A Sincere Concern

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

A Sincere Concern

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Nightscrawlers has been dying for some time now, and I am just as guilty as the next fan, and I wanted to know why. Is it because 616 Nightcrawler died back in May? Or are there alternative reasons? Because, frankly, I thought the knowledge of Azazel being in X-Men: First Class would have had this forum a-buzzin, but not a peep! Let's start a dialogue. PLEASE!
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

A Sincere Concern

Post by Elfdame »

I was never heavily involved -- mostly popped on and made smart-alecky comments and popped off, never dd the RPG -- but my Real Life took a turn for the super-busy right about the time that the RPG seemed to implode. My computer or connexion was always too slow for Chat, so I have no idea what the shake-up was about and I don't care to get in the middle of whatever fracas went on. Never got the idea that it had specifically to do with Nighty bitin' the big one, but felt that it had more to do with how various players viewed the game. I could, as often happens, be totally wrong in this perception. The fanfic side of it seemed to have peaked even before I found this marvelous site, which saddens me, because we had so many good entries when people actually had time to do the Challenges. [total OT note: I took the Nightcrawler that Rowena crocheted and put him on the table when I led a workshop at my local writers' group. They got a big kick out of it and referred to him as my mascot. :D ]

I like the folks here and do miss "seeing" many of the people I count as online friends. Real life is still kinda busy, so instead of checking here 2-3x/daily, it's more like every few days. Haven't even been FaceBooking much with Ang or Neling either, tho I adore both of them.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

A Sincere Concern

Post by Slarti »

It's got very little to do with the game. We're just going through a slow period. Believe me, I've been involved with this site since the beginning, through all its various incarnations, for more than 10 years. There're always slow periods.

I do, however, suspect this most recent one is due to his death in 616. I posted the trailer for First Class when it turned up, but there wasn't much interest. You're always more than welcome yourself, Bob, to start a new conversation on First Class. I believe another part of the problem may be that not many people cared for the Azazel storyline in the first place.

...just wait until they bring Kurt back. ;)

[Edited on 18-2-2011 by Slarti]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

A Sincere Concern

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I have a feeling Slarti is 100% correct on this.

The game is where most of the activity happens now, and I'd have to say in that department we're still bopping. Event he game (in it's own rights) is experiencing a lull however.

Things are busy, social networks are taking over, the economy is shotty. Real life is sort of capturing us away, and I can't say I blame us. Things to do, people to see, stuff to kick in the face.

But to be honest -- it'll be a matter of time until Azazel's appearance in the movie really hits main stream comic-fans. Mostly just Kurt fans and some people keeping track of the film's progress are aware of it. Most people I've spoken to have no idea he is appearing in the film, or even better -- no idea who he even is.

Let it get closer to May, you'll see bigger numbers. ;)
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

A Sincere Concern

Post by Elwing »

I agree with Slarti. This site has always been a small group of heavily involved users. Chat and game seem to be doing all right, but there is very little life on the forum right now. I think you are rightfully worried there, because it is the forum that brings in new users. And new users we need very hard right now.
I think Marvel's output certainly has something to do with it. I hope they come up with something soon that rekindles interest... And then it is up to us to keep new users interested in the site.
I don't think it is dying though. There have been slow times before, it is a come and go thing.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

A Sincere Concern

Post by Angelique »

Yeah, I hadn't posted much regarding Nightcrawler or the X-Men mainly because the death and especially the relative lack of appropriate follow-up left me feeling angry and disappointed. As I've learned more about how little the mainstream "comics" companies actually care about selling quality comic books and as Marvel's already killed off yet another major character as a publicity stunt (that will be reversed in time for the Fantastic 4 movie reboot), I've had less and less good to say about them. But rather than foul this place with my negativity (any more than I already have), I've simply been voicing my complaints on a larger, less personal forum, coming here only in hope of some good news and to keep track of how everyone's doing.

I think once Nightcrawler makes his inevitable return, things will pick up here.

[Edited on 18/2/2011 by Angelique]
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

A Sincere Concern

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I see all that... Because once Nighty stops appearing in new comics, discussion ends. And If you're here, clearly you know the guy. Nightcrawler is one of the more popular X-Men and I know the devotion of the fans here is tangible, so I have no doubt things will pick up. I was just worried that new posts dwindled from a dozen a day to <1. And most in Off-Topic... Thanks all
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

A Sincere Concern

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well, I've got plenty of threads going in the "Non-NC Comics thread" and you're always welcome to comment on those, see if you can stir some discussion.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

A Sincere Concern

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Only I don't read comics anymore... So I'd sound like a total n00b
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A Sincere Concern

Post by Slarti »

Well, I think you made our point for us right there. ;)
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

A Sincere Concern

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I'd be offended if I weren't so guilty
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

A Sincere Concern

Post by Angelique »

Bamfing_Bob wrote:Only I don't read comics anymore... So I'd sound like a total n00b
Would this be an appropriate time and place for me to shamelessly plug an independent comic or two that a couple of us 'Scrawlers have been writing/pencilling?
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

A Sincere Concern

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

This place has been dying for years. It does seem a little deader than usual though. Case in point: this thread is four months old.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A Sincere Concern

Post by Rowena »

I've been hugely busy with research, but if anyone thinks it might help liven this place up a bit, I could put together a writing challenge for the summer. People would have to enter it and review stories, though. Anyone willing?
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Threetoe
Lubber
Lubber

A Sincere Concern

Post by Threetoe »

I think the trend is going toward huge monster sites, not specialized ones like Nightscrawlers. I love this board. I don't want to see it become a total ghost town like a lot of smaller boards are becoming. :(
Threetoe
Lubber
Lubber

A Sincere Concern

Post by Threetoe »

Angelique wrote: Would this be an appropriate time and place for me to shamelessly plug an independent comic or two that a couple of us 'Scrawlers have been writing/pencilling?
I'd love to see it! Post away (if that's allowed).
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

A Sincere Concern

Post by Scumfish »

Would like to add, as a long-term member of this board, it really isn't as dead as people are saying it is. There's always quite times in boards, and considering how many other boards die within a couple of years at most...

I'd say it isn't time for the defibs just yet.

And Rowena - I'd love to see more challenges XD
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

A Sincere Concern

Post by Indigo_Lady »

Well, I just "rediscovered" my interest in Kurt, but since he has disappeared from just about every title, this is one of the only places I can find Nightcrawler material. I can only hope he won't be dead too long.

As to the lack of postings, it's not surprising. There really isn't much new when it comes to Kurt. And to be honest, with the economy the way it is, those of us that have jobs are working our fool butts off. Teenagers have sometimes had to get jobs to help their families keep their heads above water. I know some people that have had to cut their budgets and don't have the money for Internet service. More than one of my good internet friends has disappeared from the online world for that reason. It's happening at other places I visit, so it's not just this site that is quiet.
Always a Queen of Narnia

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds. G.K. Chesterton

Favorite X-Men: :engarde :storm :colossus :nocturne :gambit :rogue :hank :psylocke
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A Sincere Concern

Post by Slarti »

The Drastic Spastic wrote:This place has been dying for years. It does seem a little deader than usual though. Case in point: this thread is four months old.
And trust you to be the one to resurrect it just so you can make a cynical comment. :smirk

I agree, Indigo_Lady. Between Kurt's current status as, well, dead, meaning no new discussion on new books, and book sales overall down due to the economy... eh.

But, this site has been around for over 10 years in one form or the other, and it's not going anywhere.
Nightcrawlis
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

A Sincere Concern

Post by Nightcrawlis »

It'll always be here. I just drifted away, like others have done. It happens. I've drifted back again and I'm sure others will as well.
'To be a good designer, you have to be a very violent psychopath.' Stan Lee.
"If you've got Mystique as your girlfriend the fun you could have in bed - I've just imagined X-Men 3 might open with me in bed with Patrick Stewart." -- Sir Ian McKellen
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

A Sincere Concern

Post by Jeremus »

It's the same all over. Even the Marvel site has slowed down a lot.

Still, I should check in more often. I miss everyone.

:)
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

A Sincere Concern

Post by Elwing »

I thought it was nice to bring this up as a reminder. There has been an influx of new users recently(welcome!), and Marvel is waking up the dead...And voilà, people are posting again. Excellent!
It has always been like this and there have always been quiet and busy times. But there is a core of genuine friendship at the heart of this site that won't die, no matter what. Thanks to you all:)
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

A Sincere Concern

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I remember this site in it's glory days, when we had creators posting on a regular basis and coming into chat with us, when we had upwards of 50 new members a week, when we were crashing servers due to activity, when we planned trips together and this was a home to many. I'm excited to see it move back to that, and happy C reached out to me :)
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

A Sincere Concern

Post by littlebamf »

Basically ditto to what Nacht said. I first registered here in 2002, so that'll be ten years next year. I remember the crashing servers, the board outages, the creator visits, sulking because I lived in another country and couldn't get in on the trips, getting molested with tentacles my first time in chat....(yeah that was Mikey btw). I'm also happy to have been prodded into returning and hope I can bring stuff to the board again once more.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

A Sincere Concern

Post by Crawler »

Hopefully we're on the road to recovery here. I know that a lot of people that had wandered away would pop in from time to time to see if things had picked up and maybe get some stuff going, but with a small population, it's really hard to get things to become self-sustaining conversation.

Message boards are kind of weird. Lots of people posting leads to even more will join in. Few people posting leads to fewer people...and so on.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.