Things that tick you off

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Things that tick you off

Post by Beboots »

Originally posted by taekwondodo
My best recommendation for anyone who wants to improve their grammar, etc... is just to read. Read vast quantities of well written, professionally edited literature. Read people who use the language creatively, effectively and in complex ways. Read authors who expect their readers to be intelligent and/or well-educated and with an attention span longer than your average gerbil's. If you repeatedly see the language used well, it will (hopefully) rub off. Lord knows I'm still trying.
Hear, hear! :beer

I recomend books like LOTR (you saw that coming, didn't you?), the Arthur triology(by Kevin Crossley-Holland), Fire Bringer and/or The Sight (both by David Clement-Davies), anything by Brian Jacques or Phillip Pullman... Umm... That's all I can think of for now... :X I'm practically a reading prodigy. In grade six, I had a reading-level test done... I was grade nine reading level! :surprise Meh, I'm in grade nine now, and I read so much more than I did then... Wonder what level I am now? :?

*is pummeled by :offtopic smilies*
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Things that tick you off

Post by Siona »

In kindergarten, I had a third-grade reading level, and I'm now at an adult. :D

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Things that tick you off

Post by SheCat »

Hmmmm, Fire Bringer was such a good book...
Back to topic. People who diss the X-Men and haven't even taken the time to read any comics, watch any shows or movies and just go by the 'they're comic books so they're kiddy' impression! Aaaargh!
Spanish Class. Period. And 7th gade English sucked too...

Once again, my fridge. It's evil incarnate.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Things that tick you off

Post by Siona »

The only flaming of X-men that TRULY ruffled my feathers was this one: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/123/41.0.html

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Yma
Lubber
Lubber

Things that tick you off

Post by Yma »

Spelling... yeah, that's a problem. I mean, I'm quite the culprit myself, I'm dyslexic but... well, I DO spell check, but the checker misses out problems like Rogue and Rouge.
Blimin' thing.
I HATE lazy grammar, almost more than spelling. OK, nobody's entirely sure how semi-colons work. Not so up on your comma use? OK, OK, I can deal. Problems with some stylistics, yeah fine. But not even using full stops and capital letters! Putting in "i" for "I" COME ON! That's just lazy!
Lazyness like that puts me off. Some basically bad spelling, and I'm not talking slightly bad, but Really, really bad bothers me. Again, it's the lazyness thing...
To be fair though, English is horrible to write. Still, I shouldn't worry. Soon all thse odd spellings will be amalgramated into the english language and become official, so welll B able to tk lik this @ itll B fine.
That's evolving language for you...
Oh, and nutter. When I read your dog complaint, I had to ask, have you heard the song 'Kill The Dog Next Door' by the Arrogant Worms? If not then you really should!
Push down taps really annoy me. I mean REALLY annoy me. They're just so... so... AUGH! Was ever a more useless invention devised by the mind of man? I doubt it.
I currently lack a witty signature. Isn't it tragic?
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Things that tick you off

Post by Beboots »

Originally posted by Yma
I HATE lazy grammar, almost more than spelling. OK, nobody's entirely sure how semi-colons work. Not so up on your comma use? OK, OK, I can deal. Problems with some stylistics, yeah fine. But not even using full stops and capital letters! Putting in "i" for "I" COME ON! That's just lazy!
*rolls eyes* I agree to that... I mean, I can tolerate some typos, and other accedental spelling errors, but when they're being delebrately lazy... that just ticks me off. I mean, I've heard thier excuses: "It's faster this way!" Well, you better practise! I mean, I hang out here, and type up stuff everyday, and my WPM count is (on average) 75, and I have pretty good spelling and grammar (wouldn't you say?) for a grade nine-er... I mean, as long as you practise, you will get faster. Besides, if you start using Chat Speak on say, your high-school English essays... You're doomed. :X
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
Riley
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Things that tick you off

Post by Riley »

My dads making a book....... Now Heres the thing that ticks me off... It was MY idea to write the book, and he's taking all the credit. Its a book about my grandpa's life during the WW2. I love hearing stories about him being in the war and asked him to write some things about it. My took the notes and made into a short book. If he gets it published (which i think he shoul) He will get all the credit when all he did was write it,(all he did was copy from what was on the noted) THAT REALLY P*SSES ME OFF. Everybody always takes credit for things i tell them. My sister especially!
Hey! Dont Diss the Chicken! :smirk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I quit Scrawlers sometime in November, never to return again.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Things that tick you off

Post by SheCat »

Ah me, I have a problem with people calling me Emma. My name is NOT Emma, it's Emily. Emma is an entirely different name. I do respond to Emmy-Jay though, but I think that that is okay since it is DERIVED from my name and initials.
People mispronoucing my last name. Sure it's French, but it's a freakin' state capital! You never say the city's name wrong, so why is my name so frikken' hard?
People who never make up their mind. I was at camp and I was cook, and one girl wanted a quesadilla, but after it was served said she really wanted grilled cheese instead. So we served her grilled cheese and THEN she said she wanted her quesadilla back (which had been thown out)! :mad

When parents expect you to be best friends with someone because he/she is the son/daughter of your parent's co-worker. I don't care is Ms. Winny is nice, her daughter Cassie is still a total b****!
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
desaa
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Things that tick you off

Post by desaa »

I hated her at camp too.....SHE WAS SO F^%#IN' ANNOYIN' IT IS AMAZING...HOW CAN SOMEONE BE SOOOOOO PICKY????!?!??!?!?

But SheCat remember...we are the IRON CHEFS!
Cerise
Lubber
Lubber

Things that tick you off

Post by Cerise »

Originally posted by Beboots
Hmm...Okay, and you know the sequel to the movie, Lilo & Stitch? The first was wonderfull! Sure, it was a kid's movie, but it had adult interest...The second, well, for lack of a better word (it doesn't deserve better words! :mad), sucked. If you want to know all of what I thought of 'Stitch: The Movie' (I wrote a whole author's rant in one of my fics), click here:

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?stor ... &chapter=6

[shameless advertising]Oh, and while you're there, you could read some of my fics, if you want. :P [/shameless advertising]
OMG, I totally agree! May I also add a few things? First off, what the heck? I was NOT expecting the ending that soon!! It was like only half of a movie!!!

And then, in the box, it comes with a poster with ALL of Stitch's " cousins" , with explanations of them on the back, but like NONE of them were even in the movie, except the one that made sandwiches and the electric one! Like one had this pink female version of Stitch and it said " Stitch is in love with her!!" And she wasn't even SEEN in the movie at all.

It totally sucked.

But at least Stitch is still cute..
:bamf I have spoken!!:bamf

http://www.tvguide.com/movies/dbpix/images/34281a.jpg I love Edward!
x3
Lubber
Lubber

Things that tick you off

Post by x3 »

one thing that ticks me off is stryker....NOT AGAIN........... :hypno :engarde :grrr :bite :yell :mad :offtopic
darkness will rule,it is all i need,there is no happt outlook on life. Also find a cheer leader and saw her legs off.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Things that tick you off

Post by SheCat »

Another thing...hypocrisy (despite the fact that I, myself, am a hypocrite).
Another thing would be long turtlenecks and cuffs around the end of the sleeve. I can't stand them. They're so restraining!
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Things that tick you off

Post by Northstars Love »

Stupidity in general ticks me off. Come on, no one can be that dumb!

And as a food server in Las Vegas I've met some really stupid people.

Example

I like a grilled cheese sandwich please. Do they grill the bread?

uh...duh.... ya they do! That is a grill cheese sandwich!

:urg Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Things that tick you off

Post by SheCat »

Yeah, **Northstar's Love**, I hate dumb people too. Class goes soooooooo slooooow because of them.

Teacher:And the first Amendment was...Nina?
Nina: What? My nail-polish is chipping.

Yes, I hate dumb. A lot.
The French Biscuit
Lubber
Lubber

Things that tick you off

Post by The French Biscuit »

When people say "I seen" when they should have said "I saw". This is even worse when I know that English is their first language. :rolleyes

When people won't grow up and learn to compromise. (Possible roomate issues are about to spring up, doom is imminent) :(
Don't mess with me, I'm French!
Orangatan64
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Things that tick you off

Post by Orangatan64 »

Originally posted by The French Biscuit
When people say "I seen" when they should have said "I saw". This is even worse when I know that English is their first language. :rolleyes

When people won't grow up and learn to compromise. (Possible roomate issues are about to spring up, doom is imminent) :(
OMG! Yes, this is one of the many horrors of living in the south. If its not "I seen," its "Hey ya'll," or "Helluva'," or even the dreaded "A'ight." How exactly does one make a contraction out of all and right?
Oh yeah! I don't like when people write out the word "because" just "'cause."

Arrggghhh! That's it, I'm moving(not really).:mad
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams.
"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with." - Marty Feldman.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" - Steven Wright.
The French Biscuit
Lubber
Lubber

Things that tick you off

Post by The French Biscuit »

Originally posted by Orangatan64
OMG! Yes, this is one of the many horrors of living in the south. If its not "I seen," its "Hey ya'll," or "Helluva'," or even the dreaded "A'ight." How exactly does one make a contraction out of all and right?

*makes note to never write 'cause' instead of 'because' in any of her posts* :) Just trying to keep my quota of "people who are mad at me" down.
Don't mess with me, I'm French!
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Things that tick you off

Post by SheCat »

Hmmm, I'm not mad. My peeve is when someone in class isn't paying attention and the teacher takes fifteen minutes to yap at them. Then, they assign the class work as homework! Aaargh! The terror of middle school.

One of my other peeves is when people use *these* to accent a word in a fanfiction. Maybe it's just because you never see it in real writing and it adds a slightly childish effect. Not that I blame anyone for doing this, because I have no idea why I hate them so, so I see no reason why you guys should stop using them for me.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Things that tick you off

Post by Siona »

Agree, SheCat; if they aren't good enough for novels and books, they sure as heck aren't good enough for fics.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Things that tick you off

Post by NightPoofer »

One thing that ticks me off is losing money in the laundry... I like my money really neat and un-tampered with... :LOL I'm strange that way...
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Things that tick you off

Post by Siona »

I hate not having my avatars work!! *points at accusing avatar in own profile* GRR. :bite

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Orangatan64
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Things that tick you off

Post by Orangatan64 »

Originally posted by The French Biscuit
Originally posted by Orangatan64

*makes note to never write 'cause' instead of 'because' in any of her posts* :) Just trying to keep my quota of "people who are mad at me" down.
Awww, I'm not mad at any of you. Honestly, I've gotten used to horrible grammar on forums. In fact, Nightscrawlers has one of the better selections of goons with nice grammar! :P
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams.
"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with." - Marty Feldman.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" - Steven Wright.
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Things that tick you off

Post by NightPoofer »

:LOL You mustn't of met me before Orangatan64 :LOL.

Another thing that ticks me off is people who think I'm anti-social... I'm not anti-social, I'm just not real friendly.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Things that tick you off

Post by SheCat »

People at school dances who wear excessively revealing clothes. There is nothing wrong with a tank-top or a nice skirt, but going into short-shorts and tubies is way too far for middle schoolers.
jimmy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Things that tick you off

Post by jimmy »

more things that tick me off:

People who point at their wrist while asking for the time. I know where my watch is buddy, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the bathroom is?

People who are willing to get off their ass to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Screw off. What good is a goddamn cake if you can't eat it? What, should I eat someone else's cake instead?

When people say "It's always in the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

When people say, while watching a movie "Did you see that?" No dicknose, I paid $9.00 to come to the theatre and stare at the frigging ceiling up there. What did you come here for?

When something is "new and improved", which is it? If it's new, then there has never been anything before it. If it's an improvement, then there must have been something before it.

When a cop pulls you over and then asks if you know how fast you were going? You should know asshole, you frigging pulled me over.

When people say "Life is short." What the hell?? Life is the longest damn thing anyone ever does!! What? Are they going to do something that's longer?

When people ask "Can I BORROW a piece of paper?" Sure, but please don't return the favor! It's one god damn piece of paper!

When you are waiting for the bus and someone ask you "Did the bus come yet?" If the bus came I would not be standing here asshole!

People who ask "Can I ask you a question?" Didn't really give me a choice there, did ya buddy?

Jimmy:evotodd
:respecttoad nick, nick, nick, nick, nick, nick, nick, nick, nickelodeon :D yeah! The First Kids Network :thumbup
And Now you know, 'cause its Mikes Super Short Show!