What? No Harry Potter thread? That's unpossible...

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

:D So here it is - my random take on the movie. There may be tiny, miniscule spoilers, but not enough to warrant the tags, just a warning. Overall, I thought it was great! I actually enjoyed it much more than the previous two. The reasons, I think:

1. They were outside a lot more, which I like. You actually got to see the grounds at Hogwart's and how, for example, you get out the front gate or to the classrooms, or to the Whomping Willow. I didn't just feel like a bunch of amazing sets that weren't really connected.

2. I loved the way the passage of the year was marked by showing the willow in different seasons, a nice touch. In fact, time passing became an important theme and I thought the director did a really nice job of weaving it throughout the movie. Loved the clock!

3. I really like the way they've dealt with the fact that these are kids going through puberty. It was sometimes funny: Harry playing with his wand under the covers :naughty And sometimes really subtle - I really liked how Hermione is still just as much a part of the group, but at the same time, the boys are starting to sense something different and mysterious about her as she matures. There were obvious plot reasons for her secrecy, but I liked how it ended up having a double-meaning.

My only (very) minor complaints:

The cute little guy who plays Harry - I think he's adorable and he certainly looks almost exactly like I pictured Harry (even though he's matured quite a bit) - still is a bit weak in the acting department. It's especially obvious next to Ron and Hermione, who do great jobs. There were a couple of scenes he had that really worked for me and I was like "Yes, that! Do that again!". But, then there were others where he just seemed too stiff.

I think it's still a little weak in translating the plot from the book to the movie, but that's to be expected.

Anyway, a really fun film! All should see it and have a beer or two in celebration after :beer Or not, if you're under age :D
Fuzzy_Elf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Fuzzy_Elf »

I really luved the movie! It is WAY better than the first two movies, which I only liked because Alan Rickman played Snape, but which are actually rather poor movies...but this new director did a great job!
The scenes outside were really great indeed, I luved the landscape! Scotland is SO beautiful!
I think the trio is definately getting better in their acting skills, though Daniel Ratcliff (Harry Potter) is still not very good
SNAPE IS BRILLIANT!! I am in love with that guy all over again! :love I don't think I've ever grinned so much due to one character in a movie....I loved every move, every sentence...that guy is AWESOME!
Trelawney is brilliant as well....Emma Thompson does a GREAT job!
Sirius Black was done well, and the way Lupin behaved was good too (though I still thinks he doesn't look like Lupin at all!! >_< )

**************NOTE!! MINOR SPOILERS DOWN HERE!!!!!**********************

The only thing that could've been better was the fact that they completely ignored why Snape and Sirius hate each other so much, and that James once saved Snape's life.
Also, a friend told me the TimeTurner is seen quite often on Hermione's chest, while it's supposed to be top secret. I didn't notice it myself, but if this is true, then it does suck a bit...
I was a bit disappointed about the fact that they didn't include the scene at the end of the book, when Sirius has escaped and Snape gets really pissed...but that is also very subjective of course, cuz Snape is my all time fav character and I just LUVED that scene in the book...oh well, you can't have it all lol :P
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We're leaving here tonight
There's no need to tell anyone
They'd only hold us down
So by the morning light
We'd be halfway to anywhere
Where love is more than just your name

:: Evanescence - Anywhere ::

:: Current avatar made by Esgalordwen ::

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

:LOL I thought the movie was pretty good... I just didn't like [spoiler]that they didn't really do much quidditch, but, hey! what can I do? Or that they had to run through the same things again... I mean, couldn't they have run through the parts that they had to do again? It's still pretty good though...[/spoiler]
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

I liked it, but I have a few major complaints to make.

1. The. Werewolf. Was. Bald. 'Nuff said.
2. Yeah, Harry's acting kinda comes and goes. I liked his acting in the beginning when he's all angry, but at most other parts he just didn't seem to... I dunno. He lacked something.
3. Not. Enough. Scenes. With. Snape. 'Nuff said.
4. I didn't like how they had to compromise a lot of important information. :(
5. Peter Pettegrew.... :urg He just wasn't how I pictured him... Wasn't he supposed to be all thin?
6. They didn't explain the whole thing with Crookshanks! :(
7. The new director seems to be obsessed with the "fade-in fade-out" effect. o_o Six times, I think. Or seven.

But here are the parts that I liked. :D

1. LOL! Aunt Marge blew up!! Ahahah!! :LOL
2. LOL! The Whomping Willow smashed the bird!! Ahahahahaha!!! :LMAO
3. The Knight Bus was cool! :D
4. Methinks Daniel Radcliffe has gotten cuter, no? :smirk
5. The scene where Snape leans over Harry's desk... :love I had to take a moment to cool myself down after that one...
6. Trelawny was casted beautifully. :D
7. I liked how they made the Dementors distinctly different from Ring Wraiths. I was worried that that would be a big issue, but I think they managed to pull it off well.

That's about it, I think. I'll probably think of more later though. ;)
"I am Phil, Prince of Insufficient light! I darn you to Heck!!" :devil

"Quick, get the video camera! The Professor's sloshed and he's doing wheelies in the rose garden!"

"It's just a flesh wound!"

I AM THE VIRUS SIGNITURE. PUT ME INTO YOUR SIGNITURE BOX SO I MAY REPLICATE!
Fuzzy_Elf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Fuzzy_Elf »

*******SPOILERS*************

About the Quidditch...I think we should be lucky to see Quidditch in the first place, cuz there were rumours that there wouldn't be any Quidditch at all. But I suppose that happened cuz it was said that Oliver Wood wouldn't be seen, and that was right...so I guess that's where that rumour came from lol!

And about Snape....You are SO right Mistress D, there weren't enough scenes with Snape by far! He is SO cool....they should make movies with nothing BUT scenes of him! Though I don't think I'll survive that....:love

And the bald werewolf disappoined me as well...they're supposed to be WAY more hairy...:(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They'd only hold us down
So by the morning light

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

My nit picks:
1. No one explains who Mooney, Padfoot, Wormtail and Prongs are.[spoiler]This leaves out so much--why Harry's Patronis is a Stag (for his father), and how Lupin (who is Mooney) knew what the Maurader's Map was![/spoiler]

2. Not enough Snape...actually there never is:love

Now what I liked:
1. I know the werewolf was bald but[spoiler]dang it..the way they had it move gave me the creeps. Since it is really Lupin, having him being able to walk on all fours and on his hind legs was cool.[/spoiler]

2. Buckbeak...nuff said.

3. I loved the bird-getting-eaten-by-the-tree motif.

4. The Dementors....nuff said.

5. "Page 394." *ooh...shivers!*
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

Originally posted by Tracker
No one explains who Mooney, Padfoot, Wormtail and Prongs are.[spoiler]This leaves out so much--why Harry's Patronis is a Stag (for his father), and how Lupin (who is Mooney) knew what the Maurader's Map was![/spoiler]
I was wondering about that , too. It certainly seemed like they should have mentioned it at the end, when Harry's talking to Lupin. Maybe they just figured it was obvious enough from the nicknames that audiences who haven't read the books would still get it :?
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

Originally posted by Tracker

5. "Page 394." *ooh...shivers!*

Heeheeheehee... I think it's some kind of code. ^_^ Now, If he had said page 69, that would have been REALLY nasty... :D ;) :love

"Quick, get the video camera! The Professor's sloshed and he's doing wheelies in the rose garden!"

Fuzzy_Elf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Fuzzy_Elf »

Oh bad girl! ;)

*drools* Page 394....:love :kiss :faint :D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They'd only hold us down
So by the morning light

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

Heh. ^_^ Okay, this isn't the "TPAM" thread, but TPAM has been added to my buddy list! yay! ^_^
Okay, back on subject, who thinks the Weasly Twins look better with their hair grown out?

Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

Originally posted by Mistress D
Okay, back on subject, who thinks the Weasly Twins look better with their hair grown out?
I do! But did they remind anyone else of the Beatles? Red-haired ones anyway. In Chamber they should have sung "Baby, you can Drive My Car":LOL
~Flogging Molly

Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

I got to see it last night. Yes, I'm the sort of person who goes to movies on a weekday, before 6pm. That way you both get a matinee rate and are guaranteed entry into the most popular of movies. As proof, there as NO line for Harry Potter, and maybe 20 people in the entire theater. ;)

What will stick out for me as a pinnacle of success for special effects and book-to-movie translation is Buckbeak. That was the most perfect example of a hippogriff I have ever seen brought to life. :love They took from one of the more distinctive raptors for his "bird" half, an Ornate Hawk-Eagle, and put it together with a dappled gray. The way the feathers raised on the back of his head, the way he galloped as he flew, the way he expressed himself: all was plausible and understandable, giving a hint of intellect and sentience without undue anthropomorphising. Bucky was a work of art, and worth the price of admission alone.

And now for the spoiler tags....

[spoiler] You can definitely see a different director's influence here.

In the previous movies, you rarely saw any student out of uniform, and those times were when they were off-campus only. And the clothing was classic, still having a relative formality or 1800s influence. Here, it's hard to tell the difference between Hogwarts and any other school. Literally half the time, our threesome is in jeans, Nikes, and sweaters. The only thing that could have made it MORE casual would be the inclusion of T-shirts. I've got mixed emotions over this. Yes, it is good to be able to see the students as real people. When coupled with that "animal candy" scene early on, having casual clothing grounds the kids in reality. It proves that they're real people, with real emotions, real friendships, real internal needs.

But this very grounding takes away from the fantasy element of wizard life. It's so strange to see Hogsmeade-bound students wearing literally the same stuff you'd find at any High School in America, and yet the adults are wearing early 1800s-influenced formal gear. This is more than just "kids wear sweatshirts, adults wear Armani suits"; it makes the kids look more like muggles than wizards.

The outdoor vistas were great, and the Whomping Willow, also known as the world's biggest Venus Flytrap, was a welcome bit of humor. (You'd think those birds would learn after a good 20 or so years....) The only problem with them is that suddenly Hagrid's place has been moved roughly 200 miles further away from the entrance and exit of Hogwarts. In the first movie, it was just a walk across the lawn, visible from the entrance. Now you have to go quite a ways to get to it, at least a 10 minute walk. It may be that Hagrid was deliberately moved sometime in the plot, which would explain the slightly different look of the place. But since that was left out, we're left to wonder just why our sense of space and time took such a left turn between films.

And speaking of Space and Time, the "time" references were everywhere. The massive, gothic clock setup at one of the entrances; the standing calendar stones; even a "throwaway shot" of an older student reading Stephen Hawkins' A Brief History of Time. (That last one I also have mixed emotions about. It could be taken to mean that some kids are still interested in muggles, that Stephen's theories are truly universal, or that maybe Stephen has some wizarding parentage that we aren't aware of.... But, once again, it brings the muggle world into Hogwarts, and disrupts that fantasy feel: science has very little place in a world where you can inflate people like balloons.)

Hermoine's "time twister" is only prominent if you consciously look for it. If you're searching for it, you'll see she's wearing a chain in two classroom scenes out of 20 or 30, and in one of those scenes she's tucking the chain in her uniform. Otherwise, you don't see it at all, until it's revealed at the end. Actually, it's very subtle. It's just all the time hints bring it out more to those who've read the book.

But having read the book, and knowing that poor Hermoine was self-destructing from lack of sleep, I was hoping to see a bit more of that in the film. Just the fact she had a worse-than-average temper wasn't enough for me. I wanted the effects of long-term sleep deprivation, dammit! Anyone who's done an all-nighter and looked at themselves in the morning knows what it's like. I wanted sallow skin, sunken cheeks, incomplete grooming, a dulled look in the eyes. Instead, I got a minor hissy fit in Trelawny's class, and an outburst at Malfoy.

Speaking of Malfoy... forget how much Harry and Ron have grown. Look at Malfoy! 0_0 Jesus, I almost didn't recognize him at all! The distinctive "Malfoy" features (sneer, blond hair, snobbery) are there, but he could just as well have been replaced with another actor. He's really growing fast! I wager he's gonna be 6 feet tall when he finishes, if not taller.

The new Dumbledore was perfect. He settled right into Sir Ian's role like he'd been doing it all his life. And the performances by the others, both newcomers like Trelawney and Lupin and old favorites Snape and Hagrid, were stellar as always. I was delighted with the casting for Cornelius; he was the perfect, petty bureaucrat, something that will become more and more important as the movies progress with the books. But I was disappointed with the executioner. I'm not sure why they cast him as a hunchbacked "Igor", because in the book he was a tall, strong, and handsome (if evil) man. That was such a departure, for no obvious plot reason, that it left me with ever-famous mental whiplash. [/spoiler]

The movie is worth seeing. It's well-done. Yes, many parts of Rowling's book have been left out, but her books are so richly-detailed that there's no way to bring them to life in their entirity. It would be a disaster. As is, this one is a good 2+ hours long. They chose carefully which parts to discard and change. My only "I'm not so sure of that" moments were solely with the director's style.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Fuzzy_Elf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Fuzzy_Elf »

Originally posted by Mistress D
Heh. ^_^ Okay, this isn't the "TPAM" thread, but TPAM has been added to my buddy list! yay! ^_^

OOOoooo cool! I'll add you as well...you'll be my first friend on this board!! :D

Back on topic lol

********SPOILERS**********
(still didn't figure out the spoiler code thingy....:blush: )

Maelstrom: I agree with you that the new director's approach clashed a bit with the magical world now and then, but it didn't *really* bothered me. Though I agree with you when you say that some of the new features disrupts the magical feeling, I really luved the new approach mostly. There's a lot more humor in this movie and the trio *finally* begins to act a bit decently! As a matter of fact, I think this movie really was a good movie, whereas I only liked the previous two because Snape was in it...*drools* :love :P
But anyway, it's true that some parts of the book were missing, but like you said, it's almost impossible to put every detail of the book in a movie, it's way too complex for that.
And about all the little hints about time...well you mustn't forget that this movie is meant for children. Even though it's rated for a bit older children now (9 instead of 6), they're still children, and perhaps it easy for us to pick up the little hints, for them it might be a bit harder to figure out what's going on, so I guess that's why the director put in so many hints...didn't even bothered me too much, really :)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They'd only hold us down
So by the morning light

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

Okay, I know Dobby was in Chamber, but I've been re-reading the books, and I had to share:
Image "Hurt Harry Potter, you shall not!"
~Flogging Molly

Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Happy Birthday

Post by Tracker »

Today is Harry Potter's (and J.K. Rowling's) birthday! :bday
(The pic below is from The Leaky Cauldron)

~Flogging Molly

bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

Well, since this thread's already been hijacked (and your welcome to it :)) I thought I'd post a couple links to some fanart that all who love Harry Potter should see... yep, that means you!

The Harry Potter universe is so popular - they seem to get all the best fanartists and fanfic writers (we've got some good ones , too , of course ;))

Check out these artist's work - absolutely breathtaking! Makes me wonder if JK Rowling has ever contacted them and asked to buy (or just asked to have) the originals:

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/fanq/g/o/ ... even2.html

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/fanq/a/n/ ... neth3.html