People are just odd

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

People are just odd

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Nandireya wrote:
Angelique wrote:Being alone doesn't suck for everyone...
Indeed it doesn't. I'm quite happy being on my own.
Same here.

I actually find both movie and comic book Nightcrawler extremely attractive, in personalities and looks.

However, I usually tend to go for characters that are out of their minds. I know it's completely weird of me, but I find The Joker enourmously appealing (besides the Jack Nicholson version), in looks and personality. I just think he's funny, and occasionally very sweet. Probably my oddest one, though, is Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Somthing draws me to him. When he kisses Starling in the moevie Hannibal, I go all buttery and my heart speeds up.

Most recently, I've found another mad docter to hold my affections. It's (drumrole) Doctor Cockroach from Monsters vs Aliens!

[Edited on 18/8/09 by OctoberHoliday]
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

People are just odd

Post by wizardelfgirl »

I tend to fall for characters with some kind of deep conflict and whose personality is both giving and needing. For some reason, characters with this description tend to be physically different too. Examples are the TMNT, Remus Lupin in Harry Potter (I'm talking of Lupin BEFORE book 7, where he turned into a complete wimp), and of course Nightcrawler. Spiderman would fall in this category, only I dunno if I should consider him odd or not. I guess that, being considered odd myself, I feel identified with them? :LOL

Now, what attracts me more about Nightcrawler specifically is that he's a kind of paradox: a demon-like creature that loves romance and adventure and is deeply religious to boot. And in a world of mutants he's as mutant as you get them, has to face even more discrimination than many, yet he sticks to the side of good, chooses to help those that scorn him, fear him. He's kinda messed up --with the kind of life the X-Men lead, who wouldn't be? --yet he keeps fighting, losing parts of himself, in order to help the greater good. And yes, many of the X-Men have these traits, but in him there's something different which I can't pinpoint exactly. Maybe it's his rogish personality :devil

I admit I'm not extremely versed in Nightcrawler lore, since I haven't read many X-men comics (only a few Uncanny issues, some Excalibur, and the 12 issue solo, besides the prequel comic and his cartoon incarnations...) and I'm not planning on buying 500+ comics plus alternate versions plus Excalibur, etc. But I have read as much about him as I could and what I've read intrigues me. A lot.
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

People are just odd

Post by steyn »

wizardelfgirl wrote:I tend to fall for characters with some kind of deep conflict and whose personality is both giving and needing. For some reason, characters with this description tend to be physically different too. Examples are the TMNT, Remus Lupin in Harry Potter (I'm talking of Lupin BEFORE book 7, where he turned into a complete wimp), and of course Nightcrawler. Spiderman would fall in this category, only I dunno if I should consider him odd or not. I guess that, being considered odd myself, I feel identified with them? :LOL
And that's one of the many reasons why I also love Deadpool, which also falls into October's description of attraction I believe. October, if you haven't yet, go and see if you can find some Deadpool comics.

[Edited on 18/8/2009 by steyn]
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

People are just odd

Post by OctoberHoliday »

I was at first intruiged by Deadpool, but I find him lacking a suaveness, I think. He seems too cocky for me. He's a bit too rough around the edges. It's not just insanity that does it for me. my little fictional crushes range from Sherlock Holmes to Captain Hook (live action version, of course). They have to have a certain air of cleverness about them. To me, being clever is the ultimate attraction, and sometimes the fact that they're crazy is just a bonus. Do you see my meaning?
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

People are just odd

Post by wizardelfgirl »

steyn wrote:
wizardelfgirl wrote:I tend to fall for characters with some kind of deep conflict and whose personality is both giving and needing. For some reason, characters with this description tend to be physically different too. Examples are the TMNT, Remus Lupin in Harry Potter (I'm talking of Lupin BEFORE book 7, where he turned into a complete wimp), and of course Nightcrawler. Spiderman would fall in this category, only I dunno if I should consider him odd or not. I guess that, being considered odd myself, I feel identified with them? :LOL
And that's one of the many reasons why I also love Deadpool, which also falls into October's description of attraction I believe. October, if you haven't yet, go and see if you can find some Deadpool comics.

[Edited on 18/8/2009 by steyn]
Oh yeah, an LJ friend is quite a fan of him and is trying to convert us. He's quite funny and a wisecrack, though I'm not very sure if he errs on the side of good or evil or something else. I hear there's a movie of him in development, and the guy that played him in the Wolverine movie will be reprising him.
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

People are just odd

Post by steyn »

That's the thing, he tries to be good, but sometimes it's just in his nature to be bad. BUT he has friends to keep him on the straight and narrow. We got a deadpool movie thread somewhere on the board, and a character spotlight for him too if you wanna look it up.
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

People are just odd

Post by wizardelfgirl »

steyn wrote:That's the thing, he tries to be good, but sometimes it's just in his nature to be bad. BUT he has friends to keep him on the straight and narrow. We got a deadpool movie thread somewhere on the board, and a character spotlight for him too if you wanna look it up.
I'll go check that thread.

Um, a character spotlight would be like a bio?
~Twitch~

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

People are just odd

Post by steyn »

Hehe, here's the link: Non-NC Comics & Comic-related stuff -> Character Discussions -> Deadpool
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

People are just odd

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Now, what attracts me more about Nightcrawler specifically is that he's a kind of paradox: a demon-like creature that loves romance and adventure and is deeply religious to boot. And in a world of mutants he's as mutant as you get them, has to face even more discrimination than many, yet he sticks to the side of good, chooses to help those that scorn him, fear him. He's kinda messed up --with the kind of life the X-Men lead, who wouldn't be? --yet he keeps fighting, losing parts of himself, in order to help the greater good. And yes, many of the X-Men have these traits, but in him there's something different which I can't pinpoint exactly. Maybe it's his rogish personality :devil

I admit I'm not extremely versed in Nightcrawler lore, since I haven't read many X-men comics (only a few Uncanny issues, some Excalibur, and the 12 issue solo, besides the prequel comic and his cartoon incarnations...) and I'm not planning on buying 500+ comics plus alternate versions plus Excalibur, etc. But I have read as much about him as I could and what I've read intrigues me. A lot.
Did you just pull those words out of my mouth, Twitch? That's EXACTLY the way I feel about characters... Nightcrawler in particular. I swear, aside from the 12-issue solo and Excalibur, that is ME!!! Are you channeling me or something?
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

People are just odd

Post by Jeremus »

Lupin was my favorite character in Harry Potter since Book 3. Like Kurt, he had SO much potential as a main character, and yet he seemed to keep getting pushed to the sidelines. He and Harry had so much in common......(okay, wrong website. Back to the topic).

I guess we like the underdogs....the good ones with good souls and honorable personalities who overcome hardships and still fight for what is right....no matter if the ones they're fighting for are the ones that hate them....and they choose not to hate back.
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

People are just odd

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:Did you just pull those words out of my mouth, Twitch? That's EXACTLY the way I feel about characters... Nightcrawler in particular. I swear, aside from the 12-issue solo and Excalibur, that is ME!!! Are you channeling me or something?
It's one of my elvish magic tricks. ;)

Jeremus wrote:Lupin was my favorite character in Harry Potter since Book 3. Like Kurt, he had SO much potential as a main character, and yet he seemed to keep getting pushed to the sidelines. He and Harry had so much in common......(okay, wrong website. Back to the topic).

I guess we like the underdogs....the good ones with good souls and honorable personalities who overcome hardships and still fight for what is right....no matter if the ones they're fighting for are the ones that hate them....and they choose not to hate back.
And I think this says it all. Simple as that. Good one, Jeremus.

I might open a post about Lupin, because there are similarities between him and Kurt, and because I'd like to talk about both.
~Twitch~