Hanna - Must See Action Flick Of Year

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

HANNA
Director: Joe Wright
Focus Features/Sony Pictures Entertainment
Starring: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett, & Jason Flemyng
Rating: R

Many screenwriters have tried to do the child-soldier story combined with the sci-fi twist of genetically manipulated perfection laced, secretly, into DNA. It is a well-known strategy to hook an audience. You are not expected to leave your conscience at the door no matter how brutal and lethal this child acts, the audience still embraces the child and wishes them safe keeping by the films end.

Hanna takes that concept, runs with it, breaks some long-distance records, and keeps going far past where any other film makers have stopped. Director Joe Wright outwits nearly every action director of the last 2 years by creatively whipping up a flurry of emotional drives and tumbles that throw the viewers into terror, glee, excitement, and absolute sympathy. This film not only nails it, it raises the bar and challenges other film makers to take a chance and reminds them that action flicks can still be a work of art.

Marissa Wiegler (Blanhcett) is an overbearing, potentially corrupted and very self-involved CIA operative who uses devious methods to get what she wants. She has climbed the ranks and earned a substantial place in the upper management. However; a single loose end that could fracture her entire career has recently showed up and that loose end is Hanna (Ronan). Product of a disturbing genetics project to create a perfect soldier and daughter to ex-operative Erik Heller (Bana) and his lover, Hanna is a perfect killing machine in the mind and body of an innocent 16 year old girl. Erik has trained Hanna, alone in the Siberian forests, to become an untouchable assassin so Hanna may get close to the woman who killed her mother, Erik's lover. The killer is naturally, Marissa Wiegler.

The story is jam-packed with hidden secrets, pockets of great character development, and tremendous story telling. Unfortunately for the audience, the story has some loose ends as well, but nothing so overwhelming that it shadows the quality of the storytelling. The ending to the film is an ending that labels the movie as being different from all the other scrap-pieces chucked at us from "The Shit Factory". It matches the story and style the film was made in: unique, quiet, chilling, and thought-provoking.

The Chemical Brothers were in charge of the soundtrack and they did a splendid job. It is fairly reminiscent to Daft Punk's music in the recent sequel Tron: Legacy, however; The Chemical Brothers have a certain originality and class that they apply to the soundtrack. The score is not just racing music, chase themes, or fight songs. It is a wildly unique array of sounds and club mixing that produces a score that really puts this movie on the "WINNING" shelf. The most intriguing part of the score is the interesting way Joe Wright matches simple things like the whistling of Marissa's henchman to the track being played in the film.

Other interesting aspects of this film are of course the setting and cinematography. Alwin H. Kuchler was in charge of bringing story writer Seth Lochhead's imagination to life and with Joe Wright's rebellious film-making style the result is an incredibly artistic approach to what is essentially an action flick. Hanna uses dramatic symbolism in set design, intense, tight, camera work and edgy, new-age music to hook audiences and throw them around in a maze of story development and splendidly choreographed action. To miss this movie in theaters would be a shame and to miss it all together would be a pity. This movie has so many great high-points and so few lows that I can't imagine anyone walking out and not being at least somewhat satisfied. Forget Sucker Punch, forget Fast Five, see Joe Wright's Hanna and see for yourself what is so awesome about this little girl who kicks big ass.

Rating?
:bamf :bamf :bamf :bamf :bamf Five Nightcrawlers! (Highest Rating Yet: :spidey & :bamf to "The Dark Knight". Lowest Rating Yet: :azazel :dead to "Eragon")
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

I defnintely want to see this one. Cate Blanchett as a cold-hearted CIA killer alone sold me. :cracked
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen