Killing off and resurrecting heroes

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Entropy,

I see your logic, but you don't need to kill a character to give him good screen time. That's just an easy-way out for lazy writers. They could sit down and think of something to do with him, or panel intern writers to cook up one of their stories.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

I agree that it is lazy. However, it doesn't seem that any of the current writers know what to do with him and I would almost rather see him take a sabatical (or temp. die) than this ridiculous half hearted use of him. At least if he were to die i would have something to look forward to, i would know that some sort of story was coming.
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Entropy, I'd normally agree, except I'm tired of having characters killed off only to be returned. It cheapens both death and the existence of those characters, and it's wholly unoriginal.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Nachtkriec
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Nachtkriec »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:NOBODY PANIC!!

I posted on Marvel's Twitter, told them if they kill off Kurt I'll never read another comic.

I think they'll listen. ;) Twitter is vry srs bizns.
but if you do that how will you ever read nightcrawlers origins?!
Der Unglaubliche Nachtkriec!
The Incredible Nightcrawler!
http://www.midtowncomics.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/
(those arent my websites)
kurt_the_quick
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by kurt_the_quick »

hunted up my old username for this website just because of the rumors about Second Coming.

also, have a preview.
deadpixiedust
Lubber
Lubber

Post by deadpixiedust »

Well... I was able to see the review for The Second Coming mini on CBR before it went down for maintenance. That's all I'll say. If anyone wants to be spoiled or slightly spoiled you can PM me.
*.*.*.deadpixiedust.*.*.*
DreadPirateBluetail
Lubber
Lubber

Post by DreadPirateBluetail »

I'm agreeing with the rumblings about Kurt being the one to die after reading The Second Coming mini...unfortunately.
Mistress_D
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Mistress_D »

I hate to say it, but I agree with entropy. I haven't been reading the comic, and even I can tell he's not as involved anymore. And according to http://www.comicscontinuum.com and the July solicitations, it looks as though he's being replaced by Magneto. But let's not completely write him off, there is a villain who's been resurrecting dead bodies (Selene), so I don't expect it to last. Plus, with Kurt's involvement in the magical world as well, I'm sure they'll find some way of bringing him back. One incentive might be the new series "X-Campus". Basically a rehatching of Evolution; or a preview of the "First Class" movie, which will feature Kurt beginning issue 2.
Threetoe
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Threetoe »

The loss of another character long loved from childhood. I don't even know how it happened, but I'm still stunned. I know characters in Marvel always "come back" but I'm still sad.... How did it happen?
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

I've decided that despite not having read the issue, nor any comic books in the last five years, i reserve the right to feel pissed off about the killing off of Nightcrawler.

Not only because it's yet another example of the tired trick of killing a character to seem "edgy" (which it surely is).

But because, if I understand the way his death was described, his manner of death shows an ignorance of his powers.

Yes, Nightcrawler has long had a fear of teleporting into something for fear it would kill him, but this is and IRRATIONAL fear on his part.
There's zero reason to think that his teleporting into the same space as a solid object would hurt him, because he does *not* dematerialize when he teleports.

Unlike the star-trek transporters that take things apart and put them back together, Nightcrawler's method of teleporting uses a portal through another dimension (more similar to the "worm-holes" in the the Star-Trek universe, than the transporters).

When he teleports it's important to think of it not like he's disseminating and reassembling elsewhere, but more that he's exiting our universe through a door and then popping back in again. If something is in the way of that door, there's no reason to think his body (which remains intact through the entire process) would be impaled or merged with with that something. If anything, the object occupying the space should be in danger. Nightcrawler regularly displaces mass when he teleports. When he teleports into air, his molecules do not suddenly fuse with the nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere. He also has teleported into water, without suddenly having his flesh melt by way of suddenly getting diluted with water by 50%. So there's way more president of his body *not* being affected by the matter occupying the space he teleports into.

Unless Bastion shoved his arm into Nightcrawler a split second *after* Nightcrawler appeared, the whole "he telported into Bastion's arm" thin doesn't make any sense.

R.I.P. Nightcrawler. He died as he lived; with neglectful writing.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

I kind of got the impression, from the way it was handled, that Bastion was somehow able to realize that Nightcrawler was teleporting and then quickly predicted his destination. Although it is implied in the comic that Nightcrawler "teleported into" Bastion, it is also possible that Bastion "guessed" where Nightcrawler would end up and thrust his arm through immediately after he appeared.

So... technically I suppose it's possible that they weren't horrifically destroying his abilities.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.