Scrawlers Tour Guide to the World

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Was thinking that it would be cool to network on this - some of the places we've been and loved and what you should do or not do. Was it the greatest thing or a bomb? What are your best tips for that area?

I'll kick it off using my latest trip - Edmonton in Alberta, Canada. We go there every year and stay with a friend, but honestly? The best thing about Edmonton for people looking to go there just because is West Edmonton Mall.

Yes, ladies, it's shopping at your fingertips. But that's not really why it's great. Why it's great is because it has a fully indoor amusement park and water park. Both are must do's if you come to Edmonton.

The two mini golfs in there are ok, and there's a really nice indoor skating rink in the middle of the mall too. There's also a seal performance and an sea-life exhibit that is fun for all ages. Honestly, if you're going to spend a good time there, you may find it the most economically smart to just get a three month pass there. We did that and stayed could come back again and again to our favorite spots.

An important to know about Edmonton; summer is nice there, but winter is pretty near to those igloo conditions that you think about when you picture canada. No, they're not using dog sleds to get to work, but there's a crap load of snow and because of that they don't bother plowing side streets. Yup, that's right - you can expect to be driving on a packed snow/ice road in the middle of these huge shoveled heaps of snow that can be shoulder high. That'd be why everything is indoors people. And that's why if you don't have winter tires, you'll be screwed.

Calgary is only three hours away and Jasper is about three and a half - tons of wildlife an awesome views in the rockies!
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Paws that's awesome! WOW! Look at those waterslides! Holy crap! My cardiologist wouldn't let me anywhere near those things!
Which is bad 'cause I'd go on them regardless! :toothy

I'd have to say one of my favorite places that I've ever been is in Flagstaff, Arizona.

Talk about a beautiful place. If you time your visit right (i.e. not in the middle of summer. Or in summer at all. It is a desert people.) you will have such a great time. Perfect weather, perfect scenery, it's just a perfectly wonderful place.

I mean, these are pictures from my Brother/Sister-in-Law's wedding. Just ...

amazing.

R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Don't come to Korea unless you are truly desperate to find paid employment.

none of these buildings contain anything interesting
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

Post by Ferguson »

But I will recommend Hongdae where you can give directions by where a place is in relations to the giant dog by the cotton candy machine.

And witness things that shouldn't be near as amusing or as awesome as they are, such as Kimchibilly.

And where the regulars will pull you up on stage, drunken bartenders who are celebrating the birth of their son will attempt to swing dance, and the epically awesome Kebab man from outside will be too shy to dance but still be awesome nevertheless. Then on to Freebird where you can stay afterhours for free drinks, cracktastic random ghost stories, and a place to sleep. It was pretty much my experience of Seoul and now everyone knows why I always seemed slightly drunk in chat after the weekends.

[Edited on 3/9/11 by Ferguson]
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I will concede that Korea isn't so bad if you like getting drunk every night. It's been awhile since I had the stomach for that.
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ferguson »

And, since half of my friends seem to be talking about their Chuseok break I'll go ahead and list some of the other places.

Itaewon...do not recommend Itaewon. It's just...not Korea in Korea. Not to say I haven't found uses for the place as, being the fat American I am, it's where I went to go for clothing. Image that store, in particular, I had a strange bond with as the proprietor seemed to take a special interest in finding pants. So, if you're ever in Seoul and need emergency clothing and aren't exactly local-sized, that's the place to go. Plus, if you don't go to Itaewon you end up with no 'so I was on Hooker Hill and' stories and that's sort of sad.

Andong, ImageI had a friend that taught in Andong which she absolutely hated it but when I went to visit her I found the place to be quite lovely. The Hahoe Village is possibly a little hokey to those who don't enjoy such things but I don't fall under that description. The place for me was interesting, educational, the food was good, the other sites in the area were just as interesting and it was quite beautiful if just a little touristy feeling.

[Edited on 10/9/11 by Ferguson]
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Andong? Poor girl. It's nice for a weekend but it would be very lonely to live out there. After a few years even Seoul is too lonely.

I fit into the (X)L local size so I get to shop in Myeongdong and the other cool places. Itaewon is only good for getting drunk and eating pies. And banging American soldiers. Oh, and going to the bank, the staff can sometimes speak English at the branches in Itaewon! It's also a good place to meet friends because of the central location and large number of bars with quiet enough music that you can have a nice chat. There's a foreign help center that offers legal advice and lots of different classes for English speakers. My doctor is in Itaewon and he speaks English and is willing to help with passport renewal. (A real problem for Canadians drifting around overseas). ...I guess Itaewon is actually pretty cool. For old people. :P
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ferguson »

For the most part I hated any night I spent in Itaewon but that was more my companions than the place...though I did meet a random Nigerian man that was obsessed with shoes while I was trapped in Geckos once. Basically I think I lived for random strange conversations whenever I was there (nothing will ever top the surprise puppet show in Hongdae though so I can't even give Itaewon the prize for that)

I think I'm too midwestern to properly get through Myeongdong, too busy apologizing for brushing up against one person to get out of the way of the next. I did enjoy it though. Oddly enough my place for pie was in Insadong but I can't remember the name of it, only discovered it a month before leaving.

Speaking of old people, might as well share my favourite spot from my almost embarrassingly geeky reenactment hobby.

The UP, hickish, in places shamefully so, but absolutely gorgeous and welcoming. Pretty much everything I witnessed about the place was just laid back and happy.

And, also, it's where I went to my first Rendezvous. I'll admit...that's probably going to be a niche market there but if you enjoy camping and at least have a passing interest in history I would recommend getting involved in which ever local branch of it you're near.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Re: Scrawlers Tour Guide to the World

Post by steyn »

Disneyland Hong Kong. *checks it off the list*
At 8pm before they close, they have a fireworks display. I took a video of it with my sister's still camera. No tripod, meaning it's a bit on the shakey side.

Well, until the flash code thing works right, here's the direct link to it.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Re: Scrawlers Tour Guide to the World

Post by Angelique »

I haven't actually gone any far-flung places lately. It was just that, in my quest for summer wildland firefighting work, I decided to take the most interesting routes to and from my job interviews and take frequent hiking breaks. The upshot was that I got to see the Sacajawea Interpretive Center and places of significance to the Shoshone, Kootenai, Coeur d'Alene, and Nez Perce- especially the rather scarily named "Heart of the Monster," which is the center of the Nez Perce creation story. In addition to better familiarizing myself with Idaho's Native history, I got to see the town of Wallace- a little town of great significance to the firefighting community. I also got to see a part of Craters of the Moon few people do, and even stopped for a drink in a tiny little town with no paved roads and accessible only by a one lane bridge over a rushing, steep-gorged river. (I was rather shocked but delighted at just how primitive a place could get while less than 90 miles from Boise.) And the wildlife! You don't see herds of bison, elk, or deer (in a couple of cases wandering down the roads like they were nothing) if you stick to the Interstates.