ever wonder what Nightcrawler was saying when he says something in German and they don't translate it? well worry not, the translation guide is here!
- Mein Gott - My God
- Gott im Himmel - God in heaven
- verdammt - damn
- unglaublich - Unbeleivable or incredible
- mein Freund - My friend (Male)
- meine Freundin - My friend (female)
- meine Freunde - My friends
- Herr - the German equivalent of "Mr.", but can also be translated as "master", "lord" or "(the) Lord" according to context. "Mein Herr" (my (good) sir) is usually considered at least a little aggressive these days, while "Herr Professor" would be a polite way of addressing a professor, however, if the name is included, Kurt would be addressing Chuck either as "Herr Xavier" or "Professor Xavier".
- Fraulein/Frau - is considered antiquated these days. In German, "Frau" (which can be translated as "Mrs.", "woman" and "lady") is used for Mrs., Miss and Ms. If you address a woman in the street without knowing her name, the most frequently used address nowadays is "junge Frau" (young lady), even if the lady in question is over 60)
- Guten tag/abend/nacht/morgen - good day/evening/night/morning
- Auf Wiedersehen - goodbye (which more literally translated would mean "Au revoir" or "Until we meet again".)
- Liebe - love
- Liebchen - a term of endearment similar to sweetheart. aparently quite antiquated and no longer in common use
- Liebling - sweetheart
- schatz - treasure
- Kätzchen - kitten (pet name for Shadowcat)
- Nicht war - literally: "not true?" is used roughly where you would use "isn't it?" or "right?" in English.
- Was - usually spelled 'vas' in the comics... means 'what'
- Was ist das? - what is that?
- Danke - thank you
- ja - yes
- nein - no
- gut - good
- sehr gut - very good
- Schweinehund - plural "Schweinehunde" literally 'pig-dog'
- schnell - (quick(ly), fast)
- Teufel - devil
- schön - beautiful
- verrückt - crazy
- Ach du lieber...! - "oh my dear...!" -- this is actually a broken-off sentence, you would normally expect a (masculine) noun to follow, e.g. "Schreck" or "Gott".
- Jawohl - strong for "yes". Directly translated it would mean "yes right", it is also a military term. A German soldier wouldn't replie to his officer with "Ja-Yes" but only with "Jawohl".
Uncanny #407 had a LOT of untranslated German in it, and a lot of people would understandably like to know what was said... so courtesy of Peter Luzifer at X-Fan, a translation of all the German bits:
"Feuer" means "fire", it seems to be the man's stagename from when he was working in the circus
the title :
"Gläubiger, Heiler, Gefallener" = "believer, healer, (the) fallen"
Page 3 panel 5
Supreme Pontiff - "Tetuedeb netsiem ma rid saw sad." - backwards and in german.
"das was dir am meisten bedeutet" (when said forwards)
= that what means most to you
"was bitte ist ein Pontifex Maximus" - said by Feuer
= pardon, what is a Supreme Pontiff ?
(actually Feuer himself translates it the next panel)
"vas ?" (when will they learn - it is spelled Was ?) = "What ?"
"mein Gott" = my god
"Mir geth es gut, danke" (spelling error, it's "geht" ) = "I'm fine, thank you"
"Vielleicht schulde ich dir eine Erklärung" = "Perhaps I owe you an apology"
"Soll ich euch allein lassen?" = "Should I leave you alone? "
"Nein, das ist nicht nötig" = "no, that is not neccessary "
"meinen Freunde" (grammar error it's "meine Freunde") = "my friends"
"Ich schätze, du hast recht" = "I guess you're right"
"Feuer, alter Freund" = "Feuer, old friend"
"lebe wohl und wurde" the last word makes no sense at all. I think they either mean
"lebe wohl und werde" - "farewell and grow / develop"
"lebe wohl und Würde" - "farewell and dignity"
Both sound strange in german, though I'd take the first one out of therse two.
ok so that was the post from X-Fan. but there is one panel Peter missed
page 22 panel 1
Feuer (to Iceman)- "Ja. Wir sind feuer und eis. Aber das feuer ist machtiger."
"Yes. We are fire and ice. But the fire is mightier"
1st panel: "Guten Morgen, meine Herren" - "Good morning, Gentlemen!" (Now isn't that mean? He doesn't say "Ladies and Gentlemen" )
2nd panel: "In Pressekonferenzen geht es nur um Eines... Publikumswirksamkeit." - "Press-conferences are only about one thing... appeal to the public"
page 14 panel 2: Hallo Aphel, nenn mich Adam! - "Hello apple, call me Adam!"
Kurt: Vas? - What?
Kurt: Verdammter Mist. (Condemned/Damned muck.) I knew I should have been more careful.
Movie (courtesey of Circus Elfe)
When Storm and Jean first encounter Nightcrawler in a church, he yells:
"Gehen Sie raus!" - Get out!
"Ich bin ein Bote des Teufels!" I am the devil's messenger!
"Ich bin die Augeburt des Bösen" I am the spawn of evil.
"Gehen Sie raus!" "Ich bin ein Bote des Teufels" "Ich bin die Ausgeburt des Bösen"
He speaks with a rather strong accent, so the first few lines are kinda swallowed (also mixed with his BAMF) but also according to the book he says those lines.
In the novelization he adds to the 3 phrases above:
"Ich bin ein dämon" (should actually be "ich bin ein Dämon" with capitalized D) - I am a demon
Before Storm comes to talk to Nighty on the Blackbird he prays "The Hail Mary" "Ave Maria"
Ave Maria: Gegrüßet seist du, Maria, voll der Gnade, der Herr ist mit dir. Du bist gebenedeit unter den Frauen und gebenedeit ist die Frucht deines Leibes, Jesus.... Heilige Maria, Mutter Gottes, bitte für uns Sünder jetzt und in der Stunde unseres Todes. Amen.
The Hail Mary: Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
He also says those lines when Xavier spots him on Cerebro.
When Rogue says "thanks" later. He replies with "Bitteschön" "Your welcome"
courtesy of jogurt, a breakdown and explanation of the word 'ach' and it's many uses...
Ach, is a phrase you use of reasons.
Ach... ? - Really?
Ach manno/mensch -hey/ (sometimes the fustrated version)
Ach! slaps the forehead - now i get it...
phrase of frust:
Verdammt(damn- hallo he is a Priest!)
stronger:Ach mist !