HOW DID NIGHTCRAWLER COME TO BE CREATED?

Community created Nightcrawler knowledge base to answer all your questions in one place!
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Long, long ago, on an island far, far away...hmmmm, that has a familiar ring, for some reason. :?

Let me introduce myself. My name is Dave Cockrum. I'm also known as Dark Bamf who, as some of you know, is only a pawn in the game of life. :LOL:

Back in 1968 I was in the Navy, and stationed on the Pacific island of Guam. My first wife, Andrea, and young son, Ivan were with me. Since base housing wasn't yet available to us, we rented a rickety, tumbledown, rat-infested shack in the jungle. 'The Boonie-house', as we called it. Ultimately, Andrea got us moved to the top of the housing list by storming into the office of the Housing Officer and tossing a rat-chewed pair of Ivan's pajamas on his desk.

I have had a career of marrying feisty ladies. :LOL:

Anyway--we had a lot of typhoons out there. It was seasonal, the way hurricanes are here. During one terrible storm, we rode it out in the boonie-house, with lightning, thunder, and 120 mile-an-hour winds shrieking overhead. Debris whirled through the night skies, and some of it crashed onto our corrugated tin roof.

To put it bluntly, we were scared shitless. Pardon my French.

Trying to keep our minds off the storm raging overhead, we occupied our time making up comic book characters. Frankly, I don't remember most of them. Probably they weren't too teriffic. But there was one pair of characters I remember well--the Intruder, and his demon sidekick, Nightcrawler.

The Intruder was a character like Batman or the Punisher, who relied on strength, intelligence and weaponry to combat crime. Nightcrawler was a demon--yeah, a real one--who had screwed up on a mission from Hell, and rather than go back and face punishment, he stayed on the mortal plane and hung around with the Intruder.

This Nightcrawler wasn't a nice guy. He was nasty, vicious and animalistic. He ran up and down the sides of buildigs, and bayed at the moon like the Hound of the Baskervilles. He came and went in bursts of flame and brimstone--I kept that part, later on--and he had a prehensile tail. He was a very frightening character.

Sometime before I got out of the Navy and became a comics pro, the late and legendary Jack Kirby came up with a character called simply, 'The Demon'. His demon was named Etrigan, who was tied into the Merlin legend. Well, my idea was no longer unique, so I dropped the demon aspect.

In 1973, after working for a couple of years as a background inker and assistant to several other artists, most notibly Murphy Anderson, I got a chance to draw the Legion of Superheroes. After working on it awhile, I decided I'd like to introduce a character of my own into the group. I came up with four possibilities, one of them Nightcrawler.

The Legion nightcrawler was no longer a demon, he was an alien. His name was Balshazaar. He came from another dimension, and his people were the source of lEarth's legends and mythology about demons. He kept most of the original demon's characteristics, though he wasn't quite as nasty as the original Nightcrawler. He also gained the ability to disappear in shadows.

Nightcrawler didn't make it into the Legion. Murray Boltnoff, the editor, thught he was too funny-looking.

In 1975, when I got the chance to be in on the ground floor of re-starting the comatose series X-Men, I proposed several new characters, including Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus and Thunderbird. They all made the grade, though we killed Thunderbird two issues later.

Nightcrawler, as presented in the X-Men, was a gallant swashbuckler type. All the nastiness and animalistic qualities were left behind. Kurt reveled in his uniqueness. Blue is beautiful, was his philosophy. He was handsome, strong, and chivalrous to the ladies. In fact, he liked the ladies very much. And they liked him back.

Frankly, Kurt was ME in the X-Men. He was my opportunity to vicariously live the adventures in the company of a great bunch of characters. I always figured if I was blue and athletic as hell, I'd behave just like he did. So you see why I take it personally when somebody messes with him.

I didn't approve when Chris Claremont turned him toward the religious business, but by that time I was off the book and didn't have any say any more. I hated the whole priest business, both because it offends my personal beliefs, and because storywise, it won't work. A potential priest has to spend years in a theological seminary first. When did Kurt have the opportunity? And is there anyone out there who believes the Catholic Churh would ordain someone who looks like Kurt?

I think not.

Well, that last tirade was a little off the topic. But Bamfette asked me to do a short (?!?) bit on the creation of Nightcrawler for those of you who think he started in X-Men Evolution. This is it. Welcome, Nightscrawlers all!

Dave Cockrum

:bamf:
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by ahmed »

So that's the full story... Also, I think I've heard of "Etrigan" before, as a character from Batman...Boltnoff thought he was funny-loooking????:?
"Earthwormearthwormearthwormearthworm Jim! Hoo-ray for him!!!"

"Eat Dirt, evildoer!!!!!"

"By The Great Worm, whose segments stretch across the infinite universe."

Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#8

Teen Scrawlers #1
Tabitha
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by Tabitha »

Of course the ladies adore him. Nightcrawler is everything a girl can possibly dream. A great smile, great personality and a quick wit. He can talk with people and make them laugh when he's tellling a joke.

Not only that, he has a great musculine body and a rich, 007 German type accent that the ladies go wild about. Also, Kurt has one of the most biggest hearts ever on the X-Men. You can call him an angel if you like, but with a mischievous streak.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

that was great Dave! and well if you feel like adding more, hey i wont complain and i am sure no one else will either :p

added pictures! :D
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

yep! is awesome!!!
and it was short! i want more.
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!

I only heard about the storm bit, I never heard the rest til now!!! I love that story!!!

I love those pics of Nightcrawler too! They're cool!

I agree with Tabitha and Bamfette on what they've said.

Again, great story!
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

hey Dave, I agree with people not messing with him. HWen you create a character, even if he appears the total opposite of you, he's still apart of you. I hate it hate it hate it when people look at my writing (a random character here: Benny Mario) and say, oh, he's too mindless, he' hasn't got the brains to think of that, back here you said he stumbled over his words, he can't make a bomb like that, here. let me re-write it.
NO NO NO! he stumbles cuz he's a genius, he doesn't have time to talk, he has to towrk, he's obsessive complusive depressingly sad mad guy. Anyways....great story, add more, realy.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

Too right, Bamfman!!! Hey Dave, did they ask you if they could change him? Its okay if someone asks, but if they dont, then its not okay to change 'em.

Well, thats what I think anyway.
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

Nope, nobody asked. Once I was no longer on the book, they felt he was no longer my business, and did whatever they pleased with him. Though I do have to say it was a lotta years before they really started messing with him.

--Atilla's Hunny
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

i think is not fair, and the persons who started all doesn't have respect to your ideas, specially with the priest issue, and long time ago before i even passed by my mind meet you one day, i think you might be not happy with the priest issue, i just said "I don't think Mr Cockrum would like this specially remembering the miniseries"
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

Ohmigod!!! That isnt fair!!!! In my books, yer still the rightful owner of Nightcrawler, thus it should be your decision! Grr! Peoples like that are so........(let me think of a word)........

.......gookified
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Tabitha
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by Tabitha »

I know how you feel about it, Dave. No one should have the right to mess with Nightcrawler in anyway. I was mad as heck when they keep messing up with his personality and vice versa. When I'm creating a website for X-Men, I'll put up a disclaimer for you.
kay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by kay »

Now that is a cool back story! His creation is almost as exciting as his timeline. Born in a storm...stuff legends are made off, that is! I regret never visiting this thread before now.

Anyway, I also always thought the whole priest thing was extremely illogical. Especially since you have to be ordaned very young and the choice isn't taken so lightly. They would probably want to exosise him before he could step into the church let alone give him a chance to say, "Nein wait! I would like to become a man of the cloth..." Not to mention the training and theology. Between saving the world and studying to be a priest he wouldn't have a second to breathe. Don't get me started on how they could just change a perfectly ideal character without the slightest shread of respect for the Creator's opinion... In words of one syllable "It ain't fair!"*gasps for air* ok, rant over!
*stops objects flying around the room and gains composure*

I think I will also be doing some sort of disclaimer on my site...

(BTW this is my eleventy first post :D)
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

I agree Kay. Besides, doesnt it take 7 years to become an ordained priest?
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Fuzzy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Wow.

Post by Fuzzy »

The real deal Dave Cockrum.

I love the instruction on drawing- tail does Not Come Out Of His A**!!!

Sux how they did Kurt, but they do it to everyone, sadly- look at Superman. Yeesh.

Must really suck if someone else kills your character, tho. (can we say, 'Colossus?')
(though he did go nobly- as long as he isn't resurrected, in my book)

So awesome to be on the same site as Kurt's real creator- Could you make a comic using your original idea for him? Or can Marvel shut you down? Would you care to?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Nice questions Fuzzy. I've also meant to ask you some others Dave, but I'll save 'em for te e-mail.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by ahmed »

Originally posted by Fuzzy

Must really suck if someone else kills your character, tho. (can we say, 'Colossus?')
Hey, I'm a supporter of ressurecting Colossus. I even have a very crude idea for it, in which he isn't fully resurrected.

I want the tin man back!!!
"Earthwormearthwormearthwormearthworm Jim! Hoo-ray for him!!!"

"Eat Dirt, evildoer!!!!!"

"By The Great Worm, whose segments stretch across the infinite universe."

Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#8

Teen Scrawlers #1
Mirage
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Mirage »

Wwwoooowwwwwwiiiiieeeeeeeee. *bows down and says "I'm not worthy!" in front of Dave Cockrum* :) :P
I really enjoyed reading that, it's great to know how Nightcrawler came about and everything. The drawings are amazing.
I originally got into Kurt because of X-Men: Evolution, but I am wanting to find out more and more about the original Kurt. This has helped a great deal. Yay! :bamf:
*Squeals* Yay, now I can start my day thinking about Kurt. :D :D

:love: :love: :love: :love: I love Kurt!

*~* Mirage *~*
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

:smirk: Misled Outcasts :rogue:

:naughty: "Hey! Chicks dig the Fuzzy Dude! Right?"

:rogue: "Don't you ever get tired o' listnin to yourself?"
:gambit: "Not when I'm talkin 'bout you, chere."
kay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by kay »

Yeah, Dave you're cool! Couldn't get Kurt out my head all day either when I first read this thread.
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Erynne »

Man, I'm dumb. I didn't realize Dark Bamf was Dave, lol. Yeah, I hope they drop the whole preist thing soon, it's getting annoying seeing Kurt as a not-a-ladies man. I mean, not to bash Catholicism or anything, but you know what I mean. I'm just glad Kurt was turned into a good guy instead of the evil monster he was originally intended to be. He's so much more interesting that way. I kind of hope X-treme X-men does some more with him, he was drawn really well in that one I thought.
ac0demon
Lubber
Lubber

Post by ac0demon »

oh my word! i never knew so much about crawler! this is a great story to know! i'm sorry to say once crawler hit the priesthood my attentions turned away from him and towards my second fav x-man, the beast. nightcrawler will always be number one in my heart...
My SITES:
...::www.JebeTaru.com::...
Unstuck in a cookie cutter world!

----------------------------------------------
****City of Heroes****

( ) ( )( ) ( )http://www.bubblegum-girl.com( ) ( )( ) ( )
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

ya know ac0demon.... Kurt is LEAVING the priesthood in just a few issues of Uncanny... :smirk:
ac0demon
Lubber
Lubber

Post by ac0demon »

kurt's really leaving? :shocked: i thought that was a rumour. i don't collect comics, just the cards so i rarely know what's goin' on.
My SITES:
...::www.JebeTaru.com::...
Unstuck in a cookie cutter world!

****City of Heroes****

( ) ( )( ) ( )http://www.bubblegum-girl.com( ) ( )( ) ( )
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

yep, he's REALLY leaving :D check Uncanny #417-420 for the story
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Dark Bamf »

Originally posted by Fuzzy
I don't think it was a 'noble' death, I think it was a stupid death. There had to be some other way of spreading the cure to the Legacy virus. I'm in favor of a complete resurrection.

Could you make a comic using your original idea for him? Or can Marvel shut you down? Would you care to?
I could, and in a way, I intend to. I couldn't use the name Nightcrawler or Kurt's image, but if I ever get the chance to revive my Futurians, I'll be including the Intruder, with a female demon named Hellsprite as his sidekick. You can see them on the image gallery at:

image.php?iid=488

--Atilla's Hunny