good in it, for all the three or four scenes he was in.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

The Crappiness of X3

Post by steyn »

You know we can just call her Revanche (Kwannon) and be done with this "She's not Psylocke" mess.

oh and, boo for X-men 3.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator

The Crappiness of X3

Post by littlebamf »

I love your thinking, steyn. So simple, yet so effective.
Singe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Singe »

I love how totally not white/not American all the new badguys were.

And oh, the designs of woe! The designs!

i'm trying to block it. This time last year my diatribe against this movie was very, very long.
anteresi
Lubber
Lubber

The Crappiness of X3

Post by anteresi »

I was completely pissed off by X3. Not to mention they screwed half of the characters in a way or in another. Where the hell did the characterization go?

It's a crime shame NOT to include Gambit and literally omit Nightcrawler for budget reasons. So yeah, I'm quite pissed off. Not even a sequel to me - only a badly made spin-off of the two first movies.

:rolleyes Brett Ratner? Bad move.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

The Crappiness of X3

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by anteresi
It's a crime shame NOT to include Gambit and literally omit Nightcrawler for budget reasons. So yeah, I'm quite pissed off. Not even a sequel to me - only a badly made spin-off of the two first movies.
Minor correction - Alan Cumming wasn't in X-Men: The Last Stand because Alan Cumming didn't want to do X-Men: The Last stand.

-HM
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Singe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Singe »

Originally posted by HoodedMan
Originally posted by anteresi
Minor correction - Alan Cumming wasn't in X-Men: The Last Stand because Alan Cumming didn't want to do X-Men: The Last stand.

-HM
Kids, wrong on both counts. Alan had no choice in the matter, and the budget for x3 was 100 million higher than X2 (a fact which gives me perverse joy as it only made about 10 million more). It was the silliest yet most obvious of studio logics- too many blue characters. Cumming had absolutely nothing to do with that decision, if you read the press releases, it was all on Fox and it was their decision and their decision alone. Not Cumming's.
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Freak »

Originally posted by SingeIt was the silliest yet most obvious of studio logics- too many blue characters. Cumming had absolutely nothing to do with that decision, if you read the press releases, it was all on Fox and it was their decision and their decision alone. Not Cumming's.
OMG, you're killing me! :LOL Too many blue characters! :*D
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
anteresi
Lubber
Lubber

The Crappiness of X3

Post by anteresi »

Originally posted by SingeIt was the silliest yet most obvious of studio logics- too many blue characters.
Riiight. Thanks for the information! However, I didn't see the Smurfs play a major role in X-Men: The Last Stand, so what's with the too many? Crap. Hollywood dictatorship. They really need to redefine their studio logic. ;)
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Nandireya »

I STILL haven't seen it...though it's premiering on Pay TV next month...I might catch it then...depends what else is on against it.
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Crappiness of X3

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Saw it. Can't muster up any hate. Or love. It just exists.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
stupidusername
Lubber
Lubber

The Crappiness of X3

Post by stupidusername »

There were a couple of things I liked about X3:

-the scene on the bridge where the mom locks the doors to "keep" Magneto out. He just gives her a look and smiles.

-the multiple man. wonderful usage.

-and the Pyro/Iceman fight.

Everything else sucked to high heaven. No Nightcrawler? Killing off Cyclops and Xavier? Bringing Xavier back in a different body? Bad acting from Storm, Kitty, and just about everyone else? The Marsden and Cumming dealings were just terrible.

Killing off Cyclops 'cause Marsden was going AWOL for Superman Returns. (work around his schedule, dummies)

Not bringing Bryan Singer back for X3 was a huge mistake. Everyone loves his work. Look how many people he got on board for Superman and House (on TV). I don't know much about Ratner, but based on this, I won't be going to anything of his anytime soon. Some people can direct these kinds of movies and some can't.

That being said. I still bought it. Crap though it is, it is a X-men movie. If someone is going to do X4, we will need some major retconning. And recasting or rewrites.
"It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a wealth of worthless knowledge" Huey Freeman
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Saint Kurt »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette

But most of all: WHERE WAS GAMBIT?!!
Totally!

You better get on the PHONE and make some CALLS! Marvel needs to hear about this!

(best picture evar.)

-e
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So i guess we fans hated it.

I remember I was waiting and waiting it looked so good and i was tehre that night at the theater and I just...

:surprise:surprise:surprise WTH!?!

Goods: Multiple man, Mystique, the usage of the "cure", Kelsey Grammar as Beast (although the make up was god awful), Magneto getting his powers back in the last mili-second of the film.

BADS: Everything else.

They killed off four...five? core characters, including X. They sorta brought him back, which makes NO sense. Kurt was in the game (which also sucked) and I guess that was the most they'd give the character with the third biggest fanbase. Yay.

If you ask me there were so many places for it to go wrong in the first place they could've just stayed with two until Brian was done with Sueprman but of course, marvel and dc can act like two kids who don't get along. They can't SHARE. *makes motion towards Mark Millar who SO should be writing the next Superman film*

Spider-Man 3 had some disappointments too, but unlike this, it was a good spider-man movie. It was a terrible spider-man fan movie, but like jurassic park, the books are good, the movies are good, they're separate entities.
X-3 could not have distanced itself any further from a plot that
a) could produce sequels
b) ran in currency with the others.
There was no regard to the fans, and I'm not talking about the comic ones either (though they were clearly disregarded with the exception of name dropping and terribly casted cameos). No the film fans, who sat through one and two, became comic fans because of htem, had their hearts ripped out of them as cyclops died unexpectedly with no reason, as xavier was killed only to be brought back (if you stayed past the credits), and were forced to watch rogue act like a selfish little teenager. (which she wasn't and isn't.) Basically the movie sucked the fun out of the series.
It was another example of a director being selfish. Brett Ratner did to X-men what Brian Singer did to Superman. Superman can't have a son Brian you know this! It contradicts EVERYTHING! how is he supposed to take care of him! how is he supposed to NOT take care of him? And where the f*ck was brainiac? it was just another way for a director to get with the writers and make a film that would ensure them as the ones to have to return, because no one else can wrap it up, or retconn it correctly. Even Sam Raimi did this with the Spider-Man films. It can be necessary if the director was right but Ratner is a simple minded action/comedy director. He shouldn't be doing films like x-men, I'm sorry. The only reason I have confidence in Jon Favreau with Iron Man is because of the effort to work well with CGI (zathura) he has and the good mind of ethics he has shown, no matter how crass the character may be. (Elf, Made). Honestly Ratner killed this movie, not Halle (though she did try didn't she?)

-:spidey

[Edited on 5/12/07 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The Crappiness of X3

Post by german_gremlin »

Amen! Finally some sense! I talked to many people about the movie and everyone hated it! Ya hear that Brett Ratner? (crappy Rush Hour movies)

1.) Jean Grey looked like death. Nothing like her trasfoming form in X-2. She never teamed with the Brotherhood.

2.) Where is Angel's spine in this movie? He had a little part after much advertising he was maybe going to be a big hero in the end.

3.) Colossus and Kitty's roles sucked. Colossus didn't barely speak or maybe he didn't and with no Russian accent. Kitty didn't act like a high school student, maybe junior high-ish? And when she faced the Juggarnaut..yeah, well that's what we get for hoping.

4.)Callisto and Psylocke (yep it's Psylocke with the purple hair) characters was stupid. Callisto was part of the Morlocks and didn't have those powers. Psylocke is a goody anyway...man!

5.) Leech was a Morlock as well. He wasn't humaniod looking. Very alien like. All green and with long fingers.

6.) Mystique's, Wolverine's,Storm's, and pretty much everyone else makeup was horrible! Storm's hair was well...everyone agrees it need to go. Wolverine's was too furry around his face ( and what's the deal with the Sentinels?) And Mystique's hair wasn't right .

7.) Speaking of Mystique and Storm..what's up with their voices? No African accent for Halle ( she lost it in X-2) and Mystique unique voice is gone?

8.) Where's Gambit's and Jubilee's debut? Rogue is not Wolvie's "buddy".

9. Where is Kurt? Alan Cumming said it's too much for him in the make-up. What-ever. If Rebecca Romijn came handle it, so can you.

10.) The plot got lost somewhere between Cyke's "death" and Charles death..we like predictability and constant plot development. Not willy-nilly.

11.) (and it's my fav.) Did any one see Toad in the church where the meeting of mutants held place? Where Magneto and his posse got the crowd rilled up? He was hanging on the wall, burnt as toast. I saw ya!

Thanks for letting me ramble. Whew! I feel better:tub
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Of all the Complaints I read here, we all have to just take a step back and say "at least Wolverine called people bud, smoked a cigar, and clawed people." Because even the worst writers to have touched those characters have kept at least those things. Let's just thank god Ang Lee or Tim Story weren't directing. If I see one more fantastic Four movie where it's 45 minutes of cracks and the last ten minutes are the only fight sequences...I might just quite frankly shoot all four of them. And Hulk.....

Okay the premise of the film...is very simple mr. lee....HULK...:hulk....SMASH....Not hulk cry, or bruce cry, or bruce and hulk beat up dad, or better yet, a 20 foot tall French-Cut poodle.

The biggest disgrace made to the X-3 movie was the killing of Cyke just to save/time and face with DC and Superman. I mean...I see the budget problem, and Alan cumming was NEVER into the make up (he says as much on x2 dvd) so I can UNDERSTAND (but not accept) that Kurt was in it, but killing off the Team Leader like that... I feel they handled Phoenix/cyclops relationship very, very, very poorly.

[Edited on 19/12/07 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bobj1
Lubber
Lubber
Title: Banned

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Bobj1 »

X3 ws cool and not cool the fact that Gambit and Nightcrawler wern't in it was pathetic

[Edited on 28/5/08 by Bobj1]