If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Like Gob from Arrested Development....

I don't ever make mistakes. And when I do, I don't ever admit to them.
Heh, heh, heh-
OH come-ON!

This movie WAS AWESOME!
What the hell!?!? This was supposed to be TERRIBLE!! Damn you James Cameron! How is the man in the $6800 dollar suit supposed to gloat about predicting movies before he even sees them if-if-if-if-if-they T00Tally RAWK!
Come-ON!

[Edited on 31/12/09 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I was pretty hyped for it, before seeing the trailer. I still am, but from what I can tell, visually, it's not the life changing film it's been described as. The Na'vi don't look as impressive as I had hoped, but otherwise I like the atmosphere of the trailer, helped by the music/drone, and it's still near the top of my most anticipated films. I trust James Cameron to make it a good film and I can't wait to hear James Horner's score for it.
*clutches heart*

Na'vi not as impressive as you hoped?!? THey were more than what I had hoped. Out of curiosity, what exactly were you hoping for?

Edit: Including context: Post by spammer deleted.

[Edited on 4/26/11 by HoodedMan]
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

I agree with steyn -- what exactly WERE you hoping for with the Na'vi? I thought they looked awesome!

Maybe you have to see it in 3D -- I did and it was incredible!
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

It was ok, good, aight.
But not fantastic nor awesome.

It had a good feeling to it, Avatar is one of the very few movies (or games) where I've seen humanoids actually use life like facial motions and not look like rubber CGI figures while doing all kinds of acrobatics.

Then again Na'Vi were way too much like native Americans, they even rode "space horses".

Visually-- They could have used that "cutting edge" on something a tad more original.

But that's just me.

[Edited on 1/1/2010 by Crocodile Hunter]
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

actually the whole thing was a cowboys and indians movie. Settlers coming and fights the natives. Cowboys always talking about the savages, trying to get rid of them to get the precious ore. etc. etc.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

I saw Avatar and I really enjoyed it. I think a lot of the criticism is over-reaction to the hype (which is also over the top, but understandable when you look at the budget).

It's a really fun, enjoyable move with fucking amazing visuals. The story is not any more mindless than Aliens or ostentatious than Titanic.

I saw it on a regular screen in 3-D. I might go see it again on IMAX.
BitterBamfing
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BitterBamfing »

I saw this movie in IMAX and I have to say IMAX was amazing to me it felt like I was there on Pandora.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

:puppy I wanna see it in IMAX 3D, but our IMAX closed years ago :bawl
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Steyn.

It's also got a bit of Fern Gully in it.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

omg, so glad you mentioned that, because I was making fern gully cracks with my sister while we watched it the first time.

I was waiting for them to find a giant walkman

I even snickered at treechopping machine scene that resembled ferngully

[Edited on 2/1/2010 by steyn]
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

I wish I could see it in IMAX....that'd be fantastic!

I've never seen a computer animated 3D movie. Is it better than live action 3D or is there much of a difference? ( considering that fact that the last 3D movie I saw was Jaws 3 or 4 or something and it was not that good....the movie nor the 3D lol!)
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

Um, the 3d technology had a major leap from the old red/blue paper glasses you wear in a theatre back in bush's time. Bush the first.

Now the glasses you wear makes you able to see...umm...you know, it's really hard to explain in a summary, so here's Wired Explains: How 3D movies work

[Edited on 4/1/2010 by steyn]
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

WOOOOOOOOO.

BEST MOVIE EVAR. <3
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Thanks for the link, Steyn!

I'm a 9 inch screen laptop complete with floppy discs and Windows 89.[*sighs*] The world is passing before me and I'm missing it!

Somehow, some way....I'm going to see this thing in 3D!
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

Just got back from watching Avatar a second time, this time on 3D.
Some things I like, most things I dislike about the 3d, but I think it comes down to me being an idiot. Read on and you will understand.

Dislikes:
You have to focus on the object the camera focuses on, more than what you see on normal film. In normal film you ignore the blurred figure in the back, while in 3d, the blurred figure in the back moves more, so your brain tries to get that in focus as well. Plus it's hard to focus when everything gets blurred in 3d when the camera pans quickly past people who also moves around.

It's darker. I don't mean new james bond / new batman gritty dark, I mean just plain darker because the lenses of the 3d glasses filters and darkens the light of the screen.

You may get a headache after an hour or two of this. I did not, but my eyes did get a bit tired trying to keep focus on the screen. May or may not happen to you.

And if you're an idiot like me, you will only realise at the very end right before the credits roll, that the damned 3d glasses can be placed over your normal glasses if they are small enough. :rolleyes
This was my problem thanks to my stupidity, I had trouble getting used to the 3d at the start, because my right eye is weaker than my left, so I had to concentrate a bit harder to get the full effect.

Guess I'll have to go watch it again later on, this time with my normal glasses under it.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

Aww, Steyn! I'm so sorry! I agree with all you said, too. ><

But the actual movie apart from the 3d crapiness?
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

oh I liked the movie a lot, that's why the 3d one was my second time seeing the movie.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

I know what you mean about the 3D being difficult -- I had problems with that every now and then.

And when I watched two movies back to back (avatar in 3D and the blindside) I got a headache.

But there was something special about that part just after the first scene, where he opens his eye.

That really clinched it for me. I loved it in 3D. I almost forgot it was in 3D every now and then, I got so wrapped up in the story.

But to me, the movie didn't seem to pop out at you -- rather, it was like you jumped into the movie.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

I just can't get into a movie when I feel like I'm looking at the movie through a tunnel (3d glasses). Just can't ignore the thick rims of the glasses everytime I turn my head to follow the action on the screen.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Okay....one more stupid question.
They released the "Coraline" DVD in 3D (which of course I never rented). If they release a DVD in 3D (which they probably will with "Avatar"), do they usually include a pair of glasses with the DVD or do you have to buy them separately? And....will the 3D work if you have a very old tv and a very old DVD player or does that matter as long as you have the glasses?

Okay....that was 2 stupid questions :poke
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

with that I am unsure how 3d dvd's work. I'll have to investigate this.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

The glasses are given to you, but probably no more than two pairs.

Yes, the technology is written into the disc, however, it has been noted that it's not as good on some tv's and specifically, not equal to that of the theater (digital projectors what have you). I don't get how that works, but whatever.

ALSO:

I'm sure Avatar will be released in a mind-blowingly expensive box of awesome with all sorts of goodies, and I'm sure it will be one of the first (if not THE first) to release a dvd with 4 sets of 3-D glasses.

Cameron told Peter Jackson in Newsweek a few weeks ago that the technology is almost at the point where you can just lose the glasses. He said it's only a matter of two or so years until Mac puts out the 3-d projecting ipod.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

That would be so cool! 3D with no glasses......
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

The technology is here they're just trying to wait so they can market it, I believe.

I mean we're almost there. the iTablet and even some of Microsoft's applications on their table-top computer, are similar to the technology they're talking about.
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Fox released the final script they used for filming: http://www.foxscreenings.com/media/pdf/ ... AVATAR.pdf

I've just skimmed parts of it, but already spotted so many things they cut from the theatrical release. I know they had serious time constraints due to the Imax runtime limitations, but there are some awesome scenes missing in the current cut. There absolutely has to be a director's cut now (preferably rated R).
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen