Wolverine: The Movie *UPDATES & SPOILERS*

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I missed the end credits, TELL MEE!!!
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Post by Esynthia »

There are two dif ones. Hop on chat and I'll tell you. :shifty
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

*VERY MINOR SPOIL*

I only saw the one where there's debris after the collapse. Somebody PM me the other one, por favor.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I'm assuming we can talk about spoilers freely now since the movie has been out for four days.

If not, well... you've been warned. I might mention things that actually happened in the movie.

Seriously.

I might.

I liked it. (Didn't love it - just liked it.) It was like... testosterone in film form.

I notice lately that Marvel seems to have figured out that most of its movie going audience doesn't read the comics and they are taking liberties with what, in the comics, are long drawn out plots that have taken decades to develop, and making reasonable 2 hour movie plots with them. (The best example for me was Ironman because I really never liked Ironman. I went to see the movie because the casting of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark was just so perfect. And it was like a movie about all the things I didn't hate about Ironman. :) )

So the Wolverine movie was by no means a comprehensive history of Wolverine, but I'm okay with that.

I really liked how they worked in stuff for the comics fans too. Wolverine attacking a helicopter (and winning) and lowering a fire escape by slicing it faster than it fell played like Mythbusters segments waiting to happen, but they are classic comic book idioms. How many times does Wolverine jump up on a sentinel and take it out all by himself? So, it was unrealistic as hell, but fun to watch none-the-less. Plus there was some other fun stuff like Emma leading the New Mutants out of the cells and the very subtle hint to Stryker's Church of Humanities link.

Probably the funniest thing was Agent Zero, but only because I thought they were calling him "Shiro" for most of the movie and I was like "Since when is Sunfire's mutant power to be a one man John Woo gunfight?" I thought maybe Croc had hacked in in the middle of the night and edited the screenplay.

The big topic has been all the other characters in the movie and after a while I couldn't figure out who the target audience was supposed to be. There were an awful lot of oily chiseled muscles and pretty guys on screen and very few women, but they kept throwing in stuff like classic motorbikes and logging equipment for the Discovery channel demographic. I think I liked the beginning better than the end just because the non-Wolverine characters were so much fun to watch. (I actually couldn't figure out why he was the best at what he did, since it seems like everyone in his special ops team was doing all the cool stuff while he stood around being their moral conscience.)

I agree that the Weapon XI plot was the biggest disappointment if only because Ryan Reynolds was so damn perfect as Wade Wilson in the beginning. Oh, and I don't remember Gambit wearing that much eye shadow in the comics. :P

-e
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Not bad...
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
OneItalianFlower
Lubber
Lubber

Post by OneItalianFlower »

I can honestly say this movie is what got me into X-Men at all. And yes, it did just come out. I've only been into X-Men for like a month. It was: Wolverine-->What is this whole "X-Men" thing, anyways-->Google-->Evolution-->OMG THAT KURT KID IS SO FUNNY-->Saw all four seasons-->Couldn't get enough, found NC comics on Marvel.com-->Couldn't get enough, found this place. :D
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

OneItalianFlower wrote:I can honestly say this movie is what got me into X-Men at all. And yes, it did just come out. I've only been into X-Men for like a month. It was: Wolverine-->What is this whole "X-Men" thing, anyways-->Google-->Evolution-->OMG THAT KURT KID IS SO FUNNY-->Saw all four seasons-->Couldn't get enough, found NC comics on Marvel.com-->Couldn't get enough, found this place. :D
That's why I thought they wouldn't give a crap about messing up the characters and most of the canon stuff in the movie.

Because even if original fans wouldn't like it, the movie would bring new fans to the franchise. And regular folks would like it anyways.

[Edited on 23/5/2009 by Crocodile Hunter]
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Welcome to the party ItalianFlower!
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Post by kamizzi »

oh, I totally didn't like it! Wolverine is so... not himself there. But I get used to it while watching x-men movies. But still, who's this lightbulb man called BEAK? And what the hell did they do to Deadpool?? Reynolds was great as Wade, I don't think if I could came up with better actor for this role than him, but what are those powers???!!!
and why the hell Sabretooth is Logans brother? and a lot lot more....

I really wanted it to be a great movie. For Deadpool's sake! :bawl
:?
BrittanyGritty
Lubber
Lubber

Post by BrittanyGritty »

OneItalianFlower wrote:I can honestly say this movie is what got me into X-Men at all. And yes, it did just come out. I've only been into X-Men for like a month. It was: Wolverine-->What is this whole "X-Men" thing, anyways-->Google-->Evolution-->OMG THAT KURT KID IS SO FUNNY-->Saw all four seasons-->Couldn't get enough, found NC comics on Marvel.com-->Couldn't get enough, found this place. :D
Welcome to the site! I have been into X-Men for most of my life. (grew up with boys) Also if you liked X-Men Evo you could check out the older X-Men Cartoon series, they have one called ''Nightcrawler'' and it is my favorite cartoon ep ever. :D