Nightcrawler's German Translation guide

Community created Nightcrawler knowledge base to answer all your questions in one place!
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Originally posted by Harlekein
Actually the correct spelling would be danke schön.
Boy, how'd I miss this thread? I know this post was a while back, but I'll answer anyway. When I was took German, the professor said that if you were typing/word processing and your keyboard wouldn't do the little dotty things over the o (can't remember what they're called anymore other than I don't think it's umlaut) that you added an e, thus getting danke schoen.
Katzchen
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Katzchen »

wow! Yay! thankyou so much, i have a German dictionary but its stupid and wont let me translate phrases!!! Now i know what he is saying!!
Eruvande
Lubber
Lubber

Sie sind so toll

Post by Eruvande »

Ich muß sagen, dein Übersetzen ist fast perfekt. Gute Arbeit. Das macht mir froh das jemand verstanden alle den Deutschen sätze. Tut mir leid. Mein Grammatik ist nicht perfekt am Morgens.
LittleBlueGirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LittleBlueGirl »

Uncanny x-men #417...as ironic as it may sound, im in the process of reading that comic!
<3true love is like a fake flower....it never dies<3
:bunny Bunny Warrior #13 :bunny
Bamf_me_baby
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Bamf_me_baby »

Someone needed help pronouncing the german words so here you are :D

1.Letter
2.Pronunciation
3.Examples

A a
ah ab (from),
der Apparat (appliance, phone)

Ä ä
ay
der Äther (ether),
die Fähre (ferry)

B b
bay
bei (at, near), das Buch (book)

C c
say
die City (downtown), der Computer

D d
day
durch (through), dunkel (dark)

E e
ay
elf (eleven), wer (who), er (he)

F f
eff
faul (lazy), der Feind (enemy)

G g
gay
das Gehirn (brain), gleich (same, equal)

H h
haa
die Hand (hand), halb (half)

I i
eeh
der Igel (hedgehog), immer (always)

J j
yot
das Jahr (year), jung (young)

K k
kah
der Kalender (calendar), kennen (know)

L l
ell
langsam (slow, slowly), die Leute (people)

M m
emm
mein (my), der Mann (man)

N n
enn
die Nacht (night), nein (no), nicht (not)

O o
oh
das Ohr (ear), die Oper (opera)

Ö ö
ooh
Österreich (Austria), öfters (once in a while)

P p
pay
das Papier (paper), positiv (positive)

Q q
koo
die Quelle (source), quer (crossways)

R r
err
das Rathaus (city hall), rechts (right)

S s
ess
die Sache (matter), das Salz (salt), seit (since)

ß
ess-zett
Lower case only. Replaces "ss" in some words. Not used in Swiss German.
groß (big, great), die Straße (street)
BUT: das Wasser (water), dass (that), muss (must)

T t
tay
der Tag (day), das Tier (animal)

U u
ooh
die U-Bahn (subway, metro), unter (below)

Ü ü
uyuh
über (over, about), die Tür (door)

V v
fow
der Vater (father), vier (four)

W w
vay
wenn (if, whenever), die Woche (week)

X x
ixx
x-mal (umpteen), das Xylofon

Y y
oop-see-
lohn
der Yen (yen), der Typ (type)

Z z
zett
zahlen (pay), die Pizza, zu (to, too)
bamfelf
Lubber
Lubber

awwww

Post by bamfelf »

Poor sweetheart! Calling himself the spawn of evil! What horrible things must be held in his past, what horrible prejudice must have been held against him merely because of his physical appearance! Poor guy!
Think of me, sweet child
As all other things drift away
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bamf Bunny »

Originally posted by Bamfette
In the novelization he adds to the 3 phrases above:
"Ich bin ein dämon" (should actually be "ich bin ein Dämon" with capitalized D) - I am a demon
On the Spanish-language version of the DVD, he actually speaks these lines. (The Spanish and French language tracks dont translate any of the German, though in both cases itd dubbed by the same actor who does the rest of Kurts lines.) As Storms eyes go white, Kurt shouts from offscreen "Ich bin ein Dämon! Gehen Sie raus!"
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

This translation is great. Now I can swear in German and also comprehend Colonel Klink on "Hogan's Heroes!"
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

I know that the ü is hold down the alt button, then press 1 and 2 and 9.Requisite knowlege for all fans of Einstürzende Neubauten. :D I used to have a link to a page that showed the keys for all the special characters, but it was on an old computer that died and Ive never found it again. Good luck on the rest though. I wonder if you can install a language IME for it like you can for Japanese and such?

&#12486;&#12524;&#12464;&#12512;&#12469;&#12512;&#12399;&#12400;&#12363;&#12391;&#12377;&#12424;&#12290; heheh...
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Your ass will be laminated.
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

Hey, this is really cool! ^_^ Um, I was just wondering if anyone could translate these sentences for me. Please? :D They're from this book called X-Men Legends, and it's this whole book full of short stories about the X-Men, and there's one story where Kurt and Kitty go to the circus for his birthday, and then Kurt sees this woman up on the trapeze. It's Johanna, this woman that apparently he used to preform with in his circus days, (is this character mentioned in the comics??) and then after the show he meets up with her and they go to her trailer, (Don't worry, I'll stop rambling soon.) and I was just wondering if anyone could translate their conversation?

Johanna's trailer was small, but nice by the standards of the Cirque. She sat on the bed with legs crossed, leaning forward with an eager smile. Kurt sat-or more precisely, perched-in the chair opposite her. He sat in a comfortable crouch, his feet resting on the seat of the chair, as the two of them caught up.
"Ja, ja, und geht's mit Jemaine und Stefan?"
"Du weisst Jemaine-wie immer. Sie wohnt jezt in New York. Aber Stefan, ach-" Before Kurt could finish the thought, the door burst open.
"You!" Shouted a slender man in a stylish, tailored suit and high collared shirt.

And then there's just this small part right after Kurt teleports the Blob into the river...

'So I...suppose I'd better...get started.' Kurt thought, and despite the aches that wracked his limbs, he forced himself to raise his leaden arm. He tried one feeble stroke, then a second, and began the unremitting process of inching his way to shore.
Suddenly, Kurt felt a hand cup his chin and hold his head above the water. A strong slender arm wrapped itself around his chest.
"Kitty...?" he mumered.
"Beruhige dich," Johanna said, soothingly. "Ich bring dich ruber."
With powerful, graceful strokes, Johanna began to tow her old friend to safety.

*whew!* Okay, that's them then.
"I am Phil, Prince of Insufficient light! I darn you to Heck!!" :devil

"Quick, get the video camera! The Professor's sloshed and he's doing wheelies in the rose garden!"

"It's just a flesh wound!"

I AM THE VIRUS SIGNITURE. PUT ME INTO YOUR SIGNITURE BOX SO I MAY REPLICATE!
Jade Maximoff
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jade Maximoff »

just to let you all know i speak 5 different foran langague. spanish, french, german iam from germany but i was born in P.A., african,& hawiiain:p
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

Are you sure? There is no language called "African" last time I checked. There's many many languages spoken in Africa, I'd wager upwards of a thousand or more, if you count the ones spoken by small groups as well as the common languages. Swahili, Zulu, Afrikaans, and Yoruba are a few examples.
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bamf Bunny »

Originally posted by TelegramSam
Theres many many languages spoken in Africa, Id wager upwards of a thousand or more
Youd win, too, The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language estimates 1870 languages in Africa (excluding Madagascard), mostly divided into four families of related languages.

Out of the ones you mentioned, Swahili, Yoruba, and Zulu are all part of the Benue-Congo subgroup of the Niger-Congo language family, and Afrikaans is derived from Dutch.
Originally posted by Mistress D
"Ja, ja, und gehts mit Jemaine und Stefan?"
"Du weisst Jemaine-wie immer. Sie wohnt jezt in New York. Aber Stefan, ach-"
"Yes, yes, and how are Jemaine and Stefan?"
"You know Jemaine - same as always. She lives in New York now. But Stefan, well -"
"Beruhige dich," Johanna said, soothingly. "Ich bring dich ruber."
"Calm down," Johanna said, soothingly.

I have no idea what the writer meant by that second part, but he actually wrote "I communicate you". (And there should be an umlaut over the u - the verb is "rüberbringen".
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

Ya know.....

Not that it hasnt been posted anywhere else on this site (I havent seen it), but Google provides a nifty translation tool for translating between several languages.

It doesnt work perfectly all the time, but if you want to have fun, you can put in a phrase in English and get German (or others) out. COOL! :D

Simply copy the text you want translated, go to the site, and paste it in the the TRANSLATE box. Then select language you are inputing and what you want out.

I put in "See, I told you it works. Cool huh?" to be translated into German and produced what is below.

Sehen Sie, ich erklärte Ihnen es Arbeiten. Kühlen Sie huh ab?

Now, take the phrase above and translate it. You will see that words that we use in English dont always translate correctly. But like I said, it is a VERY COOL TOOL!

To try it out click :bamfHere:bamf.

Now, you too can pretend you are Kurt!

Sorry Bamfette, didnt want to steal your thunder at the beginning of these replies. Just thought Id lend a helping hand to others.:oops Youre the best!
Let us try to live our lost illusions....They're the sun at night.....If we don't, we'll never taste.....The spice of life!
~Enigma~ Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi! The Prism Of Life
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

Here's an interesting site I found this morning that lists the families of languages and their members: http://www.ethnologue.com/family_index.asp
fallacy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by fallacy »

hallo zusammen

ich bring dich rüber (or rueber) means:
i bring you (over there) sorry, i don´t know the right word for that :-/ but that´s the meaning.... :oops

grüsse alex
grüsse alex
Nightstalker
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Nightstalker »

Originally posted by Steff Wagner
I wanna thank you sooooooo much for the translations because I dont speak a word of Greman and also I think this site rocks:D
same's with me also i am so sorry that i insulted you Bamfette you are meine Freundin from now on
~ :bamf out
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Cibo »

Sorry to dig out this old thread but I saw that a translation of the German bits in the Nightcrawler Miniseries from 1985/86 is still missing. It features some really weird German.
Although some of this has been translated before I just wrote down the words in the order they pop up in the comic book. I hope I didn't miss anything.

ach - ah, argh, oh
Sound of disbelief, disappointment, complain
Whenever it is used in this comic book a sound like “ah” or “argh” would be better. NC sounds like a whining old woman with all those constant "achs".
Mach schnell - make fast, hurry
Sounds a little weird here to me.
nein - no
Katzchen - misspelled, it's Kätzchen
Dies ist unmöglich! - This is impossible!
Sounds very stiff. Das ist unmöglich! (That is impossible.) would be more appropriate.
unglaublich - incredible, unbelievable
you crazy beschwingt Schlange (to Lockheed) – you crazy winged snake
Wrong German, should be “geflügelte Schlange”
Es ist ein Segelboot. – It is a sailing boat.
Herr Kapitän- Mister Captain
Just saying “Kapitän” or the short form “Käpt’n” would be far better in this case. Again, “Herr Kapitän” sounds way too formal.
Sehr gut, Herr Kapitän – Very good, Mister Captain
mein Gott – my god
fantastisch – fantastic, amazing
vas/was – what
The infamous vas... I wonder how it happened that a characteristic of the German language is meant to be the use of “v” when there’s a “w” at the beginning of a word in English. It is true that words with a latin or other foreign origin are spelled “v” and pronounced “w” and those are hell of a lot (like Villa, Vase, via, violett, Visite, Visum, Vitamin, Volt or Volleyball etc.) but on the other hand there are also a lot of words where the “v” is pronounced like a “f” (anything with the prefix vor-, ver- or voll-, Vater, Vogel, Vogt etc.) and where the “w” is well, a “w” (Wurm, Wille, Winter, wandern etc.).
“k” or “z” instead of “c” would be funnier and truer to the language (just compare: Chrarakter, kompakt, kommen, Kolonne, Zirkus, Zitrone etc.) and more complicated, true. *_*;;;;;;

Some minor remarks I’d like to make on your excellent translations:
&#61607; Herr - the German equivalent of "Mr.", but can also be translated as "master", "lord" or "(the) Lord" according to context. "Mein Herr" (my (good) sir) is usually considered at least a little aggressive these days, OR extremely polite. Well, I still use it sometimes.
&#61607; Fraulein/Frau - is considered antiquated these days. In German, "Frau" (which can be translated as "Mrs.", "woman" and "lady") is used for Mrs., Miss and Ms. If you address a woman in the street without knowing her name, the most frequently used address nowadays is "junge Frau" (young lady), even if the lady in question is over 60 If’ve never heard of that one before @___@ I think any old lady would take this as an insult.
&#61607; Guten tag/abend/nacht/morgen - good day/evening/night/morning - capital letters: Guten Tag, Guten Abend, Gute Nacht, Guten Morgen
&#61607; schatz capital letter:Schatz- treasure, sweetheart
&#61607; Nicht wahr - literally: "not true?" is used roughly where you would use "isn't it?" or "right?" in English. wahr: true, war: I/he/she/it was
&#61607; Schweinehund - plural "Schweinehunde" literally 'pig-dog' outdated, a strong insult you’ll most probably find in a military context
&#61607;
"Vielleicht schulde ich dir eine Erklärung" = Perhaps I owe you an explanation. "Perhaps I owe you an apology"= Vielleicht muss ich mich bei dir entschuldigen.
&#61607;
Feuer (to Iceman)- "Ja. Wir sind feuer und eis. Aber das feuer ist machtiger." misspelled: Ja. Wir sind Feuer und Eis. Aber das Feuer ist mächtiger.
&#61607;
Hallo Aphel, nenn mich Adam! - "Hello apple, call me Adam!" misspelled, it’s „Apfel“

ü, ä, ö = can be transcribed as ue, ae, oe
ß = can be transcribed as ss (afaik ß is only used in Germany, not in Austria or Switzerland- those lucky bastards ;_; )
ei, ai = like “i” in high, light, might
sch, st, sp = sounds like sh, sht, shp
äu, eu = sounds like “oi”
ph = like f (After the latest orthography reform you’re free to spell words like Philosophie or Orthographie with f- brrrrrr... :P )
th = like t (th is only used in very few words nowadays like Theater or Rhythmus)
ch = ach, Bach, lachen, Sucht: a rough sound produced in your throat
ich, Licht, Kirche, Furcht, fechten: something between “sh” and “h”
A lot of foreigners have problems with the “ch” and pronounce it as “k” or “sh”. Hey, Dutch offers much more of those funny sounds. ^_^

I hope I could be of help for someone.
:)
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

very cool, thanks, i will edit this into the first post :)

and it's always good to have a pesonal take on things... i copied some of those from a german/english dictionary site, so...
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

First of all, it's "Gehen Sie aus," not "raus."
Also, I suppose it would stand to reason that Kurt would not speak perfect Hochdeutsch, being Bavarian. But since I'm not familiar with Bayern Dialekt, I can't really say. :?
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but you cannot translate literally. In this context it is indeed 'raus', in fact Kurt could have just yelled 'Raus!' instead of 'Gehen Sie raus!'.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I watched the movie again. Indeed, he says "Gehen Sie aus." No R.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

If he said that, it was because of one of the following two things:

1.) Perhaps the writers did not know a lot of German?
2.) Perhaps you heard it wrong.

I would not take a movie to be an authority on the German language. I'm not saying that I am, but I can assure you that the correct usage would be Gehen Sie raus.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

actually, it says that not because of what was said in the movie itself, it was copied letter forletter from the movie novel, which, I understand, was based on the screenplay. blame the screenwriters or Claremont, not us. any specific phrases that is translated, aside from the common expressions, we copied from the source exactly as it appears in the text.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I watched it again, and discussed it with some fellow Germanophones. We concluded that indeed, he says "raus," but with the "r" to weak or too far back in the throat. I wasn't the only one who heard it "aus."