The Stuff You Love.

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Saint Kurt »

The other day I went to Canada and drove around Toronto and to Niagara Falls. I had a nice time and part of the reason was because, on a whim, I set up my ipod to play through my entire Rush catalog. It seemed fitting since Rush is from Ontario.

And while I was driving around listening to Rush I realized that wrapped up in their music were a bazillion happy memories from junior high, high school, and college. Rush was my favorite band, I saw every single tour from Signals to Counterparts. I even met them when I was 14 and a family friend who was a promotor got me an all access pass. I know all the lyrics and most of the bass lines to their music pre-Power Windows because I was in a Rush cover band. Geddy Lee was like my dreamiest guy in the world from like 12 to around 15 years old. Even after I sold my soul to punk rock I still secretly listened to Rush.

So I realized that Rush's music has this golden ability to make me happy in ways that no other single band's music can.

Then I started thinking about other things that were like that and I came up with this list:

1. Rush (see above)

2. Seattle - when I get surprised by in image of Seattle in a movie or wherever, I get that heart skip feeling like when you suddenly see a picture of an old boyfriend that broke your heart and you're still not over it. I really did love that city.

3. Mike Mignola - His art is just transcendent to me. I'll stare at a single frame of a comic for an hour just startled by the perfection of it all. And it never gets old either. I love his art so much that when I see a picture of the guy I have almost the same reaction because he's the guy who made the art! Notify the Make a Wish Foundation - I will have an original Mignola before I die.

4. Vespa Scooters - I feel in love with them at 15 (there's theme here) and I've ridden them and rebuilt them ever since. Just smelling 2-stroke exhaust or hearing a 2-stroke engine makes me happy in ways I can't even explain. My 4-stroke yamaha was fun, but there's nothing like vintage 2-stroke Italian design on wheels. :)

That's it. There's a lot of stuff I really love (snowboarding didn't even make the list, nor did Nightcrawler), but it's not the same intense kind of fun on sensory bliss. Some lists should be short.

What do you love?

-e
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

I love Simon and Garfunkel.

I think they have some of the coolest lyrics and best harmony I've ever heard in my life. They even beat out the Beatles. Paul Simon writes his lyrics like poetry; it's great that he also wrote music for them, but if you read his songs as a collection of poetry, you would still be moved by it. I rarely hear Simon and Garfunkel on the radio, but I listen to them all the time at home. Whenever I recognize one of their songs on the Golden Oldies station, I smile.

I've only been there once in my life, but I'm sure I'll never forget Cambridge. I got the opportunity to study for a month there this summer, and I'm sure if I ever go back I'll be running around the city, going, "Here's where the Borders was that I bought my first ever X-Men comic of my very own. There's the little church I went to on Sundays. There's the sandwich shop that sold baguettes for L2.50. Here's my dorm room. That's the window I looked out of every day. That's the step where I drew that one picture. Here's the punts, there's the cafe I went to for breakfast on Sundays. There's that expensive resturaunt I went to lunch with Pia and Hanna." I'm never going to forget that place, even if I never go back.

Those are some of the things I love.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

The Stuff You Love.

Post by neling4 »

My family.

Autumn.

Devil's Food cake with chocolate icing for my birthday.

The honeysuckle in my parent's back yard.

My grandparent's home in the mountains, which only exists in my memory now.

The old grandmother clocks, that used to wheeze out the hours in the middle of the night.

My grandma's roosters waking me up in the early hours of the morning.

Grandma's homemade quilts.

The smell of coffee in the morning.

Fireflies in July.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Stuff You Love.

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

1. Live music, which is really too bad. I rarely get a chance to see the kind of music I like live. I have only two live music experiences that I can look back on and instantly feel good about life. The first was when I was 17 and my dad managed to get us tickets to see The Tea Party. You could only get the tickets by winning them on the radio or finding them in a case of beer, but he got them somehow. Thinking about that day always makes me happy. The second was this summer when I went to a music festival in Europe. I opened a bank account (!) and signed up for language classes (!!) and I'm going to do a freaking CELTA (which I said I would never do!!!) because I WILL move to Europe in the next couple years. Just for the music.

2. Getting things for free. I truly and sincerely love this, in the way SK meant when she made the thread.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

The Stuff You Love.

Post by neling4 »

To continue........

Brown paper packages, tied up with string.

These are a few of my favorite things....

:D

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Angelique »

I love God.
I love that crazy bunch known as my family.
I love lively music and energetic dancing.
I love good food, good drink, and good books.
I love this naturally dynamic part of the world in which I live.
I love being able to actually do something if there's trouble.
I love learning and testing my skill.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

The Stuff You Love.

Post by neling4 »

How could I forget? A good book. I love a good read more than food.

I just finished re-reading the old Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. As an adult, I can see things in it that I never noticed as a child. I still love that series.

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Jeremus »

I love my very old cat that I fell in love with the moment I saw her as a kitten.:love
I love taking my dog to the creek and watching her dive under the water and retrieve rocks.:P
I love my Grandparent's home in Tampa Florida that we used to visit every year in summer....and we'd go to the beach, and Busch Gardens, and swim at some lake I forgot the name of that I realize now had alligators in it, and we'd sneak over to the neighbor's property and feed their horse carrots. :D
(Now all that area is part of the city now and is all built up with car dealerships and strip malls :()
I love books too.:)

And I love riding horses....even though I haven't in a long time.:tail

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Did I seriously forget to say that I LOVE books????? :doh!

I LOVE BOOKS!!!

there, glad I got that of my chest....
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Jeremus »

But I have to mention Nightcrawler....but in this way:

He's the type of hero/character in a story that makes me want to continue reading stories. He's also the type of character that as long as he's there, it makes me have faith that, in the society I live in, my beliefs about what is right and wrong and what is honorable and heroic still have a place. When these types of characters are no longer present in stories and books and movies, then I'm going to be really worried.
I may not be talking about the blue furry guy that's drawn in the comics per se.....more like the archtype (if there is one).
If he were a song, I'd own the album and listen to the music all the time. That may sound weird (okay....it is weird) but he's one of the things I love deeply.
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The Stuff You Love.

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Hmmm. . . I love my books. All of them. Some more than others, like Peter Pan, Coraline, and Sherlock Holmes, but I do love them. I'm very protective over my books, and I almost panic when other people touch them.

Then I love my family, and my movies, and my teddy bear. But I love my books.

[Edited on 26/9/09 by OctoberHoliday]
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
Swizz the Wolf
Lubber
Lubber

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Swizz the Wolf »

Ahh! If you love Seattle, Saint Kurt, come back and visit us. ;)

I love God
I love family
I love friends
I love reading
I love acting
I love a good fight
I love seeing my grandparents in Mexico and making tortillas that you actually have to grind the flour for

Life is a glass of water half-full! :bounce
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."--Oscar Wilde
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Stuff You Love.

Half full? Sounds like you need a refill on life.

And a better drink while you're at it!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Angelique »

I happen to love a nice tall glass of water, but then, I am a bit of a health nut.

(That is unless you get me around a slice of triple chocolate cheesecake!)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Swizz the Wolf
Lubber
Lubber

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Swizz the Wolf »

Well said, Angelique. :D

And it could be half-empty, Spastic...it's best to be optimistic, at least in my humble opinion.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Stuff You Love.

It could also be full. If you're just making stuff up, why not make it full? It's not like it's a real glass. I don't see what's so positive about imagining life as "half full". Regardless of the language you choose, it is still not in fact full. It could actually be twice as better! Better get on that. I am optimistic that it can be done.
Swizz the Wolf
Lubber
Lubber

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Swizz the Wolf »

...I would have brought that stuff up in the last post if I hadn't considered the limitations of the metaphor. But let's not spoil the thread with a debate about something so inherently silly.

But in terms of language, you are probably right.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

The Stuff You Love.

Post by neling4 »

Water is good. Especially after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.

Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

The Stuff You Love.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

I love memories.