this coffee tastes astounding!

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I had my ‘performance review’ with the Boss this morning, where I actually had no negative feedback at all. I had some for Trenton though. :shifty But anyway, he actually almost treated me like a human being today and told me several times he appreciates me. Told me if Trenton gives me shit from now on to tell him instead of just handling it myself and said we could look into handing off some of my busywork duties. Gotta take what I can get.

Scott also had a job interview this morning and as it turns out he used to work with this company’s accountant at a previous job. So she’s giving him a good inside reference. He also already knows this company’s database program and the guy who interviewed him seemed really excited to find somebody who actually already knew the job. He just has to take a Web design test this weekend... and then they still have to kind of actually offer it to him... But still, it’s a big tentative woo!
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

After my craptastic first block, I went to English and actually did okay on my vocabulary quiz. Then, we switched to US History. Instead of making us take a quiz he told us if we helped him clean the studio theatre and move all his props back to the attic, we would all get an automatic A+, which I needed badly because I have a D in the class.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Slarti - this one is for you!

I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

fourpawsonthefloor wrote:Omg spaz! How fantastic is that!!! Way to go! Where is this?
A university in South Korea. I've been gunning for one of those jobs since I got here. Wasn't expecting it to happen this fast, or this easy. Still half expecting it to not work out.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Congrats to Slarti, Scotty Prime, Mr. Nelling, and Spaz! (and anyone I may have missed.)

Right now I'm happy because we just released "Charlotte" - a 30 pound dog who came in incontinent and able to walk. She also had a baaaaad attitude and spent her entire time here trying to kill us. (Some dogs just threaten, but Charlotte was serious that not only was she willing to bite us, she was going to try every chance she got. Luckily she couldn't walk so it was easy to just jump out of the way.)

She was also crazy in that she alternated between trying to kill me with eating from my hand and (as she got better) walking on a leash with me. Then she'd suddenly come to her senses and be like "Wait a second! It's YOU! I have to bite your kneecaps off NOW. Macht schnell! Get back over here!" often with me still with my hand inches from her face or at the other end of the leash.

So after a week of going into her kennel with a thick blanket and wrestling her head to the floor, mopping up her urine, and dodging her teeth, she is back with her owner, on her way home walking and no longer peeing all over herself.

As official "Charlotte whisperer" I had to be present for all her care and as great as that was (not.) it's nice to know that next week I won't be paged back into the ward every couple hours so that a little white dog can growl at me and urinate on my lab coat.

Yay for Charlotte!

(Also, my surgery from yesterday is recovering great and will go home a day early. She was hit by a car and broke only her ankle! Lucky dog. We put it together, put a plate in, and now the joint will permanently fuse - allowing her to walk as though nothing happened. Unlike our ankles, animal ankles are "low motion joints" and can be fused with little affect on how they walk. Yay for arthrodesis and the only beagle on the planet who doesn't bark!)

-e

[Edited on 7/2/2009 by Saint Kurt]
Raven Hare
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Talking Pussy

Post by Raven Hare »

It's the little things, you know. Today, I got my laundry room cleaned up. I mean really clean. Even cleaned the walls. Threw away a bunch of crap that had been hiding out in there to avoid the trash bin.
The laundry room is the first room you usually enter. So having it clean will make coming home a little less dreadful. ;)
:hepz :kitty
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Coming home is dreadful? News to me.

The grocery store by my house appears to have a permanent ice cream sale. Ice cream bars for the equivalent of 25 American cents. Guuuuuuh!

My roommate is having super internet installed. I hope that means he wants me to stay and continue to share it! Of course, I could just ask him but.............................. maybe later. :shifty
Raven Hare
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Raven Hare »

Well, the coming home part isn't bad. It's all the housework that's bad! At least the very first room I see is clean now - for now.
:D

Ice cream bars - YUM
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

way to go, Rave! Too bad we don't live close ... you could clean MY laundry room!

Now go write Chapter 21 ...
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

My husband and I have put a dreadful amount of our lives on hold on account of his uncertain job situation. I've finally drawn a line. We'd been planning this trip for months, and I've already paid for it. Whether or not my husband starts working in Alameda anytime soon, we're going to San Francisco this weekend.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Finally brought up the whole "oh hey I don't really want to leave and even if I did I don't exactly have enough money now anyway" thing. I'm getting a bed tomorrow!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

YAY! Bed for Spas! :clap

So I pulled a Martin Luther and made a list of points the newspaper should improve by the released of the next issue. This list is pretty critical of some of my fellow higher-ups but mostly critical of the crappy Editor-in-Chief, and due to some wonky happenings lately, I really expected my advisor to be totally against it when i slipped it under everyones door. (Being I asked each person to talk to me during the day and no one would... so fuck 'em now they HAVE to see it)

So anyways, turns out it's being much more accepted than I had predicted. In fact, everyone seems really pleased somebody finally said this shit. How wonderful! :D
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

They finally restocked the vending machines at school, and I can now get my cherry coke fix every morning.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

So we had this cold front go through last night (same one that caused a lot of tornadoes in Oklahoma). We were at the bottom of the line so we didn't get any rain (which we needed) but we got a lot of wind. Well, I woke up about 1:30 in the morning because the winds were so strong I thought the house would fall down. So I turned on the tv to see if there were any warnings...and the power went out. So I layed on the couch and about 15 minutes later the phone rings (which at 1:45 in the morning is never a good thing). About 4 weeks ago, my dad had a stroke (I'll say something about that another time) so my first thought was "Oh, no....."
Well, it's my mom and she's terrified because there's a huge fire in the field behind their neighbor's house across the road and the winds are bringing it in their direction (they live about 6 miles out of town). She said they'd called the fire dept. and the neighbors were going door to door trying to wake people up. She didn't know what to do. I told her to get dad's medication, the dog, the keys (and dad) and get in the car. She asked me to come, so I jumped in the truck and raced down the road and actually got behind one of the fire trucks. About two-thirds of the way you could see the fire (and of course, my parents are not answering their phone, so I'm thinking the worst.)
I get to the house and there are tons of firefighters and police there (must have been two towns that responded). The police officer said to get everyone ready to evacuate, so we grabbed mom's overnight bag and the dog and got the cats in the carriers and threw them in the car (and of course there's no power so we're doing all this with flashlights). People who lived in the fire's path were in their cars over by our house watching and waiting to see which way this thing was going to go.

Okay....so here's where the coffee gets astounding:
The winds died down enough for the firefighters to get control of the fire. The winds that WERE blowing were taking the fire towards another empty field instead of towards my parents' home and most of the other houses. The all volunteer firefighters were excellent and got it under control and the only structure that burned was a barn (and a bunch of hay bales). Nobody got hurt....even the cows that were usually in that field were in another field away from the fire. My parents are okay! Their neighbors are okay! And everyone has a house to go back to!

It's nice to wake up to a good cup of coffee!:D
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Oh good! And what a positive spin to put on that, so that's awesome! :) I'm glad everyone is ok.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Weird. Fires must be one of those things that come in groups. (We get this in the hospital all the time: a week where every shih-tzu in a 10 mile radius blows an eyeball out, another week where all cats are constipated, then a week of dachshunds breaking their backs ... )

Anyway, I arrived home from the clinic last night and the house across the street from me was on fire. Like - seriously on fire with flames shooting out of the doors and windows. I was about to call 911, but at that very minute the fire trucks arrived. Then it hit me that I should grab my camera. (On various occasions I've shot local news events and attempted to sell them to the paper including a rescue from a car being carried away in a flash flood and some of the local tornado stuff. They've never bought any of them.)

So I ran up to my apartment, grabbed my camera and tripod, and ran back downstairs figuring I could get shots of them fighting the fire. It took me literally 2 minutes.

When I got back outside, the fire was out and the firefighters were packing the truck up.

Damn. Those guys are good.

-e

{edited for embarrassing typos --SK}

[Edited on 12/2/2009 by Saint Kurt]
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

fourpawsonthefloor:
I'm glad everyone is okay.
Thanks a lot! So am I.:)

Saint Kurt:
Those guys are good.
Agreed. Right now I REALLY like firefighters....they're my heroes!:worship
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Saint Kurt wrote: Damn. Those guys are good.
Of course they are, and Paty would just love to see this!

Finished my first professional story!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

I had to go to my grandma's today for a cousin's birthday, and one of my friends was there. I hadn't seen her since her graduation party over the summer. :D
Raven Hare
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Raven Hare »

Well...into everyone's life a little luck must fall!
Our dryer died on us some time ago and we've been making do with a clothes line for several months. (That is no fun in the middle of winter.) So when a friend of hubby's said his brother had a dryer we could have, we JUMPED at it!
I was expecting a second hand dryer from the mid-seventies, so imagine my shock when a brand spanking new Whirlpool showed up on our door step today! Not only did hubby's friends bring it over - they even INSTALLED it!
I'm still a little stunned.
And if that wasn't good enough - hubby went for an interview today and they hired him on the spot! And since it is a sit down job, his doctor ok'd it. (hubby has an infected artifical knee joint and had to leave his former job because there was too much standing involved.)
So, I am one happy grateful camper tonight - with fluffy towels! :D
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Angelique wrote:
Finished my first professional story!
Woo-hoo! Congrats! {*hides jealousy*}
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Raven Hare wrote:Well...into everyone's life a little luck must fall!
Congrats!

I have achieved inner peace over my decision to not have sex with the only person I've been sexually attracted to in years. Go me!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I got back from San Francisco in one piece! (Considering the way California drivers handle a little bit of snow on Donner Pass, that's saying something!)

Anyway, each of my students medaled in at least one event. We saw costumed fans attending an anime convention. I introduced my son to the joy of sashimi. We saw Lombard St., Filmore St., the Peace Pagoda, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the Lucas Valley Rd. exit in Marin Co., and Lance Armstrong in a race near Napa Valley.

While dining with my mom in Boise, my son got a fortune cookie message that said, "You will do well to take a vacation, heading west." He got a big giggle out of that.

We're glad to be home.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

First of all, yes, I'm easily amused. Here's how you know: that I am all happy-like because I was in the dollar store indulging my Spidey fixation (I got some card games to, ahem, play with the grandkids of course) and bought a little plastic pirate cutlass (complete with bas relief skull & crossbones, oh my OC would be so jealous, if she were real). My great excuse to myself (I am trying to de-clutter my house, and that includes not BUYING MORE CLUTTER) was that I could bring it tonight as our committee at church meets for a read-through of the script for our little dinner theatre musical.

But really, it symbolizes my feeling that, yes, Crawler should carry a cutlass!

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Best Damn club in this site!

I believe I was member number 13??

The Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass!! CCCC!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS